displaying posts 176 to 200 of 212

Pages (9): first .. 7 [8] 9

Author Subject: Denis's Rallye
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #176
2018 Sep

While changing rear beam bearings – made proper puller for the inner ones (m10 thread was stripping, so had to replace with M12)

________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 20:55
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #177
2019 Feb

Freshly refurbished Compomotive CXRs





________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 20:56
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #178
2019 Mar

Been finding that with the normal oil cooler (oil-air) the oil was running too cold during winter. Got around to installing Laminova cooler (oil-water – similar to standard 306 cooler, just larger).
To make space for the cooler – the battery was relocated behind the passenger seat.









________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 20:56
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #179
2019 Apr

Re-built my spare Blue Flame exhaust to make sure that it is 2.5” all the way through. It had several points where it was narrowing down closer to 2” (at the joints). Also took the opportunity to build a sports cat from a spare de-cat and Magnaflow core.

For welding used my MIG welder (308 wire and Arg/CO2 mix).















________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 20:58
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #180
2019 June

Visited local Cars and Coffee event






________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 14th Aug 2022 at 17:55
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #181
After 9 years with my e46 330i – decided to get something a bit fresher for daily driving: 140i



________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 20:58
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #182
2020 Feb

Outing to Cadwell park, just before the pandemics








________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 14th Aug 2022 at 17:55
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Co. Durham

Registered: 12 Feb 2009

Posts: 2,401

Status: Offline

Post #183
Good to see this is still going strong Thumbs up

________________________________________

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 16th Aug 2022 at 21:12
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Location: Reading/parts for sale

Registered: 21 Nov 2008

Posts: 4,299

Status: Offline

Post #184
Yeah glad to see you sorted her. Noel has been asking after you and all.

________________________________________

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!


SEARCH

click here
Posted 17th Aug 2022 at 12:28
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Location: DoncastAAAAARGH

Registered: 13 Jan 2008

Posts: 4,640

Status: Offline

Post #185
Nice update Thumbs up

________________________________________

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Aug 2022 at 17:57
99rallye

Regular

Location: Hitchin

Registered: 26 Aug 2009

Posts: 348

Status: Offline

Post #186
I'm also so happy to see this still being loved and used. Please keep the updates coming 😍
Posted 18th Aug 2022 at 13:17
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 5,213

Status: Offline

Post #187
Even though we have spoke over the years Denis it’s fantastic to see you still have the love for the 306

Fantastic update and speak soon my friend Thumbs up
Posted 18th Aug 2022 at 22:16
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Location: North West

Registered: 17 Jan 2006

Posts: 2,937

Status: Offline

Post #188
Nice work.

How much difference do the stiffer springs make on track? I've a set of AVO's on mine, not sure of the spring rate but sometime feel they maybe a little too soft so was thinking of possibly going a with something where I know the rate and working it from there.

Also like the strut brace. Im about to fit some Baker BM top mounts to mine and may look at doing something similar.

________________________________________

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey


Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 19th Aug 2022 at 08:32
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bucks

Registered: 25 Feb 2007

Posts: 2,437

Status: Offline

Post #189
Glad to see this one still going strong
Posted 19th Aug 2022 at 18:16
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #190
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Lots of updates to come Smile

________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 21:21
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #191
ben306 wrote:
Nice work.

How much difference do the stiffer springs make on track? I've a set of AVO's on mine, not sure of the spring rate but sometime feel they maybe a little too soft so was thinking of possibly going a with something where I know the rate and working it from there.

Also like the strut brace. Im about to fit some Baker BM top mounts to mine and may look at doing something similar.


With the stiffer springs the load transfer happens faster - so the car becomes more responsive, but starts to put a lot more demand on how well other components are chosen. So, by just putting stiff springs at the front - will shift the balance towards understeer until the back is adjusted to match.

A while back, I suggested the following springs/bars to have a good overall balance (based on my observations):

Rear bars Rear stiffer % Front springs

20mm 100% 110lb (i.e. standard)
21mm 122% 150-180lb (i.e. Eibach 7011)
23.5mm 191% 300-350lb (i.e. 306 BTCC)
25mm 244% 450lb

Off the shelf coilovers for 306 normally have springs between 275lb and 350lb.
Faulkners springs are inexpensive and readily available - worth trying out.

Also, I found that with a stiff setup - car's operating window is much narrower, so you have to keep on top of tyre pressures, camber etc. Makes it tricky to drive in changeable conditions.

