displaying posts 101 to 104 of 104

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]

Author Subject: 306 Gti 6 modest budget Racing Project.
teej

Cheeky Chav!

Post #101
pebbles167 wrote:

As for the race season, I'm considering giving up with the CSCC plan, and joining the castle combe racing club, entering the saloon car championship. The races are 15 mins, roughly a third of the race time in the tin tops, and I should still have enough grunt to be in the thick of some decent action. Plus it has the added bonus of always being at combe, which is about 10 mins from me. I reckon a big chunk of season cost can be cut by doing this. I could progress to a different race series when I have more money, I'm considering quitting my job and getting one elsewhere where the pay is better, to fund all this.

Cost of traveling will only be a small part of the budget, if you're happy to pick and choose events then you can cover that by doing races with lower entry fees. Combe saloons is big budget - I know it's easy to say "Oh, but I won't spend more than I have to", but it's easy to end up racing on Sunday and buying on Monday.

I would suggest that for the first year or so you try a couple of different series, spend more on trackdays than racing, or at least do those races where you'll have someone to play with. CSCC will be good for that, or Trackday Trophy, or somewhere that does double-headers. The idea of two-driver races appeals, except I don't trust anyone else enough with my car. No

Also, remember that racing is only a small part of life. Do the job that makes you happiest! Thumbs up

"Talking about badgers is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" Steve McBadger

Transversa aurigatio transcurro arvae.
Posted 29th May 2013 at 21:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #102
you're not far off if you can do a lot of the work yourself, but as mentioned, half that can be engine, 1/4 on dampers at the very least, another £1k on gearbox, £1k on brakes, 1.5k on caging it properly and shell prep, then wheels tyres seats, and whatever other frivolities you want to waste your money on, the least the better, weight and cash wise!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2013 at 22:21
Tallguy_2

Regular

Post #103
The v2 helmets are pretty good mate, what sort of height are you, dads got a brand new sparco suit in the cupboard surplus to requirements

"winners come and go but legends never die..."
autorite-sport.co.uk
Posted 30th May 2013 at 01:12
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
Cheers for the info guys,

Teej, you've pretty much got in mind what my plan was, race occasionally, trackday often, building up practice.trackday trophy sounds good, ill have to look up some info on that tonight. To be honest I've seriously considered getting a saxo or similar and starting stock hatch. It's relatively cheap, and its not as hard to be competitive.. but I cant bear to get rid of the 6 lol.

Mei, I can do a lot of the work myself, I'm a part trained vehicle mechanic, although I'm used to working on bigger things. I'm an average welder, and I'm pretty good at making coffee. A lot of my mates are fully trained mechanics and MOT testers etc. I draft them in to help as much as I can.

Tallguy, I'm interested. I'm around 5'8" maybe 5'9" at a push. How much would you be looking for?

Cheers for all the replies Thumbs up

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 30th May 2013 at 10:07

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]