Post #26
LOVE IT. very nice

Where did the road go!

Chris
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 10:21
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Beautiful, the exact direction i wish to aim for in my car!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 12:04
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
atterz wrote:

Then i'll look forward to seeing your progress

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 13:19
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
When the Army starts paying me the correct amount then progress you will see Big grin. In effect, its the car that Peugeot should of made when they made the Rallye.

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 15:54
mike rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
excellent read up and lovely nice clean rallye. so have you noticed a lot of difference fitting these kent cams? and would you recomend then for a cheap up grade and what sort of price was the remap?
Posted 28th Oct 2011 at 22:39
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
mike rallye wrote:
excellent read up and lovely nice clean rallye. so have you noticed a lot of difference fitting these kent cams? and would you recomend then for a cheap up grade and what sort of price was the remap?

I wouldn't say its a cheap upgrade. not to do it properly. granted you can pick up the cams for not too much, but without a remap you're not going to get much benefit, and I think the remap was about £400

if you're hoping cams alone will make the car a rocket ship then you'll be disappointed, but I stand by it as a good mod, and the performance gain still puts a smile on my face some 30k on.

I wouldn't want to go milder than PT81 though. PT80's are available but I don't think the performance would justify the cost.

finally, its always worth being mindful that there isn't a great deal of clearance between value and piston in these engines, so any move towards a higher lifting cam is going to narrow that tolerance, and like with most things, there are horror stories out there.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 29th Oct 2011 at 00:52
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
A brief update...

I finally got around to changing the exhaust. Last week i took receipt of one of Miles' (Pug Racing) stainless steel systems.

The main objective being to bring the noise level down, without any detriment to performance over the Powerflow system that was on there previously. With the interior/carpet no longer present in the back of the car, exhaust and road noise are of course exacerbated, which left me painfully aware that the Powerflow was just too boomy for motorway drudgery.
The bigger silencers of Miles' system certainly do help to keep that resonance at bay, and I'm left with a smooter, crisper exhaust note.
Roll on Brands in the coming months!

Although a little too loud for my modest/approaching my 30's/stripped out taste, there is nothing wrong with my Powerflow system, so when I get a chance to take a few pictures, I'll pop it up for sale if anyone is in the market for a cat-back stainless system.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 13:21
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
atterz wrote:

What is very funny for me is that your car has very nearly been there once already! LOL

Love it though, Braymond, exactly the right direction to go I think. The wheel weight reduction makes a huge difference and I love them in white. If I ever owned another then this would be on the list Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 13:49
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Exhaust looks spot on. Does the rest of the system fit and hang ok?

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 14:46
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #35
Just finished reading your lengthy first post. Very well written; a rarity. I can appreciate the modifications you've chosen, it seems you've struck the right balance between a daily and a track-day toy. Good effort. Thumbs up
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 17:48
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Matt, the exhaust hangs and fits well. Although i did notice today that there is a metal on metal contant under heavy left hand cornering, but havent got underneath to investigate further yet. Thats what weekends are for! I'm not 100% sure an outwardly rolled tip is my cup of tea, but its growing on me....albeit slowly.

And Tom, thanks for the compliment. Praise indeed from a man daring enough to throw down a Semicolon...!

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 19:48
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
adam b wrote:
atterz wrote:

What is very funny for me is that your car has very nearly been there once already! LOL

Love it though, Braymond, exactly the right direction to go I think. The wheel weight reduction makes a huge difference and I love them in white. If I ever owned another then this would be on the list Thumbs up

^ This makes me unhappy Big grin But i shall slowly work towards it and eventually ill get there!

That exhaust system looks decent, i really didnt want to go stainless for the mentioned reasons of boominess etc with no back seats or carpet. Seems like a good buy!

owain wrote:
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 19:59
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Dont get me wrong though - no one would acuse the car of being quiet, even now. Mild would definately be the quieter option, but with the prices these kind've cars fetch these days, I'm mindful that i will prob never bother selling it, so made yet another compromise in the interest of longevity!

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 25th Jan 2012 at 20:06
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Took a decible reading today, to make sure I'm all 'legal' for trackdays with my new Pug Racing stainless exhaust.
Measured at 0.5m from the tail pipe, at a 45° angle, and at 2/3 max revs it recorded just 91db, so I'm well under the 105 day time and 101 evening session ceiling for MSV trackdays.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 19th Mar 2012 at 16:08
Hobu

Post #40
A brilliantly written project, a lunch time well spent! I actually signed up (And paid for the membership haha) just to tell you this! I don’t own a Rallye yet but I’m in the process of purchasing one. Do you have any videos of the new exhaust? I only ask as I’m fast approaching 30 and loud raspy exhausts make me cry!
Posted 23rd Mar 2012 at 14:02
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Hobu wrote:
A brilliantly written project, a lunch time well spent! I actually signed up (And paid for the membership haha) just to tell you this! I don’t own a Rallye yet but I’m in the process of purchasing one. Do you have any videos of the new exhaust? I only ask as I’m fast approaching 30 and loud raspy exhausts make me cry!

