displaying posts 1 to 25 of 659

Pages (27): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: 2wd Offroad Buggy
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
This might interest some here, it's a little different from the norm, so I'll give a quick rundown on the car and flesh it out later with more detail.

It's been done between me and my mate Ed (his car), he originally built up the frame as a cheap car to compete in the local regional championships in, total build cost was around

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Nov 2009 at 15:20
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Cool....... Cool

Keep us updated, I love things like this!!Love

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:38
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
phill, your a lucky man!

ive got the ability to do this, but hell, its having the time, place and patience, good on ya lad!!

your one lucky chap!

Going through the gates of Hell Backwards, in a ball of flames!

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:37
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
It's seriously suprising just how many man-hours there are in the little heap!

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:38
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
yea i know what you mean, its shockinghow long little things take!

do you work from rotherham then? not that far actually!

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yep, work from here, they build real cars too LOL

Email me!
Posted 16th Nov 2009 at 15:29
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
what ya mean by "real"?

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:48
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Well, still offroaders, but..................

Email me!
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 06:47
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
oh i c, any jobs going?

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 22:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Only if you're a 6ft leggy blonde secretary. LOL

We might be running up the hill at Pugfest.

Email me!
Posted 28th Jun 2008 at 23:15
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
ive got a wig Wink

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 29th Jun 2008 at 00:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Right, job number one was to mock up and adapter plate to get the RX-8 engine onto the VW gearbox, as well as machine a new flywheel with a counterbalance weight to fit a smaller clutch, as the the Mazda unit is too large for the bellhousing.

So, a decent 2800lb pressure plate, plus an AP cerametallic 3-puck clutch plate, with the centre cut out and a VW one pressed in, made it's way onto the engine:

Which lets us bolt the engine on for mock-up of the ancillaries and hoses, before taking it back off and machining the various brackets and fixtures out of ally to keep the weight down - it's easier to mock-up in steel as you can just whack the MIG on it to tack something in place - but it's a hell of a weight penalty when you add up the amount of brackets and adaptors on a car, so all the final versions are ally where they can be.

New seat mounts to replace the steel ones, although we still haven't fitted em yet LOL

And a couple of hours work to get the exhaust manifold sorted out - unequal length manifold as the centre port is siamesed on these, like an a-series, so the centre branch meets at a different length to the others to keep it from causing problems with pulse tuning.

As you can see, still not touched the plumbing! Whistle

We've kept the standard intake manifold on this engine, as although it's quite large, it's an extremely good design, with several variable intake ports on it, replacing it with throttle bodies would result in a marginal top end gain for the cost of a huge amount of midrange.

A month or so later on and the car had the rest of the exhaust made up, a new crank trigger wheel on for the DTA to read (they're a right pain to make up!), most of the plumbing in, and the loom stripped out for wiring to begin, hence the big pile of old wiring on the floor:

A new rear bonnet to keep it all dry:

And we finally got the thing running about a month ago, there's still a few jobs left to do on it, and a lot to tidy up, but at the minute she's sat on the dyno having a flat spot sorted out and the top end mapped, as it had only been to 6500rpm due to an injector problem - the rev. limiter is at 9600rpm...

Hopefully, we should soon be back to this:

I'll get some video when it comes back, the engine noise is amazing.

We'll run this car for a year or two to prove the drivetrain, then sell it and make a new car with the RX8 engine (well, the new 1.6L version, when it arrives) in the middle where it should be, multi-link wishbones and a body with at least some kind of nod to aero LOL

Email me!
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 00:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
phillipm wrote:
Only if you're a 6ft leggy blonde secretary. LOL

We might be running up the hill at Pugfest.

Phill, I meet the criteria when do I start?

that would be awesome to see the beast at Pugfest!!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 05:22
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Start walking Mei!

We're working on it but not certain if we'll be ready in time, doors to go on and the geometery to set up yet.

Email me!
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 05:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Old vid. from the VW days, we'd just switched the car over to some dellorto 40's instead of the old Webber 48's it was on, took some tweaking later on to get that flat spot out of the midrange though:

Email me!
Posted 30th Jun 2008 at 06:24
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Right, picking it back up from the dyno on Thursday, took a while but it's had all the variable inlets and the 3 injector banks run in all their various configurations to get the absolute maximum out of the car throughout the power curve.

Should have a final power run while we're there so I'll try to remember the camera.

Email me!
Posted 2nd Jul 2008 at 04:35
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Quick spreadsheet based on the figures I've got back after speaking to the guy mapping it, there are 3 slight dips in the torque curve where the variable valves switch over, which aren't on here, but overall a very, very nice spread of torque.

Email me!
Posted 3rd Jul 2008 at 00:42
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I can confirm, it does indeed hook up a proper wheelie when the clutch is dumped in first.

Might even be able to hold it through second and third with a bit of practise, not very nice on the driveshafts though LOL

Email me!
Posted 4th Jul 2008 at 01:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
It does it in second too Whistle LOL

Email me!
Posted 11th Jul 2008 at 04:08
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
legend lol

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 12th Jul 2008 at 00:16
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Don't know how this sounds as I'm on the laptop - sound far too tinny on these little speakers, but quick engine clip:

Email me!
Posted 21st Jul 2008 at 02:47
blue_haddock

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
How does it sound?

Like a long deep wet fart!

suck my plums!
Posted 21st Jul 2008 at 03:50
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
I'll get a better vid. tommorow.

Email me!
Posted 21st Jul 2008 at 03:54
sacko_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Looks like an awesome build.. looking forward to the updates!

Build Date - 30 September 1997 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Posted 21st Jul 2008 at 20:38
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
true engineering - fantastic Yes
Posted 24th Jul 2008 at 09:51

Pages (27): [1] 2 3 .. last