displaying posts 26 to 29 of 29

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Rust proofing
tony1991

Regular

Post #26
Is there any product I can buy off the shelf from well known car factors. I'm after a reasonable life span with a good finish not perfect but want to do my arch linings. I started to applying a product from euro car parts an the finish was not good enough

Thanks
Posted 4th Oct 2013 at 19:10
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Arch linings? If we are talking rust proofing I am assuming you might mean the wheel arch lips, or the inside of the wings?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th Oct 2013 at 19:28
tony1991

Regular

Post #28
Yer inside of the wings yer rust proving just have a few bits of surface rust just want to protect it an to look quite good aswell
Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 09:34
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
I used a drill wire brush to remove all the rust, then sprayed with Electrox zinc primer spray. Where the plastic arch liner rests on the wheel arch lip is a good place for salt to sit so clean this out thoroughly and coat with Electrox primer. I applied stone chip paint over the top and clear waxed over the top of that. It looked fine but doesn't need to look perfect as you will not see it with plastic arch liner back in place, and factory only had galvanic primer on the inside of the wings anyway.

You will also want to undo the bolts fixing the wing to the inner wing just above the bumper between the headlight and the wheel arch. Between the 2 bits of metal was a lot of rusty salty crud, which I fixed before it got to the visible paint. Once again cleaned it out, zinc primed, painted red and clear waxed. Be careful undoing those bolts as they snap if you apply too much pressure. Spray WD40 on them for a few days and work them loose gradually.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 5th Oct 2013 at 22:36

Pages (2): 1 [2]