displaying posts 76 to 100 of 464

Pages (19): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: M42 Speeding tickets
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #76
You're winding us up here Stan surely. Anyway, the world doesn't work like it used to anymore, most countries are now locked into each other through finances and trade, it doesn't benefit a country to be self sufficient and only manufacture good itself. Its the 21st century now and this is how it is.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:42
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #77
If the Govenment supported British industry in the same way that other nations Govenments did then we would'nt be in such a sorry state. I'll give you an example from my industry. Britain used to have several mills producing mig wire, it was very high quality and was priced accordingly, not mega dear but certainly not cheap. Italy had mills but the quality was'nt there, but they were good employers and welding is pretty big business if you are a manufacturing nation. So Italian mills, subsidised by Govenment money flooded the UK market with cheap, inferior wire. Our "Buyers" can't resist a bargain and consequently bought it by the container load. Pretty soon all the UK mills were gone, you can't downgrade the quality and cut costs fast enough to survive against unfairly cheap imports, so they went to the wall. Guess what happened next? Yep, the Italian govt. stopped subsidising the wire mills and the price shot up, same poor quality but now it's nearly as much as the good stuff. Ten on top of that they go in holiday for 6 weeks in summer, causeing shortages which jack the prices up even more.
They are having a taste oif their own medicine now though as the Chinese are doing the same thing to them now that they did to us in the 80s, and they don't like it one bit.

Now, I know this is a single example, but its a story that has been repeated in every manufacturing sector in this country, I get that lazy workers, and trade unions did as much to destroy our manufacturing industry as anything else, but that is then and this is now. We cannot compete with slave labour, but we have a Govenment that is excellent at taxing things. What they should be doing is putting an import tax on things we buy in from countries with labour rates the EU can't compete with. Chances are you'd by something decent from the EU if it was'nt half the price from China (even if it's crap). If you are are a nation of consumers then all the money is going out of the country faster than its coming in. When the industrial revolution came and Britain made more stuff better and faster than anyone else for a while we became one of the richest nations on earth.
I'm not saying things were good then, as they were'nt. Owain has already made very good points about how awful times were back then, but the EU is'nt the real problem, it's the emerging industrial giants such as China, India, Malaysia, Korea that should be keeping us awake at night. All the EU needs to do is say no to bieng undermined by cheap tat from these places and trade ourselves out of this mess before it's too late.

But it probably is too late...

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:46
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #78
Laugh

Hardly, I'm a right-wing believer. Yes

And, because I hold such beliefs, I think things should be straight down the 'black and white' line if you like, which brings us back to the original point of the thread. Is it legal to travel at 60mph in a variable speed limit stating "60" at the time - yes. Is it legal to travel at 61mph during the same circumstances - no. Therefore, the law is straight down the line. It's the exact same reason I argue the legality of the cameras. Are they legal to the letter? No, then they're not enforceable. It does indeed work both ways.

I know from this discussion that this is not the way you see things and that's fine, it's your opinion. However, what I think you're saying is that the laws have to be strict against us, but don't worry if the enforcers themselves don't get every detail perfect as to do so will inevitably be covered by the taxpayers fund and therefore let's not worry about. So, in effect you are just rolling over and taking the punishment given out if you're wrong but defending the Government and saving them money when they're wrong.

Have I read this right, or completely got the wrong end of the stick? As I'm a little confused by what you would *actually* like to see as the outcome to this dispute. I suspect you would like to see no paid fines and endorsements returned and instead have the current format of the camera signs be integrated into current legislation, at least this is what I've got from reading your replies.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:52
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
Human rights was first started by Winston Churchill right wing, Brussels took over the idea. This is the main reason im not part of the right wing much due to Hitler being part of the far right of it.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #80
Apologies for any confusion, my previous post was aimed at Owain. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:56
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #81
Personally, if the signs are perfectly legible and have been working well for three years (the argunent is that the don't conform, not that they can't be read by motorists) then they should be left in place until such time as they are due for routine replacement and that all fines/penaltied dished out in the period that they have been up should stand. Why waste more taxpayers hard earned money on replacing something that obviously works, with something else that does an almost identical job.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 12:58
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #82
Totally get that Jim, however if I had a number plate on my vehicle which was perfectly readable by people and speed/ANPR cameras and indeed I had already received fines for offences caught on camera for example, however the plate did not comply with the legislation laid out in the British Standard, should I be made to change it?
I think if I was stopped by a Police Officer and explained to that the plate whilst perfectly readable was NOT legal then I would probably be asked to change it and/or receive a £30 fine.

If I'm doing something that's *technically* against the rules but it's so petty, why should I be forced to spend out money to rectify it if the Government doesn't have to in an identical situation?

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 13:07
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #83
Stan you have to be winding us up with supporting bnp that's actually ridiculous... I for one quite proud that I can be apart of society which has different cultures, believes and a different style of living. They don't just 'come here and claim benefits' most of them are hard working and put back into the community. More so than most lazy British twats who believe the government owes them a living while sitting there smoking weed refusing to go to work. And their excuse 'theres no jobs', well yes there is actually. Stop reading s**tty articles in the newspaper because all they do is manipulate a story to get the general public angry. Most of what they write is nonsense.
As much as you want to believe the law isn't black and white I don't care how many examples you throw out here.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 13:11
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #84
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Totally get that Jim, however if I had a number plate on my vehicle which was perfectly readable by people and speed/ANPR cameras and indeed I had already received fines for offences caught on camera for example, however the plate did not comply with the legislation laid out in the British Standard, should I be made to change it?
I think if I was stopped by a Police Officer and explained to that the plate whilst perfectly readable was NOT legal then I would probably be asked to change it and/or receive a £30 fine.

