displaying posts 101 to 125 of 164

Pages (7): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last

Author Subject: Newbie 306Gti-6 Owner (soon)
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
MisterGTR wrote:
scotzman wrote:
Buy a new one, cheap enough from Peugeot.

Cheers I wasn't sure if the pug cap had ears too. I can't remember what it looked like.

Do you have the spring clips that are attached to the slam panel seated correctly on the rad to keep it spaced out correctly.
PS, the pug cap does have ears.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 19th Oct 2014 at 15:59
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #102
scotzman wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:
scotzman wrote:
Buy a new one, cheap enough from Peugeot.

Cheers I wasn't sure if the pug cap had ears too. I can't remember what it looked like.

Do you have the spring clips that are attached to the slam panel seated correctly on the rad to keep it spaced out correctly.
PS, the pug cap does have ears.

Yeah, with the Nissens rad when the clips are seated property the cap won't turn because of fouling the slam panel.

So i did what Retropug suggested and actually removed the spring clips from the radiator and pulled it out out a bit and tightened up the cap and then put it back. So that's all good.

Just that stupid air con pipe not holding together! Need to find a clip to hold it all together.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 19th Oct 2014 at 16:05
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
MisterGTR wrote:
Car is alive!! Not sure where to run the wee pipe from the rad cap. But big thanks to Luke for his help. His suggestion to unclip the radiator and pull it forward, worked a treat.

Now sitting in kwik fit waiting to see if the air con takes a charge. More nervous than I was waiting for exam results!!

No problem. Shove first, work out whether or not it was a good idea later. LOL

If you mean the little bit of what is essentially little rubber aquatic tubing from just below the rad cap it is just an overflow. If you look behind the headlight nearish to wherthere should be a hole in the chassis to stick it through so it just vents excess pressure and dribbles excess coolant away down there rather than spitting it at engine bits.

You can see the hole on the flat, horizontal section of the chassis leg, the larger one in front of the round hole where the washer bottle filler neck is screwed into.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 21st Oct 2014 at 18:58
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #104
Thanks Luke

I look at that picture and wonder what all the fuss was when it came to me doing some simple tasks Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 23rd Oct 2014 at 13:48
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
I'm hoping to do a bit of a strip-down on mine someday and I will definitely ask a million stupid questions and cock loads of stuff up until I get it right!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 23rd Oct 2014 at 17:47
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #106
So as per my Graham Harper thread, thanks to the guys there, i've been using my 6 (still no nickname - although Nikki is a contender) for the past few days a lot. Taking away the trepedation of the cambelt popping off has meant i'm using it all the time! Loving the car. It's still not sharp as it should be as i think PAS is on it's way out and there is a bit of play upfront. But the sound of blatting around in 2nd,3rd and 4th is intoxicating. Had a wee backroad run home just now and i was trying to induce understeer to see how it felt. But it clung on round a few 2nd gear corners at 50mph. The fat datsun had better watch out. Can't imagine how good a properly sorted 6 is to drive!

Starting to accumulate some bits for the car. Braided hoses and 21mm TBs. But these are likely to sit in the garage for a few months as it's pretty chilly up here and i don't want to start something i can't finish as i'm loving driving the car. Even putting CD's in the changer and listening to them start to finish is a pleasure.

Must fit a Xsara VTS steerting rack at some point and sort out the headlights too (they look yellow).

Got some jubilee clips and some tie-wraps to have a go at the AC once again. And do those spark plugs and gearbox oil change. I'm hoping that cures the when cold crunchy changes...to 2nd especially. If not, expect my usual stupidity with regards to how linkages work! Smile

Still not seen opened up the ultraleggera's nevermind putting them on. Must get round to doing that too at some point - after i've bought some locking nuts and a plastic sleeve so i don't damage them putting them on!

Feel like taking her for another blat - that's a good feeling Smile

Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 00:28
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
That's just how I felt when I took mine for its first proper thrash! Great fun isn't it!
Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 09:15
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #108
Chr1sch wrote:
That's just how I felt when I took mine for its first proper thrash! Great fun isn't it!

