displaying posts 26 to 50 of 79

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: Keep the 6 good and get a Track Car?
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Maybe consider different oil and it will be pads rather than fluid if the pedal didn't disappear to the floor, Aaron

Nothing to see here
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 19:04
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #27
MisterGTR wrote:
Some of you enjoy my trials and tribulations, learning to work on cars with my 6. And very kindly and patiently off advice etc. So here i am again.

Background: I turned 40 and decided i wanted get my CAT B license. For no other reason except as a challenge or something to do. To do that i decided i would like to get something a bit slower than the GTR as i'd taken it up to Knockhill on an owners day and it's a beast round there and the track is quite small for it. Plus i felt i was nowhere near good enough to push the car. The oil temps, brakes and tyres took a pounding. And tyres alone are £1000, so i decided i'll get something from my teenage years for a £1000 and that i could put a spanner on too (also something i wanted to get a bit more proficient at)

I was fortunate enough to pick up what is quite a good example (paint aside) of a 6. And that's where the problem is.....As my mate put it, "you've fallen in love with you're f**k Buddy!".LOL He's kinda right because i jump in the 6 every change i get to drive it! So my thoughts are that i continue to work on the 6 in my own time, building what becomes a nice car to keep and maybe even show, and then get a MOT'd track car i can drive up to Knockhill and back.

I wouldn't be needing/looking to get a car till next year.

But what car would you get for a pre-built track car? Or would you not bother and just abuse my 6 Wink

Fast is not important. It's more about learning how to drive and something that would be quite robust and easy to fix.

If your current 6 is a potential show car then just buy another to make into a track toy. They're cheap as chips anyway...... even the good ones Big grin

Stop whining and go and polish the GTR......LOL

TT
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:00
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
there is a straight Cat B rallye on copart ATM that is ripe for a track car water/flood damaged
owned by a guy on 306oc
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:10
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #29
Tarmac terror wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:
Some of you enjoy my trials and tribulations, learning to work on cars with my 6. And very kindly and patiently off advice etc. So here i am again.

Background: I turned 40 and decided i wanted get my CAT B license. For no other reason except as a challenge or something to do. To do that i decided i would like to get something a bit slower than the GTR as i'd taken it up to Knockhill on an owners day and it's a beast round there and the track is quite small for it. Plus i felt i was nowhere near good enough to push the car. The oil temps, brakes and tyres took a pounding. And tyres alone are £1000, so i decided i'll get something from my teenage years for a £1000 and that i could put a spanner on too (also something i wanted to get a bit more proficient at)

I was fortunate enough to pick up what is quite a good example (paint aside) of a 6. And that's where the problem is.....As my mate put it, "you've fallen in love with you're f**k Buddy!".LOL He's kinda right because i jump in the 6 every change i get to drive it! So my thoughts are that i continue to work on the 6 in my own time, building what becomes a nice car to keep and maybe even show, and then get a MOT'd track car i can drive up to Knockhill and back.

I wouldn't be needing/looking to get a car till next year.

But what car would you get for a pre-built track car? Or would you not bother and just abuse my 6 Wink

Fast is not important. It's more about learning how to drive and something that would be quite robust and easy to fix.

If your current 6 is a potential show car then just buy another to make into a track toy. They're cheap as chips anyway...... even the good ones Big grin

Stop whining and go and polish the GTR......LOL

TT

Sell me yours Wink (once you get the MOT sorted!)

The GTR insurance (just doing now) is coming in at £248 and the 6 is £172!! Big grin

I should really give it a polish and a drive. It's being totally neglected!

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:13
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #30
cully wrote:
there is a straight Cat B rallye on copart ATM that is ripe for a track car water/flood damaged
owned by a guy on 306oc

Cully you over-estimate my abilities Big grin But thanks! Thumbs up

I think i'll pick one up which has had all the work done (cage / seats / harness). Maybe not quite Jammapic standard (std engine is fine - as discussed above) so i can spend the time driving and doing up my current car. No rush to pick one up.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:16
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
I would certainly just mildly tickle it and get it on track - at the end of the day its a 306, you have one of the best sports cars already in your stable and sadly what ever you spend you wont get back, minty fresh or otherwise...

Mine is a dedicated track car (albeit one i drive there and back) because i have a company car that prevents me enjoying 'real' driving...that said, now its stripped including carpet it is on the edge of too much, it is very raw!

On track with a near standard engine (exhaust, K&N panel, oil cooler) it happily keeps up with type r's, clios' etc

Mine is a smallish oil cooler and oil temps never break 100 on track :-) - it is mounted right at the front though rather than behind rads etc
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:20
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #32
I'm not intrigued what happened to that car

http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/31126545?searchId=908180342

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:21
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
MisterGTR wrote:

This is what happened

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:31
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #34
RetroPug wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:

This is what happened

Thanks for link Luke.

That's pretty unlucky.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:38
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #35
Chr1sch wrote:
you have one of the best sports cars already in your stable

I hope to god you're not referring to the GTR......Thumbs down

LOL LOL

I refer you to THIS thread on gtr.co.uk...ha-ha-ha..

