displaying posts 76 to 100 of 104

Pages (5): first .. 3 [4] 5

Author Subject: 306 Gti 6 modest budget Racing Project.
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #76
I hope they'll take it back - I did think it'd be a handheld, iirc the minimum you need is a 2.25l AFF

I bought from these guys last time, and they seem to be the cheapest around now, still.

http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/fire-extinguisher?product_id=552

I also need to learn to take my own advice. Just days after saying "Don't buy wheels" I now have 8 Oz Superturismos in my garage, and another 2 on the way. Doh

For the ARDs, take it nice and easy, keep it on the track. The multiple choice "exam" is pretty much common sense - make sure you've watched the Go Racing DVD a few times, know your flag signals inside out (even the obscure ones). I hated it because when I took it my closest circuits didn't offer it so I had to go all the way to Mallory Park to about twenty minutes on track and a ten minute quiz. Once you've passed, make sure you renew every 3 years - you're eligible to renew without an ARDs test as long as you've held a license in the previous 3 years, whether you've raced or not.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #77
peter Lloyd rallying Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:51
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
PS3 Controller in shot aswell? Getting to know some tracks on GT5? LOL

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 19th May 2013 at 18:58
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
MSV Trackday trophy is a good starting point, BHP against weight helps as well and as cheap as you will get and as most are in the same boat you stand a fair chance of doing well.

But those dampers you need to sell, even std ones are better than those

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 19th May 2013 at 19:40
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #80

Looks great fun thatCool

He can put that Rallye to goThumbs up

Loving the oversteer at 1m50secsLOL held it wellYes

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 19th May 2013 at 21:43
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
teej wrote:
I hope they'll take it back - I did think it'd be a handheld, iirc the minimum you need is a 2.25l AFF

I bought from these guys last time, and they seem to be the cheapest around now, still.

http://www.peterlloydrallying.co.uk/fire-extinguisher?product_id=552

I also need to learn to take my own advice. Just days after saying "Don't buy wheels" I now have 8 Oz Superturismos in my garage, and another 2 on the way. Doh

For the ARDs, take it nice and easy, keep it on the track. The multiple choice "exam" is pretty much common sense - make sure you've watched the Go Racing DVD a few times, know your flag signals inside out (even the obscure ones). I hated it because when I took it my closest circuits didn't offer it so I had to go all the way to Mallory Park to about twenty minutes on track and a ten minute quiz. Once you've passed, make sure you renew every 3 years - you're eligible to renew without an ARDs test as long as you've held a license in the previous 3 years, whether you've raced or not.

Managed to get one from tweeks for around £125, Could have saved myself £25 but at least its on its way!

Also Cheers for the advice, Especially the part about the licencing, Stuff like that will save me a fortune, im rather forgetful Doh

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
PS3 Controller in shot aswell? Getting to know some tracks on GT5? LOL

Haha that was the idea! LOL

miles wrote:
But those dampers you need to sell, even std ones are better than those

Awww.... s**t. Are they really that bad? Sad

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 20th May 2013 at 02:26
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
coskev wrote:

Looks great fun thatCool

That steering wheel is tiny!!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 20th May 2013 at 08:32
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #83
eddy_gti6 wrote:
coskev wrote:

Looks great fun thatCool

That steering wheel is tiny!!!

Big hands barry. Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th May 2013 at 17:18
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
Beagle_Hound wrote:
Great idea for a thread. Thumbs up I've just read this with great interest, having gone from zero track experience to Nat B at the start of last year and I too kept a log of all the costs (even down to who the cheapest supplier are), including the steel plate required to mount the cage. My total inc car, trailer, entry fees, fuel, safety gear, ARDS etc etc etc is circa £7500 for last season. Obviously the first year is the most expensive, problem is you start spending again wanting to go faster in season 2.

There is a fine balance between what you need (as per the Blue Book etc) and what you want when racing on a budget, ie wheels. Cyclones are fine, yeh pain to balance, slightly heavy (not as heavy as the S16 wheels I run) but cheap to buy so you can afford to have two sets. Two sets of aftermarket wheels and new List 1B rubber must be getting upwards of £1500, if not more?

