Post #1
Just wondering what people are using to rust proof the underside of their cars

I know some people are using rust bullet but seems a bit expensive

Any cheaper alternative? Dunno
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 10:47
rikky 🦔

Post #2
bond a shower curtain under there and hope for the best

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 10:48
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #3
I think a shower curtain would probably just be in my price range Yes but unfortunately the bonding agent wont Thumbs down LOL
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 11:12
rikky 🦔

Post #4
"Coskev" did an ok job on his, might be worth seeing what he did

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=131873&page=13

it's "alright" i suppose, average at best Whistle

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 11:19
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #5
Ha ha ye read that the other night and decided to do mine (coskev = w**ker) LOL

Was just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to rust bullet i was thinking that maybe some of the marine rust proofing paint would be cheaper Dunno therefor could apply it thicker and coat the whole underside
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 11:24
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yes there is, Jotun jotamastic 87 is a sea boat 2k primer about £47 for 4,5 litres and enough for a few coats for underneath like how I did mine. Google the name and you will see a few places that sell it. Its an Epoxy primer BTW, used by industries and as you know its far cheaper then rust bullet. I've known a few people that have used rust bullet on clean rust for it to start coming back again. This Jotamastic 87, 87 means it has 87% solids and you can get it in lower solid or higher solid amounts, it can be painted onto top minor surface rust and will seal it in.

I've seen a car done with this primer ten years ago and it still looks like new, I roller it on and its given a very smooth stone chip look, which I prefer because underneath on all cars don't have it looking like the top half lol. You can spray this 2k stuff using a good facemask but tbh I found it much easier and get into every nook and crannies with a roller and brush. You won't need an air fed mask because it doesn't contain any of those usual 2k chemicals that can cause asthma, just a good face mask is enough.

Once I removed all the old crud on the floor etc and got clean steel using fine bristle drill brushes I used these pads http://www.trade1st.co.uk/paint-and-varnish-removing-pads. Obviously due to time you will find surface rust coming back so these pads using the rough one will easily remove it all and also provide a really good key for great adhesion. Great pads that don't lose its colour like washing up types and great for getting a key on paints bare steel etc.

For mine I found doing 2 very thin coats where it's still wet you can see the steel colour through it, i then applied two medium coats, many layers is the best way for the best protection. This stuff when dry is very tough yet still has flexibility, its used for sea boats so will cope with wet salty roads no problem. I even had drips of it on the dusty floor and it stuck on like glue.

I also use quality 2k thinners to thin it down a bit on the first coats, also just before it starts to go off after an hour I put some 2k thinners in and it helps stop it going thick due to it curing, so you don't waste any. You can only do this the once though.

If you get this stuff, fully read the instructions and ratios etc and you will be fine, the hardener is like syrup, very thick. I used some of them measuring syringes with a bigger drilled hole in it to help suck this syrup up and for measuring it precisely, especially for small amounts, I think iirc this 87 stuff has a ratio of 6-1.

http://www.paints4trade.com/jotun-jotamastic-87-4064-p.asp

http://www.jotun.com.cn/www/com/20020113.nsf?OpenDatabase&db=/www/com/20020115.nsf&v=10F2&e=uk&m=912&c=D6327528E2FCC43648257917002D0831

Thumbs up

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 13:38
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #7
Wow going to have to wait till after work to read that one LOL

Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 13:32
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
weld some zinc to your underside like they do on oil rigs and boats.

will slow the rust right down.

and before i get shouted at there's zinc in the original pug paint that helps prevent rust in exactly the same way

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 17:35
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #9
I think i prefer beez suggestion to be honest and its not because i cant weld honestWhistle

On a more serious note cheers for that beez looks like exactly what im looking for did you use it on the engine bay as well?
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 22:46
skoob

Post #10
Gonna be trying some por15 on mine. Meant to be pretty good at stopping rust and gets harder in damp conditions Wink
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 23:35
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #11
I could see a little competition coming on here

Ricky can try his shower curtain idea Thumbs up

Jimmy his zinc dinner plates Yes

Skoob the por

and me with the jotun
Posted 24th Sep 2013 at 23:42
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I did my engine bay before I found this Jotun epoxy primer, else I would have used it as the main primer, although for bodywork you would have to thin it down quite a bit and apply a few layers due to when its thinned down it can look a bit see through when wet.

