displaying posts 26 to 50 of 59

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: From the brink to the track
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Indeed I am, I was quick to get in there, they were a bargain! Plus I'm buying the custom brace he had to run plenty of camber. Oh and his 30mm rear ARB Smile

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 12th Jun 2013 at 13:54
Ed_van_dijk

Senior User

Post #27
Yes they were a bargain, thats why i wanted them lol

Astor 6
Posted 12th Jun 2013 at 14:15
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Well the day has finally come that I got the old girl back on her wheels, it's taken some time and injuries and also some stupid questions asked and stupid answers received but the forum has pulled me through. It still needs some work, the sills need to be put back on but I need the welding done on the sill first, also need some bucket seats but trying to find the ones I want at the price I want is proving more difficult than I thought.

The exhaust needs fitting properly since I couldn't do the best job underneath it with the exhaust 6 inches from my face and I also need to torque up the rear beam but can't remember the figures so I've just sent Jordz a message to find out

I'm thinking the rake is looking tidy there but not 100% till I get it out on the track, it may need to come down on the rear since I've got no weight in there. I've still got the 30mm ARB to pick up and fit along with the front strut brace that I'll be collecting for Velar once I get the time.

It's going to my mates garage tomorrow afternoon and hopefully will be MOT'ed by the end of the week.

Oh and to say that the front shocks are firm would be to say that Hitler was a bit mean. There is no give in them at all and I seriously doubt the ability to drive it on the road the way it is, I may pick up a set of B8's to knock about and for driving to/from tracks. I can change 2 x shocks in no time at all and I'll have different wheels for the track so they'll be off already.

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 17th Jun 2013 at 22:40
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Nuts to fasten axle to chassis 45Nm

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 17th Jun 2013 at 23:48
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
Oh and to say that the front shocks are firm would be to say that Hitler was a bit mean. There is no give in them at all and I seriously doubt the ability to drive it on the road the way it is, I may pick up a set of B8's to knock about and for driving to/from tracks. I can change 2 x shocks in no time at all and I'll have different wheels for the track so they'll be off already.

Stop being a tart. They'll be fine unless they are running silly springs. Then you'd better think about the spring rate and if the dampers need rebuilding for the new springs. Its not a race car Wink

And your image doesn't work.

Nothing to see here
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 18:00
playboyb

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
adam b wrote:
jamiek_uk2000 wrote:

Stop being a tart. They'll be fine unless they are running silly springs. Then you'd better think about the spring rate and if the dampers need rebuilding for the new springs. Its not a race car Wink

And your image doesn't work.

^^^^^

This Thumbs up

Good to see it coming together though fella!

306 1.8 xs moonstone blue-SOLD
306 gti6 supercharged china blue-SOLD
406 coupe D9 3.0 V6-SOLD

Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 18:07
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
The image works for me, not sure why it isn't for you.

They are 415 lb Gaz Golds that Velar was selling on here the other day, did you find out what the spring rate was on the KW V2's then? I've just gone to drive it and I forgot that I've added a load of camber to the thing and I've fitted the TRE's the same length as they came off. Now I can't turn the car! Was hoping to drive it to the garage to be aligned but it is massively out, needs to be straightened up just to drive so that is tomorrows job but I haven't got my stilsons on me since they are in work.

I'm not worried about the harshness of it, just the fact that it is going to brake traction every time that I hit something bigger than a stone and that I may damage the shock with the craters that are on the roads.

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 18:11
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Well the ASTs were 285 and I think the KWs are about the 300 mark. Don't seem that harsh at all.

Its actually the rear damping I have issues with - its too harsh for the road. But now the front is balanced with the rear more its much better. Only on PE2s though.

Nothing to see here
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 18:19
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Well I've added everything to make it harder and I've been driving a van for the past two years so I might just not used to a 306 where everything is rattly anyway.

The rear seems to soft on mine but then I haven't driven it properly just compared to the front. Got 21mm bars in at the moment with B6's and thinking that they nowhere near match the front. Thinking AST's with some 23.5's. Go lovely with the 30mm ARB and then it will be a full track car!

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 18:50
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
I'd maybe go something different. Maybe the same spec as Denis has.