A friend runs a 306 rallye, which apart from Bilsteins is standard. Here is his 'in car' from last year at Mallory. Once he got past the Mini JCW he went on to catch the Jag D type and Locost running a Blade engine you can just see in the distance. I'm not saying that a 306 in standard guise is the be all and end all, but it ain't all that bad in the right hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSw81eutOj4&feature=share

Here is the spectators view;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzTFnMLTAnU

My first few races I was bricking it and the best thing i did was going on a rally day which gave me the confidence to allow the car to move and the confidence to catch it. Track days are OK, but once you've been racing they're just not quite the same. Get out there, you'll love it, its addictive Big grin I'm sure there are others with more experienced but if you have any questions just ask.

Youve done pretty much exactly what im aiming to do Yes

Might be in touch at some time, for some pointers.

Cheers for the post Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 20th May 2013 at 18:42
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #85
Ok new items ordered.

Sparco Sprint Race Suit - £275

RRS Jet open faced helmet - £227

Sparco seat side mounts - £55

Willans 2.25 litre Clubman extinguisher kit - £150

So far (as i work it out at least) The total spent since the crash is £1880 Still need: 4x Tyres (most likely Avon ZZR) Gloves and Boots and ARDS test.

Although my bank account seems to think more than that... I think I need to cut down on my habbits.

Ive already quit Drinking, Women and Eating... My cigarettes are all i have left, guess they will have to go too! Sad

Updates soon to come!

Cheers, Pebbles Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 20th May 2013 at 19:06
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
Hmmm... Just went for a look over the car, and noticed that the N/S droplink isnt connected.

If it was post crash, fair enough..

If it was pre crash then im going to go shout at the guy who fitted the struts LOL

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 20th May 2013 at 19:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #87
that may explain the epic tripod...

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th May 2013 at 19:43
Beagle_Hound

Junior User

Post #88
I'd recommend Silverstone for your ARDS. Its a bit more than most other tracks but it is full day with 3 on track sessions, plus the test session and 4 handling sessions. Think it was £400, which you may think is pricey, but just compare it to Combe at £320 which (according to a racing friend who did his ARDS there) is, in, tick test, on track and home.
Posted 20th May 2013 at 19:51
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
welshpug! wrote:
that may explain the epic tripod...

Quite possibly....

Beagle_Hound wrote:
I'd recommend Silverstone for your ARDS. Its a bit more than most other tracks but it is full day with 3 on track sessions, plus the test session and 4 handling sessions. Think it was £400, which you may think is pricey, but just compare it to Combe at £320 which (according to a racing friend who did his ARDS there) is, in, tick test, on track and home.

Good advice. But jesus! I thought it was £250 at combe. Dont know where i got that figure from then! Thats a hell of a lot of money really. Could prob get an intensive car driving course for that.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 20th May 2013 at 20:02
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
Ok guys, Update.

So my stuff turned up, Good news Thumbs up

But I got refused finance on all the other stuff i needed, Bad news Thumbs down. Still unsure why, so will have to look into that. - As a result, Take these away from the expenses list. Currently sitting at £1173

Willans 2.25 litre Clubman extinguisher kit - £150

*edit: Think that price is incorrect, Will check later and work stuff out.

Anyway.. The repairs. Here is how the car is looking now.

This is undoubtedly the worst spray job in the world too.

The car isnt perfect. The damage was more extensive than I thought, and it was really tricky just getting it to the stage it is at now. Short of cutting a chassis leg off another car, the front will never fit together exactly.

More to come soon, Cheers.

Pebbles Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 27th May 2013 at 13:40
Jake

Regular

Post #91
How much is the modest budget then? For the first year?

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 27th May 2013 at 16:47
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
I reckon you will actually need about £2000 for a season.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 27th May 2013 at 23:08
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #93
"But I got refused finance on all the other stuff i needed, Bad news Thumbs down. Still unsure why, so will have to look into that. -

Willans 2.25 litre Clubman extinguisher kit - £150"

Right, now get on ebay for the race suit (about £120 tops), somewhere like V2 or Hedtec for the helmet (same), and Peter Lloyd for the extinguisher kit (£100). You'll have saved yourself over £300 right there. Also, put the little items on an Amazon wishlist for birthday or Christmas. It sounds pikey, but saving a bit on each item will add up. I've spent £1980 on mine so far and reckon I have another grand or so to spend (and a Father's Day, birthday and christmas to enjoy) to get it and me race ready, mostly on stuff that I don't need right now or is dated /perishable. I shopped around on here (hello to the 84 different people I've bought something from in the last two months!) and kept an eye on ebay. I have bought a few things I don't strictly need, like an oil cooler, strut brace, a couple of sets of superturismos, but have also had to buy another rear beam and a couple of other bits that needed replacing as more routine maintenance.

