displaying posts 101 to 125 of 404

Pages (17): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: Red Rallye S529 OAN
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Back tracking a bit, where can I get the discs you use with the angle grinder from? I need to de-rust and strip back the paint in the engine bay of one of mine, those look like they would make short work of it!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 21:13
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #102
rallyestyle wrote:
3.30am!! Madman LOL Thumbs up

Yeah, I have to get up at 04:30 every day as I work a 6-2 shift but 03:30 was nasty. Was in to see the night shift manager

Dan, search for grinder flap discs on eBay. Screwfix do them too, as I suspect a number of DIY places will do. Bang on though, once you've removed any underseal, seam sealant etc, they make very very short work of anything else

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 21:23
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Cheers, I'll check them out. Engine bay has a lot of surface rust I need to get rid of before repainting it.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 21:40
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #104
Grinder with a wire brush, then a flap disc. Anything left, slap some deox gel on it. Awesome stuff

Posted 7th Mar 2015 at 21:41
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #105
So today's plan was to get a load more done. Worked yesterday (nicest day of the year it seems..) to earn a few pennies to throw at this, with the idea I'd crack on today. Clearly, the weather hadn't bothered to have a read of its lines in the script.....

Undeterred, I went out and got busy. First job was fix my inspection lamp. It died on me Saturday night. I thought the bulb had gone. Took the glass out and gave that a good clean as it was covered in underseal, which has melted on the hot glass and then set when it cool (I've had to do this several times now) Tardis made short work of it. Bulb clearly hadn't blown so reseated it, glass back in, jobs a good 'un...

Next job was to continue cleaning up the passenger side chassis where it meets the sill, and sort out the multiple marks on the sill where it had been viciously attacked by a wild trolley jack.........or errant tyre fitter who should really have known better....

More underseal and seam sealant removed and more mess made, the highlight of which was having a hot ball of recently wire brushed seam sealant find possible the only gap between my goggles and face and promtly roll slowly down it. All whilst I've got a Grinder with a wire wheel doing 10000rpm inches from my face........ interesting inst the word!!

Enough blather. Only a couple of pics from today really. Before pics of the trolley jack damage...

Poor pic i know but a good example of the twin marks you get from the raised edge of a trolley jack cup, just visible to the left of the axle stand......

Straightened out and cleaned up...

And all back into shape. Had to do this with at least 4 different points on this sill....

More of the same thing.....you get the idea

Slapped a bit more Deox gel on the drivers side rail that runs next to the exhaust tunnel on the chassis and decided at this point, being cold and wet, as well as having a hangover from wearing the cider visor a little too much last night, that it wasn't much fun and a cold beer in a hot shower sounded far more appealing. So thats what i did!

Posted 8th Mar 2015 at 22:29
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #106
About time for an update. Been working on this every night when I get home from work for a couple of hours. Get home about 17:30. I live on a pretty quiet estate with a lot of young children, including my daughter and grand daughter so working any later, unless its a quiet job, just isn't happening.

So, its taken many hours of ploughing through horrid underseal, stone chip, seam sealant but the underside of the chassis is now pretty much done. I've bare metalled the lot and have already started on the zinc primer as I've gone to make sure i don't get any more surface rust. Its been an awful job and, looking back, I'm not sure if I'd do it again.... The only part left is the front of the exhaust tunnel where I'm yet to remove the forward heat shield as I think the cat needs to come off (and possibly drop the subframe) and the cxat bolts are a nasty, rusty affair that don't want to play right now. But anyhow...

So, the chassis and some pics, as that's what we are all here for..... This is the front passenger side, the last real bit i had to do. The floorpan is now much flatter here as I've mostly cured it of the 'blind trolley jacker' disease it had contracted. A large rubber mallet to the inside of the passenger side front foot well worked wonders. Still a little to do but its much better.

I'm toying with the idea of drilling the spot welds in the bracket you can see and removing it and getting it back into shape and then have it rewelded. Only 5 or 6 spot welds per bracket. Very difficult to try and reshape on the car as you need to come from the side that's against the chassis.....

More pics.........

Chassis leg is plenty pitted but wire brushed off pretty much all the surface rust. It still got a good old layer of deox gel which I will remove tomorrow.

