displaying posts 551 to 575 of 659

Pages (27): first .. 22 [23] 24 .. last

Author Subject: 2wd Offroad Buggy
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #551
Engine bay loom got a little more tweaking for some extras and the end cut off to fit a better, single bulkhead connector:

Thousands of miles and plenty of trophies to it's name, but that abused old Peugeot 106 steering wheel is finally retiring from it's life of misery and pain (Ed's taking around the back and having it shot*).

Of course, that means an adaptor is required for the new one. The remains of my 306 got butchered for a column spline to use for spinning a new adaptor up in the lathe - thankfully it hasn't been disconnected to sell yet!
Lightening scallops courtesy of a Mr A.Grinder...

Due to having to TIG the old centre spline in it's all in steel, so no shiny anodised ally things today for you all. Terrible, I know - I'm sorry.
I think that's -5bhp for lack of anodising and -8bhp for not being able to say 'Billet Ally!' when talking about it.

(*KIDS! I'm joking, the wheel has gone to a home for retired steering wheels, it's getting leather food every day and frollicking in fields with other wheels, it's in a caring, happy place - and definately hasn't been violently butchered by an angle grinder wielding maniac requiring the steel spline out of the centre.)

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Sep 2015 at 11:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #552
Somebody found a spare barn door:

Spars being 3D printed:

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Sep 2015 at 11:54
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #553

The final parts are back from the zinc platers, so things are finally going together with proper seals, bearings and greased up ready to go!

New, bigger header tank with prettier welding:

Oooh, shiny....

Email me!
Posted 14th Oct 2015 at 12:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #554
Slacking on the updates a bit here, but the front went back together after a few issues with replacing worn bits, and finally on it's shiny new alloys:

Got into the Chrismas spirit with the Rudolf inspired centre cap.
Wink

Skidpans fitted, 6mm thick 6082-T6 aluminium plate for the transmission, overlapped by the main floor so even thicker there. The trans plate also overlaps the engine plate when that is fitted - making the underbody armour half an inch thick in some sections - it still takes a beating. The front beam gets it's own section of 6mm plate too.
Unfortunately it doesn't look this shiny for long.

Added more louvers than a louvery thing at a louver convention:

Rerouted some piping, along with some other changes the eagle eyed might notice - basically the hoses were a little close to hot spots for comfort, even with heat shielding, mainly because they'd been made few mm long by the supplier but with such short, wide hoses getting rid of the extra length means you end up routing at quite an angle into some of the fittings, and it also meant the dry sump belt was difficult to access - not something you want in the field!
Chances are the hoses would have been fine to be honest, but after this amount of time an oil fire is not the way you wish to discover that they weren't!

Anyway, that knocked on to shifting a few bits and pieces (exhaust relocated by removing the right support tube, and shuffling of the oil filter mainly) and then it meant remaking panels that were already done, doh....

A lot of the fuel pipe and wiring harness has been mounted properly and routed through padded clips and heatshielding too, time consuming but again, wearing a fuel hose or a chunky piece of loom against an edge or letting the vibrations fatigue fittings and crimps also bites you in the arse pretty hard for saving a couple of days not doing the tidying work....

Quality inspector came in to check things over too, the bloke is barking to be honest...

Put our Christmas decorations up...

New panels welded up:

Decided I didn't like the oil filter in it's new home either so it got moved again. Now lives under the sump in some space vacated by the exhaust being moved over - makes the hoses much neater with less bends in them and away from anything warm.....I think I'd had too much to drink over Xmas when I wrote this bit:

quote:
Today we see the lesser spotted Hermit Filter in it's natural location. Generally shy and lacking in mobility, this little fella finds a nearby engine and ducks underneath, using the sump for protection. Upon finding this safe location, he quickly hooks into the oil lines and then filter feeds on debris and dirt in the oil, providing a beautiful symbiotic relationship that helps the engine live longer.
That cute blue exterior hides some defences though - attempting to remove a Hermit Filter - even one that has only lightly screwed itself to it's new perch - often requires the services of Popeye (or alternatively the Left Hand of God, if he's around at the time) and unfortunately the trouble doesn't stop there.
After freeing the grip of the tenacious Hermit Filter, it borrows a trick from the aquatic world and aims a stream of hot, black oil at your hands, eyes, the floor, the walls and, for some inexplicable reason, the cream living room carpet.
Even if you've removed it in the garage, 10 miles away from home.
It's an incredible defence mechanism really.

More Louvery things:

Terrible video as the mobile's microphone picks up a whilst from a slight air leak on a gasket and nothing else. But fired it up at last.

Clicky for Video

Then 4 hours later this happened. Whoops.

