displaying posts 51 to 75 of 79

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: Keep the 6 good and get a Track Car?
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #51
Tarmac terror wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:
Tarmac terror wrote:
LOL..... seems not!!

What X5 you got?

TT

40D. Would like to get it tuned but no switchable box available.

Tomorrow I'm doing rear pads on it. Hoping it's not a ballache.

I have the 4.8iS E53....Smile. Had an E46 M3 prior to that and TBH, the X5 in 'sport' would have given the M3 a good run for it's money....

Rear pads are pretty straightforward if the E70 has the same layout as the 53

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4881.msg51051.html#msg51051

Pics in post #10.

TT

Nice looking car with a beast of an engine! Best that sounds amazing!

What's the deal with the plastic jacking points and needing a special adapter! Who the fek thought that would be a good idea! I guess i can jack from the rear diff but i like to use stands and i guess they will destroy the plastic without using the adapters!

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 00:20
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #52
I made up a little block attached to a round alloy puck which fits nicely into my trolley jack pad. Does the job very well indeed!!

Will get a pic up tomorrow if you like...

Makes jacking a piece of cake!

TT
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 00:41
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #53
Tarmac terror wrote:
I made up a little block attached to a round alloy puck which fits nicely into my trolley jack pad. Does the job very well indeed!!

Will get a pic up tomorrow if you like...

Makes jacking a piece of cake!

TT

Doh!Wish I'd realised that before taking the morning off! I'll just buy one if not ridiculously priced. The chances of me being able to make something is zero!!

So where do the axle stands go?

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 07:58
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #54
Okay think i figured out that i jack from the rear centre at the diff and put those pucks on the axle stands. Ordered off ebay £4 each so no big cost but annoying having to wait for them! Annoyingly t's now a weekend job

Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 08:45
Tarmac terror

Regular

Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 12:06
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #56
Tarmac terror wrote:

Thanks for that. I hadnt seen that that guy done the following:

"After both rear tires left the ground, jack stands were placed under rear suspension arms where they pivot on the subframe."

Very handy. Shame i'll have to wait until the weekend now as i'm working late all week to play catch up for today!

Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 12:45
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
eddy_gti6 wrote:
aaron6 wrote:
adam b wrote:
Maybe consider different oil and it will be pads rather than fluid if the pedal didn't disappear to the floor, Aaron

I'm using a Morris Lubricants 5/40 full synthetic from mitsubishi so that should more than up to it. I think some break fade is the pads but the pedal did go right down. On topic with this thread I'm trying to hit a happy medium between good road car and fun capable track toy. I want to do more track days but also need it to get to work and cover upto 15k a year.

5/40? I run 10/60 oil in my rallye and didn't see any more than 90oc when I was at croft.
Would this grade be alright for day to day driving too? Which brand are you using?
Do you have a cooler? If so, what size?

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 15:18
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #58
quote:

Thanks for that. I hadnt seen that that guy done the following:

"After both rear tires left the ground, jack stands were placed under rear suspension arms where they pivot on the subframe."

Very handy. Shame i'll have to wait until the weekend now as i'm working late all week to play catch up for today!

That was pretty much how I did mine. Kept the trolley jack pressurised under the rear diff carrier as added insurance as I wasn't overly happy about implicitly trusting the stands on a component that could move (albeit slightly). In the end, car was rock solid and didn't budge an inch!.

Would have preferred some solid axle stand points from BM though...... poor forward planning..

TT
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 16:44
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
aaron6 wrote:
eddy_gti6 wrote:
aaron6 wrote:
adam b wrote:
Maybe consider different oil and it will be pads rather than fluid if the pedal didn't disappear to the floor, Aaron

I'm using a Morris Lubricants 5/40 full synthetic from mitsubishi so that should more than up to it. I think some break fade is the pads but the pedal did go right down. On topic with this thread I'm trying to hit a happy medium between good road car and fun capable track toy. I want to do more track days but also need it to get to work and cover upto 15k a year.

5/40? I run 10/60 oil in my rallye and didn't see any more than 90oc when I was at croft.
Would this grade be alright for day to day driving too? Which brand are you using?

yes maye my car is my daily and is fine, sound and seems to run alot better on the 10/60 compared to the 10/40 I was running on before hand. I dont run a cooler no, dont see the need for one to be honest. Oil was elf of some sort 10w/60 as elf is pretty much all we use at work so went for that. Was about £50 if I remember right for 5 liters

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 22:31
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
Tarmac terror wrote:
Chr1sch wrote:
you have one of the best sports cars already in your stable

I hope to god you're not referring to the GTR......Thumbs down

LOL LOL

I refer you to THIS thread on gtr.co.uk...ha-ha-ha..

And it's continuation HERE..

LOL LOL

TT

Pretty sad really, the typical "I own car W, even though I've never driven any of them cars XYZ suck just because they're not to my taste".

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 19:30
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #61
RetroPug wrote:
Tarmac terror wrote:
Chr1sch wrote:
you have one of the best sports cars already in your stable

I hope to god you're not referring to the GTR......Thumbs down

LOL LOL

I refer you to THIS thread on gtr.co.uk...ha-ha-ha..