Hole in the cross member. Again, its been jacked here (FFS! grrrrrr!!) and the cross member is pushed in. Not sure if the hole has been made on purpose or what. Edges are very clean, almost looks like a section has cracked out. Couple of other little pin holes so might have it looked at when it goes in for the sill work.

Clean....

I ended up having to jack the car up again so I could move the axle stands to get to the bits behind them. Again, fun.......not.

I bought a drill wire brush set from Screwfix this afternoon as the one I had for my drill was worn out and I had some tight spots to get into which the grinder brushes were too big for. £3.99 for a set of 3, surprisingly good actually. It was these....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drill-carbon-steel-wire-brush-set-3pc/13734

Going back for another set tomorrow as I hammered them this afternoon and have worn down the wire wheel!!

Enabled me to get into some tight spots on the rear sill.....

So that was that. Just need to pick up some panel wipes tomorrow on my way home and I can wipe down and get it primed. I also noticed a few spot of the zinc primer where is had gone white. On inspection, I could remove the primer with a finger nail. This is no fault of the Electrox primer, its where I hadn't prepped the surface properly. Mainly a very few small corners where id missed surface rust or underseal....All bits taken back to bare metal, surface prepped properly and read for more primer tomorrow. Need to get some Xylene thinners too as I want to thin down some of the primer and do all the chassis joints, so it gets as far inside as I can get it. The Electrox is pretty thick out of the tin so thinning it should allow it to run into the joints better. I'll do the same with the Epoxy mastic but I'll do it before I start painting properly. Again, the more I can get into the cleaned seams the better.

I then moved back onto the bump stop area. There are two rectangular sections either inside of the boot floor. Right in line to pick up all the crap from the road wheels. Again, covered in under seal, which, when removed revealed this....

Yuk. More chuffing rust. Stuck a cup wheel on the grinder as that had more access and it did improve a bit....

Still work to do though.

So that's where I am at the moment. If I can get the cat/heat shield off, I aim to have the whole chassis in primer by Sunday night. Then it will be time to stick the rear beam back on for now and drag it off somewhere to have the sill repaired. Once that's done, I'll start thinking about the Epoxy mastic.....

Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 00:28
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
The hole in the cross member is a drain hole and meant to be there so if you get the pin holes repaired or the section replaced remember to put it back.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 06:35
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
A lot of work Yes Wonder if there are any easier ways of doing it that dont cost a fortune?

Just Drive It
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 08:34
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #109
I would love to be able tongive my 6 this sort of treatment but my problem is that i have no clue what im doing when it comes to bodywork. Im a mechanic by trade so i would undertake pretty much anything mechanical that would ever need doing but bodywork for me is an art form. Im that crap at it i wouldnt even like to change over the dented panels on my car as i would be worried i wouldnt get the gaps right etc. Top work here though! Really tip of the hat to you
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 08:46
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #110
Tom,

Whilst I don't think there is a cheap way (other than doing it yourself as I, Coskev, Mik etc have done), having it blasted might be the way to go. I wouldn't do this again I don't think, knowing what I know now. Perhaps on a car without all the underseal, yes but the time and physical effort involved is a big consideration. My shoulders and back are shot at the moment. It is indeed a lot of work.

Mossy, Im no body work expert either......unless it's the ladies Big grin

To be honest, I looked at what other people on here did, used a couple of paint/prep related subforums on Detailing world and just got on with it. Bare metal is the best surface to start from, it's then just figuring out the best protection to use for what you are trying to achieve.

Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 11:33
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
Plastic surgeon? Laugh my ass off

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 12:08
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #112
lol, no but very good!!!

Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 12:42
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #113
So today was about as much fun as working on an old French car, outside on a cold windy March day.........oh, hang on....

So today wasn't the greatest day. High hopes of achieving lots, countered by the actual doing of not a huge amount. Bugger.

So job number one was pick up the Xylene I needed to thin down the Electrox so I could go over all the chassis seams and get it to flow into them as much as possible. Toolstatioin stock it, one in Nuneaton, off I went.

Job number two was get the Mothers day present for the wife from the daughter. Done on route home. Thirsty work that lot, had to stop for a brew...

