displaying posts 76 to 100 of 404

Pages (17): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: Red Rallye S529 OAN
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #76
Never taken one off to be honest but I know if your going to all the effort to de rust the underside the last thing you want is to miss some and it start to come back ? Rust is a proper fecker
Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 21:45
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #77
Yeah, that's true.

Its just the area its in, proper pain in the arse to try and get to.... I'll try and get the bump stops off tomorrow

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 22:16
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #78
Grip and twist the bump stops and they'll come out. Go easy on the M8 setscrew though. It shouldn't be too bad if the bump stops are still there to keep them away from the elements, but if you throw a windy gun at them you may well shear them off.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 22:32
    bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
    Old pugs love a sheared bolt or stud! I live for a s**tty bolt thread or s**te stud
    Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 01:56
    Puggitt

Regular

Post #80
    I feel sorry for you guys, pugs here only rust in the gutter seal above the doors from stagnant water. Killer here is not keeping the rust inhibition of the coolant system up to scratch. But well done one the level of effort in this mate!
    Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 06:00
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
    Puggitt wrote:
    I feel sorry for you guys, pugs here only rust in the gutter seal above the doors from stagnant water. Killer here is not keeping the rust inhibition of the coolant system up to scratch. But well done one the level of effort in this mate!

If I drive mine in winter there are white streaks all over the car and in the engine bay from the salt on the roads. The underside gets a salt bath for half a year every year if driven daily.

This will be absolutely lovely when done. You're not a million miles from where I work so I might have to take you up on your offer to come and have a look!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 07:22
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #82
    No worries fella. Come have a look any time

Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 09:57
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #83
    Holy crap, that deox gel stuff is awesome....

From this....

To this.....just by leaving it to sit for 18 hours, even with how cold it's been...

Still a little bit to try and get in and remove but properly impressed.

Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 10:49
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #84
    So, as correctly predicted, it is pretty manky behind the bumpstops, and, as correctly predicted, I sheared one of the bolts. One came off no issues, the second I did as the first. Not too much force, undo, then tighten again, undo a bit more etc. Was all going so well until........Snap. Arse. Something else to drill and tap.

Oh well, something else to drill out and retap

Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 11:38
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #85
    Deoxed a few more patches at the rear. Half the car now covered in clingfilm!! Bump stop cups going off to be blasted tomorrow.

Got busy then with continuing to remove the rest of the underseal etc from the front of the chassis. Grim job, cold wind blowing up my top and jeans again.... Anyhow, it deffo looks like it's been trolley jacked in the wrong place on the passenger side too... Floor appears to be pushed up..

Hard to get a picture of it but you can see the odd angles in this pic..

Pushed up so much its separated a couple of the panels underneath. Again, a s**t pic but the red circled bit is where it is..

Luckily, there was about a foot of seam sealant (well, perhaps not a foot but I reckon a good 5-6mm!!!) which had kept the gap covered and hence moisture out. Gonna have to hammer the passenger side floor back down.....

The sill on this side is a proper mess too. God knows what someone has been doing...

Lots to do....

Posted 1st Mar 2015 at 14:31
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #86
    So,

The cleanest 306 chassis you are likely to see for a while.....

Cleaned off the Deox gel I applied yesterday. Been on for approx 24 hours, which I think was perhaps a bit too long really. Wasn't as easy to remove as before as it appeared to have 'set' a bit......Got it off though and it's done a great job again...

So pleased with how well clean I've managed to get it. Really need to get some paint on it now to make sure the hard work doesn't go to waste....

Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 16:29
    Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #87
    This is awesome work! I really want to do mine this winter. Like yours (and most!), mine had been jacked in the wrong place. Ive done temp repair of taking back all the rust and sealing it but want to get the whole underside done properly.
    Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 17:01
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #88
    Well,

As much as it was a shame to cover it all up again, I didn't/don't want the bare metal getting rusty again and snow is forecast for tonight so after a quick wipe down, I started applying the Electrox zinc primer. Firstly, a litre tin weighs an absolute ton.....it must be 2-3kg if not more! Guess its all the zinc in it. Anyway, got busy applying by brush. Used the brush to drive the primer into all the panel seals I could find. Ideally, I could perhaps with thinning a little of it down for this purpose but I didn't have the xylene its needs to be thinned with. Chuffing cold as well so did my bit for the environment by having the halogen inspection lamp and the portable fan heater going at full chat under the car. Made it quite warm actually and the primer dried relatively quickly. Will need to back over it in places I think. Apologies for the pics, look them with my tablet as my phone was flat...

Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 19:06
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
    Good work Thumbs up Will be minty minty by the time you are done Hyper

Just Drive It
    Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 20:39
    scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
    Nice work Smile
    Yep that stuff is heavy, I think its 90%+ zinc when dry.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
    Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 20:43
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #91
    rallyestyle wrote:
    Good work Thumbs up Will be minty minty by the time you are done Hyper

T'is the general idea...!! I only intend on coming here once!

Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 21:14
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
    Great work. I haven't removed the bump stop cups yet - Coskev told me you can still buy them new. I cleaned the cups out and blew wax up behind to slow the rust down until I can deal with it properly. Cleaning out that rectangular part behind the bump stop was very difficult as it is too deep to get at easily with all the tools. It is perfectly positioned for the rear wheels to spray salty road grit up in there too. The dremel with the small stainless brushes helped in the corners though.

