displaying posts 101 to 125 of 884

Pages (36): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: Goldie the track car
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
That's good to know about the pressure, i was getting a little concerned about it Smile

What have you been doing to yours?

I cant wait to iron out the little niggles it has now and get some trackdays booked Hyper

Goldie the track car.
Posted 1st May 2011 at 02:22
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #102
You are going to wish you mounted the oil coolers the other way up when it comes time to do an oil change Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 1st May 2011 at 20:54
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Yeah i know, but i preferred this way to having to take them off and wiggle them about for bleeding all the air out of them, a bit of a loss-loss situation really LOL

I didnt get time to do anything to the car today, i was at a kit car show so i picked up a couple of 10" slimline fans and a couple of trumpets to sit where the fog lights used to live.

Just need to tax it now and i should be able to take it for a little spin round the village tomorrow Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 00:37
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #104
prism7guy wrote:
That's good to know about the pressure, i was getting a little concerned about it Smile

What have you been doing to yours?

I cant wait to iron out the little niggles it has now and get some trackdays booked Hyper

Well it started as uprating rear torsion bars, but seeing as the bars were seized in solid it turned into a complete beam rebuild/ underside tidy up. And whilst the beam was in bits I decided to look at some camber, so I'm currently awaiting the return of my rear arms from Martin (crf450) with negative camber machined in!  whilst I'm waiting I decided to completely remove the abs as the brake lines in the beam all needed replacing, so I removed all the brake lines from the car and re routed the rears through the cabin with a Tilton brake bias valve fitted so hopefully in bout 2 weeks time I'll be ready to rock again! Can't wait although I'll have to learn to drive it again after those mods lol!

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 13:07
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
LOL
I have some 21mm TB's but i'm pretty tempted not to fit them yet as i know i would end up taking the same route as you, i have the beam rebuild kit sat on my desk but i want to buy another beam and do all the work to that one then simply swap them over.
If i go to all this effort i may sell my 21mm ones and get some 23mm ones made up for the new beam, but all this costs lots of money so i'm having to wait until after i've been to germany for all that.

Mind me asking how much neg camber you've gone for?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 15:17
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #106
Three degrees is what Martin is tooled up to do. Any other angle will require more work as the program for the machines would need altering I believe. I will be starting withtwo degrees on the front as that's all my topmounts allow but plan on going for 3 as money allows. If you've watched the 306 vs ringtaxi vid he's runnin 21mm bars with a 30mm arb and coilies with 450lb springs and that thing handles!! So the old girl should handle okay... Well hopefully anyway!!

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 16:10
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
Yeah, 3 degrees is what i was thinking about too after talking to Martin a few weeks ago.
I'll be getting a set of Martin's front top mounts while i'm at it as they look the bee's knee's Yes

I may try my 21mm bars in the beam that i build up and see how i get on with them, his car is immense in the video you mentioned.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 17:38
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #108
Yes his top mounts look the dogs, I think that's what I'll be after once I get the cash together, I have a few things going on at the min so all in good time!Roll eyes

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 18:31
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
Fans are now in
IMG_0993 by Steve Count, on Flickr

I fitted some mesh over the front to protect them from stones, and used the old relay unit from the old shroud.

For some reason the fans aren't spinning up when i remove the brown temp sensor, i can hear one of the relays clicking but no action.
Before i fitted the fans i checked they both worked, and even checked the relay unit worked with a multimeter and pulling the brown plug off, so i need to do a bit of investigation into this next weekend, im sure it will be a simple fix as i have another fan shroud with a known working relay unit.

I removed a brown relay from under the steering wheel as it was clicking a lot and causing the headlights to flash, since removing it everything still seems to work electric wise.

I finally got the car off its axle stands and taxed it so put it on the road, set up the adjustable drop links and took it for a test drive round the village.
Theres a definite misfire and it seems to be down on power, so i'm going to start working my way through what could be the cause and hopefully get it sorted out asap, i'm hoping its just a dodgy spark plug or coil pack.
The radiator doesnt get pressurised when the engine is cool so i dont think the headgasket has gone, i think the oil was just from what had got into the heat exchanger.

I have a slight whine from the aux belt aswell, i need to work out if its because something isnt aligned perfectly or if its simply not tight enough and slipping.
The alternator itself was warm after 10 mins and the pulley was also a bit warm, but this may have been heatsoak from the alternator rather than caused by the belt rubbing it.

