displaying posts 26 to 50 of 464

Pages (19): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: M42 Speeding tickets
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Two lines of dots isnt as clear as three lines of dots that are used for the numbers, i know which will be clearer to see when visability is impared due to road conditions, the thicker lined numbers much like road limit signs within a red circle type ones. The numbers on those signs of which are all over the country are the thicker type numbers, not thin like what was used on the M42.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 14:34
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #27
Chris28190 wrote:
I believe since 2006 they have been in discussion to have this font within the law too. They say it's clearer than the other style.

So, what you're saying is, the signs in their current form were NOT legal, as it was a "discussion" trying to get them approved as opposed to actually approving them. Yes

End of the day, laws are like a tennis court. It was either in or out, and in this instance it's out, therefore making the enforcer (in this case the Police) look a laughing stock.

With the attitude you're showing, it's not hard to work out what you're profession is for those which didn't already know. Wink

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:14
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #28
stan_306gti6 wrote:

End of the day, laws are like a tennis court. It was either in or out, and in this instance it's out, therefore making the enforcer (in this case the Police) look a laughing stock.

No Stan, laws are definitely not like that at all. If that was the case then we would not have courts to decide if something is lawful or not or if a person is guilty of an offence or not.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:23
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #29
They are Ian, they are. Yes

For example, if I drive down the road and get pulled over by a Police Officer, who decides to inspect my car and finds a defective tyre an offence has been committed.

I will be given a 3-point endorsement and a £60 fine to pay because of it. There is a law, and I've found myself on the wrong side of it, and therefore there is my penalty. I *could* of course opt to go to court and see what they say about it. Once the judge had gone over the evidence and found that indeed my tyre was defective as the Officer stated, I would still have my points and probably an even bigger fine for trying to be clever in the first place and not pay the fixed penalty.

Same thing being discussed here. Yes

If you go through these variable speed limit cameras too fast and you get a ticket, it's not enforceable because the equipment used "catch" you falls on the wrong side of the law and therefore does not stand.

It's a clear cut thing, especially with traffic offences. Yes, we have courts and judges and jurys for different kind of crimes where evidence is hard to ascertain like murders/burglaries etc, and this is because people have not been "caught" red-handed and therefore investigation has to take place and then courts determine whether or not people are guilty based on the evidence they have. With traffic it's fairly simple. You were driving (this is proven), you got flashed on the camera doing say 76mph in a 60mph variable limit, £60 fine and 3 points for you.

Whereas in actual fact, this time it's the motorist which seems to be able to have the last laugh.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:32
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #30
Trust me Stan, the law is certainly not black and white. One of the easiest enforceable area of law is the RTA as you say but most of it is a minefield of confusing legislation.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:34
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #31
Yes, ok it may not be enforced black and white.

For example, you can get caught speeding and have a stern talking to by the officer who has "caught" you and be let on your way, a "warning" as such.

However, cameras don't have this ability to show common sense. If you are clocked at a speed over the threshold set on the device, you're getting a ticket simple as that. And that's fine, IF that is the way the law wishes to operate. However, if they wish to operate in this manner then they themselves have got to absolutely squeeky clean. And as this article clearly points out, they haven't been.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:38
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #32
I don't think anybody is disputing the sign is technically wrong within the law, it's just how petty the whole thing is. Regardless of the numbers being the wrong font, the sign was readable and stated 60, if somebody was speeding after seeing the sign then they took the risk knowing full well it was illegal and got caught so tough s**t. If an Officer tells you to stop, will it become illegal to say it in a particular way? This is another case of how pathetic this country can be and is just a waste of time and money.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:46
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #33
I totally agree it's petty and there will be/already has been a great deal of time wasted on it, however it is correct. You could say a Police Officer was being petty if your tyre was (in your opinion) borderline being illegal and he issued a ticket regardless.
Or perhaps if an MOT tester failed your car on nothing other than a Magic Tree hanging from the rear view mirror as it's *technically* a failure.

We would all argue it's stupid, petty and time wasting, however laws are laws and how far do you go taking no action before you say "that's seriously bad, you'll be having a ticket for that"?

