displaying posts 1 to 25 of 136

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Rallye-R
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I've been on here for a good few years now, but never really taken the time document the changes the Rallye has been through. Arguably not a true project thread, as the changes have happened at an almost evolutionary pace, but none the less, mortgage payments and renovations to the flat have been punctuated with little tweaks here and there.

I'd like to take you back to August 2008, when I first held the keys to T673 SDK in my sweaty palm. In the preceding years I had an original Williams Clio, seen here alongside the Rallye to avoid any angry die hard 306 fans, clambering atop their e-horses and having a winge.

Whilst the Williams was a brilliant car, it spent as much time in the garage being repaired as it did on the road, which was a drain on both my wallet and my patience. So I made the decision to move on to something else. Keen to get something newer, with some pedigree and a small step up in power I drew up a short list. And it was short! I deiced on either a 306 Rallye or a 182 Trophy (an obvious next step from the Williams). However the Trophy was soon scrubbed from the list as I couldn't afford one. And so began the fairly lengthy search for a clean, unmodified, unmolested white Rallye.

Eventually I found a nice one, with 75k on the clock and without any "sick rims and phat tunes". And what a lovely thing it was.

However, and this is not going to be a popular view, but *in my opinion* the Williams is a better car than the Rallye.

click here to return to home page

Whether that's because it has a more exploitable limit, inspires more confidence or just suits my driving style better i shalln't worry about for now, but it left me feeling that the Rallye perhaps needed some improvements. Don't get me wrong, it was still fun to drive, but I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the Williams.

Until this moment, I was a fully paid up bastion for the "keep it standard" club. With the exception of a fixed bucket, I had been true to that ethos with the Williams, and indeed the 205 before that. But once I allowed myself to delve into the murky depths of modification, it opened up a whole new world of potential opportunities and temptations. The thought of creating a track capable car, whilst still retaining some practicality and comfort for the road (as the car remains my daily driver) was an irresistible one. Always a fan of machines like the R26.R, GT3RS or M3 CSL, I began creating what, for the purpose of this thread, I'm going to call the Rallye-R.

But before I had the chance to explore that much further, I found myself nursing an incontinent head gasket. Rich Walker and Lynx came to be known to me, so the Rallye went there for some clean pants and potty training. Obviously first rate service, and so it wasn't very long before it was back there again having the clutch replaced. Mindful that I'd still made no headway towards my 'R', I researched what mods made sense whilst the job was being done...and so entered the free-er revving world of light weight flywheels. A good staple mod for any car with sporting desires, providing keener and a seemingly more enthusiastic engine, with the added benefit of creating a car your girlfriend won't want to drive.

By this point, the Rallye was being noticed in the work car park. I was under no illusions that my own enthusiasm for my aging Peugeot was held by my colleagues, so I shouldn't have been surprised when I found a someone had modified his own car to capture that 'Rallye' look.

VW Polo Match Rallye

Back to matter in hand, and it was time to address the handling. I hadn't spent a great deal of time on the forum at this point, so didn't appreciate the wealth of knowledge it had to offer, so I sought advise from a very knowledgeable man called Julian, of Balance Motorsport. We put together a package to suit my needs, to sharpen the handling, but mindful it was still going to spend much of its life on the UK highway, tirelessly doing lengths the A23. So I took receipt of some Bilstein B8 front and rear shocks, Eibach Pro springs, thicker torsion bars and solid roller bearing wishbone bushes.

NOW WE KNOW! The car felt much more planted as a result, the back feels less skitish and b-road progress is swift.

Keen to help keep those temperatures down, A Nissens ally rad went on.

I mentioned I had a bucket seat in the Williams. Eventually I got around to installing this next. It's a Sparco Rev - perfect for the slighter gentleman, and in fact it was this that delayed it going in car. I kindly/bravely/stupidly allowed my brother co-use of my car during our trip out the ring in '09, but he wouldn't fit his fleshy frame in the bucket seat, so I waited until post ring before getting it in.

Once home, and the bucket went in. A fixed bucket is a really is a good modification. It removes (or at least lessens) that dimension of roll (for you, not the car) when cornering, and leaves the driver free to concentrate all his efforts on steering, rather than the subconcious tensing of core muscles to keep you planted and upright when cornering, and using the wheel as something to hold on to as much as steer the ship.
The Install was a tricky one. Keen to retain the carpet, but obviously needing to weld in a cross member to support the seat, meant some awkward holding of thick, plastic backed carpet, and then some clever cutting once the bar was in place. The result is lovely though, giving a factory fit look, with a very decent seat.

things that get in the way

but your can pick up these points

erm...

