displaying posts 51 to 75 of 464

Pages (19): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: M42 Speeding tickets
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Okay, well there's go there instead. When exactly was Britain "Great"? You mean back when we had an Empire and used brute violence to enslave people all over the world? When we used to have children working in factories? Back before cars, when the streets were disease-ridden places full of horse s**t and life expectancy was 50 if you were lucky?

Or maybe more recently? Turn of the last century, just before millions died in the First World War? Or a few years after, when the entire country again had the s**t bombed out of it and millions died?

Maybe in the booming 50s, where pollution in London was so bad that more than 12,000 people died and the Clean Air Act had to be introduced.

Maybe you're more thinking towards the seventies, when yes, you could do any speed on the M1 but cars were complete deathtraps, they didn't have seatbelts and you only had to go round a corner too fast and your car would roll on its terrible suspension, you'd be thrown out of a window and the glass would break into massive shards and almost all serious car accidents were fatal?

Maybe towards the 80s when Thatcher started closing mines and the country fell into recession and started rioting?

The problem is that no-one ever remembers these things. People look back on the "good old days" with rose-tinted glasses and forget how grim things actually were. Yes, we put immigrants up in houses. Why? Because if we didn't, they'd be forced into crime to pay for things, which costs an economy far more. Yes, we put in speed limits - because people proved they weren't capable of using common sense.

Whilst it's lovely to get all imperialistic and look back as if Britain used to be some incredibly perfect place, almost all factors by which these things can be judged (democracy, education, health, homelessness, life expectancy) are better now than they have ever been at any point in history.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:54
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
The problem we are going to have is that every positive brings a negative, So you'll get a really sensible rule which will do brilliant for the Country, then a really silly one just for the plebs who have no common sense.

Unfortunately we've had a lot of bad influence from other countries which doesn't help matters!

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 21:01
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #53
rich306 wrote:

Unfortunately we've had a lot of bad influence from other countries which doesn't help matters!

Exactly this, mainly because we're part of the EU. Yes

You say this country has the best democracy we've ever seen Owain. If that's the case then why won't Cameron give us an "in/out" referendum on the EU? He *has* promised us one though in 2015 providing we re-elect him. Sod waiting and forcing people to vote for him to get what they want. Give it to the people NOW. He won't of course, because he knows what the answer will be and he's frightened to grow some balls and tell the EU to do one because that's what the vast majority of voters in this country want him to do according to the latest opinion poll.

And you honestly think we have the best level of democracy Britain has ever seen? I agree with some of your arguments to a point Owain, but I really can't see the logic in this one...

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 21:41
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
stan_306gti6 wrote:
If that's the case then why won't Cameron give us an "in/out" referendum on the EU?

For our protection. The absolute majority of people (myself included), simply do not understand enough about the issues at hand and their knock-ons, which is why we pay politicians to worry about it on our behalf. You're forgetting that most people's knowledge of these things is what they've read in the papers, that does not give them the background knowledge and wisdom they need to make a good decision.

For example, if you said right - black and white vote - everyone votes today on whether we stay in the EU or not. I reckon due to its recent bad press, most people would vote to leave the EU. However what people wouldn't consider is the massive knock-ons that would have for our economy basically giving all these countries the middle finger and telling them we have absolutely no interest in trading with them because we think we're better than them.

All of a sudden none of Europe will trade with us, or up our prices considerably. Great, we're no longer in the EU, but we're now f**ked.

Just one example of how there's far more going on than people think, and much as some people ignorantly seem to think they should, these massive decisions on our country's economic future should not be made by Sun readers in a pub.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 21:51
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
I was reading the Sun today in the pub and I don't think I'll buy a Peugeot

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 21:57
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #56
Ok, so *if* what you're saying is correct Owain, what's the difference between giving us the vote now or in 2015?
If we're going to be screwed if we leave (which, according to you we will be and you do have some valid arguments for that) then surely if it's for our own protection we shouldn't be given the vote at all?

Seems very strange that we *will* be given it, just at a convenient time when Dave from Wantage has got what he wants first, that's right another term in office to royally mess things up again in 'Take 2'. It really does sound like a very near case of blackmail to be honest, you can only have what you want if you vote for me first...
This isn't about our own protection, otherwise we would never get anywhere near a referendum. This is all about someone keeping the keys to No. 10 on his keyring for another term IMO. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 22:46
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
stan_306gti6 wrote:
This is all about someone keeping the keys to No. 10 on his keyring for another term IMO. Yes

No s**t, hardly a secret that people like being powerful. And my point is that it doesn't matter if he stays in or not, because he's not exactly the Gadaffi or Hussein that you're trying to imply he is.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 22:58
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
stan_306gti6 wrote:
No, I'm not. What I'm saying is Owain, the very fact that we are treated as people who cannot think for ourselves means that if the Government has decided we are to live in such a 'Nanny State', then they ought to ensure that their overbearing controlling nature is without fault. They cannot possibly attempt to rule people in such a way if they too are making the mistakes.