Mine is on standard rear bars with a hybrid arb. There is little weight on the back though. Still using standard beam mounts at the moment too. Will find out on friday if its too squishy, but quite like the tail to move about, especially on the way in to the corner. Its more about fun than ultimate lap time for me Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 19:20
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
That's a fair point, I'm only doing it for fun but I seem to have thought that lap time = fun. Thinking about it I could have saved some money and had as much fun. Nevermind now, I'm quids in and the thing is going to be a full on lap machine! I think it will understeer at the moment on the corners, but only time will tell, I've not got a cage yet so there is very little weight in the rear. 21's could be alright for the time being

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 20:45
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #37
I reckon you'll find it understeers a lot with 415lb springs without something more meaty on the rear.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 21:57
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
    dangti6 wrote:
    I reckon you'll find it understeers a lot with 415lb springs without something more meaty on the rear.

I know, I've got the 30mm ARB going in and then I'm going to see what it is like, I think it may well understeer but I can only wait and see! I'm keeping my eye out for some 23.5's until then, I think I will go for them at some point since they will only make the handling better.

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:02
    jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
    Iirc, a spring rate of around 330lbs is suited to bars of about 24mm

415lb is a hell of a high spring rate

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
    FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
    ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:10
    blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
    Great thread nice to see someone on a similar route to mine lol.

One question how do you go about choosing what size torsion bars and arb etc
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:10
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
    23mm bars would suit about 350lb springs.
    I'm sure somone will have more actual info though.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
    309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:13
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
    rallyeash wrote:
    23mm bars would suit about 350lb springs.
    I'm sure somone will have more actual info though.

Good to know as that's pretty much what I'll be running on the track car! Got 325lb springs up front and 23.mm TBs at the rear so a bit off but not too bad.

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:20
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
    I'm just going on what other people have done, Jordz advised me that the hybrids aren't the best so just going for the 30mm ARB.

When I bought the shocks from Velar he was running 24.5 bars on the rear although he had different setup (camber & toe I believe) but he said that it was solidly planted. The only thing is that he had a cage which added some weight to the back of it, so I might just get away with only 21's for now (doubting it)

It's becoming more and more of a track car as time goes on and I even looked at buying another 6 to drive on the road since they are so cheap at the moment LOL

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:23
    blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
    Snap mine started off as a standard car that I wanted to have a little track experience in so far I've owned it 8 months and its spent more time in bits than anything else and gets further away from a road car every time lol.
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:28
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
    blandy wrote:
    Snap mine started off as a standard car that I wanted to have a little track experience in so far I've owned it 8 months and its spent more time in bits than anything else and gets further away from a road car every time lol.

Same as me there, originally it was just new rear beam mounts, new std bushes all round and B12 shocks. As you can see I've gone a bit over the top now Whistle

Like I've said before though, everything that I have bought (almost) has been second hand from the forum so if/when I decide to break the car (As long as I don't Pebbles it) I should get most of my money back Dunno

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 18th Jun 2013 at 22:30
    daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #46
    jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
    I'm just going on what other people have done, Jordz advised me that the hybrids aren't the best so just going for the 30mm ARB.

When I bought the shocks from Velar he was running 24.5 bars on the rear although he had different setup (camber & toe I believe) but he said that it was solidly planted. The only thing is that he had a cage which added some weight to the back of it, so I might just get away with only 21's for now (doubting it)

It's becoming more and more of a track car as time goes on and I even looked at buying another 6 to drive on the road since they are so cheap at the moment LOL

The cage helps a lot with getting the best out of the 30mm arb. It lessens the flex in the shell and transfers more weight to the outside rear, reducing understeer by taking load off the outside front. The more torsionally rigid the chassis/shell is the more effective the arb can be.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
    Engine mount/chassis repair
    Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
    Harness bars
    Posted 19th Jun 2013 at 09:13
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
    Ah right, well I'm getting the ARB next week hopefully and then fitting it once I can get time to do it, I may lower the rear end another 10mm whilst I'm at it. The cage is on my list, but much further down, I think that will be a job that I get done over the winter/spring ready for next year (When my next tax rebate comes in Smile )

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 19th Jun 2013 at 21:07
    jimmyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
    Cant beat the rebaits but as soon as they come there already spent .. Mine went on a holiday and a cupra r

"Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off."
    Posted 19th Jun 2013 at 21:46
    7057sam

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
    Looking good mate

Have you tested the brakes out yet? Hope you like squelling LOL

Rallye build: 11 November 1998 - a Wednesday
    Team rallye,built for track
    ----Click this if you like rallyes

Rallye dead Sad
    Secret Team Astor...
    Posted 19th Jun 2013 at 23:03
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
    Took it for a little spin last night and no squealing, may be one of the lucky ones. If not then I'll get some G88s. Going to have the tracking and exhaust done while I'm in Glastonbury the mot once I get back. Hopefully it will be on the road by mid July. Bit later than my mid April estimate Smile

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 20th Jun 2013 at 13:39

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3