________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 21:22
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #192
When doing work on the back of a 306 – I find it easiest to lift it on the beam tube. As it is a fairly high - I made a new saddle for my jack to utilise most of its travel:




________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 21:48
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #193
Summer 2020

Even though the car looked good in the pictures, up close most of the panels had issues and the lacquer started to lift on the roof. Plus, usual rust issues meant that I decided to tidy up the shell. However, there was no space in the garage for all the parts that needed to come off the car.
So, decision was to re-arrange the garden and put in a 16x8 storage shed.

After a bit of market research: all the usual sheds were badly made and expensive for what you get. Solution was to design and build my own.











Shed – some self-assembly required Smile










________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 22:00
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #194
Next was to re-organise the garage and arrange some storage space.

I had some old storage cases that appeared to be not very useful, but made excellent drawers (and base for Halfords toolbox)







Some more drawers to utilize space under the workbench.






________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 22:09
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #195
Garage ready for work on the car to start Smile




________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 21st Aug 2022 at 22:13
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Location: North West

Registered: 17 Jan 2006

Posts: 2,937

Status: Offline

Post #196
russian guy wrote:
ben306 wrote:
Nice work.

How much difference do the stiffer springs make on track? I've a set of AVO's on mine, not sure of the spring rate but sometime feel they maybe a little too soft so was thinking of possibly going a with something where I know the rate and working it from there.

Also like the strut brace. Im about to fit some Baker BM top mounts to mine and may look at doing something similar.


With the stiffer springs the load transfer happens faster - so the car becomes more responsive, but starts to put a lot more demand on how well other components are chosen. So, by just putting stiff springs at the front - will shift the balance towards understeer until the back is adjusted to match.

A while back, I suggested the following springs/bars to have a good overall balance (based on my observations):

Rear bars Rear stiffer % Front springs

20mm 100% 110lb (i.e. standard)
21mm 122% 150-180lb (i.e. Eibach 7011)
23.5mm 191% 300-350lb (i.e. 306 BTCC)
25mm 244% 450lb

Off the shelf coilovers for 306 normally have springs between 275lb and 350lb.
Faulkners springs are inexpensive and readily available - worth trying out.

Also, I found that with a stiff setup - car's operating window is much narrower, so you have to keep on top of tyre pressures, camber etc. Makes it tricky to drive in changeable conditions.


Thanks for explaining that, makes sense.

I think for now I'll just play with the camber (just got Baker top mounts) and perhaps try and slow down the damping a little and see how I get on from there.

Im only on 21mm bars at the back and the car overall does OK, its probably more my abilities that let it down.

________________________________________

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey


Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 22nd Aug 2022 at 08:45
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Location: North West

Registered: 17 Jan 2006

Posts: 2,937

Status: Offline

Post #197
russian guy wrote:
Garage ready for work on the car to start Smile




So much better to have inside space to work on the car. mine got ruined being sat on a damp drive for 6 year while we did up the last house. Bodywork on mine isnt good now and had to do a fair bit of welding on it with more to do at a later date.

Since moving and having proper garage space, I've actually enjoyed working on the car again and getting back out on the trackdays etc. Such a difference not having to depend on weather and "pack up" tools etc half way through jobs.

Be good to see how you keep getting on with this one fella Thumbs up

________________________________________

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey


Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 22nd Aug 2022 at 08:49
jeffers Forum Admin

Location: Leeds

Registered: 14 Dec 2003

Posts: 3,702

Status: Offline

Post #198
Denis,
Cracking updates! Sorry for my VERY slow PM reply. Please message back when you see this.
Lee

________________________________________

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 26th Aug 2022 at 04:25
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 5,213

Status: Offline

Post #199
Fantastic Denis Thumbs up

Did you get the rear dampers sorted out in the end ?
Posted 28th Aug 2022 at 17:17
Denis

Regular

Location: Cambridge

Registered: 07 Sep 2004

Posts: 491

Status: Offline

Post #200
Day666 wrote:
Fantastic Denis Thumbs up

Did you get the rear dampers sorted out in the end ?


Thanks!

No - did not get around to it yet Roll eyes

________________________________________

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 4th Sep 2022 at 17:49

Pages (9): first .. 7 [8] 9

All times are GMT. The time is now 00:40

The Peugeot GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club - ©2024 all rights reserved.

Please Note: The views and opinions found herein are those of individuals, and not of The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club or any individuals involved.
No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on, or in relation to, this website. Please see our updated privacy policy.