displaying posts 1 to 25 of 59

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: From the brink to the track
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
After buying my P3 Diablo GTi6 from Roland Rat back in 2009, I ran it for around two years with almost no problems, but then I quit my job and went self employed so was unable to justify a few hundred quid a month just to keep a bit of a laugh on the road. I then parked it outside my house, with the idea of sorting it out over the coming months. That was January 2011. I may have taken a bit of a break since I started messing about with it the January just gone, just to confirm that I am writing this in 2013, I may have been a bit slow on the uptake.

Anyway I have started now and for some reason I didn't take photos from the start, maybe because I couldn't be arsed, maybe I forgot. Pick whichever one you think would make you happier, anyway we've all seen a 306 being taken apart, it's just seeing how they've put it back together that counts

I'm going to be building it as mainly a track car but not going all the way, like stripping the carpet and cutting the dash out. My nearest comparison to what I am going for is the Megane R26R, track car but still comfortable.

In an attempt to keep the costs down I've been buying as much as I can from this forum, there seem to be bargains on here every week and I just can't turn down a bargain. I'm not trying to be a tight bas**rd, I just can't justify spending a fortune at the moment although I will be getting my tax rebate in the next few weeks so there will be a stack of shiny bits building up Smile

Happened so far:

Strip rear end to the fuel tank, rust bullet, red oxide primer and then two coats of weathershield ✓
Rebuild rear beam - After doing my 205 one I swore to never do one again. That is why I had Jord294 to rebuild one for me and it is amazing. I've not driven on it, it just looks the nuts. Although I didn't do it ✓
Refit rear beam on new solid mounts ✓
Strip rear seats and sound deadening ✓

I didn't get a photo of my rear beam before I fitted it, here's a photo of Elliots though which is almost identical except he went for new bars because he has so much money to throw Smile

I've only gone as far as the floor pan infront of the fuel tank for now, I'll be doing that section later on once the car is on the road. A mate of mine has a proper ramp that I can use to get under it, since it's only a quick job compared to the months that it has taken to get here!

This is the patch (maybe larger than a patch) that I was talking about in another thread. I would strongly advise that anyone who hasn't removed their skirts does so to see what is lurking under there. If this had been left much longer it may well have been the end of the shell Sad

This is the car as it looks in the back now, it's a car/garage all in one!

I've been hoarding bits to go on the car and I've got some bargains waiting to go on.

£165 for a full set of Brembo's, 2 x sets of pads and discs to go with them although I will be going for the G88's just to make sure that I don't get the horrific squeal that some have had with them.

I bought a Jetex exhaust of Roland, a Viper induction from Jorg and I bought a lovely set of wheels of Greenbelt!

I thought they were amazing looking wheels, only for me to find out that they fouled on my Brembo's. Luckily within about half hour of posting a thread about what to do, FordyGTI said he was happy to trade with a set of Turini's that he had which actually clear the brakes and the next day I also bought a set of PR1.2's for £200 without tyres (Both 16" BTW) So I've got all the wheels that I could ever need Yes

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 14th Apr 2013 at 17:36
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
And I just had a message saying that the wheels will be with me on Tuesday. Great news

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 14th Apr 2013 at 17:38
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:

I would strongly advise that anyone who hasn't removed their skirts does so to see what is lurking under there. If this had been left much longer it may well have been the end of the shell Sad

^^^ Agree with this. All it takes is someone jacking the car in the wrong place a few years ago and you end up with something nasty like that. The damage gives somewhere for the rust to get a hold. As the metal is galvanised, it won't readily rust without damage and then lashings of salt over a few winters. Agree that the middle sill is in need of remedial action.

I got a new OE middle sill for £10 on ebay and a pattern 5-door outer sill (the 3-door sill includes the whole side of the car) is about £55 delivered from Imperial. I'm hoping most of the lower section of the 5-door sill can be used as repair panels on a 3-door car.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Apr 2013 at 00:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The 5 door one is longer so you'll have to chop it down but it might work.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th Apr 2013 at 00:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
try removing parts when you wan to paint the underside...

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th Apr 2013 at 08:39
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Well it's only the ABS cabling and brake lines that I've painted over, these will be going soon as the ABS is going and I'm going to run a single line through the car. I thought it would be an issue with the insurance but I've spoken to them and they don't have an issue with it, as long as it meets the braking performance levels of the MOT they are happy. When I have a claim, it may be another story...

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 18th Apr 2013 at 20:37
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
About time you sorted out a thread though, I saw that photo then and was like, Man that looks kike mine, I know they were the same but i was properly confused for a sec.

Then i scrolled down Razz

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 18th Apr 2013 at 20:51
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Yeah, I did get a photo of it from Andy but deleted the message and can't find where I saved the picture. Mine looks better since the bars are red LOL

Got some more on today aswell, no point of any photo's since they are boring pointless things that can wait till other stuff is on to get photos.

