displaying posts 1 to 25 of 79

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Keep the 6 good and get a Track Car?
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
Some of you enjoy my trials and tribulations, learning to work on cars with my 6. And very kindly and patiently off advice etc. So here i am again.

Background: I turned 40 and decided i wanted get my CAT B license. For no other reason except as a challenge or something to do. To do that i decided i would like to get something a bit slower than the GTR as i'd taken it up to Knockhill on an owners day and it's a beast round there and the track is quite small for it. Plus i felt i was nowhere near good enough to push the car. The oil temps, brakes and tyres took a pounding. And tyres alone are £1000, so i decided i'll get something from my teenage years for a £1000 and that i could put a spanner on too (also something i wanted to get a bit more proficient at)

I was fortunate enough to pick up what is quite a good example (paint aside) of a 6. And that's where the problem is.....As my mate put it, "you've fallen in love with you're f**k Buddy!".LOL He's kinda right because i jump in the 6 every change i get to drive it! So my thoughts are that i continue to work on the 6 in my own time, building what becomes a nice car to keep and maybe even show, and then get a MOT'd track car i can drive up to Knockhill and back.

I wouldn't be needing/looking to get a car till next year.

But what car would you get for a pre-built track car? Or would you not bother and just abuse my 6 Wink

Fast is not important. It's more about learning how to drive and something that would be quite robust and easy to fix.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 16:48
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I did similar with mine, used my daily 6 on track a few times and got the bug for it, but it was too nice to turn into a track car at that time so I bought another one for trackdays.
I'd look at 205's too as they have an instant weight advantage over a 306 but they don't seem to be too cheap these days. A 306 or a clio would be my other considerations for track cars, clios seem to go well but I don't know much about them to be honest.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 16:55
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I would never advise anyone to buy or build just a track Car only ....unless your Racing properly !!!!

I would advise anyone to build something you can use on the track but use it on the road sometimes aswell Thumbs up

Not a every day car ....just something road legal/ track able ...so you use it on week-ends if you want a smile on your face ...

Why would anyone want a Track Car that only gets used 8-12 times a year & left in a corner of your garage LOL

Just my 2pence view Whistle

Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 19:36
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
Day666 wrote:
I would never advise anyone to buy or build just a track Car only ....unless your Racing properly !!!!

I would advise anyone to build something you can use on the track but use it on the road sometimes aswell Thumbs up

Not a every day car ....just something road legal/ track able ...so you use it on week-ends if you want a smile on your face ...

Why would anyone want a Track Car that only gets used 8-12 times a year & left in a corner of your garage LOL

Just my 2pence view Whistle

Never ends well, I did a few trackdays in my pride n joy and ended up hooked. There's not really a good compromise between a good trackday car and a daily as once you've done a few trackdays, you want more which means more mods which in turn means a less usable daily driver. And so ur trackday only car evolves. Just my 2p's worth! Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 19:58
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Mines a track day / Action day car but also Road Legal Thumbs up
You wouldn't want to use it everyday though ......but it's Totally useable on the roads as well as the track weekends ....

No cage ....but everything done to it to make it Brake / Handle / and go as well as a stnd engine with Bodies can and be as much fun as possible Thumbs up
It can't Evolve much further unless I spend loads on a Engine rebuild & this stnd engine is more than capable at Combe & Prescott / Pugfest LOL

My daily is a 306 dirty Diesel 1.9
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 20:16
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Like Lee said, i got addicted to trackdays and didnt want to turn my daily into an out and out track car, but wanted to have something i could make faster over time as a project, hence my track car.
It's still road legal so does come out for a bit of fun on the odd weekend, but its far from desirable to drive on most uk roads now, and not the sort of thing you can just jump in to nip down to the shops.

I've got the two as the daily is a nice car to drive, i do hundreds/thousands of miles each month in it, then when i want to do a trackday i've got the other one which i turn up in, give it a day of abuse then drive it home.

