displaying posts 126 to 150 of 884

Pages (36): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last

Author Subject: Goldie the track car
donny

Regular

Post #126
I need to get drunk and buy some tow stickers!! Big grin

Looking good now fella! Fingers crossed for the diablo's MOT!!!
Posted 16th May 2011 at 22:48
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #127
When i turned up to work this morning my boss and workmate almost p*ssed themselves when they saw the stickers Laugh my ass off

Diablo should pass easily, she's as tight as a tiger and now has the standard exhaust back on so no need to worry about emissions anymore.

Goldie has an insanely annoying rattle around 1900rpm when under load, i wonder if a certain someone may have dropped something inside the centre box when doing a little repair Whistle LOL It sounds like theres something rattling round in there anyway.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th May 2011 at 22:52
cooper666

Senior User

Post #128
fit my other exhaust see if it goes away its been repaired nowBig grin

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 16th May 2011 at 22:56
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #129
I can't be bothered to get under the car to change the exhaust over again, i'm getting old LOL
Plus every penny i earn now is going towards my trip to germany, no more spending on the car for a few weeks Unsure

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th May 2011 at 23:12
cooper666

Senior User

Post #130
didnt mean buy it use it for a whileLOL

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 16th May 2011 at 23:21
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #131
Hmm I think i'll give it a miss but thanks for the offer. Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th May 2011 at 23:47
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #132
Good work mate Thumbs up

Hope to catch you on a trackday sometime Smile

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 16th May 2011 at 23:56
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #133
Cheers Chris, you're on track at FCS aren't you?
I don't know what time i'm on yet but i have ordered one session on track Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th May 2011 at 00:00
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #134
I had a little run in this on saturday and it certainly pulls ALOT quicker through 3rd and 4th than a 6/rallye with standard weight Yes

I just cant wait for le ring now Superman

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 17th May 2011 at 00:32
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #135
prism7guy wrote:
Cheers Chris, you're on track at FCS aren't you?
I don't know what time i'm on yet but i have ordered one session on track Smile

Yes mate, I'm on track 14:00-14:15 and 15:15-15:30 Smile

Chris
Posted 17th May 2011 at 01:06
luke306rallye

Regular

Post #136
I'm on at 14:00-14:15 too Smile
Posted 17th May 2011 at 01:28
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #137
Mini update time:

I did a bit more lightening today, the bonnet lining is now off (and fitted to diablo as its in better condition than diablo's was Laugh)
[Image lost.]
I was going to single skin the bonnet but wasnt sure on the best way to go about the spot welds, obviously drilling isnt the answer unless i want 'speed holes', and getting it too hot may upset the paintwork on the visible part which isnt ideal (awaits jokes about it already being rust coloured Laugh)

Front door speakers are now gone, i may get the door cards off tomorrow, but i like the fact that they have pockets to hold stuff in which will be useful for my trip to germany in a few weeks. Hmm
And the fact that i rest my knee on the door card when driving, i dont want to have it resting on a sharp edge or hard steel which will get annoying after several hours.

Alarm ECU is now off, i traced the wires back from it and they split and go to the central locking ecu and some go to somewhere under the dash, at this point lazyness took over so i left the wires in for the time being. It's something i intend to sort out when i paint the interior or fit a cage.

I want to get rid of the central locking ecu but i will be needing to use the boot for germany, and for some reason my key wont unlock the boot lock, so it has to stay for now Sad

I fitted the new rear numberplate.
[Image lost]

Finally i touched up a few areas in the engine bay which were affected by my many petrol leaks. Doh
[Image lost]

I may well just order myself a fiberglass bonnet and tailgate, undecided whether to use aerocatch fixings for the bonnet or try and keep the standard latch setup. I think i would prefer standard setup incase theres ever an engine fire it will be quicker to get in there and try to put the fire out.
Will get locking aerocatches for the tailgate so i can get rid of the central locking, but will also need to get a polycarbonate rear window as it wouldnt feel right fitting glass into a nice and light fiberglass tailgate.

I also need to source a new gearbox at some point as its a bit silly getting into 2nd at anything above walking pace. But if i get another box i may aswell get a slippy diff at the same time, and thats not cheap so won't be happening any time soon Laugh

I've had a bit of a leak from my brake lines where they meet the bias valve, it seems to have almost stopped but im going to sort it out once some new adapters arrive, i have another bottle of ATE Suber blue stuff ready to put in, and hopefully the rear bleed nipples wont have seized yet as i can't be bothered to spend another 3 hours drilling and milling them out LOL I smeared a load of copperslip over them after i had bled the brakes last time to try and keep the threads a bit protected from air and water, i don't know if it will have worked or not though.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Aug 2017 at 15:16
andy306gti

Regular

Post #138
Sorry to go off topic but is that a 405 in the right of the picture of both your cars?
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 07:24
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #139
andy306gti wrote:
Sorry to go off topic but is that a 405 in the right of the picture of both your cars?

Yes My dads pimp wagon Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 16:23
andy306gti

Regular

Post #140
Awesome! Always loved my dads old 405(s). Partly why I've had so many different pugs.