And it's continuation HERE..

LOL LOL

TT

Pretty sad really, the typical "I own car W, even though I've never driven any of them cars XYZ suck just because they're not to my taste".

I laugh at the OP. He waved at someone because they have the same make of car (and model kinda Big grin) and they didn't wave back! Or acknowledge him. Crime of all crimes. And that started what was probably the most popular thread on the site for ages! LOL Dunno Dunno Dunno

Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 21:50
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Most cars do suck in a straight line versus a quick gtr. But the interior is crap and the ride is rubbish unless you have the right suspension. But until you've done 50 to 150 in under 7 seconds it's hard to explain why they are so damn cool.

1200bhp sort of hurts but in a good way. And its cheap compared to a new Ferrari.

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Sep 2015 at 22:45
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
eddy_gti6 wrote:
aaron6 wrote:
eddy_gti6 wrote:
aaron6 wrote:
adam b wrote:

yes maye my car is my daily and is fine, sound and seems to run alot better on the 10/60 compared to the 10/40 I was running on before hand. I dont run a cooler no, dont see the need for one to be honest. Oil was elf of some sort 10w/60 as elf is pretty much all we use at work so went for that. Was about £50 if I remember right for 5 liters
Brilliant. Cheers Chris. I'll look into trying that. Thumbs up

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 00:34
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #64
quote:

I laugh at the OP. He waved at someone because they have the same make of car (and model kinda Big grin) and they didn't wave back! Or acknowledge him. Crime of all crimes. And that started what was probably the most popular thread on the site for ages! LOL Dunno Dunno Dunno

You forget the thread on ROTA wheels. The usual suspects going on about how they're dangerous etc and will kill you....LOL

The 'waving' thread morphed into a 'You MUST love the R35' by Chronos . Very amusing!! He should be a dictator in some tin-pot country..

TT
Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 10:48
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #65
Tarmac terror wrote:
quote:

You forget the thread on ROTA wheels. The usual suspects going on about how they're dangerous etc and will kill you....LOL

The 'waving' thread morphed into a 'You MUST love the R35' by Chronos . Very amusing!! He should be a dictator in some tin-pot country..

TT

Ahhh I didn't get that far.

Not loving my gtr at moment. Had to brake heavily for a fox (animal variety not Megan). Brakes locked. Flat spotted tyres (I think as there is vibration) and abs and vdc failure came up. No s**t Sherlock.

The 6 is far more fun and reliable. Although I was really enjoying the gtr before I had the brake.....

Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 11:47
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
I used to be pit crew/workshop help for a GTR GT3 race car.

I've been in a litchfield modded one with silly power that was a lot of fun, that was as a passenger though sadly.

Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 12:10
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #67
RetroPug wrote:

I've been in a litchfield modded one with silly power that was a lot of fun, that was as a passenger though sadly.

My car has more power than the GT3 car LOL but having seen it up close at Silverstone there is a little bit more engineering in that car.

Must have been great to see up close. Except when Sir Chris binned it LOL

Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 12:27
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
Not unknown for the abs units to go down but not usually like that.

That's a first for me...

Nothing to see here
Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 22:22
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #69
adam b wrote:
Not unknown for the abs units to go down but not usually like that.

That's a first for me...

I drove past the skid marks today.....quite a nice long line!! Shame it means a new tyre or 2.

But for some reason i don't seem to be the luckiest when it comes to cars and the GTR brakes in particular! I was feeling all chuffed when i got £700 off my insurance renewal (mostly from removing my ex and mum from my cars) and then..... But

Nissan are going to pay 60% of the part (that probably doesn't even cover the GTR-tax - but better than nothing). And labour is 3.8 hours but Nobles are going to do me a deal on that. So hopefully...after all that i'll be able to use the new set up in anger Big grin Which will be nice! Thumbs up

Which reminds me - i better get some Gulf Competition RF1000 or Motul RBF600 sorted before then.

Posted 9th Sep 2015 at 22:56
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
Why don't you ask nobles if they'll fit alcon discs from us...

Nothing to see here
Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 07:28
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #71
adam b wrote:

They won't?

Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 07:32
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #72
adam b wrote:

I take it someone bought them off you guys and took to them and they wouldn't fit?

Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 07:34
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #73
By way of example of how much luck i have. My fault i guess for not checking before starting the job.......

I took the wheels off my X5 which morning at 7 to change the rear pads before work. And the pads Mtec brakes have sent me are for a Peugeot 207! So it's wheels back on and off to work now. Replacements coming out tomorrow.

I think i should star in a car based remake of Faulty Towers LOL

Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 16:19
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
MisterGTR wrote:
RetroPug wrote:

My car has more power than the GT3 car LOL but having seen it up close at Silverstone there is a little bit more engineering in that car.

Must have been great to see up close. Except when Sir Chris binned it LOL

Yeah, my favourite was the GT1 spec car...that was an animal!

Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 12:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
MisterGTR wrote:
adam b wrote:

I take it someone bought them off you guys and took to them and they wouldn't fit?

No they buy stuff from us regularly. Not sure about the alcons but certainly tuning parts

Nothing to see here
Posted 10th Sep 2015 at 19:36

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4