That incidentally, is one of her Majesty's own Royal Marine Commandos. If that doesn't help you sleep easy, seeing the calibre of soldier protecting your liberty, i don't know what will.

BOOM

The arrival of the bucket started me thinking about the aesthetics of the car. I've long been a fan of white cars with black wheels, and so I left my cyclones with 'Wicked Wheels" for them to refurb them in satin black.

Whilst Gloss is ok in my book, it doesn't have quite the style of a matt or satin finish.

Inevitably, the hunger for more power got to me. Not wanting to spank the kind've money needed for a supercharger, but wanting to see some performance gains, I opted for a pair of Kent PT81 264deg cams.

Once again, back to Lynx for fitting, and then the following the day a very lumpy run north to Rochdale, for Wayne Schofield to get it mapped in on his rollers. A funny bloke Wayne, and I did enjoy his 'no bo***cks' attitude and leisurely approach to his days work.

So the cams - My motivation was never chasing big numbers, I was just keen to extract a little more power from the old girl, and bring her slightly more inline with newer machines. We saw a modest 184bhp, which resulted in lovely power curve. The car, as before starts to find its stride around 4,000 rpm, with the higher lift cam really bringing home its advantage at 5k+. The cams, coupled with the flywheel makes the engine very willing customer, and the power compliments the handling and braking nicely.

The brakes incidentally are stock discs and Mintex 1155 pads up front, 1144 on the rear, and that works well, with little or no fade when working them on track.

Next up began the search for elusive Citreon C5 "steelies". I've always loved the way the 106 Rallye looks on its white Steelies, so when i began research for a second set of wheels for a more track focused rubber, i was delighted to learn that about these wheels, being both light and harnessing the 'Rallye' look of old. EVENTUALLY I found a set at the other end of the country in Durham, but mercifully a mate of mine was studying up there, so got him to check them out, and check to see that had the appropriate "these are very light" code (PS815011 - fact fans).
Once in my custody, i stripped them back to bare metal and sprayed them up white.

I know what you're thinking; white wheels just don't look quite right without a small amount of animal fur on then. Well luckily for me, the pet rabbit was on hand to make some kind of home/nest in wheel number 2.

Unacceptable!

With rabbit ejected, a got a set of of Toyo R888's on them. It's worth noting; that originally I had these balanced using the 'stick on' weights common today. However, these just grazed the front calipers so had to go back and get some 'bang on' weights on the front lip instead.

I'd always hankered after a suede steering wheel too. So I began my search for one i thought looked good. Many of you may fall into the same camp as my girlfriend, in that "they all look the same" but in my humble (and by humble - i mean well informed and right), this is neither true nor worthy of saying. For me, the size and balance of the Sparco 323 was the one, and so on it went.

Whilst inside, it was time to address another little niggle. It had quietly pained me that pretty much the entirety of the Rallye interior was black, with the exception of the centre console surround, which was a kind've faux metalic grey. highly unconvincing, and generaly out of place, so I found a black replacement from willing XSI at the local breakers.

Before

After

Jim Davey helped me install the passenger side bucket. (I say helped - he just did it all...).

Its a 'Sparco Evo Plus', the wider cousin of the 'Rev', and a less antisocial choice for the broad spectrum of power-to-weight ruining passengers I shall now doubt be carrying . With that now welded in place, and staying true drivers side fixed install, it had rendered the rear of the car somewhat obsolete, so out it came.

Another trip to see Jim and his magic welding fingers, for a harness bar to slipped in between the rear arches, to anchor my LUKE 4 point harnesses. Another showroom weld, doughnut and lengthy chat with Papa Davey saw the car taking on a beautifully focused, yet useable look.

By this time, the 2011 'Ring trip was fast approaching, and having seen eyebrow raising oil temperates during the last visit, I was keen to get an oil cooler on. I sourced a 16row Mocal item from a gentleman who largely deals in Cosworths (Matt Lewis Racing), along with a thermostatic sandwich plate - ever mindful that this car needs to stay cool when being punished on Armco framed tarmac, but also stay warm and slippery during those winter commutes. Kris B was instrumental in fitting this, and did a fine job, locating it nicely in the second rad fan space, with some pleasant fabrication.

