displaying posts 526 to 550 of 659

Pages (27): first .. 21 [22] 23 .. last

Author Subject: 2wd Offroad Buggy
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #526
Let me guess, Rapid welding?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 16th Dec 2013 at 23:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #527
Nah, local little welding shop.
The machine itself is pretty nice, the torch is a bit s**t though.

edit: Even RW are charging a lot more than was paid for that one LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 13:06
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #528
Fair play for buying local, Rapid do well enough ready. Torch looks very long.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 18:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #529
Well, he doesn't do a bad deal for gas and parts so may as well give him the machine sale, like I say, it was a bargain anyway. Even for a Kemppi Wink Big grin
Yeah, it's the 5 metre torch, probably a bit too much for the feed, was fine when new but a little dodgy since moving it last week, might have been better on 1mm wire rather than 0.8mm
The thing is too small for a 250 amp machine though, crank the amps up and you want some damned good gloves on...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 18:51
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #530
Take the red liner out and fit a blue (0.6mm-0.9mm) one, too much clearance allows the wire to wrinkle causeing feed problems. Either that or just bung on a metre 250 amp torch, problem solved.

Harness bars
Posted 18th Dec 2013 at 08:54
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #531
The long torch is handy for climbing through cars for cages though Big grin

Email me!
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 19:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #532
Ed got one whole wheel on the floor, we've invented an agricultural unicycle!

Email me!
Posted 17th Dec 2013 at 22:57
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #533
Fook me, 2 years and it's not much further on than this.

It's nearly as bad as Midlife's Rallye...

Email me!
Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 19:21
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #534
He's broken his up and sold it now Sad. Good to see you back tho mate

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 20:06
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #535
Ah, had allsorts of s**t over the past couple of years, haven't even got up to do the buggy, never mind any work, been a bit hectic, nursing a broken arm at the minute as it happens...

Email me!
Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 20:42

Seasoned Pro

Post #536
How did you manage that? You still been out to the race meets at all? Wonder how that awesome sounding 204 was going?

Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 20:48
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #537
Snapped a ratchet and smashed the handle into my radius Angry

Haven't been over to the french events for years, the 205 has a triple rotary in it now, he's building a new engine for next year though.
Having said that, there is a new event that's not far from Calais at the end of this year - so thinking about going over with a couple of mates just to spectate.

Afraid this topic is going to be copy-pasted'd to death to catch it up, cause I really cba to rewrite it for you buggers LOL

quote:

the new arm revealed one stumbling block after being cycled - the existing rear geometry gave massive toe change with the extra travel we were intent on using, and nothing beneficial either. After hearing Ed swearing about it for a while I had a look and we decided to just re-do the mounting points on the car and make another new arm - I've been wanting to alter some of the rear geometery for a while, so there's really no better time than when you're making a new arm.
We've removed a little of the rear camber change, and lifted the outer pivot to help with the toe curve, which now has about half the previous toe change over the travel and what is there is helping rather than hindering now. As a side bonus that brings the anti squat up a little closer to where I'd like it, and lowers the rear roll centre which should help with a little more traction/grip.
Cheap and cheerful jig to swap the pivot location over to the other side of the car, nothing fancy but it works:

And on with the new, new arms:

It's made the area for transmitting load around the bumpstops and damper mounts much neater so they should end up a little lighter too, added bonus!

Rear damper mounts ended up a lot neater too:

Email me!
Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 20:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #538
And some more s**te for you all to catch up on:

quote:
Could just do with finding some wheels with another inch of offset, unfortunately the only thing around are from compomotive and speedline, and they weigh a damned ton Sad
Might have to be DIY'd wheels again Big grin

We can actually put wheels back on all 4 corners, novelty!

I'm not guaranteeing they'll stay there the first time it goes down the lane though...

Car going back together and shiny new discs - clearance on the caliper is a little risky mind...

Email me!
Posted 6th Aug 2015 at 22:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #539
quote:
It's not particularly pretty, given there's now a scoop on the scoop and it makes it look top-heavy, but needs must:

Not being too happy with the temporary air inlets for the manifold and supercharger, and having a spare bit of billet from another project, Ed make a small mountain of swarf today and replaced the manifold one whilst I was swearing at the cam sensor (I had to make a plug for it, because we couldn't get a connector to fit it for love nor money):

Well, I've been out of action for a while with family health issues, and some of my own - dog decided to try to claw my eyeball out of my face recently, in fact, I'm posting this from the comfort of my bed Big grin - but the fairies have been doing all those time consuming finished touches whilst I've been MIA. Clutch pedal and mountings are finished and the hydraulics piped up, fuel pump and filters remounted, and they've just finished a nice little cover for the dry sump belt.
Not something that's much of an issue for the tarmac boys, but I'm not sure I want to see what happens with 9000rpm's and an engine bay full of mud and rocks...
Anyway, nice tap fit bosses with seals for the pump casing, and there's a Lexan cover to be sealed over the front so we can inspect the belt without having to break any seals if not required:

I left the fairies to their own devices for a while whilst my eye was healing - and everything fell to bits...