Sounds silly but I'm surprised by how fast it is. Considering the competition it has on my drive. And the handling.

It's not perfect of course as you guys (well the taller ones) will find seating position a bit awkward and the slow rack isn't ideal. But for a 16 year old which hasn't had much money thrown at it. It's brilliant.

Once I get a similar set up to you........... Smile

Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 10:56
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #109
A properly sorted 6 is still fantastic to drive, even though at 6'4" I find the seating position not ideal as you say.

i put a Nissens rad in and the cap didn't foul the slam panel so not sure why it did for you? Maybe a different model of Nissens rad? Or is it sitting lower for some reason?

I removed the bumper and slam panel to do rust removal and painting so it was easier to get rad in. Only problem I had was the new rad spring clips wouldn't secure to the slam panel with the allegedly correct self-tappers (hole too big or screws too small) so I ended up using nut and bolts to secure them.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 18:08
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #110
mik wrote:
A properly sorted 6 is still fantastic to drive, even though at 6'4" I find the seating position not ideal as you say.

i put a Nissens rad in and the cap didn't foul the slam panel so not sure why it did for you? Maybe a different model of Nissens rad? Or is it sitting lower for some reason?

I removed the bumper and slam panel to do rust removal and painting so it was easier to get rad in. Only problem I had was the new rad spring clips wouldn't secure to the slam panel with the allegedly correct self-tappers (hole too big or screws too small) so I ended up using nut and bolts to secure them.

Maybe the little grommets at the bottom were removed in your fitting so the radiator sat lower?

Spark plugs changed today.

Gearbox oil next weekend - once i've sussed which method to use.

Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 20:45
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
No, I used new rubber grommets to replace the old manky ones, new spring clips etc. It was a doddle as I had the bumper off etc.

Your cap sits much closer to the slam panel than mine, forward by about an inch or so. You can see how mine sits in a pic here:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=136766&page=11

Gearbox oil fill using a funnel through the breather at the top after gently unscrewing the plastic nut. I forgot to get a new washer for the drain plug, but luckily the re-used old one didn't leak. I'll remember it for next time though. Pug says to fill with 2 litres.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:14
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #112
I did the gearbox oil today as per the service faq on here. Oil was black and smelly. I filled with 2.5 litres and still no oil came out of the side. Feels wee bit better (will need to assess from cold)but 2nd still a bit crunchy :s Will need to read up on how to fix that. Gut feel is to get a professional to do as feels beyond me to drop a gearbox never mind work on it.

As an aside. Aep in rutherglen did a litre of total bv for 5.40

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:41
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #113
mik wrote:
No, I used new rubber grommets to replace the old manky ones, new spring clips etc. It was a doddle as I had the bumper off etc.

Your cap sits much closer to the slam panel than mine, forward by about an inch or so. You can see how mine sits in a pic here:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=136766&page=11

Gearbox oil fill using a funnel through the breather at the top after gently unscrewing the plastic nut. I forgot to get a new washer for the drain plug, but luckily the re-used old one didn't leak. I'll remember it for next time though. Pug says to fill with 2 litres.

Thanks. I wonder if mine is sitting right :s

Will take a read through your thread when I get cleaned up. Thanks for link.

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:43
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #114
Oh and tried on the oz wheels I got. They don't sit right. :s It's like they need something in the back to help centre them. Will do a thread later.

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:45
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #115
Are they missing spigot rings?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:51
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
    have you got spigot rings? (i believe thats the term) my speedlines centre like a normal alloy?
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:52
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #117
    Probably missing spigot rings, fairly easy to get hold of on ebay. The 6 / Rallye is a fun car for the current price!

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:53
    MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #118
    Ah I've never heard of those! I was buying pepperpots the last time I was messing about with alloys!

Thank you. I take it I have to buy oz specific spigot rings. Will Google after clean up.