I'd budget £250 entry fee minimum per event, £40 on track fuel, towing fuel depends on what you're towing with and where you're going, but I reckon £50 average. Then there's the costs which spread out a bit, like replacing tyres, say a set once a season, other consumables like oil, filters, brakes, sorting out the little bits of damage here and there. You might get 4 or 5 weekends out of that £2000, as long as nothing major breaks.

Have you put aside £300 or so for a transponder, too? Maybe check with CSCC to see if they hire them out.

Is it wise to push on with the track car plans for this one if it doesn't fit together properly? Find a donor car, or a fresher shell?

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 28th May 2013 at 00:45
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
Cheers for the info mate, big help as always Thumbs up.

You're right about the hunting, managed to half the costs of the remaining items, just by shopping about. That headtec site is spot on, cheers!

As for the race season, I'm considering giving up with the CSCC plan, and joining the castle combe racing club, entering the saloon car championship. The races are 15 mins, roughly a third of the race time in the tin tops, and I should still have enough grunt to be in the thick of some decent action. Plus it has the added bonus of always being at combe, which is about 10 mins from me. I reckon a big chunk of season cost can be cut by doing this. I could progress to a different race series when I have more money, I'm considering quitting my job and getting one elsewhere where the pay is better, to fund all this.

As for getting a donor car. Yes I've had a think about that. But the damage this sustained isn't structural or anything like that, just means the wing is off by about 1- 1.5cm. Before I actually get to racing, ill be welding in a replacement chassis leg. And eventually getting a shell change.

Cheers for the decent comment Smile

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 28th May 2013 at 05:38
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #95
Come see me if you want a hand with the welding Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 29th May 2013 at 18:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #96
or give Will DiClaudio a shout as he's very local and can weld as well, knows a little bit about making a quick pug for Combe Wink

http://www.wasracing.com/

(namely bung a Sandy Brown engine in it LOL all pugs pictures are SB race engines, Yellow Astra is ex-Swindon 2.0 n-a with high 200's, TT, Red Astra, Orange Polo are 2.0 Turbo's with twice as much power)

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2013 at 18:30
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #97
Or go see him, he sounds lovely Love

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 29th May 2013 at 18:40
Jake

Regular

Post #98
welshpug! wrote:
or give Will DiClaudio a shout as he's very local and can weld as well, knows a little bit about making a quick pug for Combe Wink

http://www.wasracing.com/

(namely bung a Sandy Brown engine in it LOL all pugs pictures are SB race engines, Yellow Astra is ex-Swindon 2.0 n-a with high 200's, TT, Red Astra, Orange Polo are 2.0 Turbo's with twice as much power)

I was chatting to a bloke that runs in the northern saloons and he told me the amount of money the 1600cc 205 and 106 had in them, I knew it was a lot but my jaw dropped when he told me Shock

Pebbles, you not thought about the French trophy? Free registration if you show the sponsors stickers and £300 per race. They said they would let me run my 205 gti6 in it so that is where I will be going.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 29th May 2013 at 20:41
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #99
What would you call a lot?

I bet its not that much if you then consider the Turbo cars they are competing with...

Top spec SB engine is probably around £12k all in ready to run.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2013 at 20:46
Jake

Regular

Post #100
About 20k is a lot in my book for a 205 race car. How wrong I was.

There was a 650bhp evo running last year, sequential box, dry sump, wide arch. Just think of the cost of that, them boxes are about 12k, dry sump 3k+

Makes my budget seem like pennies.

The 205

205 GTI6 For Sale

Off Racing!
Posted 29th May 2013 at 20:59

Pages (5): first .. 3 [4] 5