All in all i'm pretty happy with my progress over the last couple of weeks, and i still have a few bits and bobs to do over the next few weekends.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 19:17
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
Aircon.

Edit... cant be aircon, looks to small, might be the charcoal canister sensor with the small vac pipes on it, goes on strut side near the cambelt cover.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 14:20
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Do you mean the little brown thing with has a tube either side of it or was there a sensor on the big plastic housing that sits inside the wing?

I have the small brown thing connected already, and i did the thing to the aircon plug so that when i press the A/C button my fans run high speed.

I'll go out after my tea and have another proper look, its not the bonnet closed sensor either, and all headlight ones are connected already.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 22:18
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #112
I thought the same as Birk, it's on the left hand side of this pic, by the strut.

Can't think of any other little brown plus there unless it's an indicator or something - not much by the washer bottle except aircon if it's a 6.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 23:15
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
Yea its got pipe going in and out of it, cant be that then, i wouldnt worry about it if everything works fine LOL

Bonnet closed sensor is just a single wire with a small terminal on it next to the latch, not a brown plug.

Dan
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 23:23
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #114
Brown plug is as birk says the charcoal canister sensor, cant be anything else. Air con plug has 4 connectors in it.

You have put some work into this, wish i kept my 6 Sad thinking of getting a Rallye if i get rid of my 106 GTi soon and start a new track toy lol. Keep up the good work mate

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 23:30
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
Cheers Chris.

I will just leave this disconnected, my brown soleniod thing for the charcoal canister is in a different location to the one pictured, it sits near the 45* plastic fuel pipe joiners and i think the wires connecting to that are from the engine loom not the bay loom from memory.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 23:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
Well i found the cause of the misfire, it seems i have a dodgy coilpack.
I tried changing all 4 from my other car over and it fired up instantly and sounded lovely Love

The list of essential things to buy is finally getting shorter, next i have to work my way through the list of shiny things LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 4th May 2011 at 02:16
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
prism7guy wrote:
Cheers Chris.

I will just leave this disconnected, my brown soleniod thing for the charcoal canister is in a different location to the one pictured, it sits near the 45* plastic fuel pipe joiners and i think the wires connecting to that are from the engine loom not the bay loom from memory.

If it's off the chassie loom then all i can think of is that its a plug for the indicator. where does the wire go? can you not find out where it goes off looking at youre other 6?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 4th May 2011 at 02:27
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
The loom seems to be different on my other 6, just to make things awkward LOL
I have indicators connected and all lights are working as they should, i just thought i would ask as it seemed strange that i missed that plug off when stripping the bay loom.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 4th May 2011 at 02:31
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #119
Have you used the master cylinder plug, as thats the same as the one you have pictured on the vac pipe thingymabob.

Dan
Posted 4th May 2011 at 14:52
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
Nope, the reservoir sensor thing comes through the side wall of the engine bay from memory, goes over the top of the res before plugging into the sensor there.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 5th May 2011 at 00:17
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
Over the last week my aluminium 90* bend arrived so i relocated the air filter, it doesnt fowl anything anymore which is a good thing.
Eventually i may get a carbon enclosed kit and route some intake hose to where the standard intake hose would be, or something along those lines.
[Image lost]

After work this morning i stopped off at screwfix and picked up this little bad boy LOL
[Image lost, it's a fire extinguisher.]

I'm not a big fan of the idea of all this hard work and money just going up in smoke, so it's better to be safe than sorry imo.

I used white spirit and a rag to get up the last of the tar from the footwells and put the seats back in.

I took it out for its first proper spin, it seems to pull well, but after about 12 miles the bolts holding the fuel rail down had vibrated loose so it made a nice pop noise followed by the strong smell of petrol, i pulled over and killed all the power before checking the engine bay, there was petrol everywhere Doh
Luckily i was only a couple of miles from home so my mum brought me out some tools and replacement bolts, i fixed it and limped back home after i had got rid of all the visible fuel puddles (there went that pair of socks LOL)

I checked the coolant and there is oil getting into the coolant, which is worrying me as its quite substantial Sad

I dont know whether its the heat exchanger or head gasket, there is no trace of coolant in the oil when looking into the head through the oil filler cap. Compression test shows all four cylinders are at 230psi, the engine runs like a dream now when using four working coilpacks.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 19:18
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
Today i fitted the fire extinguisher:
[Image lost]