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 14:56
    Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #119
    MisterGTR wrote:
    So as per my Graham Harper thread, thanks to the guys there, i've been using my 6 (still no nickname - although Nikki is a contender) for the past few days a lot. Taking away the trepedation of the cambelt popping off has meant i'm using it all the time! Loving the car. It's still not sharp as it should be as i think PAS is on it's way out and there is a bit of play upfront. But the sound of blatting around in 2nd,3rd and 4th is intoxicating. Had a wee backroad run home just now and i was trying to induce understeer to see how it felt. But it clung on round a few 2nd gear corners at 50mph. The fat datsun had better watch out. Can't imagine how good a properly sorted 6 is to drive!

Starting to accumulate some bits for the car. Braided hoses and 21mm TBs. But these are likely to sit in the garage for a few months as it's pretty chilly up here and i don't want to start something i can't finish as i'm loving driving the car. Even putting CD's in the changer and listening to them start to finish is a pleasure.

Must fit a Xsara VTS steerting rack at some point and sort out the headlights too (they look yellow).

Got some jubilee clips and some tie-wraps to have a go at the AC once again. And do those spark plugs and gearbox oil change. I'm hoping that cures the when cold crunchy changes...to 2nd especially. If not, expect my usual stupidity with regards to how linkages work! Smile

Still not seen opened up the ultraleggera's nevermind putting them on. Must get round to doing that too at some point - after i've bought some locking nuts and a plastic sleeve so i don't damage them putting them on!

LOL, sounds like you've got the bug too Ian!!! Thumbs up

Its crazy just how much fun these things are! Having a 450hp Skyline is one thing but it just shows that fun can be had in much samller, less powerful cars such as these....

Just wish I could get to the bottom of my cutting out problem...it's starting to p**s me off somewhat Angry Angry

Good work with your's BTW!!!

TT
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 18:47
    MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #120
    Tarmac terror wrote:
    MisterGTR wrote:

LOL, sounds like you've got the bug too Ian!!! Thumbs up

Its crazy just how much fun these things are! Having a 450hp Skyline is one thing but it just shows that fun can be had in much samller, less powerful cars such as these....

Just wish I could get to the bottom of my cutting out problem...it's starting to p**s me off somewhat Angry Angry

Good work with your's BTW!!!

TT

Definitely. I'm spending so much of my time thinking about getting bits for the car and trying to sort her out! Sad that it is, i even took this afternoon off from work to do the gearbox oil as i didn't want to cause further damage by driving her around without doing it!

But i'm learning not to rush things. And basically if it's past 2, i don't start a job because the light fades fast at this time of year and my eyes ain't the best under LEDS. (hate this getting old lark!)

I really can't wait till next March April when the weather turns and i can get stuck into the suspension and all the bits (need to learn the names) up front that could do with replacing to get her back to 1998!

If the steering rack i'm after comes through, i think i'll just take that to Graham Harpers and get that done. I'm a bit wary of letting myself loose on such bits! And it's not as if i could drive it to them should it go wrong Big grin

Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 18:55
    Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #121
    As mine needed the front suspension repairing I just got a whole load of new bits (front wishbones, anti-roll bar links, track rods & ends, Bilstein B4's etc) from a combination of ECP/GSF/Ebay all for under £200 IIRC. Try doing that to a GTR and consider the required spend!!!!

The 21mm torsion bars make a big difference so look forward to that!. With these, the B4's up front and the fancy GAZ dampers up back I have to say that I'm MORE than happy with the way it handles!!

TT
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 19:18
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
    I think with the TRE, I would get genuine as I ate through the set of GMF ones I had, they were rubbish!

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
    306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 19:24
    jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #123
    For the record I didn't actually eat them. They wore down quickly.

Before anyone get's that in...

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
    306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
    VTS P1 Rack
    PR1.2 16"
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 19:24
    Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #124
    Pretty much all my arms/joints were Lemforder who supply OEM parts to BMW. I've taken many a Lemforder part off my X5 when renovating the suspension on that!!

I agree though, that there are some really crap, cheapo parts out there that need steering clear of!

TT
    Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 19:47
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #125
    I don't want to hijack the thread but how could I tell if I have a 21mm torsion bar?
    Posted 18th Nov 2014 at 08:16

Pages (7): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last