I used a combination of brush-on and spray can Electrox - the spray is good to get in areas you can see but are difficult to get at with a brush.

Mis-jacking is a bête noire of mine - I had the cross-members behind the front wheel renewed and then someone (prob a tyre place) jacked the fecking car up on them and squashed them slightly - and by the time I found it there was a 50p sized patch of surface rust where the jack had scraped the etch primer/seam sealer/red paint down the the bare metal! I also had to replace a 12" piece of driver's side sill that was stoved in and had a rust hole. They can't help themselves and are attached to jacking it up on the floor like moths to a flame. That welded patch by your subframe would be a repair to improper jacking causing rust. I am now properly OCD about tw@ts damaging my months of work and leave a post-it note on the steering wheel with "jack only on subframe, axle tube and sill jacking points only - not on floor or box sections" on it.

My floor was pushed up on both sides. I hammered it back down with my booted heel. I also lifted the carpet before welding, and Electroxed/red painted the scorch marks on the metal inside the car after welding.

Your car shows why I need to get my beam off and fuel tank out to sort that bit out.

As others have said, these cars are actually quite rust resistant, given 15-odd salty winters etc. If idiots didn't jack them up on the floor all the fecking time, there would be a lot less rust.

I'm following this with interest!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 22:19
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #93
    Thanks Mik.

Interesting technique on pushing the floor back down, I shall have to try that one!!

Yeah, the fuel tank stud is a swine. I think there might be just enough on it to reattach the tank strap and get a nut on it. Need to get a new nut and give it try. Worst case, I'll cut the stud flush, drill out the hole, tap, wind in a length of threaded rod and secure with a spot weld or two.

The sill on the drivers side is really annoying me. As you had to do, I think it's going to need replacing. It's rusty where the se has split open, goodness knows what it's like inside. Gonna cut a foot section out of a solid donor vehicle and go from.there I think.

It's looks like mines been mis jacked on both sides, the passenger side is worse though. I also found a dent on the floor with a 10p sizes rust scab. Surface only luckily....

The tank really needs to come out. There were about half a dozen contact points between body and tank that had rubbed and turned into surface rust. I think I'll be sticking some rubber pads into the tank in those places when it goes back on. Much less issue in the beam area, other than it just blocking access. Thought it best to remove the lot and do it in one go.....

Good to know bump stops are still available, will look into those....

Posted 2nd Mar 2015 at 23:02
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #94
    Had an hour spare tonight and had picked up a couple more abrasive discs for the grinder. There were a couple of bits that hadn't covered properly, I guess where I'd brushed it too thin as its pretty thick so got busy. Bare metalled the rest of the area above where the fuel tank goes and the vertical bit at the end of the tunnel and got busy with the Electrox.

Chance of some O/T at work this weekend which will go towards paying for the rear beam refurb.

Posted 3rd Mar 2015 at 19:20
    af1-gti

Senior User

Post #95
    This all looks very familiar..

I hope you remembered the routing of the brake pipes.

Because i sure as well didnt and if you have a diagram i would love you a bit

Rich E wrote:

With the 306 Rallye the goal wasn't to make a purer or more focussed car. It was to make a cheaper car, and then cynically use Peugeot's motorsport heritage to make it appeal to enthusiasts.
    Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 02:22
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #96
    Is it a picture of the pipe work attached to the rear beam you need?

I see from another thread of yours it's to do with the compensator valve? All the pipe work associated with the rear brakes is still in place on my rear beam, complete with valve. Can get you some pics if you need

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 08:49
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #97
    I seriously think this car was either one used to teach Stevie Wonder how to Jack up a car or has been to every cowboy tyre fitter in the land......plenty of folded up bits along the sills, with the telltale peaks which will have been caused by the raised edge of the cup of a trolley Jack........

s**t photos of before, though you can just see a peak I'm on about to the very left of this pic....

Half an hour with those popular metal working tools that are a claw hammer and several pairs of pliers and, this section at least, is about back to how it should be....

Several more of these to go and fix yet....

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 17:50
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #98
    Straightened out another bit of the sill tonight. Again, this bitnhad seen a little too much trolley jack action....bent the edge straight to give enough room to get the wire brush into the seam to clean it out, then got it mall back into shape as best I could.

Back into shape as best I could. Need to have the side skirt off now to properly clean up the area.

Moved onto that horribly mashed up bit at the front. Managed to pry the various sheets apart a little to give a better view of what is going on...couple of before shots...

Opened out...even less attractive than a naked Vanessa Feltz....

You can see in this one how its pushing on the skirt and had knackered the rivet mount..

This is definitely going to have to come out and have a new section welded in. Its rusty in there, I can't see how far its gone and I'll never be happy knowing I left it in there........

Posted 5th Mar 2015 at 19:38
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #99
    So yesterday I started work stupid early (up at 3:30am!) But finished at 12!

Anyhow, not been overly happy with the zinc primer so far as I appear to have been a bit frugal in places and there were a few bits where I could still see the reflection of bare metal. So it got a second coat. Much happier.

Didnt do anythingntoday as ive been at work doing some o/t all day. Got another full day on it tomorrow. Been given the number of a local guy who might be able to do the sill so gonna call him in the morning

Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 20:25
    rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #100
    3.30am!! Madman LOL Thumbs up

Just Drive It
    Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 21:00

Pages (17): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last