I've fitted the rear discs and pads, although for some reason the Brembo pads that came had a little block on the rear of every pad, the old ones only had this on the outside pad, not the inner which is against the piston, but I had to grind that off as it stopped the piston from sitting properly.

Fitted my nice new Baker BM linkages and I'm not sure whether the old ones were just really worn, but the throw is now tight as, well happy with those for 40 bucks.

Got the thermostat back in and then stuck all the batterybox, ECU ect back together and finally chucked a final coat on the front crossmember, which the rad sits on. It had quite a bit of rust and since I've got Rust bullet left from the rear end I thought I would put it to good use. Fitted the Viper induction kit, but I don't know whether to take the feed from the standard style snorkel or fog light feed. I do like the fogs and it's not called 'sunny South Wales' so I'll be sucking up rivers of water unless I drive in the one day of sunny weather we get in Wales.

I also cut out the rot that is shown above, it isn't that bad once you cut it out and I've managed to get back to clean metal without having to butcher half the car, although if anyone is going to grind the sills do take note that the sound deadening inside is very flammable and I didn't notice until my neighbour pointed out as she thought my car was on fire.

Chucked the tyres on the wheels that I had off FordyGTI, ready to go on now. Also means one less job to do.

New jobs left list:

Fit rear brake lines (waiting for them)
Weld up hole
Paint sills. Rust bullet, primer, paint.
Refit skirts
Fit radiator, bumper, slam panel, headlights ect.
Strip front suspension, change all bushes, TRE, droplinks ect
Strip, rust bullet, primer, paint the front arches (Plus get some liners to keep it tidy)

T99 PUG had a set of KW V2's up for sale but I just wasn't quick enough. Bloody gutted, have to settle for some B8's instead Sad

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th Apr 2013 at 23:46
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Still no photo's, I didn't finish working on it till half nine by which time it was pitch black and was working by halogen lights. The neighbours actually think I am mental now, although a few have stopped to talk to me about it since they can now see it going back together. They don't think I'm as much of a gypsy any more, still a bit, but not totally.

Anyway onto progress report:

Refitted the radiator, slam panel and headlights. Nice easy job, but I think the slam panel is going to be coming back off. I didn't spray it since I was keen to crack on but it's just doing my head in now since it looks a mess compared to the rest of the stuff that I've clean. It will only take an hour or so of work so seems worth it.

I also got onto stripping the suspension. I was hoping to do this yesterday but I though that my spring compressor and ball joint splitter hadn't arrived until I checked in my utility room today and seen that Royal Mail had left it on top of my washing machine with no note through the front door.

I am now the proud owner of a massive chipped bone on my hand where I missed the splitter with the hammer and ploughed it into my ham fisted hand. That was on the first joint, but I carried on, fueled by tea and managed to get the shocks and wishbones off, along with the TRE's AND got the the new TRE's on. Waiting now to get some Rich_W rollers on there and also to buy some B8's. New top bushes for the shocks and hopefully I'll be on the road by this time next month!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 22:40
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Lot of work going into thisThumbs up

Pretty sure you need the little block on the rear of inner pad to stop piston turningDunno
It should sit in the + shaped cut out in the pistonYes
Presume you have wound the pistons back into the caliper correctly?Wink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 22:47
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
what kev said.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 22:55
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Well I've been waiting to do it for a while, just since I started doing the work outside in February we have had no nice weather! Now it's come around I'm making the most of it!

Yeah I wound them back correctly, there are no lines on them at the moment so they went in easily. The old ones didn't have them on and they worked so not sure if that is the issue, the tab on the back of the new ones was much larger than the groove taken out of the piston on the caliper so wasn't able to do it. It sort of serves me right for getting them from Ebay, although they are Brembo ones

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 21st Apr 2013 at 22:56
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Looking forward to seeing this at LLandow!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 22nd Apr 2013 at 22:44
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
And me. Just got to get it there now! LOL

Someone sell me their KW V2's and I'll be sorted. I don't want to buy the B8's only for the V2's to come up for sale a month later, I think it's going to have to happen though.

Stripped the shocks down today so go the top mounts ready for when I get some shocks to go with them. I'm a bit tempted to just chuck the springs on the standard shocks when they come just to get it on the road, scrap getting the B8's and just hold on until some V2's come one here. Hmm

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I also need some nice weather, his outdoor garage business is doing my head in!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 22nd Apr 2013 at 22:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Yes, working outside is a pain especially when it starts raining just after painting something! I was wanting to get a few extra details sorted such as black masks and bonnet + bumper painted before driving it but ended up doing some painting myself as I just want to drive it now. While we've got some semi-acceptable (but really still rubbish) weather.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th May 2013 at 00:29
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I was hoping to have one of FordyGTI's bonnets but they are not coming with hinge points so I've spoke to Adam B about getting mine wrapped (the paint is shot and I see no other option in diablo, it doesn't paint match and everyone else's diablo is loosing laqeuer like it's going out of fashion) £70 all in sounds like a bloody bargain.

