displaying posts 51 to 75 of 104

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: 306 Gti 6 modest budget Racing Project.
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Ok ill have a go, wait for the "what to do when car snaps in half?" thread.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 08:16
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #52
Get the welder out?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th May 2013 at 08:17
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
Only real option I guess. My welds have the strength of somewhere between chewing gum, and PVA glue.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 08:21
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #54
Slightly better than most then, show off.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th May 2013 at 08:29
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
Umm....

You know its probably better to buy a already done car. There is just soooo much to get done and yours may not he the best starting point. Wheels and tyres are a huge budget point. You'll need a few sets ideally. Also consider how you'll get the car to and from the track.

I would genuinely consider racing in 2015 and develop the car next year on track days. Don't rush into it.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th May 2013 at 11:57
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
Good advice above.

Does pugheaven still have that shell?

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 14th May 2013 at 11:58
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Is there a limit to engine mods for the cscc tin tops or could you run a charged 6?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 14th May 2013 at 12:09
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
No superchargers or turbos unless diesel eddy.

Think you'd be allowed in special saloons though.

It's kind of a project guys, if I get someone else's car its no longer a project No

Just to be clear again, I'm not entering with hopes of winning, nor am I going to attempt to race in every event (unless by some miracle I get good money giving sponsors)

My aim is to build a race and road legal track car, ill compete in the odd event and fill the rest of my time with sprints and track days.

The idea is that I don't spend a fortune. I will however be buying decent stuff, and I won't be skimping on safety. Plenty of people transform their cars to race cars on a budget of £1000 and are perfectly safe and have a lot of fun. This is what ill be doing however I will be going over the £1000 by a big margin. Especially when I buy a Peugeot 406 and a trailer (when I have the money)

Ive already budgeted for track days and test sessions, further to that I have a lot of places off the public highway I can practice.

I have a competent group of mechanics and an ex racer of 6 years on side.

Everything will be fine guys. Thumbs up.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 13:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
Best of luck mate Smile

In a similar boat myself, but stuck with funding and class regs. (as mine is charged it would have to run in a more open class, and wouldnt be competitive against things like 2.3 strokered 600bhp evo's etc).

Will be watching this thread with interest, and look forward to seeing improvements in the car (the last video I watched the handling was shocking) Laugh

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 14th May 2013 at 13:16
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
It wasn't just the car though mate, I was driving far too damn hard LOL

Ta for the support!

Look into special saloons dude, your car would be competitive there as its classed based.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 13:18
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
Will look into it mate, but will be for next year. Will spend this year getting on track as much as possible, and finishing off bits and bobs with the car.

Chris
Posted 14th May 2013 at 13:32
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Exactly what I'm doing... Except I've given myself about 2 months LOL

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 13:35
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #63
Check out CTCRC pre-2005 series. Basically you can't modify the engine, have any more than 1-way adjustable dampers, run standard brakes, no LSDs (rules out the Honda stuff). It's a new one for this year, but the club has been going for ages. 2l upper limit as well, cars out so far are a couple of 206 GTIs, a Clio 182, Alfa 156, Proton Satria, BMW 318.

Building to the lowest spec also means you can go and play with other clubs when they come near - MSVR Trackday Trophy, CSCC, Cannons Tintops etc.

Look for second-hand parts, too - DT is for window-shopping, not buying! There's no reason why you need fancy wheels etc when you're starting out; the limiting factor will be you, not the car.

ARDs is easy, just costs a bit to do. Don't forget your medical as well. And helmet, and suit, and transponder. Drop me a PM if you need any advice - I got my Nat B a few years ago, and raced a couple of times before life and kids got in the way. I'm slowly moving my Rallye to pre-2005 spec, keeping it road legal much the same as you. I've set a budget of about 2k for all of the car stuff.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 14th May 2013 at 14:18
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
Hmm

My "engine" is not modified, but it has a supercharger bolted to the side of it. Would I be able to enter? Smile

Chris
Posted 14th May 2013 at 14:52
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
I'm planning on doing exactly the same as you in the next few years, just need to leave uni and get some money together so I can start!

Have you looked at Trackday Trophy? It's where I'm planning on racing, similar spec cars to yours Smile

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th May 2013 at 15:18
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
demondriverdan wrote:

Have you looked at Trackday Trophy? It's where I'm planning on racing, similar spec cars to yours Smile

Mine or Pebbles?

Chris
Posted 14th May 2013 at 15:59
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
cjm_harris wrote:
Hmm

My "engine" is not modified, but it has a supercharger bolted to the side of it. Would I be able to enter? Smile

Doubtful as your engine wouldn't be standard on a 306, there are plenty of series you could enter, but nearly always you'll be put on class A because of the charger, or at least bumped up a class or two.

Teej, thanks a lot for the info mate. I'll be in touch Thumbs up

And demon, best of luck with it mate Smile just make sure you got a little bit of money behind you, as already its proving to be expensive, and I've hardly started LOL

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 14th May 2013 at 16:06
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
I was joking mate Smile

And I could run mine in a higher class for a while I guess, but would last about 2 races then want more boost! Laugh

Chris
Posted 14th May 2013 at 16:31
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #69
pebbles167 wrote:

OMP extinguisher - £50

Which one did you get? I can't find one the MSA will like for less than £100, and that's from one of the ebay traders.