It's also convenient as when one breaks i can use the other one as a backup or temporary spares donor until i get the part replaced. Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 20:13
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Day666 wrote:
Mines a track day / Action day car but also Road Legal Thumbs up
You wouldn't want to use it everyday though ......but it's Totally useable on the roads as well as the track weekends ....

No cage ....but everything done to it to make it Brake / Handle / and go as well as a stnd engine with Bodies can and be as much fun as possible Thumbs up
It can't Evolve much further unless I spend loads on a Engine rebuild & this stnd engine is more than capable at Combe & Prescott / Pugfest LOL

My daily is a 306 dirty Diesel 1.9

After the last sprint had two cars go over, get a cage in it. No joke.

You can still drive my track car as a daily, it's not mega comfy but it is fun!

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 21:30
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
The thing is, nobody will take you seriously if you drive round in a caged car with bucket seats, lexan windows and silly loud exhausts as a daily driver, just my opinion hence why i don't do it. Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:07
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #9
Yeah my thoughts are the track car is not something I'd drive daily. But can get to and from track and with a cage, bucket seats, harness and all the safety gear.

Was chatting to my sister today as she's offered to pay for the ards or cat b and was asking ny plans. My sister is the track doctor at Moto GP and BSB in UK and accidents happen on track whether your own lack of talent or someone else's. Obviously less likely in a car when it's only timed. But she said bits break on track. And you don't want to be in a car not designed to take an impact. And so she reinforced what Adam said. As much as it would be fun to take my current 6 around, I really don't want to ruin it. So an occasional use track car with cage and MOT it is.

So looks like I'll get a bought not built car next year.Will just need to keep my eyes open

I didconsider 205s before the 6 But good clean examples were pricey. But I'll see what tracked 5s come in at. Ta

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:29
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Consider good 106/saxo/clio too. Start with the proper safety kit. Power can be added later

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:52
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #11
adam b wrote:
Consider good 106/saxo/clio too. Start with the proper safety kit. Power can be added later

Thanx Adam. Good advice. I guess I'll have to join a bunch of forums and do some reading Smile

I do have a soft spot for Clios as I had one 93 plate for 9 years.

Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:57
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
prism7guy wrote:
The thing is, nobody will take you seriously if you drive round in a caged car with bucket seats, lexan windows and silly loud exhausts as a daily driver, just my opinion hence why i don't do it. Laugh

I don't tend to have a problem, but it's not loud and not stickered up etc. I do get asked loads of questions by people about it though, usually what it is used for. At that point it would be very gay to say it's a daily driver, but it mostly isn't and hey its been on tv:

https://youtu.be/iH8rjEHcsWg

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:58
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Careful with the cage. Most aren't installed well

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 22:59
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Anyway what am I saying?! LM1 RS sir. Stop fannying about with this French crap

Nothing to see here
Posted 6th Sep 2015 at 23:00
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #15
adam b wrote:
Anyway what am I saying?! LM1 RS sir. Stop fannying about with this French crap

I'm still getting over the cost of my brakes....So I can't imagine what the rest of that beast costs! Smile

If I had the money, and lived down south I'd go down ginneta route.

Carsunder500.com is about my current level! Smile

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 00:36
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
IMO engine is the last thing you need to do. Get a decent seat and harness in there, good tyres, replace the suspension, cage it, diff, weight saving.

The nice thing about the standard engine is it rarely goes wrong if you look after it. When you start spending mega money on more power then it's more likely to go wrong and cost more money. These cars are fully capable of being very quick on the standard engine.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 09:42
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #17
as Adam said, cage first, never use seats and harness without cage.

tbh, you'll have a lot of fun using it as it is, I've done a few trackdays and never felt the need to build a dedicated track car, I have made my road car more capable, I think, its certainly faster than a standard 16v ZX LOL

only trackday I have done in the zx was on a standard gti6 engine and totally s**te suspension tyres and brake pads, had a laugh!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 10:26
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #18
demondriverdan wrote:
IMO engine is the last thing you need to do. Get a decent seat and harness in there, good tyres, replace the suspension, cage it, diff, weight saving.