Sorted out the fans, it was a relay that had gone so i used one from a spare shroud i had and the fans work low speed then high speed just as they should when the brown temp sensor is disconnected, a nice easy fix for me Smile

I then went about diagnosing how the oil was getting into the coolant.
I needed a 16mm hose joiner (well, didn't need one but thought it would be more ideal than blanking off both the coolant hoses), i didnt manage to get to any local motor factors in time before they shut so i tried the local gardening centre, they didnt have any either but i saw a nice watering lance thing for the end of a hosepipe, i took that over to the DIY section and measured it with one of their measuring tapes, the metal tube was 16mm so i bought one of them LOL
I got home, hacked the thing to bits and made it into a make shift hose joiner, and simply pulled both the coolant hoses off the heat exchanger and shoved them over this short section of tube, securing them with jubilee clips.

Next i took some spare 16mm ID hose, cut it in half then pushed one end of each onto the heat exchanger, got a small empty coke bottle and cut 2 holes in that and pushed the other ends of the hose into the bottle.

I removed as much oil from the radiator as i could and started the engine.

Eventually oil started to appear in the coke bottle, telling me that its the heat exchanger at fault Big grin
[Image of an empty bottle with oil collecting in it.]

I also noticed yesterday that coolant was seeping out from round the radiator cap rather than coming out of the overflow hose, so i'm going to get a new radiator cap too as one didnt come with the new nissens radiator i ordered.

All in all i'm quite pleased with the days progress, i'm really glad its a dodgy heat exchanger and not the head gasket, so it should all be sorted by the end of next weekend.

Oh yeah, i also loctited some fresh cap screws into the inlet manifold to hold the fuel rail down, i dont fancy that happening ever again!

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 19:19
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
prism7guy wrote:
Oh yeah, i also loctited some fresh cap screws into the inlet manifold to hold the fuel rail down, i dont fancy that happening ever again!

Good idea that...

**goes of into the garage in search of loctite**Big grin

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 9th May 2011 at 01:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
Mini update time as a certain friend was getting annoyed at no updates Whistle LOL

My new heat exchanger arrived last week, so friday evening after work i went out in the rain to fit it (bloody MOT ran out on the diablo so needed goldie to get to work on saturday Doh).

After work on saturday i put a couple of bottles of radiator flush in before driving home, it said to have it in for upto 6 hours and to empty it when its still warm, i left it in about 3 hours and took the car out for a little blast before draining it to get everything up to temp.

I flushed out all the old coolant and put new stuff in. For some reason i get overly anal with coolant and mix it 50/50 with deionised water. My mum works for unipart so i get a bit of discount on their parts which has started to come in quite handy Smile

Since the coolant change there doesnt seem to be any more oil getting into the coolant.

Today i got round to removing some more excess weight, nothing major, most is in the photo below:
[Image lost.]

I also fitted my 'TOW' stickers that i bought whilst drunk off ebay, they have grown on me and i quite like the look now LOL
[Image lost.]

I also fitted a new front numberplate as the last one was probably illegal with the manky lines from the 'H'.
[Image lost.]

I fitted the sun strip the other day (another ebay billy bargain). The sun visors were all floppy and bugged me, and they were weighty so they had to come off but i hate driving with the sun in my eyes, hence the sunstrip.

I re-fitted the brown relay that i removed the other day and the electrics seem to be fine still so it can stay in LOL

I reconnected the rain sensor wiring to the sensor so my wipers behave normally again, no more having to hold the switch to get them to move.

I re-attached the rear view mirror, my double sided tape wasn't upto the job so i have used a few blobs of silicon and held it in place with duck tape until it sets.

I think thats about it for updates now, i still need to replace the rear numberplate but gave up on it today as it was getting late.

Diablo is booked in for its MOT on wednesday so i gave both my toys a quick clean Cool
IMG_1013 by Steve Count, on Flickr

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 19:21
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
Forgot to mention that it seems a little crunchy getting into 2nd when higher up in the rev range, it doesnt matter if its going from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd. (I always match the revs when downshifting too). Other than that the car seems to be running spot on now, its bloody rapid Superman Devil

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th May 2011 at 01:47

Pages (36): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last