Email me!
Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 11:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #540
Annnd some more:

quote:
Friend of mine told me all about his new sandblasting cabinet the other day, and how he'd do me some bits and pieces if I wanted. Think he's regretting it now Wink

Off to the platers to be shinyfied:

Rear hubs got anodised for corrosion protection, being in the s**t all the time at the ends of the arms:

And back together:

Email me!
Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 11:59

Seasoned Pro

Post #541
Hmmm love the anodizing is it very pricy?

Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 12:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #542
Wasn't too bad that lot was about 50-60 IIRC, both sides, plus some pulleys, etc for wear resistance.

Email me!
Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 12:22
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #543
Now, since we'd gone completely overboard on the rear after what was supposed to just be a quick engine swap, we agreed that apart from pulling the suspension apart for new bushes, bearings and pins, we weren't touching the front of the car at all.

So, here's Ed chopping the front cross out and making a new one...Doh:

quote:

Ed's started chopping the front out now the rear's going back together. May as well have built a new car....
New front cross going in that mates to the beam stiffening bars we added a few years back, and is higher to clear the new pedal box and fuel tank/battery/PAS which have been shifted backwards for better weight distribution:

New mounts for pedal box going on:

And some new floor bars, to mount the seat belts clear of the new bulkhead and help prevent anal insertion of the various large rocks we always seem to land on.

Then we had a terrible workshop accident Big grin

quote:

The flywheel fell into the lathe and we couldn't reach it in time, it was viscously attacked by a passing boring bore, and when we eventually got it out, has lost a considerable amount of flesh. He's resting on the bench now under a sheet, but I fear he may never be the same again...
)

Poor little flywheel! Wink
Then to top off the health issues I caught a pretty nasty infection in my almost healed eye, put me out of action for another few weeks, anyway, quite a bit got done, but no photo's from that bit due to the above!

quote:

Now I've healed up, I'll get some pictures tommorow, honest - but the new floorpan is fitted up, Ed's made a new front bonnet and bulkhead, pipework/bulkhead fittings have gone in, new seat mounts are there, there's some more things to press and light up on the dashboard, ECU has been mounted, new brake/clutch reservoirs have been adapted and fitted, altered the wiper system so it autoparks and there's 2 speeds (sound trivial, but if you're giving someone a ride and they park the wipers right in your line of sight it's quite a distraction!).
Airbox prefilters are sorted and are going in tommorow to keep the larger items - grass/leaves/wasps*, etc, out of the cooling system and save the engine filters having to deal with 'em, got some more to do on the chassis loom as there's some spare wiring/connectors going in for future upgrades and because we're probably switching to a different PAS pump sometime in the year, so connectors for that are going in just in case.
Still plenty left to do on the hydraulics side but it's mainly just straight runs of pipe to the bulkhead connectors for the brakes, and a new fuel line.

Modified the lathe last week so we can spin 16" wheel rims in there - just - so we can make some new wheels much easier than before by skimming them true after welding them up.

Not far away (yes, I know, we've said that for 2 years - you're more than welcome to come and help if that's a problem Wink )

Bit of dashboard wiring fun (not):

And the aforementioned pics of other bits:

quote:

As promised, new front bonnet, ignore the steel box section, it was just there to hold the front square whilst welding as it's fairly thin aluminium, it's on hinges now and will get a gas ram lifter fitted to secure it, much easier to work on if you break down away from the service area then.

And new floorpan is on, new bulkhead, seat mounts, pedals, etc:

And some more fun with health (I lost 2 grandparents over the last year and I'd been looking after/ running the whole lot of them around to doctors, hospitals, etc, beforehand, plus a lot of other problems - hence being missing for a while and getting feck all done!)
Anyway some slight trolling....

quote:

Bet you didn't come back into this thread expecting a startup video did you?! Big grin Big grin Big grin

...good because you're not getting one hehe
Yep, you know that slow progress? Done pretty much nothing on the car for the last two weeks due to running around with family health issues again, to the extent of turning work away, so now I'm skint too, so probably not much getting done next week either biggrin
Anyway, less rambling, more shiny car, right?

No pictures yet, but we've decided whilst we're sorting wheels out, to swap the front hubs and make some new custom ones - cue groans at the back over more delays - it's not as bad as it seems though this time, honest.
We're doing it so we can run off-the-shelf alloys at the front too instead of the custom steel wheels, we've found some the right size and fairly tough which are a similar weight to the steels.
So, rather than being even more work, it actually just means we only need to machine up two aluminium hubs, rather than making wheel centres, machining true in the lathe and then jigging and welding wheels up, so - theoretically at least - it shouldn't take any more time than we had to spend making some new wheels anyway.