First job on the car was to remove the Deox gel I'd put on on Thursday! Came off easily though and did its usual great job. Next job was to remove the cat. Now i knew getting the cat off was going to be an ar$e. And it was. It needed to come off, I thought, so i could remove the final heatshield and finish the underside of the chassis. I'd tried undoing the nuts, only to have the whole nuts/bolt assembly turn. Tried to get a spanner on the top nut. I'd have done better trying to get Leicester City to win a game.....no room for the grinder, couldn't find the cutting bit for my dremel, b0llocks to doing it with a hack saw blade so I got out the metal drill bits and eventually got the nuts off. Hurrah. Ben wins. Then promptly looses by realising the subframe needs dropping to get the heat shield off. I very nearly called it a day at that point.

Ummmed and arrred for a bit, had another cup of tea and some lunch, then decided I better see if I could undo all the subframe bolts. Given the propensity of things on this car to shear, I wasnt particularly hopeful.... As it went, I got all of them undone except one. The front mount 18mm bolt in the drivers side front wheel arch didn't want to play. Gave it as much as I dare, still nowt. The 2 13mm bolts holding the subframe mount to the chassis however, did, so thats a result. I shall just undo those to get it off the car i hope, cant remember if the big bolt that wont undo is threaded into the chassis leg as well....It was tea time again.

Got busy then mixing up a batch of thinned down Electrox and went over every chassis seam and a few other bits I wasn't happy with and had bare metalled again. Nasty horrid job as once thinned, it runs down the brush, your arm etc. Flowed well into the seams though. Painted up all the bits I finished the other night too, just to get some protection on it. Xylene must dehydrate you as I had to have another cup of tea.

Wondering what else I could do, I remembered the nasty box sections by the bump stops, and the sheared bolt when I removed the bump stop cup. A selection of wire brushes on the drill, and a little judicious screwdriver wielding for the tight corners and one side is now ready for deoxing....

Having also bought some new metal drill bits, I fancied my chances with the sheared bump stop cup bolt. Working up through the sizes, I managed to drill it out enough that I could get the remnants out. I *think* I might be able to get away without having to retap a size bigger as well.....quite pleased with that.

So tonight, being March 14th, will consist of Chill Con Carne for dinner, (to be fair, I had a 48oz steak last the local pub last night), followed by lots of cider, and reading up on how to remove the front subframe whilst the wife sleeps in the chair.......awesome.

Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 20:23
Nose

Senior User

Post #114

"Whilst I don't think there is a cheap way (other than doing it yourself as I, Coskev, Mik etc have done), having it blasted might be the way to go."

Looking into this myself now to be honest. Did the rear of the car (including taking the fuel tank out) by hand and as you say nasty horribl job that took ages. There are are couple of companies not to far from me who do Soda blasting. Apparently this still gets rid of everything, but is a lot easier on the metal, and also leaves a surface covering that will keep rust ay bay for a few days. I still need to do the floor and engine bay, so once i get prices we will be taking out engine/gear box and all front suspension and eveything in the engine bay. There's a place in Bilston (West Mids) that blasted an amphicar in Wheeler Dealers who i will call as they're not far from my painters. Great work by the way Thumbs up

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 21:03
99rallye

Regular

Post #115
Really enjoying this build. I didn't realise you were in Leicestershire. My Rallye lives at my parents place near Melton Mowbray, I'd love to come and have a look at yours in the flesh sometime.
Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 21:11
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #116
Thanks guys. Comments much appreciated.

Nose, yeah, soda blasting or dry ice blasting is supposed to be pretty good. No one round me that does a mobile service that I could find.

99rallye, come have a look when ever bud. More than welcome

Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 22:05
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
gpm wrote:

Whilst I don't think there is a cheap way (other than doing it yourself as I, Coskev, Mik etc have done), having it blasted might be the way to go. I wouldn't do this again I don't think, knowing what I know now. Perhaps on a car without all the underseal, yes but the time and physical effort involved is a big consideration. My shoulders and back are shot at the moment. It is indeed a lot of work.

