displaying posts 101 to 125 of 659

Pages (27): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: 2wd Offroad Buggy
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Aw bugger, you put a bit of a topic up on a wierd, home-built off road buggy made from scrapyard bits and what do people look at?

Dan's next bloody crash scene!

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st May 2009 at 06:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
Right, spent the weekend tidying the car up - had all the engine out to change the clutch plate due to it slipping, and a new, higher temperature oil seal on the gearbox input shaft as the old one melted.
Sorted out a bigger oil cooler and made a much better cowling for the radiator to spread the fan pressure across the whole radiator surface, unfortunately the oil cooler is so much bigger than the old on that it's had to go in front of the radiator - which isn't great for water temperatures given it's hotter than the rad - but the new cowling should sort the water out anyway.

Rear suspension has been apart to measure up for some new oilon/nylube bearings on the beam, along with tweaking the secondary torsion bars a bit, few guessets on the front of the frame to stiffen the beam up slightly, and back out in her again this weekend Smile

Sunny Wales again Doh

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Nov 2009 at 15:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #103
yay! LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Jun 2009 at 16:54
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
You'll be able to hear it from your house LOL

Email me!
Posted 22nd Jun 2009 at 19:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
Hmm, do you reckon 1mm of front brake pad material is enough?

LOL

Not bad considering they've only done 1 event and bit of practise around the workshops...

Email me!
Posted 25th Jun 2009 at 03:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
Well, she went well enough this time, with no major trouble, unfortunately the course was very narrow and quite fast in places, resulting in 10 cars rolling or flipping end-over-end, so we never really got a clear stage all day due to slowing down for accidents and/or jumping out to see if someone was OK, still managed to finish 1st in class, 12th overall.
From the one time we did get a clear-ish run - only one accident to drive around and got stuck behind a slower car for a mile or so - the time if we'd had similar or a few clear runs should have put us about 6th or 7th, up with the big boys with 50-100k cars Devil

Next job - sort out a better looking bloody numberboard.

Email me!
Posted 29th Jun 2009 at 05:42
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
This is why people went end over end, a little bump that looked like you could take it flat out, but the shape of it fired the back end of the car into the air even with our rear-heavy beastie:

Email me!
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:50
dr-evil

Senior User

Post #108
Cool...its got a strong front end then Thumbs up

Cad Monkey will work for chocolate biscuits....I'm not kidding
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
The car'll stand up to it, it's just not the fastest way of getting around LOL

Email me!
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
Well, the cars had some fresh oil in the rear dampers (see Strut Rebuild thread in Suspension for the state of the old stuff!), some slight revalving and a couple of new piston wear bands, plus a regass with some fresh Nitrogen.

The new springs for the rear which I've been harassing Ed to get for the last 2 months have arrived, unfortunatly, they turned up this morning, so there's been no chance to fit them as the car was on the trailer ready for a nice 5-hour drive down to sunny Minehead, for the next round of the events tommorow.

Unfortunetly, minus me, due to having mild flu all week and it leaving me with bad tonsilitus as a parting shot, bah Sad

Email me!
Posted 18th Jul 2009 at 21:51
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Well, after a quick phone call, I've ascerned the course may be a little hilly:

quote:
...Steep, really f*cking steep, and I mean it, we had to slide down some of the drops on our backsides on the walkaround kind of steep, the front brakes are going to be f*cked...

Although the damping is better LOL

Although apparently there are 6 brand-spanking new Milner R5 Dakar-spec trucks there testing, this could be interesting Devil

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 01:52
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #112
That thing looks insanely fun to drive! Not jealous at all... Ninja

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 05:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
Gimme a couple of years to build a better one and we'll sell it you Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 05:43
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #114
gimme a couple of decades to get an education and a job and I'll build a better one than you Flip

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 05:48
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
Pfft, by then I'll have a full-time job building trophy shelves.

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 05:50
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
... for people like me. Big grin

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 05:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
Nah, you'll do what a lads done this year, get some money together from family + friends for sponsorship, built the car in the last year of a masters motorsport engineering degree for his dossier, with carbon fibre double wishbones, and a little F3-car-alike body...

...then wrapped it around a tree after realising the events are a lot rougher than they look Razz

Besides, the next car'll have suspension that makes most things this side of a WRC car look iffy.
In fact, it'll probably be better than most WRC cars too LOL

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:06
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
lol. sounds like a pleb to me!

Actually I kinda fancy building something out of an alfasud. My intro to motorsports was going with my uncle to an event at Zolder when I was 9 with his pair of suds. Think it was the Trofeo Alfa Romeo he competed in. Ever since I wanted to do what he did for a living. Would be col to actually go and do it.

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:06
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #119
Wouldn't be much alfasud left if you built it for this stuff Razz

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:07
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
with the way they rust, the probably wouldn't be much alfasud in the first place!

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
Seat, steering wheel, alfa badge?

Bingo, that's about all you can use anyway!

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:14
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
haha. I'd build one for circuit racing if anything. don't think I could afford to do anything more interesting. we're pretty poor Sad.

Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
I'm skint!

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 06:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
Well, just phoned Ed, he's put the bloody thing straight into a tree on the first stage Doh

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 18:25
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
Both front beams smashed, steering rack smashed, all the tubing in front of the forward bulkhead buckled, uprights bent and some dents at the rear of the car where it wedged between another tree. Sad

No injuries to the occupants, but I'd imagine Ed's going to be bloody sore for a week from the sound of it.

Major car surgery time, and there's only 4 weeks to the next event Sad

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2009 at 18:58

Pages (27): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last