displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Induction Mod
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
The standard induction system on the 306 is not bad, a lot better than most of todays shoehorned in as an afterthought cars, but the last pipe to the throttle is a bit of a compromise.

First it has to bend under the radiator pipe, then there is a concertina section to counter engine movement, and finally a t-piece to feed the idle, all add to air turbulence.

I wondered what difference a plain 90o aluminium pipe would make.

Pickup seems more eager 2.5 - 5k, feels the same higher up, but under 2k it looses a bit of torque, just need to blip the throttle before pulling away. I've got a straight centre pipe and Scorpion backbox, other exhausts will give slightly different results.

I got the parts from here -
http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36_77&products_id=106
http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21_53&products_id=635
http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=38_55_61_63&products_id=47

I had to take about this much off each end of the pipe -

You'll also need to make up an idle feed. I used a mini filter, a connector, and a bit of 5/8" radiator hose.

Notes -

I've got a Grp N lower and chocked upper mount, so my engine doesn't move much. The aluminium pipe works fine with this, but with standard engine mounts you will need to allow for some engine movement. A 90o sillicone hose, and some joiners might work, but I've not tried it.

I just measured the pipe by eye (as you can see) before cutting, and needed to cut one end twice. Cutting the pipe makes lots of aluminium dust and grains. You dont want these getting anywhere near your air filter or throttle, so give the pipe a good wash and dry before re-measuring/fitting it.

Fitting is a lot easier with the top radiator pipe unclipped. Make sure your engine has cooled down, and you've released the coolant pressure before undoing it.

Total cost was about £40.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 15th May 2010 at 18:25
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #2
Seems like a tidy little mod this, surprised it hasn't got more attention.
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:25
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
because this is the easiest way to fill the engine up with water and bend conrods.

know this first hand...

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:34
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
rallyeash wrote:
because this is the easiest way to fill the engine up with water and bend conrods.

know this first hand...

Only if you drive through rivers LOL

If you welded a T-piece into it near the top and put one of those little K&N style breather filters on, it would'nt be able to suck up any water. Does mean having the ability to ally weld. But would eliminate a potential problem and would'nt affect airflow in the slightest if done properly.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:40
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
daveyboy wrote:
rallyeash wrote:

know this first hand...

If you welded a T-piece into it near the top and put one of those little K&N style breather filters on, it would'nt be able to suck up any water. Does mean having the ability to ally weld. But would eliminate a potential problem and would'nt affect airflow in the slightest if done properly.

wasn't me but a good mate, towed it back to my drive and ripped it all apart, even oval'd the crank!!
wasnt a river but a decent size puddle spreading across the road. was only a couple of inches deep

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:46
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
daveyboy wrote:
rallyeash wrote:

know this first hand...

Make a little drawing, I need an excuse to practice ally welding at work!

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:48
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
rallyeash wrote:

know this first hand...

From what I can see this uses the std airbox and snorkel so it won't suck up water.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 9th Feb 2011 at 23:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just a junction for the filter to sit on, you give a relief path for the vacuum

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 10th Feb 2011 at 00:08
martinj

Regular

Post #9
smegal wrote:
rallyeash wrote:

know this first hand...

From what I can see this uses the std airbox and snorkel so it won't suck up water.

Exactly what I was thinking when looking at this thread, it is a smoother pipe from the standard air box to the throttle body rather than any change to the air inlet position....nice looking modification.

- Maxi rear axle hub spacers +53mm per side
- Maxi front steering rack extensions +40mm per side
Posted 10th Feb 2011 at 00:26
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I might see what I've got on tomorrow. I'm hoping the Rottler's new motor has arrived so I can get my head skimmed!

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 10th Feb 2011 at 00:23
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
im fitting my viper in my battery box and putting the battery in the rear. i think it should work very well/ of you sealed the battery box you could turn it into a giant air box, kinda like what longmans used on there btcc cars.

ph3 gti-6 china blue- mint condition
ph2 gti-6 nile blue K.I.A dec 2010
Posted 10th Feb 2011 at 00:40
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #12
smegal wrote:
rallyeash wrote:

know this first hand...

exactly lol.
Posted 10th Feb 2011 at 01:15