So the good news is, more shiny machining pictures shortly, the bad news is, the hydraulics and rest of the bits to get it running aren't getting touched until next week, although, there's some good news, in that there's only about a week of work left in those until fire-up time at last...

And some more:

quote:

Nope, no shiny billet pictures yet, you'll have to put up with the original rough drawing of the front hubs instead Wink

Saves us about half a kilo per side over the old hubs, and the wheels are about a kilo a side lighter too. Okay, it's not massive, but it's better than going the other way!
We've been through the front suspension machining the worn bits out and sleeving shafts/housings as it had all got a bit tired up front from the abuse again, takes quite some time as the king and link pins are a very close tolerance fit and the fit/finish needs to be perfect on them so that the bearings can take the impact loading - thankfully that's all done now, and tonight the new front hubs got roughed out Smile
Quite a lot of work left on them but I think there should be some shiny machined billet alloy pictures again next week, in case your weekly quota is running low Wink

And you know you're getting close to the end now 'cause this is where Captain Numpty here managed to break his own arm a month or so later on:

quote:
Good news, I'm not dead. Well, not yet anyway. I have broken my radius though which isn't helping progress atm, amongst other issues.

They still need scalloping out, and a bit more lightening work, but this is as far as we can go really with our old lathe and a pillar drill*, need someone with a mill for the rest.

(*Well, it's not, but I'd have to have them balanced after if I rigged up to do them in the pillar drill)

2 weeks later, after another hospital trip and a bollocking for shifting my setting arm...oops Razz

quote:
Update item #1 - My arm is still buggered. I've had a bollocking for using it for the last 2 weeks from at least 2 nurses now. Guess I should behave.

Update item #2 - Possibly the last machined piece to be done - which is a good job because the lathe is up for sale (~1m bed length, 200mm over centre, 3ph, if anyone's interested):

The cover/cap for the wheel bearings, bit longer than strictly necessary because it also acts as the guide for the alloys to help with wheel changes, and it seals the hole in the centre of them at the same time to stop them collecting mud and gravel.

And the brake bells are on the hubs, just need to make some new discs now - the old ones are fine, but, well, they're not shiny...

(No, we're not quite that vain - but the old discs can go with the 2-pot calipers and old hubs as a complete package to sell on then, might cover the materials for the new fronts.)

And, the most important of them all, item #3 - Bit of promo/workshop mug upgrade, vital performance item, knocks 10 seconds off the 0-StrongEnoughToTarnishTheSpoon time for most good teabags:

So, bar the front hubs coming back from anodising:

And some shiny front brake discs that should be done tommorow...

That's about as far as we've got up to now, bar a few odds and sods not mentioned in there -we got a new TIG welder thanks the Jim's advice, which, is, well, just slightly better than the old one. As in this was the first attempt to use it and as you can see, the cleaning isn't even dialed in and it was still as smooth as butter:

And I've swapped the fuse box in the dash as I wasn't happy with the quality of the other one, so there's a sealed marine unit in there now, plus a mil-type locking connector for the hand controls for the co-driver so the box can be disconnected out of the way, there was a little more tidying up/braiding on the dashboard wiring after the earlier work but I don't have a photo yet, I'll get one later:

But apart from that, just waiting on the brake discs and mounting the new front calipers, some brake lines and a bias valve to plumb in, and I need to do the main chassis loom next week (which is pretty much just a straight plug-to-plug connection from the dashboard loom to the engine one), and we're almost ready to fire up.
Mind, we've been almost ready to fire up for 2 years so...

Email me!
Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 12:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #544
Discs, look mahoosive but they're not chamfered yet, need grinding and plating:

And since the rear Hispecs have the same mountings and offset as the new front calipers, the workshop fairies cracked on with making them fit:

Email me!
Posted 17th Aug 2015 at 12:51
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #545
Nice updates Thumbs up
Can't beat new shiny parts! Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Aug 2015 at 16:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #546
You can, pressing the bloody start button after years will beat it LOL

Email me!
Posted 17th Aug 2015 at 20:52
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #547
Mine's only been off the road since easter but yeah, i'm looking forward to that moment on mine too! LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Aug 2015 at 21:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #548
The workshop assistant sayeth:
"Stop p**sing about and get these wheels on!"

(click for video) Smile

Email me!
Posted 23rd Aug 2015 at 20:12
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #549
The workshop assistant sayeth:
"Stop p**sing about and get these wheels on!"

(click for video) Smile

Email me!
Posted 23rd Aug 2015 at 20:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #550
Calipers/Discs mounting from the other side:

Front is done bar waiting for discs and some other bits to come back from the platers this week.

Email me!
Posted 23rd Aug 2015 at 21:01

Pages (27): first .. 21 [22] 23 .. last