As said like with all painting, many thin layers built up is the best way. If a stone hit the floor at 70 mph and it did chip a bit off, it will just take the last layer off not the whole lot down to the steel. Plus this primer comes in a very light grey almost white colour when dry, so if you did spot any chips (which is very unlikely) you will be able to see it well..

I have spent many hours and days researching what is the best and easiest primer to use for my main project and this Jotun stuff is the best I found. It hasn't had any bad comments or experiences at all, however that por15 rubbish has had loads, just another cheap americanised consumer product.

With the Jotun, you know its used by industries, sea boats and a like. Also if you did want the coskev look then once you have finished all the coats and all dry, you could spent lots of time flat sanding it down but its tough stuff, so up to you.

Just another note to add, this primer comes in two types of hardener. One is the summer type where 20c is the best temp to use it with, where every coat needs 24 hours before the next coat for its flash off period. Thinning it down also means it takes longer to flash off before the next coat.

The second type of hardener is the winter grade, its where it will work at around freezing temperatures but when used in the summer temps means its flash off period takes a few hours. I used the summer type even in winter but I have a heated garage and kept it at the 20c temps. Now with such a big job I like to use the one that takes 24-48 hours to flash off so a nice rest then apply another coat etc.

In the engine bay I did use high quality Bilt Hamber zinc primer which is great but needs a super clean surface else it just peels off. Bilt Hamber is a good place to buy weld through primers etc.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 02:00
Castor_Troy

Regular

Post #13
Sounds like you know your stuff will definitely be using the jotun stuff i kind of thought there would be a decent boat/offshore rust proofing primer at a reasonable price.

Thanks a lot beez
Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 08:28
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Mik on here has some pics of how crap por15 is, in his project thread.lasted less than 12 months before rust bubbled threw itThumbs down

I like Rust Bullet, easy to use, , looks good, hard as nailsThumbs up
In my tecnical test of 'how long does paint stick to your hands' LOL Rust Bullet far surpasses any other paint I've used!!! Takes over a week to remove from your hands scrubbing like f**k in the shower!Thumbs up

I have used a epoxy mastic product before that was supposed to be the bollox Roll eyes Epoxy Mastic121, and it was no where near as good as Rust Bullet No
Pain to mix, nowhere near the adhesion of Rust Bullet and peeled off in big flakes pretty easily if you lifted a edgeThumbs down

None of us are professional at this underbody job.

The main thing to do is remove the rust before applying your chosen paintSmile

rikky wrote:
"Coskev" did an ok job on his, might be worth seeing what he did

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=131873&page=13

it's "alright" i suppose, average at best Whistle

Cheers pikeyThumbs up

Nice to see I've gone up in your expectationsCool

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 10:06
rikky 🦔

Post #15
LOL

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 10:27
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I can confirm the 'Rust bullet hand test' Get it on your fingernails and you might aswell just wait for the nail to grow rather than trying to get it off

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 22:26
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
coskev wrote:
Mik on here has some pics of how crap por15 is, in his project thread.lasted less than 12 months before rust bubbled threw itThumbs down

The second time around I used Bilt Hamber Electrox, holding up very well, easy to apply, though brush on finish not as good as Rust Bullet. Technical info in Bilt Hamber data sheets has been consistent with my experience of it.

POR-15 has good marketing but results I got were very poor and the instructions and product claims are somewhat dubious in some regards - e.g. saying "rust provides a good key for the paint" is rubbish if the rust bubbles through the paint a few months later. It is also very expensive. Researching it on the net it is definitely Marmite in terms of opinions. I find the comment about "getting harder in damp conditions" dubious as well. Surely applying or curing in damp conditions risks trapping moisture in the paint? And is inconsistent with other POR claims including the ones about "getting a single water droplet in the paint means you have to throw it away".

coskev wrote:

None of us are professional at this underbody job.

