displaying posts 26 to 50 of 58

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Bluestuff NDX....yes, I know, ebc, run away...
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
jeffers wrote:
ben306 wrote:
lotek wrote:
LOL

i suppoese being mintex they will be cheaper too so win-win

the ds2500 pads are the worst pads ever!!
i dont rate them at all. i got given a set from a friend for advertising his company.
i would never buy a set after these.

I doubt Ill be using another set of DS2500 now after them falling to bits and them now wanting to replace them.

what do you recommend?

Ben how old were your 2500's?? mine crumbled a bit and i actually phoned.... the name escapes me now, the people who own ferodo anyway and they sad it had been an issue and the compound had been adjusted slightly to cure the problem but i've not had a new set since so can't comment....Unsure

I put them on for snetterton. That was back in Early August. They where only 3 weeks/600 miles old with a few laps on snetterton when they had crumbled away to nothing.

Sent them back and have been told its a caliper issue. Funny thing is the 3 or 4 sets of DS2500 before that where all right and fine. And the set of STANDARD pads Ive put on did the rest of snetterton, a few thousand miles and silverstone last week and still have a load of meat left on them.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 18:55
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #27
Hmmm i'd like to know more about these Mintex F6 pads though.... i think i'll have a nose round tonight when i proper net access....Unsure

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 19:04
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Im the same, interested in teh F6's but cant seem to find much on them.

Jeffers.

Ive started another post HERE about the DS2500's, trying to see if theres a bit more to this than I originally thought

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 19:16
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
SteviePut wrote:
Phil, can you find out if they'll be available to fit my wilwoods? The smart pads i have are ok but i think they lack the initial bite of some others. I'm willing to give them a try on yous say so anyway LOL

Bluestuff, or the F4/6s?

I've only done about 50 miles on the blues so I'm not giving them the thumbs up yet LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 21:00
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
The blue stuff mate. Dont worry tho if they're poor LOL

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 21:25
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
These look like the right ones:

Clicky

But I've sent Andy an e-mail just to make sure they're the latest compound.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 15th Sep 2010 at 21:59
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
phillipm wrote:

Clicky

Laugh my ass off I can't remember what they look like tbh. I've not took them out since I fitted them.

Off topic slightly, how much would it cost me for you to supply some competition 2 piece (alloy bells and rotors) in the same offset as an original disc? I believe they can be upto 24mm thick for my calipers but no bigger in diameter. But I think you'll know betterSmile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 01:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
I'll price 'em up and see, it'll be a while yet though as the machines are busy with other work.

Email me!
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 03:02
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
phillipm wrote:
I'll price 'em up and see, it'll be a while yet though as the machines are busy with other work.

It'll be while till I can afford to do itLOL

Out of interest, how much wider can I go with my calipers? I did look it up once but I can't even remember which ones I haveLOL 24 or 25mm rings a bellWink

Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 03:06
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Would you be able to make wilwoods fit without spacers?

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 03:40
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
smegal wrote:
Would you be able to make wilwoods fit without spacers?

I think the answer is yes. You just need to move the disc inwards by 10mm or soSmile Not sure how far you can go before you start hitting the lower ball joint tho. I think Chris (Farmer) knows the measurementSmile

Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 03:44
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
I'm keen on going down that route.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 16th Sep 2010 at 15:09
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #38
Interesting thread... I'm currently thinking about what pads to use with my 310mm Renault Brembo setup.

I've used DS1.11 in the past and although an excellent pad the dust they give off is very difficult to clean off wheels and bodywork Laugh

The Mintex F6 pads are getting very good reviews from a couple of people who already run them so I was going to order a set of those, but as I'm in no rush to get the setup onto the car I'll wait and see how these work out for you.

Rich
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 02:03
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Looks like I better crank some milage on then LOL

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 02:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
SteviePut wrote:
phillipm wrote:

Clicky

Laugh my ass off I can't remember what they look like tbh. I've not took them out since I fitted them.

He's e-mailed me back, if you get the above ones and just put in the notes that you want the DM2116SC compound then they should sort you out with the new version.

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 03:19
kiruji

Post #41
EBC donated a full set of standard discs and made some Bluestuff pads for our charity 'Ring Challenge cars - one 1994 BMW 525i and one 1997 Nissan Maxima.

