displaying posts 126 to 150 of 164

Pages (7): first .. 5 [6] 7

Author Subject: Newbie 306Gti-6 Owner (soon)
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #126
Put a caliper on one of the torsion bars.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 18th Nov 2014 at 09:06
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #127
Took Nikki (hmmm still not sure if it's a good name! i prefer reference names eg I have batmobie and big truck) to work and back today. Gearbox is soooooo much better from cold. But still has a little trouble on occasion coming down to 2nd. But much better so i'm happy with that. And as per other thread i'll put some more oil in tomorrow if i get a chance so that it's coming out the level check hole..

Aside: the engine is running nicely despite me doing my own spark plug change. So all good. Today was a good day in Glasgow to have a go at the AC, but alas work got in the way. But i'm now happy to use as my DD! Smile Does take a wee while to warm up to 80* so i don't much of a chance to blat unless i take the long way home Wink

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 18th Nov 2014 at 17:59
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #128
So today i had a look at the top engine mount (i stumbled across the issue some people were having while reading the FAQ's last night). And here is mine. Doesn't look like much will fit in there?

MisterGTR has attached the following image:

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 19th Nov 2014 at 18:29
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #129
In other news today i did a bodge on the AC pipes and put 2 jubilee clips (can't remember both exact sizes but one was around 13-20mm on the AC pipe from the AC pump the other bigger to get over the spring clip) and then 2 cable ties to hold them together. Was a bit fiddly with my clumsy hands and sore back. But eventually it turned out like this....

Posted 19th Nov 2014 at 18:33
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #130
And then it was back to KwikFit like an expectant father to see what would happen.............

And here is the result!

Posted 19th Nov 2014 at 18:35
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #131
happy days! good work!

I stripped mine out and fitted buckets - at 6' 3" i can sit perfectly comfortably, even with a helmet on
Posted 19th Nov 2014 at 21:58
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #132
Chr1sch wrote:
happy days! good work!

I stripped mine out and fitted buckets - at 6' 3" i can sit perfectly comfortably, even with a helmet on

Yeah I seem to be going against the grain by getting the AC working! LOL

Have you got dished steering wheel?

Posted 19th Nov 2014 at 22:03
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #133
Been a while since i drove <no name still> but took her to work this morning

Started first time. Gave her/him/it some V Power and added a new toy for charging my phone. Fits nicely. The only downside is the cigarette light is on all the time and the cable i have sticks out a little bit too far. But it's charging at around 1A (need to check this on a longer run). So all good.

Posted 16th Dec 2014 at 12:42
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #134
These arrived straight from Italy.

Hopefully get the wheels on tomorrow to see how they look.

Will then get them refurbished

Posted 17th Dec 2014 at 14:48
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #135
Well the new head unit is in.

Sounds brilliant without any set up through stock speakers.

Also topped up the gearbox oil.

And picked up locking nuts so wheels should go in tomorrow.

Posted 27th Dec 2014 at 14:04
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #136
Finally the wheels are on. Not had chance to drive as afternoon beers call. But liking the look. Even with copperslip everywhere!!

Posted 24th Jan 2015 at 14:41
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #137
Took the car for a drive today and i need new tyres sooner rather than later as the Fate O (my god are you trying to kill me) tyres on the front have so little grip. They must put WD40 in the compound!
I put the Michelin Primacy's on the back thinking i'd rather have understeer than lose the back end without the power going their to correct any drift. And having see how bad these tyres are, i'm glad i did!". So new tyres required. I'm guessing PS3's are the choice of tyres for the 6. So will need to price them up. I guess i'll get the wheels refurbed at the same time.

Also thanks to Buzz (Andy) for telling me on another thread that the gearbox oil won't come out the overflow until it's been driven a bit. Not that's it's made any noticeable difference to the gear change (2nd still sticky on occasion) but i guess it's not a good thing to run with too much oil in the box.

Did the Auto EQ on the head unit along with setting up the TimeAlignment to Front and the sound is much better in the car and that's even with crappy stock speakers with one of them sounding a bit worse for wear.

I now have Ash's steering rack and track rod ends as well as calibra's drop links. So these will have to go on soon as the weather dries and warms up. Wee bit apprehensive as it's not as if i can drive the car anywhere to get it sorted if i fek it up!

Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:34
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #138
So the car is still at the audio place.

The boot has been stripped and will be relined. It was soaking wet. Just need to find a photo to send to them to show where the rear beam bolts come through. i.e what access points should be left clear of the sound deadening etc.

The upper doors doors are getting recovered in alcantara as they are looking tired. I decided on this because the stock doors speakers are angled into the foot well, so the audio guys are going to move the mid position back a little to avoid this, meaning the door pocket will need modifying and rebuilt, so they are taking them apart anyway. As always nothing is straight forward.

The sub and amp will now go in the boot to avoid any compromises in the cabin. I would like to take passengers in relative comfort.

While there they had to use the car for a quick journey. Then have it recovered from his mum's as there was an issue with the car not starting. One of the fabricators had a 205 and apparently was that the fuel had cut off and the red button behind the battery box needed to be pressed (that's something i didn't know about). But glad it was nothing serious.

The only other issue is that there is clunking when turning the steering wheel. When stationary. I hadn't noticed this before when i was driving. Hopefully when i get around to changing the front strut and springs that fixes that problem. I'm wondering whether the above and this are related. I.e the jolt of hitting a pothole broke a spring and caused full cut off.

