displaying posts 1 to 25 of 60

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: DS3000s for racing?
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Anyone used DS3000s for racing / know if they're any good? Trying to find pads for Renaultsport Brembos.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 17:08
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
What kind of racing exactly and what's the spec of the car? They're a good pad and as long as the rest of the setup is up to spec they'll be good for most disciplines. It's well worth thinking about sorting your cooling and sticking with a less aggressive/cooler pad if you can.
To be honest I run mintex m1155s as they're much cheaper, Martin (crf450) runs m1144s in his Impreza race car and even they're well on top of the job! All be it with 370mm disc'd Ap 6 pots.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 18:11
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
The setup is a fairly low spec race car. Gaz Golds all round, 23.5mm tbs, hybrid ARB etc.

My only concern was that the races are 40 mins so they need to handle fairly solid abuse. The braking performance with just standard Brembos pads is pretty good anyway, just wanted that little bit more punch.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 18:15
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Tin tops? Or track day trophy?

I'd imagine they'll be up to the job, I'd strongly suggest you have a chat with other competitors though Wink

Facebook
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 18:28
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Pagid do a huge range and are more Motorsport biased, Mintex F4R's are another compound to use, DS 3000's are lite/15 minute use really

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 18:33
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
allanallen wrote:
Tin tops? Or track day trophy?

I'd imagine they'll be up to the job, I'd strongly suggest you have a chat with other competitors though Wink

Trackday Trophy for the first season.

Hopefully Markylee will be along soon to offer some insider knowledge Thumbs up

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 19:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The 'E' spec of DS3000 would probably be a better bet for that kind of length, unless you fit some ducting to the calipers/discs.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 19:25
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
miles wrote:
Pagid do a huge range and are more Motorsport biased, Mintex F4R's are another compound to use, DS 3000's are lite/15 minute use really

That was my concern with the DS3000s. Will look in to the other options. Sourcing some for the Renaultsport Brembos has been a bit tricky.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 19:27
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
If you can get Ferodo pad/shapes easily for those calipers, then just stick some DS1.11 or UNO in there.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 21:58
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I use DS1.11, seem to do the job, used DS3000's too and they were good but haven't done a long stint on them. Pagid F4R are good too, not as aggressive and much kinder to discs... I use 1155's on the back. Pads can be hard to recommend as it often comes down to personal preference. A lot of people like Carbon Lorraines, but I couldn't stand em!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 22:14
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
You going for trackday trophy??
I looked into this for next season but seems dam expensive if a single driver and not that much race time either.

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 22:16
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Ideally around the £100 - £150 mark is where I'm looking. Agree that pads are a preference so think I'll go with some 1155s to start as they're only £100 at Camskill and find out from there. They should offer a noticeable increase over the standard Brembo pads anyway.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 23:06
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
rallyeash wrote:
You going for trackday trophy??
I looked into this for next season but seems dam expensive if a single driver and not that much race time either.

Yup, on track to make the first (and hopefully every) race in the season. CSCC TinTops is the same quali / race time but a little cheaper. Problem is generally the cars are better specced in Tin Tops so I wanted to cut my teeth on TDT then move over once I've got a bit more skill. With the level your car is at and the amount of trackdays you've done, I'd be looking at Tin Tops as a starting point probably. By the time of my first race I'll have only ever done 3 trackdays, all of which sharing with other people.

I'm also sharing the driving with my Dad, which reduces costs a little. I've got roughly £3k to spend between now and the first race, not including buying a van and new trailer.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Dec 2013 at 23:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Haven't looked at brembo sizes but for my 4 pots DS1.11 is about 60 quid for a set

Email me!
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 00:24
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
I personally think with a bit of ducting you'll be fine with m1155s or similar.
Have you not looked at the French trophy? Your car may well fit into next years production class and be fairly competitive. Not so sure it will be in TDT, there's a few quick cars in there

Facebook
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 06:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
phillipm wrote:
Haven't looked at brembo sizes but for my 4 pots DS1.11 is about 60 quid for a set

Cheers Phil, send an email to a distributor to get an idea of prices.

allanallen wrote:
I personally think with a bit of ducting you'll be fine with m1155s or similar.
Have you not looked at the French trophy? Your car may well fit into next years production class and be fairly competitive. Not so sure it will be in TDT, there's a few quick cars in there

French Trophy looks really interesting, something I might consider for the future as we'll be in the top category. I'm still planning TDT for now as I'm sharing the driving with my Dad to help cut costs. I know we won't be winning things but it'll be a good start.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 10:07
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Oh, is the car charged then?

Facebook
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 10:20
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
allanallen wrote:
Oh, is the car charged then?

Nope. I was looking at the classes for French Trophy and Class A is 1601cc - 2000cc Multivalve?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 10:26
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Oh eye see! Thought you meant the unlimited/specials class, class D or E I think. Yeah you'd be in class A, running against some very quick clios.
I think the new production class doesn't allow coilovers so maybe a no go for you thinking about it.

Facebook
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 11:05
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
allanallen wrote:
Oh eye see! Thought you meant the unlimited/specials class, class D or E I think. Yeah you'd be in class A, running against some very quick clios.
I think the new production class doesn't allow coilovers so maybe a no go for you thinking about it.

Yea, don't think I want to get rid of the coilovers now that I've used them! Spoken to a supplier about DS1.11s and he wanted ~£200 for a set...

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 11:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Does it just say no coilovers, or no aftermarket dampers at all?

Email me!
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 12:19
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #22

a] Permitted – Uprated /lowered springs are permitted. Non-adjustable uprated dampers are permitted providing they mount on the standard mounts. Anti-roll bars are free, but must not be adjustable by driver when seated. Uprated anti-roll bar links are permitted providing they are not adjustable in length and are not manufactured using rose joints. Adjustability of suspension geometry is limited to that provided by the vehicle manufacturers for standard suspension. Standard chassis bump stops must be fitted in the standard position. Polybush replacements are permitted.

b] Prohibited – Modifications to suspension pick up points, cockpit adjustable anti roll bars whilst driving is seated, offset or adjustable suspension strut mounts , adjustable spring platforms and hub carrier brackets, dampers with remote reservoirs, rose joints/rod ends in any suspension component. Any modification which restricts a wheel from reaching its fully dropped position.

Facebook
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 12:45
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
All been well, and with a bit of luck I'll be out in the French Trophy and/or cscc tintops depending on finances. There are a few quick clios in the French trophy, makes for good racing as they are all fairly evenly matched, definately need some more Peugeots in there though! The tin tops has a good selection also, several production btcc 306's and focus's and some quick hondas tend to make up the front of the grid.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 12:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
So, set you're coilovers where you're happy with them, then stick the insert into a Pug casing and have some springs made to match your old coilover settings then, sorted.

Email me!
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 12:56
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
pete_rallye wrote:
All been well, and with a bit of luck I'll be out in the French Trophy and/or cscc tintops depending on finances. There are a few quick clios in the French trophy, makes for good racing as they are all fairly evenly matched, definately need some more Peugeots in there though! The tin tops has a good selection also, several production btcc 306's and focus's and some quick hondas tend to make up the front of the grid.

Be good to have you around as well, more 306s on the scene! I want to get a little more experience before running in a seriously competitive category. I'm hoping that TDT will have a range of cars that I can race up against.

If it doesn't work out the experience will still be good and I can figure out where I want to go for the following season.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 3rd Dec 2013 at 13:12

Pages (3): [1] 2 3