LOL Praise indeed!

I don't have any vids at present I'm afraid, but I'll see what I can do. Miles (of Pug Racing, who is a member on here) also does a mild steel system which would be quieter still if that tickles your fancy.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 09:59
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
I'll start this update some questions..

Q. Is there anything wrong with the current induction setup on the Rallye?
A. No

Q. So why bugger about with it?
A. ...shut up.

Basically, I've long been seduced by 6 letters stretched around a carbon barrel - BMC CDA. I'm prepared to accept it won't instantly transform the car into furious beast with an unquenchable oxygen thirst, but you can't ignore the physics surrounding cold dense air and combustion.

So when said filter popped up in the 'For Sale' section, I thought what the hell. I amassed a small collection of silicon and ally tubes, jubilee clips and cable ties and went to work.

First things first, get the car up, wheels off and bumper removed.

I write that quite casually, nonchalantly even. But truth be told it took me nearly an hour and a half to achieve this simple task, at which point I stopped for lunch.

After lunch I got the old air box and various lengths of plastic ducting off.

This took just a few minutes, and left me feeling that I was in fact some kind of awesome race mechanic, and could probably strip the whole engine down in a couple of f*ckin' hours (you get to talk like that if you're a mechanic) if I wanted to. Which I didn't, thankfully.

One of my many questions in the build up to this job had highlighted that removing the standard throttle body pipework robs the ICV of filtered air. So also took receipt of this little fella by way of replacement

Praise Allah for tapered mini-filters, As it just fitted under this throttle cable arm. (I'll be mostly making up names for areas of the car for which I don't know the official name)

Next up was the air filter itself, elbow and 'connecty pieces'. Took a bit of lining/eying up to get the lengths all working towards a common goal, but eventually got it fitting like a tight, uncomfortable glove.

Now to attach the flexible hose to the bottom of the filter and get busy with the cable ties.

Then the finer adjustment to get the trumpet to fog light hole alignment just so.

And we're done. Bumper back on and let the big dog eat!

First Impressions? Well it hasn't made a massive difference, but when 'on cam' it has a slightly more purposeful urge, and lovely induction bark/growl which I must admit is addictive and causing me to be a little more flamboyant with the right foot than strictly necessary.

Whilst I'm in the business of thread updating, heres a a couple of pics showing 'before and after' the bonnet badge was brought inline with the largely monochrome look of the car.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 13:52
Hobu

Post #43
Induction kit looks great. Got to love a bit of carbon fibre, it’s a shame it’s hidden away! Did you just paint the front badge?
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 20:51
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Hobu wrote:
Induction kit looks great. Got to love a bit of carbon fibre, it’s a shame it’s hidden away! Did you just paint the front badge?

I bought it from a lad on here, but yes essentially its just painted. Nice job though!

Good luck in your hunt for a Rallye.

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 26th Mar 2012 at 21:43
Hobu

Post #45
braymond wrote:
Hobu wrote:

I bought it from a lad on here, but yes essentially its just painted. Nice job though!

Good luck in your hunt for a Rallye.

Thanks. I'm off to see one on Sunday. The cam belt snapped at 25k bending 6 valves but all where replaced and it has done 27k miles since. Not sure if I should be worried?

The badge looks really good, works well with the black wheels.
Posted 27th Mar 2012 at 12:37
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Glad u got the bmc fitted Thumbs up hope u like it and your def gna get more use for it than i did lol car has done 100 miles since i sold that to u over a month ago now Smile

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 9th Apr 2012 at 11:14
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
Glad u got the bmc fitted Thumbs up hope u like it and your def gna get more use for it than i did lol car has done 100 miles since i sold that to u over a month ago now Smile

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 9th Apr 2012 at 11:17
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Love white rallyes. would consider getting shot of my astor for a white rallye Cool

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 9th Apr 2012 at 11:37
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
i found that the cold air feed pipes tend to compress slightly when booting it.........so i wrapped mine in duct and foil tape to stop this and it has helped. i'm thick of use metal and silcon pipes all the way to the fog to see if it makes a difference

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 9th Apr 2012 at 12:05
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Do you still have the standard Air scoop? I want to sort myself a form of induction system that isnt just a cone on the end of the TB.

owain wrote:
Posted 10th Apr 2012 at 21:54

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last