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 14th May 2013 at 21:56
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
pebbles167 wrote:
And demon, best of luck with it mate Smile just make sure you got a little bit of money behind you, as already its proving to be expensive, and I've hardly started LOL

Haha, I know all too well how much it's going to cost! Got a few bits and bobs lined up. Cage is going to be the biggest initial expense, looking at about £1k for a 6 point weld in cage from the local prep companies! Thumbs down

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th May 2013 at 21:58
Beagle_Hound

Junior User

Post #71
Great idea for a thread. Thumbs up I've just read this with great interest, having gone from zero track experience to Nat B at the start of last year and I too kept a log of all the costs (even down to who the cheapest supplier are), including the steel plate required to mount the cage. My total inc car, trailer, entry fees, fuel, safety gear, ARDS etc etc etc is circa £7500 for last season. Obviously the first year is the most expensive, problem is you start spending again wanting to go faster in season 2.

There is a fine balance between what you need (as per the Blue Book etc) and what you want when racing on a budget, ie wheels. Cyclones are fine, yeh pain to balance, slightly heavy (not as heavy as the S16 wheels I run) but cheap to buy so you can afford to have two sets. Two sets of aftermarket wheels and new List 1B rubber must be getting upwards of £1500, if not more?

A friend runs a 306 rallye, which apart from Bilsteins is standard. Here is his 'in car' from last year at Mallory. Once he got past the Mini JCW he went on to catch the Jag D type and Locost running a Blade engine you can just see in the distance. I'm not saying that a 306 in standard guise is the be all and end all, but it ain't all that bad in the right hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSw81eutOj4&feature=share

Here is the spectators view;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzTFnMLTAnU

My first few races I was bricking it and the best thing i did was going on a rally day which gave me the confidence to allow the car to move and the confidence to catch it. Track days are OK, but once you've been racing they're just not quite the same. Get out there, you'll love it, its addictive Big grin I'm sure there are others with more experienced but if you have any questions just ask.
Posted 14th May 2013 at 22:04
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
£7500 sounds like a fair budget to get going, looking at around the same and up to £10k depending on how finances go.

I agree with Pebbles though, it's easier and cheaper to buy a car pre-made but I'm interested in the project of getting it done and the ownership of it afterwards. Wouldn't quite feel the same if I paid someone else to do it.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th May 2013 at 22:15
Beagle_Hound

Junior User

Post #73
demondriverdan wrote:
£7500 sounds like a fair budget to get going, looking at around the same and up to £10k depending on how finances go.

I agree with Pebbles though, it's easier and cheaper to buy a car pre-made but I'm interested in the project of getting it done and the ownership of it afterwards. Wouldn't quite feel the same if I paid someone else to do it.

I agree with you, I bought a track car with a cage, seat etc and then converted it for racing. Ticked both boxes, I got the most expensive items included, but still the satisfaction of building the car (less welding in the plates for the cage). Took me 2 months of weekends and evenings to do the work.
Posted 14th May 2013 at 22:18
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
Beagle_Hound wrote:
I agree with you, I bought a track car with a cage, seat etc and then converted it for racing. Ticked both boxes, I got the most expensive items included, but still the satisfaction of building the car (less welding in the plates for the cage). Took me 2 months of weekends and evenings to do the work.

I think buying one with a cage in is probably a good idea, I just prefer having the knowledge of where the cage came from and who installed it.

Knowing me, I'll probably end up spending a fortune in an attempt to win in a few years.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 14th May 2013 at 22:31
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
Hey there, time for a small update. Not much to going on to be honest.

Got myself down Merlin Motorsport today and grabbed some bonnet catches and a cut off switch,
£50 for the 4 catches and the switch. Smile

Been working on bending the chassis leg out, and fitting the replacements for the parts that were damaged in the crash.

Bagged myself a bonnet and a wing for £30

Here's where im at now. Some more bending needed to get it perfect, but its a start.

The wing will be getting sprayed black tomorrow, and the bonnet will be staying white (cyclones are going white too). Both are in pretty good nick although they are absolutely filthy.

Would be further ahead, but the slam panel from tug pudding has rusted and rounded bolts all over it, Hacksaw time it is then.

Also fitted a replacement radiator. Seems a bit dirty, but should work for a while until i get an alloy one.

Also, while I was in the yard, saw this poor little bugger looking sorry for itself. Seems like it had engine failure and was scrapped. Sad RIP

Most importantly, i'm now a member of the classic sports car club Big grin

and I recieved my MSA "go racing" pack, Still waiting on all the stuff from tweeks, which was ordered quite a while ago now though Thumbs down

Booked my medical (£80 for a 30 minute appointment!) and will be booking my ARDS soon. Big grin

In reply to this quote..

OMP extinguisher - £50

teej wrote:
pebbles167 wrote:

OMP extinguisher - £50

Which one did you get? I can't find one the MSA will like for less than £100, and that's from one of the ebay traders.

I got the WRONG one. Ive gone and spent £50 on a handheld Doh

Thought it was a good price for a plumbed in system! Back to tweeks it is then.

Updates will be thick and fast soon, As soon as my stuff arrives.

Cheers, Pebbles. Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 18th May 2013 at 20:46

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last