I agree it's extremely petty, and thus shouldn't be happening, I'm merely trying to explain why people are deciding to fight what does at first appear to be a 'silly' thing to argue against if you have been caught by these cameras.

If we as a population were treated with more respect and the Government didn't treat us all as 'idiots' then the vast majority would be able to make sensible, well judged decisions and feel as if they are respected enough to be able to do this. Yes, you will get idiots out there who can't/won't do this and I think the enforcement agency should come down hard on these people, however the majority would I think have a better quality of life and have higher respect for the Government as a result.

Yes The law has two sides, the cat and mouse and mouse will always try to get away with it, when the cat is much like scratchy off the Simpson's then the mouse will easily get away with it. I think that any enforcement should be legally correct and the more people that put that to the test to try and get away with it the more they will try to be correct to stop it happening again, so its a good thing really, in the long run.

We live in this world as a community of people, ie the human race. What comes with this in mind are rules for the safety of others from the few that dont care for the rules, this will never change unless we all have mind controlling chips added to all our brains Roll eyes The rules have to be totally correct given by law and if not they are not enforceable as said. We are all part of a collective society and nothing will change how the rules are set, its part of being in a society.

I really dont get why so many seem to argue so much about it all, the point has been clearly stated by the few and tbh i think some of these people may have been caught speeding and may feel p**sed they were not able to wiggle out of it.

Either way this thread is going no where now, you can go on and on all about rare sense and the country going down hill etc etc but this system is how it is, it all started as soon as we were given laws, nothing out there is any better, so i think people should just get over it tbh. You cant have no rules in a society or total rule in a society for it to work best for all, it always has to be shades of grey for both sides of the argument Yes

Not sure why people haven't read the part about the wrong 60 sign not being very visible in bad conditions unlike the proper 60 style Dunno I think this is the main reason why they have a certain style and thickness of the numbers like all the other numbers on our roads, not just because they like the style of them Roll eyes

Oh and the EU has us by the balls just like the b(w)ankers do big time, no matter what we do we will loose out and that is when we lost our Greatness by bending over, after the 70's. I wish we lived back in the 60's with today's technology etc Big grin if i had a time machine id go to the 60's with clear roads and lots of mini skirts, girls were hotter back in the day LOL

As for Cam, well he takes the pi$$ bigg time, not doing it till after the election giving a politician promise that will not happen like usual, typical c^ntservatives LOL it wont change my vote ever. Why do people think we had to have a coalition, we have all lost faith in them all, we are not the only EU country either, look at Italy right now. The political spectrum is changing and we will start seeing other smaller parties getting bigger as a result. Why cant we have people that know what will work rather than who's the most popular.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 01:58
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #59
owain wrote:
stan_306gti6 wrote:
This is all about someone keeping the keys to No. 10 on his keyring for another term IMO. Yes

No s**t, hardly a secret that people like being powerful. And my point is that it doesn't matter if he stays in or not, because he's not exactly the Gadaffi or Hussein that you're trying to imply he is.

Granted, and yes it's pretty obvious people like having power. However, it still doesn't answer my point. If leaving Europe is that 'dangerous' then why are we being offered the vote at all, regardless of timing? I suspect what will happen is, people will vote for him again in hope of receiving the vote and then once he's in he'll come up with some rubbish reason as to why we can't be offered it anymore. Thumbs down

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:04
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #60
Owain has it spot on about a great deal if issues. We really do have such an easy life here and we're so well looked after its ridiculous. I see Stans point about the referendum on Europe but the public need time to fully understand what the consequences will be if we pull out of Europe before making any votes. I've been looking into it a bit myself and all i can find is reasons why we should stay. Our economy will suffer massively afterwards and the cost of living will be a lot higher than it is now. Once the public has been educated properly then i can't see anybody voting to leave.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:10
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
ian7675 wrote:
Once the public has been educated properly then i can't see anybody voting to leave.

That's exactly it, if you just let everyone kneejerk vote on issues on which they are not educated, then the wrong decisions are made with massive detrimental consequences. That's just common sense, we're lucky that politicians are sensible enough to know that the masses are just too ignorant to make these decisions.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:16
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
We're being offered it after all the anti eu propaganda. Get the working class hating the eu rather than our ruling class and work everything off that hatred. Reelected and no vote due to the report suggesting we might f**k ourselves over of we do leave. "sorry Britain, can we have another 10p for fuel?"