Agreed, I don't think I would do it again either, knowing how much work is involved. Not without a hoist anyway. Or, as I once discussed with Coskev, taking the engine, fuel tank, suspension off, putting it on a spit and blasting it using a mobile service. But now I'm on top of it I'll finish it off, and I'm not selling the car after all that!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 13:17
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #118
Mik, I looked at the spit/rotisserie idea as well. Only issue is how high you have to lift it to get it on there. Can imagine it would be very, very easy to work on after that.

I know what you mean. I'm planning on only doing this the once. Do it right and it won't take much at all to maintain. And, unless the roof over my head is under threat, I'll never sell it either!!

Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 13:25
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #119
(To the tune of it stared with a kiss)

"It started with a brew"............

In keeping with tradition, the day started with a cuppa. To quote Arthur Wing Pinero, “While there is tea, there is hope." With those inspirational words echoing through my head, out I went.

Cold. Very cold. Too damn cold. Today was a 2 jacket day. And a hat day. I don't wear hats. Unless I'm robbing banks or its cold. It was cold, and windy. A combination as friendly as Charles Bronson out for a walk with his pet Lion.....

I digress. I'm still not fully educated as to how to remove the subframe. I've looked at lowering it enough to give the clearance needed to remove the heat shield. I still need to disconnect the steering column to drop the subframe just a bit. Means undoing a pinch bolt and them column should just slide out. A good soaking in WD40 was as far as I got with that particular job today. Might need the gear linkage undoing as well. I'll attempt that later this week once I've read a bit more on the ins and outs. This is the bolt....

I found the rest of the bolt I drilled out too. Impressed with the accuracy of my drilling but you can see from the thread how rusted up it was. Not surprised it sheared.

Moved onto the bits by the bump stops that did yesterday. First thing this morning, I deox gelled the area I'd cleaned up. After an hour and a half (and another cup of tea), I went back and cleaned off the gel. It had removed most of the rust but I noticed there's were a few bits of underseal in corners I'd missed and not noticed. Teach me to work in the dark...anyhow, removed the underseal and there was some more surface rust. Move on.

So I got busy with the wire brush in the drill. Section at the very back of the chassis where the bumper sits had some peeling paint. Not any more. Was time for lunch and another brew at this point....

Next, it was time for the passenger skirt to come off.

Until I stick the rear beam back on and the wheels, I can't do the drivers side as the car is too tight up against the side of the house to open the door wide enough to get to the two rivets nearest the A pillar. The rivets are a complete pain as I'd get half way through drilling them out and they started rotating. A smaller drill bit down the middle, followed by a bigger one sorted it but they are a proper pain. Pretty clean underneath with no real bits of rust other than where the paint was peeling where it had been lifted in the wrong place on the sill. It also gave me better access to another mashed section of sill. Managed to get it opened out, cleaned up and reshaped ok.

Bare metalled and I mixed up another batch of thinned down Electrox and got busy painting the sill and the bit at the back I'd done. Also redid a few bits I did yesterday as I'd missed a couple of bits.

Apologies for the rubbish pics, don't know what's up with my phone.....

Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 20:47
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
Some serious work going into this. Its a nightmare working on cars like this on axle stands! I know your pain had to dona few bits and bobs under a mates car last week.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 22:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #121
you've got something on the lens I reckon, seen similar with my own phone, needed a proper clean.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 22:20
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #122
Think of it as a Coskev Mk2 Eddy. Yes, a lot of work so far. A lot more to do yet. Have started compiling a parts list. Peugeot gonna love me.....few trim bits missing too and will be resprayed completely eventually. Will need a new bonnet, passenger door, passenger wing......

It really is a pain trying to work under it. Boot end isn't too bad. Front end is awful. Have to lie flat on my back, I can't turn over or lie on my side (muly bloody shoulders are about 3ft across, I hate being big sometimes). Trolley Jack isn't very big at all. Had to use two scrap blocks from a pallet at work with it just to get it up to where it is. Still got two holes to go on the stands but haven't the balls to Jack it any higher!!!

Posted 15th Mar 2015 at 22:25
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #123
Not done much this week. Monday late finish and dinner at my parents. Tuesday is 5 a side.