If I'm doing something that's *technically* against the rules but it's so petty, why should I be forced to spend out money to rectify it if the Government doesn't have to in an identical situation?

Because changing the numberplate is cheap and easy, changing ovehread gantry signs covering miles of motorway will cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of pounds of taxpayers money, now, you tell me with a straight face that that makes sense and is the right thing to do.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 13:16
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #85
Ok, I see your point.

Forget the *principle* let's just think about the money. Due to the amount it would cost, I do understand why a lot of people would think it a waste of money to have them changed. That's fine, as long as we know what the real reason is and that principle has gone out of the window then everyone knows where they stand.

Unfortunately, it's due to this disregard of principle that causes me to have very little (if any) respect for law enforcement as a whole.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 14:13
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
Well then they need to employ better people that make the signs, quality control needs a kick up the ar$e.

Again those thin lined numbers will be harder to see during bad weather, so they have to be clearly seen to be obeyed, simple. Some maybe trying to get away with it for sure and no one can deny that some might not have seen the signs very clearly at the time during bad weather which resulted in the penalty.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 14:35
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #87
+1 for Beez. That is all. Smile

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 14:45
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #88
Hey, if I had the chance to get out a penalty due to a technicality id take it. I dont agree it should be possible but as it is I dam well would. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 14:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #89
aaron6 wrote:
Hey, if I had the chance to get out a penalty due to a technicality id take it. I dont agree it should be possible but as it is I dam well would. Smile

Absolutely, some sense has arrived at last. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 16:27
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
Smoke

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 16:55
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #91
aaron6 wrote:
Hey, if I had the chance to get out a penalty due to a technicality id take it. I dont agree it should be possible but as it is I dam well would.

True, but that's not the point being argued here at all. Stan's saying that literally everything should be governed down to the millimetre, and that's a good way of spending our money.

The Government saying "your number plates must look like x", isn't a problem, because your car comes with number plates, and as long as you get them made up at a legit plate, it costs you no more to have them legal, and they're not exactly a service item.

Say, for example, I was caught overtaking over a solid white line in the road. I'm sure there's something, somewhere, that states the width a white line in the road should be. Are you saying that you think the taxpayer should pay to have the width of every white line in the country measured just to make sure I can legally be prosecuted for crossing it? Because that's the level of nonsense you're talking here. You're saying it would be okay to speed past a school if the sign was a bit grubby or the colour was slightly off?

It's reasonable for the Government to expect you to have legal number plates, because it's for everyone's good and it costs you nothing. It's not reasonable to expect everything in the country to be millimetre perfect. That's the difference - the things the Government expect of you are few and they are reasonable, the things you expect from them are, frankly, moronic.

I really don't understand how you and I can be the same age and yet you seem to have the pent-up rage of a 50-year-old man who's just lost his pension.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 17:11
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
He is not so much saying that as the signs incorrect it becomes a god given rigt to speed. Just it gives room to have a successful appeal if you happen to get caught. I do think that as the government have written this law themselves then they should be able to commission signs that fall into the legislation. Its not difficult and as such they deserve to get shown up. Christ, if they cant follow their own rules they shouldn't be running the country. If it proves too difficult for them maybe they should write in a tolerence for the signs to fall within. Either way, it really dont bother me. It just makes me chuckle at the ineptitude. LOL

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 21:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #93
Yes, because David Cameron himself makes road signs from blue prints. I'd suspect some company just bought some from somewhere thinking that no-one would be enough of a prick to complain about them being a couple of pixels out, hardly unreasonable.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 21:37
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #94
Loud noises.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 21:41
    aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
    Oh well, they should revise tye way they commission these sorts of things to avoid further embarrassment. If tuere are loop holes then people will use them.

Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 22:14
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #96
    aaron6 wrote:
    He is not so much saying that as the signs incorrect it becomes a god given rigt to speed. Just it gives room to have a successful appeal if you happen to get caught. I do think that as the government have written this law themselves then they should be able to commission signs that fall into the legislation. Its not difficult and as such they deserve to get shown up. Christ, if they cant follow their own rules they shouldn't be running the country. If it proves too difficult for them maybe they should write in a tolerence for the signs to fall within. Either way, it really dont bother me. It just makes me chuckle at the ineptitude. LOL

Very well put Sir. Thumbs up

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 22:59
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #97
    aaron6 wrote:
    Oh well, they should revise tye way they commission these sorts of things to avoid further embarrassment. If tuere are loop holes then people will use them.

Exactly this. It's embarassing for the law enforcers who are so quick to jump on you because of an equally petty offence. Fair play I say. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 11th Mar 2013 at 23:00
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
    The only embarrassment caused in my eyes is to the people who genuinely think all these things should be so ridiculously governed. Ironic really, seeing as the whole reason we lost our industry was due to our ineptitude to make things to the millimetre, now you're saying you're disgusted everything isn't.

Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 08:35
    rikky 🦔

Post #99
    whatever i read in The Sun i take as fact

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 08:44
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #100
    rikky wrote:
    whatever i read in The Sun i take as fact

I hope you vote. Although actually I respect Sun readers more than Daily Mail readers, as least the Sun doesn't take itself seriously.

Posted 12th Mar 2013 at 08:48

Pages (19): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last