Meanwhile i have 2 nails in 2 tyres on my daily driver both of which have 7mm and are too close to the edge to repairs! Ahh the joys.

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 11:44
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #139
Soaking wet boot is often rear lights leaking.
Alcantara door cars will be nice! Of course...the ph.1 has them as standard... Big grin

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 12:11
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #140
RetroPug wrote:
Soaking wet boot is often rear lights leaking.
Alcantara door cars will be nice! Of course...the ph.1 has them as standard... Big grin

Thanks Luke. I'll check that when i get the car back.

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 12:15
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #141
Making progress, i admire the commitment!

Indeed my left rear light was full of water and poured into the car every time i braked, couple of subtle holes in the bottoms of the lenses soon sorted it...

Looking forward to seeing it when its a tad lower Wink
Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 13:14
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #142
Chr1sch wrote:
Making progress, i admire the commitment!

Indeed my left rear light was full of water and poured into the car every time i braked, couple of subtle holes in the bottoms of the lenses soon sorted it...

Looking forward to seeing it when its a tad lower Wink

Just lack the time, skills and ability Wink But if temp ever gets to double figures and it stops snowing....i'l give it it a go.

I've still to have a go at doing black masks and have the black gasket stuff, so if i manage them. I guess i could have have a look at the rears..even if just sealing them up. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Yeah i want it lower, but i have set myself the goal of doing as much mechanical stuff as possible. Otherwise i'd just buy Jammapics car!!

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 13:34
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #143
The Clunking sounds like a top mount

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 17:13
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #144
buzzbrightyear wrote:

Ahhh....(off to google/search on here how to change etc!)

Thank you for that! Thumbs up

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 17:17
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #145
buzzbrightyear wrote:

Cheers

SKF - Top Mounting kit ordered from ECP

Posted 4th Mar 2015 at 18:25
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #146
Okay so the car is back

New top mounts. B12 kit. Drop links. The rear beam is seized so that needs to be replaced. This is what it looks like now.

Posted 1st Aug 2015 at 19:15
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #147
Today i fitted the OMP boss and steering wheel i bought what seems like years ago.

Just a note it's T20 for the lower 3 screws on the steering wheel housing and T27 for the 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel. Stupidly for me i didn't bother disconnecting the battery but i'm remarkably still here in once piece. T50 for the steering wheel bolt.

You'll need torx 'allen' keys or a thin screwdrivers as the T20 and T27 are recessed in narrowish channels and all the bit sets were too thick.

Off out soon so not had a chance to really give a proper drive and the car is still making a banging noise at the front when i go over speed bumps so i'm not totally confident with it at the moment....but loving the better driving position. I could still do with another 2 inches, but at least i can still reach the indicator and stereo controls.

Still think i'll go with the 2.4 turns steering rack over the 3.6 standard. I realise it's a contentious issue, but i'm used to quite a quick rack in the fast datsun, so will give it ago, plus i'm going to get it fitted for free! Not totally happy with that in terms of the built not bought ethos...but i'm sure i will have plenty of time to fettle with it down the line. (justify much!).

This is what my driving position looks like

Posted 1st Aug 2015 at 19:23
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #148
Oh btw the in typical me fashion when i put the boss on i thought the "Top" marking would be centre top and then when i tightened everything up i realised the "Top" marking isn't the top. The hole next to it should be centre top and then the boss wouldn't come off! So that was 20 mins of swearing! I eventually had to put the wheel on and use that to pull the boss off. But i got it all lined up eventually.

Then i spent about 20mins trying to fix this gap in the top and bottom steering casing!! Seriously...how do i make such simple jobs so time consuming! Big grin The upside is i didn't break anything or put massive scratches on anything. That's really a first! And i got it sorted - no idea how. I just keep taking it apart and putting it back together and it fit. Bit like when i spent 2 days trying to get my radiator in without removing the slam panel. Was about it give up and it just went inDunno Dunno

Rear been will get ordered from imaxles next week and then we can get back to normal service of comedy LOL

Posted 1st Aug 2015 at 19:29
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #149
Glad to see you're back to tinkering! Smile

If you want to minimise the number of jobs you do while swapping beams in order to minimise the number of things you can f**k up (as I did!) it is possible to swap beams without disconnecting the calipers from the brake lines. I did then end up re-making the hard lines to the calipers anyway with new pipe but at the time I didn't want to have to go through undoing unions etc. so removed the beam with calipers still plumbed in.

It takes a bit of head scratching and probably some slight bending of the hard lines to the calipers but it can be done.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 2nd Aug 2015 at 14:42
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #150
RetroPug wrote:
Glad to see you're back to tinkering! Smile

If you want to minimise the number of jobs you do while swapping beams in order to minimise the number of things you can f**k up (as I did!) it is possible to swap beams without disconnecting the calipers from the brake lines. I did then end up re-making the hard lines to the calipers anyway with new pipe but at the time I didn't want to have to go through undoing unions etc. so removed the beam with calipers still plumbed in.

It takes a bit of head scratching and probably some slight bending of the hard lines to the calipers but it can be done.

Cheers Luke will have a look at doing that. I have braided lines to go on but putting off that job as the chances of me releasing the bleed nipples is pretty much zero.

Where did you get your beam?

Posted 2nd Aug 2015 at 20:08

Pages (7): first .. 5 [6] 7