Went out to do some tonight. The deox gel had been on 48 hours. Had used cling film as recommended. Bilt Hamber say leave it on for up to 48 hours. Its just too long. 18 hours Max does the same job but after 48 hours, its a proper pain to remove. Plenty of water and scrubbing gets it off, eventually. So, the sections at the edge of the boot floor/chassis I've been working on now look like this.

Bit better than it was before. Quick wipemdown with thinners and that's good to prime.

This the back end of the chassis I did the other day.

I also tried to get the broken bumper mount bolt out of the drivers side bracket as I had access to the top of it. Heat and mole grips didn't shift it. Guess that's getting drilled out. Flatted off a bit of the primer at the back of the chassis as an experiment. Gonna epoxy mastic that tomorrow, see how it comes out.

I'm in to work at 04:30 tomorrow but that means I'll be done for 12:30 so I'll hopefully have a full afternoon at it.

Posted 18th Mar 2015 at 21:29
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #124
So, today was all about the early start. I thought there was only one 4 o'clock in the day, and its normally feet up with a brew time. Turns out there is two of them, and the other one is a god awful abomination of a time....

Anyhow, meant I strolled out of work at 12:30...

Got home, hours snooze and I was good to go. So the first job was to prime the bare section in finished derusting yesterday. Easy enough and done and looking sexy, well, as sexy as a chassis gets...

Buoyed by that, I attacked the sheared bumper mounting bolt. I tried getting the mole grips on it the other day but it wasn't having any of it.

A 5mm metal drill bit had a field day....

Thread in the hole seems OK too. Will chase through with a tap anyway.

Then I moved onto the other side box section of the chassis. This was the worse of the two for rust......

These bits are so awkward to do due to the lack of access for anything other than a drill mounted wire brush. Even then, access is very tight. Some chunks of rust that were best removed with a screwdriver

Perseverance and several more teas and I'd got it to this stage....

That's had a damn good coat of deox gel slapped all over it.

At this point, I was too cold to do any more so came in for a hot shower. No beer, as its Thursday night and was only 5pm....!!!

Carl (mech repairs) coming over at some point to have a look at the sill too, see what needs doing

Posted 19th Mar 2015 at 19:13
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #125
For those awaiting an update, please don't be too disappointed........ I've done very little!

Saturday I was helping a mate out at his tyre garage from 9 until 2. Helped him out and got me some pennies. Been a while since I've done any manual labour (other than this project!!) and I'll be honest, I was knackered. Really enjoyed it, but pooped!!!! So came home, after calling in at my olds on the way for a brew, to a hot shower and cold cider. Then did nothing other than cook Mexican (again!) for dinner. Cooks, chilli beef nachos and chicken chimichangas!!!!

Today was a different matter, although instill didn't get much done, on the 306 at least. On Thursday, I'd slapped a load of deox gel on. That night, whilst in bed, I remembered I'd forgotten the cling film......shoot.

I didn't get back to it until today. As expected, it was a proper, proper pain to remove. Once removed, I could see there were a few more rusty bits to remove....wire brushed again and slapped some more deox gel on. Then it was lunch and tea time......

At this point, there wasn't much else I could do, so I mowed the lawns. I then decided it was such a nice day, the buggy needed to wake from its winter hibernation, so it did. Dragged it (literally) out of the garage (once id removed all the 306 bits chucked on top of it...) as the front tyres were bout flat. Good job there is no weight in the front of the buggy. Got it out, jacked it up, discovered I'd cross threaded a new wheel nut I put on last year and knackered that and the stud... Great. Took the wheels down to the local petrol station, blew them up and stuck them back on. Time to wake up the engine. Took a few pumps of the throttle to get fuel into the float bowls as I'd disconnected the fuel supply and run it out of fuel effectively before putting it away for the winter as I don't want this modern ethanol fuel sitting in the lines and rotting them, even though I've used R9 Codan fuel hose. Fired into life nicely.

[url]https://youtu.be/mf12dCsUtGw[/url]

Ran that up, got it warm, rearranged the garage so I'd room properly to store all them306 bits, then went back to get the deox gel of the 306.

Other than prime that clean section, there isn't much more I can do now until I get the sill section looked at and decide what we are going to do about that.

Posted 22nd Mar 2015 at 20:58

Pages (17): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last