Old 5-piece riveted and glued roofskin is now a lighter welded single piece effort. Much cursing and hammering was heard in the process. Sounded easier than it was, ripples all over the place to start with, got there in the end, needs a tickle to the right side is all.

Block decked and prepped:

New bearings getting dressed and moly coated:

Shiny new bits and uppy-downy bits back in:

And back under her little red hat:

Got bored and had a play with Paint to try out some colourschemes, not quite convinced but best I've come up with so far:

Email me!
Posted 14th Feb 2016 at 22:08
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #555
Wow ...what a update !
Colour scheme looks great from where I'm sitting Thumbs up

What else is left to do now ?
Posted 14th Feb 2016 at 22:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #556
Engine back in, finish some odds and sods of wiring, brake lines and pads need sorting, need to get some new CV joints bought and race-prepped/machined - but thinking about painting the frame first now. Finished the rear bonnet tonight, front one has had a skim of filler and been flatted to take a fibreglass one from it.

Email me!
Posted 14th Feb 2016 at 22:19
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #557
Looks and sounds bloody awesome.

Did have to laugh at the dog trying to eat exhaust fumes....

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 14th Feb 2016 at 23:50
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #558
Top secret new organic lambda sensor Yes

Pic from tonigh - front bonnet prep nearly finished, also changed/remade the roof scoop, well, the roof scoops' roof scoop) - has a squared off edge now rather than blending in to the tube on the sides, and smaller tube up front.

Email me!
Posted 15th Feb 2016 at 00:04
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #559
Nice updates! Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 15th Feb 2016 at 16:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #560
Aye, gonna miss the first event now though, the engine strip/rebuild cost us some time we weren't originally intending on, so might take the time to paint it all whilst the motor is out anyway.

Email me!
Posted 15th Feb 2016 at 19:14
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #561
Looks awesome credit to you Phillip bet you can't wait to let it have it Smile. Love the way you're dog is getting angry at the exhaust Smile

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 15th Feb 2016 at 20:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #562
You think that's bad you want to see him when moving, he runs by the side of it biting the tyres. Daft bas**rd!

Email me!
Posted 15th Feb 2016 at 20:46
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #563

Email me!
Posted 2nd Apr 2016 at 16:22
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #564
Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 2nd Apr 2016 at 16:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #565
Managed to drop on another spare gearbox this week too (well, Ed did), so for £90 we're back to one in parts, one in the car, and one spare built up.

Also means with having a complete spare we're not so bothered about needing the other stripped one - so going to see if we can custom make a limited slip diff for it once things settle down at my end Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 2nd Apr 2016 at 17:44
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #566
Back running again, minus whistling air leak this time. Refined the base map a bit myself and it's safe enough to bed in on now, will need some work on the ignition tuning side mind but it's just had some base timing pulled to keep it safe for the minute.

Guess the ponies?

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:03
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #567
Love your up dates Phil & the cars looking unbelievable & a massive credit to your imagination & talent ....please keep the updates coming & loads of pics Thumbs up

Any plans for it this year
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #568
320 bhp 200 lbft and about half a bar?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #569
Depending how long it takes to sort everything out with my mothers affairs and getting my dad back on track, hoping to take it down to Bournemouth Wheels Show but probably still be painting it then LOL

Tbfh could do with finding a friendly sprayer that would take the panels away and get 'em done, save a lot of hassle!

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:25
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #570
welshpug! wrote:
320 bhp 200 lbft and about half a bar?

Nope Whistle
Averages about 6-7psi over most of the range but creeps up near the top as the pipework/exhaust starts to restrict it a little. That's fine though as it will have the limiter set a little low to start with, probably 8000-8200ish just to keep the stress and wear down until we see how things go.

Does have a fuel leak on one of the chassis lines/crimps though so need that sorting before anything else happens Roll eyes
Get that sorted this week whilst hunting for new CV's and coating the driveshafts.

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:26
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #571
400bhp?

Ahh bugger you edited the post above whilst i was typing this, guessing 270bhp then with this new info LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:27
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #572
Not quite that insane I'm afraid.

Not yet anyway. Closer than Mei was though Wink

edit: 270?!
two f**king seventy?

We made that with the rotary, feck orf LOL
Try a 3 rather than a 2 Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #573

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 20:46
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #574
Sorry, keyboard must be broken Razz
Nice work! Wouldn't mind squeezing a bit more power out of mine once i get a proper diff Big grin

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 21:06
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #575
Yeah, next step for this is try to make a diff for it.

Easy when I had CNC mill to hand, rather harder with a clonky old manual lathe...

Email me!
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 21:07

Pages (27): first .. 22 [23] 24 .. last