The main thing to do is remove the rust before applying your chosen paintSmile

I agree with Kev the prep is at least as important as the product used, as long as it is good quality. The total time taken to do the work about 85% is getting the rust off with chisel, rotary wire brush and removal gel, and 15% is painting it. Never had trouble getting Bilt Hamber to stick; very few products will stick to a surface that is not "super clean"!!!!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Sep 2013 at 22:52
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Iv had trouble with the Electrolux stuff, I cleaned it very well and a few times over with panel wipe but it then started to peel. They told me it has to be super clean until the cloth becomes clean but roughed up steel tends to always make the cloth steel colour no matter how clean it gets. Electrolux is just to sensitive IME.

So for the above reasons I used Jotun, it is a "surface tolerant" primer where cleaning/de-rusting sea boats very well can be very hard to do and clean the surface very well in boat yards etc. Also, just to make sure it gets the best adhesion, i used brake cleaner to clean the floor pan a few times, then used panel degreaser a few times after and since using this technique iv never had any problems with any of these primers, iv never had any issues with the Jotun.

Jotun = Cheap, high solids, surface tolerant, the best protection from sea/fresh water, super adhesion abilities, easy to apply and also cheap, did I forget that bit LOL

Within the chassis box sections inc inside the sills where its too difficult to derust, I used this stuff from Bilt Hamber http://www.bilthamber.com/cavity-waxes/dynax-s50

It will seal in the remaining rust, if you use this stuff be aware it can get everywhere and after application drip for quite a few hours after, so put some sheeting or card under where it will drip down else you will get the floor covered with it. I'm told it would be best to re-apply this stuff every five years and a bit longer if the car is only used in dry weather.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 01:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I've 6ft sheet steel panels coated in electrolux that have been outside years and don't have even a spot of corrosion.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 01:15
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Yeah its good stuff but those sheets don't have 70mph stones hitting it like floor pans can get, or chemicals like hot oil or gearbox oil splatters etc. No ones saying it isn't any good at rust proofing, its used on oil rigs, just that there is tougher, easier stuff to use, lets face it no one wants to spent too long under a car making it perfect for good adhesion, its hard enough on axle stands as it was.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 02:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
No, but the panels on the car it was on for 3-4 years with no topcoat did.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 13:56
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Maybe it didnt have much of a hard life, iv seen floorpans about 20 years old in fine condition. Iv used it on many brackets etc and all has been fine yet a few times its gone bad so I don't use it anymore. Iv painted far more parts etc using jotun and not once had a problem with it.

As said problem with it is how sensitive it is to the surface prep and wont hide rust pits etc unlike a high solid primer can. Its also great for filling in small areas etc.

No paint in the world is indestructible, its all about what lasts, price, usability etc as well as longevity.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 18:28
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
I used Dynax S50 in the sills and all chassis rails. Good stuff.

I thought "Electrolux" is a trade name for a vacuum cleaner - never tried vacuum cleaners for rust proofing but you never know.

Jokes aside I've never had Bilt Hamber Electrox peel or any difficulties getting it to stick to a clean surface. Did you stir it first? I overcoated the Electrox with enamel paint or stone chip to increase the stone chip resistance, and clear waxed over that. POR-15 does peel off smooth surfaces, though to be fair the instructions actually do warn about that.

Like I said, there are lots of good products and rubbish ones too. Whatever spins your wheels. I still maintain that the painting bit was the easy bit after all the hard work that was involved getting down to clean steel.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Sep 2013 at 21:16
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #24

mik wrote:
Like I said, there are lots of good products and rubbish ones too. Whatever spins your wheels. I still maintain that the painting bit was the easy bit after all the hard work that was involved getting down to clean steel.

this Yes

iv used Bilt Hamber products over past few years

some rust is creeping back in some places but it is from place i cannot physically reach and its just seeping back out from box sections and seams, also edges iv scuffed when doing gearbox/clutch changes

really cannot beat going over the surface with wire wheels of various sizes

one thing i learned was when i done rear of the car, i done this in winter 2/3 years ago and there is now a lot of surface rust kicking about under there now (compared to other parts i done summer times) i would stick to doing derusting work in summer or somewhere warm.

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 27th Sep 2013 at 09:47
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
rust bullet company wanted a total fortune when i tried them Sad

ended up continuing to use Bilt Hamber

used that dynax s50 cavity wax when i had my sills welded+repaired
cannot see in the sills plus it hasnt been long enough to comment.... but that stuff seemed pretty good

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 27th Sep 2013 at 10:02

Pages (2): [1] 2