Don't see too many around these days...
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 21:54
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #141
My dad loves it, he genuinely thinks its the greatest car in the world Doh (We all know the 306 is really Laugh)

We're like a peugeot dealership, my mum has a 307 and my room is literally full of nice new genuine pug parts Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 22nd May 2011 at 23:14
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #142
Today i removed a couple more brackets and the door cards. Not really done a massive amount as most stuff i need to do now involves needing money, and that is something i definitely don't have anymore Sad

I ordered some brass adapters for the brake lines along with some PTFE based thread sealant, hopefully the combination will sort out the weeping where the braided lines meet the bias valve.
I was having a little play with the bias valve down a back road yesterday and it works, it brought out my inner child which loved enabling more pressure to the rear wheels so its just like a mega effective handbrake Ninja

[Images lost]

Relocated the earth point that was on one of the seat mounting brackets:
[Image lost]

And re-housed the central locking ECU to the inner rear quarter:
[Image lost]

Hopefully another set of new driveshaft seals will turn up one day this week so i can get the car jacked up and replace the seal between the gearbox and the speed sensor housing (i completely forgot to buy a new one when i had it all apart and tried risking the old one when it went back together....it failed Doh)
Will fit the new driveshaft seals at the same time as i forgot to leave them sitting 1mm proud last time and think there may be a slight weep from the NS seal too.

Once i have the new seals all sorted and fresh gearbox oil in once again i will get the tracking sorted out at the weekend and it will be ready to go Big grin

I'll be doing one, maybe two sessions at FCS as a bit of a shake down then the friday after will be its first trip to zie fatherland Hyper

I wouldnt mind getting it weighed sometime too, just to ease my curiosity. Theres still loads more weight to be saved, but some of the ways of doing that get pretty expensive.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Aug 2017 at 15:17
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #143
Little update time, i sorted the gearbox leak last weekend, replaced the seal that goes between the speed sensor housing and the gearbox and also fitted new driveshaft seals as i had forgot to leave 1mm protruding when i did the last seals, one wasn't leaking but the other one had a tiny weep so decided to change them both since i bought the new ones as a pair LOL

I took the car to have its tracking done, it was quite a way out but all sorted now. The guy looked like he wanted to kill himself when i told him i had had the steering wheel off, subframe off and rack off. Still not worked out why but it really seemed to upset him much to my amusement Laugh

Today i took a load of scrap to get it weighed in, whilst i was there i stuck the car on the weigh bridge, it came in at 1160kg. Thats with a tank full (petrol station 2 miles down the road) and me, i just weighed myself at 70kg.
If the website i used is right 60 litres of petrol would weigh about 45kg at 15*C, which is what it probably was at, so the car is roughly 1045kg as it stands. However that was with 4 scrap brake discs, the abs pump, a few electric motors, starter motor and various brackets which i have chopped off still in the car, so i would hazard a guess that its nearer 1020kg.
The person operating the bridge said it weighs in 20kg intervals, so it could be closer to 1000kg or 1040, who knows Dunno
Either way im pretty happy with that weight for now.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 3rd Jun 2011 at 23:55
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #144
Weighs about the same as mine with a full interior and sunroof now then Razz

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 4th Jun 2011 at 00:02
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #145
But i bet your missing out on every panel vibrating like mad in yours, so yours is missing 'character' Laugh

I forgot to mention in the last post that i sorted out the leaky bias valve, i ordered the brass adapters 1/8" NPT to M10x1, but when i fitted them it turns out that the ends on the braided lines arent M10x1 at all, so i measured the thread major diameter on the old stainless adapters and it was around 9.4mm Doh

Luckily i had been anal and bought some PTFE brake line sealant so gave everything a good spraying with brake cleaner and left it to dry, then applied the sealant, fitted the adapters and lines and left it to set overnight before filling back up with brake fluid and bleeding the system.

Today i cut up the old middle seatbelt and made it into some door handles since the door cards are now non existant, i didnt take any pics so will stick some up next time i have an update.

I changed the earthing point for the battery as i was getting very intermittent 'STOP' flashes which i assume could have been a less than ideal earth point, i havent been out long enough in the car to see if it has stopped it but hopefully it will have.

I gave the roller bearing wishbone bushes another few pumps of grease at work this morning, i wasnt sure if my dads grease gun was actually pumping much in or just spreading it round outside the nipple LOL

Finally i gave the car a quick wash ready for FCS tomorrow, i have acquired another session on track so will hopefully get some footage and put it up on here asap.

The only problems with the car now are the issue of trying to get it into 2nd at any high speed, and at around 2000 rpm it seems to be quite jerky, but below and above this its fine, and its not always apparent so i assume it could be a spark plug, coilpack or sensor, which i will have to look into further later in the week when i get a spare minute.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 4th Jun 2011 at 23:48
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #146
Hmm, your electric windows/mirror switch location looks familiar Hmm

Chris
Posted 4th Jun 2011 at 23:54
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #147
cjm_harris wrote:

Ninja You caught me stealing your ideas Laugh my ass off

EDIT: My door handles are even pretty similar, which i thought i had stolen the idea from Rikky LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 4th Jun 2011 at 23:58
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #148
prism7guy wrote:
cjm_harris wrote:

Ninja You caught me stealing your ideas Laugh my ass off

EDIT: My door handles are even pretty similar, which i thought i had stolen the idea from Rikky LOL

Laugh my ass off Fair play mate, it is a good idea Smug

Laptop bag strap door handles FTMFW Laugh

Chris
Posted 5th Jun 2011 at 00:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #149
Also, what is that black box with wires connected to it just under your window switches? Mine doesnt have that Hmm

Chris
Posted 5th Jun 2011 at 00:03
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #150
Ebay fuel resistor.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 5th Jun 2011 at 00:19

Pages (36): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last