We found them to be as good as the OEM brakes from cold, but with the advantage of not fading.

Driving the cars around the Ring however, we found that they were excellent. As they got up to temp, they really bit hard and, although they started to smell a bit after repeated runs, they never showed even a hint of fade!

Both cars did several laps of the Ring before driving back to the hotel and then the 600 miles home. Neither driver ever had anything but total confidence in the brakes.

I'd recommend Bluestuff to anyone with a heavier car, but I'd love to see how good they are on a smaller car.

We were so impressed by them that I'm looking into buying some for my 306 GTi and my Nissan 200SX (S13) (EBC recommended I got Yellowstuff for both) and another guy on the trip ordered a full set of Redstuff for his old man Jag as soon as he returned.

This might sound like an ad, but I don't care. Big grin

And I'm still driving around in the 525i, I love it.

The only downside I can think of is they squeal a bit with the standard discs. Oh, and they make a bit of a noise when braking. Both are bearable.
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 21:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
You do have to bear in mind my discs mean the pads work from cold where they might not bite quite so hard on a standard disc setup - they're find from cold on mine which is only just over a ton and only the wee 1.4, but it might not be the case on a standard disc.

Anyway, up to to 210 miles now, pedal feel is excellent - I'd say better than either 1144's or 2500's, again, bite from cold is just as hard, if not a touch harder, than 1144's, but they do get notably better after a couple of stops.
Still a little rumbly when cold but it's going away as they bed in further, haven't pushed them hard yet for fade resistance but give me a week and we'll see.

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 22:02
kiruji

Post #43
We've covered well over 2,000 miles on them in each car now (1,200 was the trip to Nurburg and back) without any problems at all.

Even from cold with standard discs, they bite as well as the OEM setup did.

I'm seriously impressed with them.
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 22:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
I'm gonna whip them out again in a couple of weeks and then a few months later and check for the old EBC crumbling/lifting problem. Andy reckoned it's sorted with the new binders and backing pad so worth a look.

Tbh, I was expecting them to be shite cold, decent warm, squeal like f*ck and eat my discs LOL
But so far they seem like a decent alternative to 1144/1155/DS2500's and at the minute they're just getting better as the miles pile on. Dunno

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2010 at 22:44
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Any update on these Phil?

Had my pads out today and there's not much left LOL

Curiously I found the pads on the offside worn un-evenly. i.e looking at the side of the pads it's worn diagonally rather than flat. Would you say they could do with bleeding more? I was planning on getting some AP fluid for it anywaySmile

Posted 25th Sep 2010 at 17:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Check the caliper mounts are clean from any corrosion - could be the actual caliper that's not quite square to the disc.

Anyway, so far, so good, still no noise, still working just as well as 1144's from cold, and I reckon they're probably about 15% more outright braking power than 1144's as soon as they get a touch of heat.
Initial bite is good, pedal feel is still better than the 1144's was, dust seems to be on a par with 1144 but it's a little 'sticky' - like Ferrodo's - a bit harder to clean off but not in elbow grease + acid wheel cleaner league.
As far as I can tell they don't seem to be chewing into the disc, but I haven't done enough miles for a wear review yet.

EBC class it as their new race/endurance pad, but I reckon they might actually have just made their first decent track/road pad LOL
I'll keep updating as it goes on.

Email me!
Posted 26th Sep 2010 at 07:10
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
phillipm wrote:
Check the caliper mounts are clean from any corrosion - could be the actual caliper that's not quite square to the disc.

I'm not so sure it's the above mate. If that was the case both pads on that side would be un-even. It's only the outer pads that has worn unevenly. It's looks as if one piston has been pushing harder than the other - if that makes senseLOL

Posted 26th Sep 2010 at 12:41
ash

Six Addict

Post #48
That could be a worn wheel bearing, meaning that the brakes are trying to stand the wheel up when braking.
Posted 26th Sep 2010 at 17:57
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
ash wrote:
That could be a worn wheel bearing, meaning that the brakes are trying to stand the wheel up when braking.

Hmm Cheers Ash.

I'd feel play in said bearing if it was that worn wouldn't I?

Posted 26th Sep 2010 at 20:16
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Should be able to, stick a dial guage on the hub to the rim and give it a rock, see how much play it's got.

Email me!
Posted 27th Sep 2010 at 01:10

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3