The nice thing about the standard engine is it rarely goes wrong if you look after it. When you start spending mega money on more power then it's more likely to go wrong and cost more money. These cars are fully capable of being very quick on the standard engine.

welshpug! wrote:
as Adam said, cage first, never use seats and harness without cage.

tbh, you'll have a lot of fun using it as it is, I've done a few trackdays and never felt the need to build a dedicated track car, I have made my road car more capable, I think, its certainly faster than a standard 16v ZX LOL

only trackday I have done in the zx was on a standard gti6 engine and totally s**te suspension tyres and brake pads, had a laugh!

Yeah i'm not that fussed about speed - so the advice to leave an engine stock resonates with me. Getting to knockhill is about an hour's drive, so need something reliable rather than tuned to an inch of it's life! At my age the processing power is starting to go, so i don't need ridiculous speeds to have fun. Big grin

But i can't see me stripping out and fixing a cage to my current 6. That was the plan when i bought it, but in hindsight i should have bought a different car for this project. This one with 38k on the clock, me as 3rd owner including the pre-register by dealer etc. I'd feel bad ripping it apart when there are plenty of other cars already more suitable!

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
definitely cage if its knockhill!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:07
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I'm regularly beating the lower end evo + impreza cars on the sprints with a pretty much standard engine. Been nip and tuck with some R35s too Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:22
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I would say 306 if you want the best on track without spending fortunes, I have had a saxo track car but shafts and boxes arent the strongest, Clio 172 track car they go well but dont handle as well unless you spend a good about on suspension, and was out yesterday in my bosses clio valver with 182 engine and i was very impressed with that to be honest, handles so much better than the newer clio sport 172/182. my rallye is pretty much just the basics, 60mm springs with standard shocks, lowered rear axle and stripped out and to be honest im happy with the way it drives and handles, was out at croft the other weekend and couldn't fault it for the whole of maybe £1000 it owes me

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:31
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
adam b wrote:
I'm regularly beating the lower end evo + impreza cars on the sprints with a pretty much standard engine. Been nip and tuck with some R35s too Wink

Exactly this, the standard engine is enough for most of the time. We lap faster than a lot of cars with the standard engine (although that's pretty much the only standard thing left!)

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:34
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Wink
demondriverdan wrote:
adam b wrote:

Exactly this, the standard engine is enough for most of the time. We lap faster than a lot of cars with the standard engine (although that's pretty much the only standard thing left!)

+1

Nothing to see here
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:35
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #24
eddy_gti6 wrote:
I would say 306 if you want the best on track without spending fortunes, I have had a saxo track car but shafts and boxes arent the strongest, Clio 172 track car they go well but dont handle as well unless you spend a good about on suspension, and was out yesterday in my bosses clio valver with 182 engine and i was very impressed with that to be honest, handles so much better than the newer clio sport 172/182. my rallye is pretty much just the basics, 60mm springs with standard shocks, lowered rear axle and stripped out and to be honest im happy with the way it drives and handles, was out at croft the other weekend and couldn't fault it for the whole of maybe £1000 it owes me

Thanks Eddy - that's good info. I do like the way the 6 drives and i guess it make sense with what little transferable knowledge i have! Big grin

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 11:58
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
I ran mine at brandshatch last week. It's my full fat daily driver with the usual brembo and coilover sort of set up. I would recommend bigger than a 13 row cooler too as my oil stayed pretty hot for the session. 125°plus. Also better brake fluid as I was suffering a bit of brake fade towards the end of the session. But overtook some much faster cars and even lapped an mx5 and civic type r. On that track I'd have liked more power but it certainly wasn't lapping slowly.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 12:10

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last