displaying posts 151 to 164 of 164

Pages (7): first .. 5 6 [7]

Author Subject: Newbie 306Gti-6 Owner (soon)
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #151
I bought it from pug_306 because he had one at the correct ride height.

I had braided lines to go on as well and my flexis were so perished that I just went ahead and did them anyway.

I've never had the bleed nippled problem occur on 3 306s. Soak them in penetrant oil every day or two for a couple of weeks leading up to the job and they should release just fine if you gradually apply more torque gently. I did the same with the unions but a few were made of cheese unfortunately so me and my friend ended up cutting hard lines and fitting new unions and lines in some cases.

Also, lifting the beam on and off the car can be done alone if you're not bad at bench-pressing. I half-supported it with a trolley-jack and went for it and got there in the end.

I'd offer to come and help you but you're a bit far away!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 2nd Aug 2015 at 21:35
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #152
Thanks Luke

30mm drop on beam?

My days of bench pressing are 5 years past. But I'll have a go Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 2nd Aug 2015 at 22:53
Puggitt

Regular

Post #153
Was having a little read, re: your cigarette lighter, do you know you can move the fuse to make it permanently powered or accessory powered? And I dropped a beam by supporting the ends arms with stands and a jack on the beam, undid the mounts and lowered the jack, pivoting it down on the axle stands. It does catch the threads on the mounts but some wiggling fixed that
Posted 3rd Aug 2015 at 11:30
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #154
Puggitt wrote:
Was having a little read, re: your cigarette lighter, do you know you can move the fuse to make it permanently powered or accessory powered? And I dropped a beam by supporting the ends arms with stands and a jack on the beam, undid the mounts and lowered the jack, pivoting it down on the axle stands. It does catch the threads on the mounts but some wiggling fixed that

with regards to the lighter - my car did have a second one running off the back of the standard one and that ran all the time - the earth was straight to the car for that one so i would assume its a switched earth as standard....bypass that and bingo...
Posted 3rd Aug 2015 at 18:42
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #155
Thanks guys. It's been so long I've forgotten what I was trying to achieve!! Smile I'll need to read back my own thread!

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 3rd Aug 2015 at 18:44
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #156
Puggitt wrote:

Which fuse would i move to change it from permanently powered?

Thanks for the info on the beam. I'm not wanting to do that job now...as i've driven it to and from work again today and i'm loathe to have it off the road as it's so much fun to drive now with the new dished wheel! But will get on to it....

Posted 3rd Aug 2015 at 20:41
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #157
Drive it loads and then do the jobs over winter. Smile

Posted 4th Aug 2015 at 12:15
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #158
RetroPug wrote:
Drive it loads and then do the jobs over winter. Smile

In Scotland we're coming in to winter soon Wink

I think the beam and the brakes (get them off give them a clean and paint and put on braided hoses) in September should be my goal! Smile

Posted 4th Aug 2015 at 12:38
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #159
Fair enough!

Does Scotland have a summer?

It's one of those things that just seemed to generate loads of other little jobs while I did it. Eg. braided hoses turned into then having to replace lots of sections of hard line.

Posted 5th Aug 2015 at 12:19
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #160
RetroPug wrote:
Fair enough!

Does Scotland have a summer?

It's one of those things that just seemed to generate loads of other little jobs while I did it. Eg. braided hoses turned into then having to replace lots of sections of hard line.

We haven't had summer this year. I remember the year i had my hand op and couldn't play golf was glorious. This year has been horrendous.

I run a charity event https://www.justgiving.com/lcci2015 (donations welcome Big grin) and i've moved it about (month-wise) and never been able to find a sunny day in 7 years!!

Thanks for the heads I think i'll hold off on the rear beam then as no doubt i'll break things and need to take my time putting back together... especially when it come to brakes! I'm hoping to take a week off in October...that might just be the ticket!

Posted 5th Aug 2015 at 12:34
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #161
It's all possible, just as always it's the little rusty or rounded off things that really slow progress down.
Soak absolutely everything in penetrant oil multiple times for weeks before hand, and be prepared to just give up and cut a whole union out and flare the ends of pipe and put new ones on and rejoin it if you have to.

I didn't know how to do hard brake lines before doing it, and it's really not difficult and actually very satisfying!

Posted 5th Aug 2015 at 18:34
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #162
Took the car out for a blat tonight and 2 things i noticed

1) The service spanner is coming up with -0 miles. It was on 6350 miles when i drove it last week. So i wonder if it's trying to tell me something in a Lassie/Flipper way except i don't speak "6". But is that normal? For it to reduce like that? Maybe a time based thing?

2) Maybe it was warning me of the clicking noise i hear when driving slowly (increases/decreases with speed). Seems to be coming from rear wheel, but hard to tell by sticking head out window while driving. Will need to get jacked up soon and take a look.

Posted 17th Aug 2015 at 22:32
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #163
MOT today.

Tester said the car was in great condition. No rust that he could detect. Been well looked after.

Failed on a brake line at the rear beam which i said they should just fix.
A few advisories (again brake lines and some suspension mount at the front - need to confirm which) but hopefully all stuff i'm going to sort anyway. Will chat to him in person when i get the car back to confirm the details. But glad there's nothing untoward going on. Smile

Oh yeh the exhaust is blowy but he reckons tightening the clamp will sort that.

Posted 1st Sep 2015 at 16:20
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #164
Well the 6 is back on the road. 4 advisories. 2 of which explain the clunking from the front suspension.

The tester said he was amazed at the condition of the car and that tracking the 6 would be a waste of a really good car. So I'm now thinking of getting a track car while I continue to improve and fix the 6.

MisterGTR has attached the following image:

Posted 5th Sep 2015 at 21:08

Pages (7): first .. 5 6 [7]