Time for a picture break folks. Heres the Rallye on foreign soil, during a little (well actually just over 1000 miles!) tour of some picturesque villages across France. Drink it in people...

Blangey le Chateux

An MOT failure on the rear beam mounts came at the perfect time to herald in the era of solid Baker B&M replacements. Removing the passive rear steer makes a marked difference in the cars behavior when loaded, particularly on long progressive bends. I know I mentioned the tail felt more planted before, but it's all relative, all degrees. Peugeot have often been celebrated for the passive rear steer, but for me, the removal of that 'play' makes for much better back end communication (I never thought I'd be promoting "back end communication"!) and gives a more confident rear.

The proof was in the pudding, when back out on the Nordschliefe. The now cammed, semi-stripped car felt quick, light and exploitable.

What more do you need?

Putting my dancing shoes on (and drying my towel..)

Rolling on the GG R888 shod steelies, made for some significantly improved corner speeds, and the package came together to keep in touch with/embarrass some far more extravagant machines. Straight-line gusto was admirable too, following a S2000 out the gates, and all the way up to about 120 and the first braking zone, saw the performance identical, gear for gear. I'm not suggesting for one minute the S2K is the performance benchmark, but it's not a bad car for Peugeot 306 to count among its contemporarys.

Now that pretty much brings us to present day, and almost everything I want to do to the car, which leaves me with emptiness and satisfaction in equal measure. Ultimately I intend to replace the exhaust for a slightly less boomy customer, and am leaning towards one of Miles' systems (so my stainless Powerflow will be up for grabs in the not too distant), and I'm dithering about some form of carbon enclosed, cold air fed induction, but Im not at all convinced it's entirely worth it...[discuss]

If anyone has made it this far, I doth my 'endurance cap' to you, and will reward you with a few final pics.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 9th May 2014 at 20:14
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
Perfect,just how a "modified" 306 should be Thumbs up
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 12:33
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #3
great write up, splendid reading for my lunch time. Did you notice much difference in straight line acceleration going from the cyclones to steelies, there's quite a weight saving there, must be about 19kg in unspung?
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 12:51
wilyoldave

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Nice write up mate - love white rallyes and yours is up there with the best I reckon!

No more peugeots Sad

Snap - no more RS clioSad

Now Ph1 RS clio Smile
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 12:54
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Glad its being enjoyed Smile

lewisdmz wrote:
Did you notice much difference in straight line acceleration going from the cyclones to steelies, there's quite a weight saving there, must be about 19kg in unspung?

Like you say, there is a significant reduction in unsprung weight, so you cant argue with the physics. But the reality is, that on a wide track (well, relative to a public road) your perception of speed/acceleration changes. (especially when you have GT3 RS's thundering past)
I havent run those wheels much on the road, so its difficult to say how different they feel. Perhaps in the fullness if time i'll make some effort to benchmark the two.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 13:12
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
wilyoldave wrote:
Nice write up mate - love white rallyes and yours is up there with the best I reckon!

Cheers matey. Nice 205 too! looks just like my old one... Miami blue Love

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 13:14
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #7
Chris - what an excellent read. I like your approach to the car, keeping things within a sensible envelope and maximizing efficiency.

Great pics too, thanks for sharing Thumbs up

Hens teeth rocking horse poo Cossack Ph1.3
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 13:32
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Will have a proper read later on when I have time, but looking good mate Yes

White rallye Love

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 13:51
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
carbonfibre wrote:
Chris - what an excellent read. I like your approach to the car, keeping things within a sensible envelope and maximizing efficiency.

Great pics too, thanks for sharing Thumbs up

Pleasure Thumbs up

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 14:23
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
cjm_harris wrote:

White rallye Love

do it! It'll give you warm judders of admiration, followed almost instantly by the cold hard slap of jealousy Big grin

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 14:25
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Nice write up kept me entertained on the train Smile

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 14:59
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
braymond wrote:
cjm_harris wrote:

White rallye Love

do it! It'll give you warm judders of admiration, followed almost instantly by the cold hard slap of jealousy Big grin

Admiration, yes. Jealousy on the fact its a white rallye and I want a set of those seats Razz

Other than that, I am happy enough with mine. Same focus as yours Yes

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 15:59
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Fair one. I must admit there is a part of me that fancies an entusiastic drive in a supercharged 306. Feel free to leave your keys in my custody should you need someone to babysit your wagon..