And it's continuation HERE..

LOL LOL

TT
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 20:57
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
What's the current price on that Rallye? Can't seem to see a price on the website

Ignore, realised the auction doesn't start until next week!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:07
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #37
Chr1sch wrote:
I would certainly just mildly tickle it and get it on track - at the end of the day its a 306, you have one of the best sports cars already in your stable and sadly what ever you spend you wont get back, minty fresh or otherwise...

Mine is a dedicated track car (albeit one i drive there and back) because i have a company car that prevents me enjoying 'real' driving...that said, now its stripped including carpet it is on the edge of too much, it is very raw!

On track with a near standard engine (exhaust, K&N panel, oil cooler) it happily keeps up with type r's, clios' etc

Mine is a smallish oil cooler and oil temps never break 100 on track :-) - it is mounted right at the front though rather than behind rads etc

See i enjoying driving the 6 on the road and up this way there are plenty of nice roads to go for a 'spirited' drive. If i were to put it in condition to take it on a track, i.e cage, harness, buckets etc i'd have to pay for someone to do all that work (well the cage at least), which would cost more than buying a pre-built car (i think) and also ruin the fun i have in it on the road. I can't see me selling the current 6. I think i will just have to move to one of those houses with a long long driveway (like we had when i was kid and my dad would have about 5 fixer uppers on the go at once) and continue to firkle with it Big grin

I drive an X5 day to day - so that's like sitting on a sofa and driving about albeit a 300bhp sofa LOL

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:07
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
It's much cheaper to buy one already done, 100%. The problem is will the work be done well enough (seen some crappy work in the past) and they don't come up often.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:08
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #39
Tarmac terror wrote:
Chr1sch wrote:

LOL LOL

LOL LOL

TT

I hate R35 drivers including myself LOL I actually never bothered reading those threads...might do now that Germany have scored a third!

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:08
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
demondriverdan wrote:
What's the current price on that Rallye? Can't seem to see a price on the website

0 bids on it so basically its free till someone puts a bid on it Laugh my ass off

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:12
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #41
demondriverdan wrote:
It's much cheaper to buy one already done, 100%. The problem is will the work be done well enough (seen some crappy work in the past) and they don't come up often.

I've got 6 months or so to find something done well and even then if i don't not the end of the world.......and with forums it's quite good to see the build threads to get an idea of how well the car was done.

I looked through the for sale threads and quite a few cars i'd considered sold on here Smile

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:12
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #42
eddy_gti6 wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:

0 bids on it so basically its free till someone puts a bid on it Laugh my ass off

I wonder if it does actually smell of s**t! Big grin

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:13
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #43
Tarmac terror wrote:
Chr1sch wrote:

LOL LOL

LOL LOL

TT

I read 5 posts (cant actually believe the OP!) and got bored...and it goes on for 2 threads.....fek me....... haven't those guys got cars to fix!! LOL LOL

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 21:15
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #44
LOL..... seems not!!

What X5 you got?

TT
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 22:44
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #45
Tarmac terror wrote:
LOL..... seems not!!

What X5 you got?

TT

40D. Would like to get it tuned but no switchable box available.

Tomorrow I'm doing rear pads on it. Hoping it's not a ballache.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 22:50
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #46
demondriverdan wrote:

When I looked the auction had started

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 22:51
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
MisterGTR wrote:
demondriverdan wrote:

When I looked the auction had started

auction ends Monday 14th September but no one has bid on it yet. Still cant see it going cheap even tho there isnt much worth having on the car like that. Engine, electrics, interior will probably all be f**ked

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 23:10
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
adam b wrote:
Maybe consider different oil and it will be pads rather than fluid if the pedal didn't disappear to the floor, Aaron

I'm using a Morris Lubricants 5/40 full synthetic from mitsubishi so that should more than up to it. I think some break fade is the pads but the pedal did go right down. On topic with this thread I'm trying to hit a happy medium between good road car and fun capable track toy. I want to do more track days but also need it to get to work and cover upto 15k a year.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 23:14
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
aaron6 wrote:
adam b wrote:

I'm using a Morris Lubricants 5/40 full synthetic from mitsubishi so that should more than up to it. I think some break fade is the pads but the pedal did go right down. On topic with this thread I'm trying to hit a happy medium between good road car and fun capable track toy. I want to do more track days but also need it to get to work and cover upto 15k a year.

5/40? I run 10/60 oil in my rallye and didn't see any more than 90oc when I was at croft.

Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 23:21
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #50
MisterGTR wrote:
Tarmac terror wrote:
LOL..... seems not!!

What X5 you got?

TT

40D. Would like to get it tuned but no switchable box available.

Tomorrow I'm doing rear pads on it. Hoping it's not a ballache.

I have the 4.8iS E53....Smile. Had an E46 M3 prior to that and TBH, the X5 in 'sport' would have given the M3 a good run for it's money....

Rear pads are pretty straightforward if the E70 has the same layout as the 53

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4881.msg51051.html#msg51051

Pics in post #10.

TT
Posted 7th Sep 2015 at 23:29

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last