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:18
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #63
The first point is trade, Thats what the world revolves around. Once we're out of Europe we lose our free trading fir the whole of Europe which means no foreign business will set up here as it will be too expensive for them to export into Europe. They will just leave and set up somewhere else. That's thousands of jobs gone straight away. Swindon will love that when their biggest employer Honda f**ks off somewhere else.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:21
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
But what about all this talk on staying away from the currency change?

Surely trade would still happen outside the EU?

Also i fail to see the benefits when the EU are constantly wishing to stuff stupid laws and human rights crap down our throats. - Or is this only a mild negative compared to the Huge positives we would lose?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 08:47
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #65
Along the same lines as Rich, I don't pretend to be anywhere near as educated enough to take up a position in Government, however all I seem to see is negatives at the moment. The biggest issue I see is how a group of people sat in Brussels can possibly determine what is best for our country, they don't even live here.

I can see trading as a major benefit, granted. But then we've been trading with other countries for hundreds of years, long before the EU or EEC and we survived very well. I would like to think that the EU has the ability to make staying in irresistable, however I really don't see that it does.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:03
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
Don't suppose Owain could describe in great detail the benefits and negatives associated with the EU? I'm intrigued. Smile

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 10:16
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #67
I've already stated one benefit. Yes Stan we've been trading fir hundreds and hundreds of years and it wouldn't stop, its just Europe gives a free trade licence and if we lose that then we all pay more fir imported goods.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:03
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #68
Yeah, I appreciate that Ian and unfortunately this is a problem. The UK doesn't hardly manufacture any goods anymore and that's why we are forced to import and need that license so badly. This is what I meant by Great Britain being 'Great'. We used to be one of the World's superpowers, now we're dependent on a trade license because without it, we'd all be knackered as nothing decent is made in this country anymore.
As a result of this, the once 'Great' Britain is destined to be dictated to for a long time to come because the EU know essentially they have us by the balls. I'm going back to the times when things were made in this country and are STILL working and in service today when they are 30 odd years old. Items we import these days might last 5 years and that's it. There is no 'quality' as such anymore and this is where the downfall really lies I believe. Sad

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:13
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
Quality costs... thats the problem. And everything has to be recyclable or easily disposable

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:39
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #70
I think you're forgetting that on the whole whilst we did manufacture a lot of things, it was mostly s**te.

Our cars rusted and fell apart and were terribly built, our staff went on strike, our factories were all made in the Victorian era. The rest of the world then came along and started making things properly, hence our industry died.

Again, rose-tinted view of how it used to be. Japan making cars was one of the best things that ever happened for safety and technology as a whole, we'd still be making cars out of iron if we'd been allowed to carry on. The problem was that actually Brummies just weren't prepared to work as hard or for as little as the overseas workers, so ended up out of work. And that's the British way - complain about "foreigners taking our jobs", when in fact there are loads of jobs out there, but we're too stuck up to sweep streets or clean cars or stack shelves, because we've had it so good for so long.

People from other countries have seen far more in the way of hardship than we ever have, which is why even in our "terrible recession", people flock here from Eastern Europe because they'll happily work for £3 an hour washing cars, because it's better than having your family bombed or on the streets.

If people had wanted to, they could have not bought Japanese cars and instead stayed British, but people only ever want things to be as cheap as possible, which is why if people realised how badly we'd be screwed if we left the EU, they'd vote to stay in. People sit around complaining how Britain doesn't make anything any more, but they don't even bother looking for British vegetables in a supermarket. And that's the fundamental problem: we've had it too good for too long, and we're lazy.

And Rich - sorry, but that's about all I know, I'm sure as hell no expert, just giving another slant LOL

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:44
rikky 🦔

Post #71
i like you owain. can you do the budget in a few days? if so, what will you be doing?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:52
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
In my budget I'll be reducing the amount of membership fees paid to right-wing moderators on car forums.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 11:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #73
owain wrote:
In my budget I'll be reducing the amount of membership fees paid to right-wing moderators on car forums.

LOL

I'm glad you have spotted that I'm right wing, it would appear completely the opposite to your good self. I am as it happens an avid fan of the 'BNP' although I'm sure that comes as no surprise to you.

I do also strongly believe that if the BNP were to ever get a majority vote, things in this country would dramatically improve, although I'm sure you'd disagree.
What we really need is someone with a good deal of common sense to stand up and explain the problems in this country, and then explain the answers. People would end up voting for this person and things would change. This is exactly what happened back in Germany in and around 1936 and Hitler stepped forwards, explained he was going to sort out the issues, people voted for him and he started changing things. Yes, I'm sure we'd all agree that he got carried away and went far too far with certain things, but the ideology was the same behind it.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:15
rikky 🦔

Post #74

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:29
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
I'm sorry, did you just say that Hitler "got carried away and went far too far with certain things"?

Now I *know* you're just trolling.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:31

Pages (19): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last