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 16:21
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
i thought i recognized the name and car, and sure enough i was right, ive met you Yes the pictures at Jim's reminded me of an interesting day Big grin

took your time getting the project thread up but definitely worth the wait. its nice to see the car in france and also on the ring, you are very lucky, i hope to do that in the future.

i must say that from what i saw of the car that day it was very nice Thumbs up and Jim's work looked awesome, he really knows his stuff.

great write up mate and glad you're enjoying the car.

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 19:59
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #15
Nice build and write up mate, good work Thumbs up

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 22:19
BrianM

Regular

Post #16
thoroughly enjoyed reading that! How does your car compare to your old Williams now - gotta be 10x better following the modifications.

'13 208 Gti Bianca White, '99 Bianca 306 Rallye, '92 309 Goodwood GTi 5dr, '92 Miami Blue 309 GTi 3dr.
Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 23:23
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
EDIT: just added a couple of pics of the oil cooler, thanks to Kris

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 09:22
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
BrianM wrote:
thoroughly enjoyed reading that! How does your car compare to your old Williams now - gotta be 10x better following the modifications.

Absolutely, the Rallye is certainly the better machine now. I still get misty eyed thinking about the Williams though...

..and the 205 for that matter!

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 09:26
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Great read, I'd send this off to FPC magazine and see if they'll print it, good writing, good pics, good advice = win!

Here's my induction kit, great roar and an increase in torque. Auto Sillicone Hoses http://www.apmotorstore.co.uk/silicone-hoses.html do the parts, either 2x 76mm elbows and some connectors or i was looking at using a 90-76 for the filter end, and a 76 onto the throttle. Including filter it comes to about £80.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 12:23
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
great write up, thanks for the read Thumbs up

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 12:28
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
monkeyman wrote:
Here's my induction kit

Where? Dunno

Thanks for the link on the hoses though - if i go down that route it will surely be useful Thumbs up

Would you say your increase in torque is at the detriment of anything else? Also, have you experienced any issues with water ingress? These are my concerns.

Also, i generally feel sceptical when it comes to air filters/induction, purely becasue the amount of you stories you can find from people who claim their chosen filter has given then 30+ bhp. Clearly horseshit!Roll eyes

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 13:25
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I used to have a very free flowing exhaust which gave great top end, but poor midrange so have now gone back to a sportex straight through mid, and standard rear, which is also quieter than the aftermarret system.
This induction does make a roar at full throttle, but is quiet otherwise. It does feel more eager than the standard airbox + K&N. http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=113315&page=1 The only downsides have been the loss of foglight, and having to move the alarm and horns around. I have driven through torrential rain on the motorway with no problems http://www.youtube.com/user/chunkeymonkey581#p/a/u/1/Eq8Bh785fCs but if you live anywhere prone to flooding up to fog light level there is a danger of water pickup No

I also tried changing the std airbox to throttle pipe as mine kept breaking where the idle feed branches off, and the concertina design is bad for air flow. Helped a bit http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=124421

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 13:58
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
monkeyman wrote:
I used to have a very free flowing exhaust which gave great top end, but poor midrange so have now gone back to a sportex straight through mid, and standard rear, which is also quieter than the aftermarret system.
This induction does make a roar at full throttle, but is quiet otherwise. It does feel more eager than the standard airbox + K&N. http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=113315&page=1 The only downsides have been the loss of foglight, and having to move the alarm and horns around. I have driven through torrential rain on the motorway with no problems http://www.youtube.com/user/chunkeymonkey581#p/a/u/1/Eq8Bh785fCs but if you live anywhere prone to flooding up to fog light level there is a danger of water pickup No

I also tried changing the std airbox to throttle pipe as mine kept breaking where the idle feed branches off, and the concertina design is bad for air flow. Helped a bit http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=124421

very helpful, thanks a lot Markus Cheers

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 27th Oct 2011 at 14:03
lurch86

Senior User

Post #24
Excellent project/ car. Pretty much what my intentions are with mine but with less road and more track. Is your exhaust loud? I'd be interested in it if not

Wanted list... (P.m me if you have any)
Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Lydden Hill 31/10/2015 Last Track day
1st time at Snetterton on the Bike! 22/08/2017
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 00:08
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
It sounds good when you're getting in amongst it and driving through each gear, but at sustained road speeds, hovering around the 3000prm mark its a bit 'boomy'. If only used the car on track I'd be happy enough.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 09:46

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last