Just waiting for Rich_W to get back to me about the Rollers which I ordered with him a week ago, I ordered them ages ago but Elliot snuck the last set from the last batch away from me. Although I did beat him to some rose jointed drop links today. Swings and roundabouts as they say! I'm holding out for someone to sell their V2's, but if not then there will be some B8's flying on the thing for now. I need the car on the road soon, I've not driven some power in a car for weeks!

Still hounding anyone that sells something even remotely supercharged for bits, though nobody is breaking at the moment, but when they do...

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 25th May 2013 at 00:41
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Little update for the 306, I've got the wheels changed and on. on the rear (Not sure if I said that already but I've not put photos up). Didn't manage to make it to Llandaw as I am still waiting for the Rich_W Rollers. I've also got the Gaz Gold coilovers that I bought of Velar, which I picked up on Sunday, they look the business and have made me re-evaluate what I am going to do with the 6, I think I'm making it into an almost dedicated track car, due to the camber and how hard these front shocks are. I'm currently looking for a hybrid ARB to see if that along with the 21mm TB's are stiff enough, but if not I'm going to be going for something larger (24mm maybe), so I'm sure I'll be off to North Wales again to pay Jordz a visit at some point.

Front shocks

This is as it sits at the moment, once I get the rollers I can finish the front end and then there are just some small things to sort out, mainly cosmetic (side skirts, hockey sticks, bonnet respray or maybe fibreglass now)

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 4th Jun 2013 at 21:03
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Great work, keep it up.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th Jun 2013 at 22:40
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Looking good! Like i say if you ever need a hand give me a shout!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 4th Jun 2013 at 22:57
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:

Just waiting for Rich_W to get back to me about the Rollers which I ordered with him a week ago, I ordered them ages ago but Elliot snuck the last set from the last batch away from me. Although I did beat him to some rose jointed drop links today. Swings and roundabouts as they say!

Me 2
You 1

SUCK ON THAT!
Big grin

Posted 4th Jun 2013 at 22:58
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
eliotrw wrote:
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:

Just waiting for Rich_W to get back to me about the Rollers which I ordered with him a week ago, I ordered them ages ago but Elliot snuck the last set from the last batch away from me. Although I did beat him to some rose jointed drop links today. Swings and roundabouts as they say!

Me 2
You 1

SUCK ON THAT!
Big grin

Have you got everything that you wanted then or is there still something that I could sneak from under your nose? I'm sure there is something that I can snipe from the forum infront of you

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 5th Jun 2013 at 19:03
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I'm thinking...

Other than the droplinks, I "think" no.
Unless you pick up a brand new supercharger off here or something.
Then I WILL be p**sed.

Hey who knows though right?

Posted 5th Jun 2013 at 19:07
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
I may attack the Rotrex distribution warehouse in an attempt to foil your plans. If I'm not going low boost, nobody is!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 5th Jun 2013 at 19:09
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Well progress report, I received the roller bearings from Rich today at about 12:30, by 3:30 they were all in and both the P-Bushes had been tacked to the wishbone thanks to the welder on site with me. Handy as hell that site has been now, also managed to use some 10mm rod, square washers and some sockets to press the other side in

With those here I could really get stuck into working, I've got the two front wishbones on, along with the Phillip_M lower strut brace, which of course was a second hand item, thanks Roland! I just love a bargain. It could have done with a paint, but I'm going to get it powder coated when I drop the engine out and have the subframe powder coated. I have a plan

With the shocks already fitted it was a case of just bolt the hubs on............ Or maybe not since the drivers hub is a 16mm with the passenger side being an 18mm. Done my head in! Don't know whether to change the hub or ball joint, I think ball joint is the easier option.

I also managed to get my newly coated (not by me) 406 Brembos, I've gone for the standard discs and I'm going to see if they squeal like a b**ch, if so I'll be getting some G88's once the MOT is on the thing. Not sure if you can see but I also fitted the stud conversion kit for the front hubs aswell, they make fitting the wheels over the Brembos so much easier and I think money well spent.

Finally, I have the wheels a trial run on the car. I've not bled the brakes (I bought a Gunson kit off here but can't remember who it was off and I've not received it yet) so I'm not going to bolt the wheels on until they are done.

I'm hoping to get the car back down onto it's wheels by the weekend, I can drop it up the local garage to me to have the welding done on the side and tighten the bolts underneath that need the suspension sat on the wheels to tighten. It's getting close now, I'm hoping to have it back on the road by the time I go to Glastonbury (26th of June)

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 11th Jun 2013 at 22:25
Ed_van_dijk

Senior User

Post #25
So you are the bugger who got the gaz gold off him instead of me Sad

Astor 6
Posted 12th Jun 2013 at 10:35