It's the laws of the land that are "petty" and therefore the motorist can't really be blamed for taking pleasure in being "petty" in return by putting two fingers up to the enforcers when they've got it wrong...

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 15:54
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #34
ian7675 wrote:
I don't think anybody is disputing the sign is technically wrong within the law, it's just how petty the whole thing is. Regardless of the numbers being the wrong font, the sign was readable and stated 60, if somebody was speeding after seeing the sign then they took the risk knowing full well it was illegal and got caught so tough s**t. If an Officer tells you to stop, will it become illegal to say it in a particular way? This is another case of how pathetic this country can be and is just a waste of time and money.

I'll delete my post cause this sums up what I'm thinking.

Stan my profession doesn't have anything to do with this it's just my opinion and I feel how silly everything is getting. What next, signs painted on the road are incorrect?

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 16:07
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #35
Well, yes why not? If somebody is going to 'enforce' a system then the system itself needs to be accurate and correct. If you weren't allowed to venture onto a certain part of the road for example, however the markings painted down were either inaccurate or unclear and you ventured into it, subsequently receiving a heavy fine on your doormat would you feel aggrieved and unfairly treated, or would you just telephone the payment office and pay it without question? Dunno

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 17:48
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
I'm backing team Stan, although Ian is local I despise him due to the misery his job has inflicted on me.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 17:53
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Well, yes why not? If somebody is going to 'enforce' a system then the system itself needs to be accurate and correct.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that it's people with opinions like this who *create* all the red tape and ridiculous expense that they invariably go on to complain about. If people just had common sense, it'd save billions a year in taxpayers money by not having to put in every single stupid rule people can think of.

Okay, so say those signs turn out to not be legal. One of two things will happen:

1) The law will have to be changed to make them legal from now on
2) The signs will all be thrown away and replaced with the new font

Either way, it's going to cost millions of pounds of taxpayer's money. If you really think that's worthwhile then great, but you can shut the hell up complaining about "political correctness gone mad", or "health and safety", because it's people like you who have created the entire situation in the first place.

If people would just use common sense, these stupid rules and expenses wouldn't have to be put in.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:05
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
The problem with that is Owain, that *if* as you rightly say "common sense" (or 'rare' sense as I like to call it, as it doesn't appear very common) was used, people wouldn't *need* a speed limit to be shown to them so they know what speed to travel at. The very fact that we have speed limits in place in the first instance is because people need to be spoonfed information to get on in life rather than thinking and judging things for themselves.
For example, I've driven past a school at 80mph before at 3am on a wide open road, bone dry and visibility perfect, I've also driven past the same school at 20mph during daylight hours *despite* the speed limit being set to 30mph. It IS all about common sense, and if more people used it in the first place then limits/rules wouldn't need to be brought into existance in the first place, let alone being adhered to.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:16
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #39
stan_306gti6 wrote:
Well, yes why not? If somebody is going to 'enforce' a system then the system itself needs to be accurate and correct. If you weren't allowed to venture onto a certain part of the road for example, however the markings painted down were either inaccurate or unclear and you ventured into it, subsequently receiving a heavy fine on your doormat would you feel aggrieved and unfairly treated, or would you just telephone the payment office and pay it without question? Dunno

In leicester they have made a road just for bus and taxis and if a car went down youd get a ticket. Now if there was no signs or it were misleading I'd argue it. But the fact of the matter is this 60 sign was clear and understood by people on the road. If that sign wasn't clear I'd understand more.

I can see where you're coming from stan but this isn't a perfect world and the law isn't black and white. Yes speed cameras seem more or less that because its a machine but people have disgression and it is used in aid of the public a lot of the time. Yet that is always under looked.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:19
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
stan_306gti6 wrote:
I've driven past a school at 80mph before at 3am on a wide open road

And right there goes your right to an opinion on people having common sense.

"Thinking you know better" is not common sense. Common sense is knowing that some rules are there for the benefit of everyone, and sticking to them because they're the f**king rules, and if you don't like them you can go and live somewhere else.

You cannot possibly say that trusting people to drive sensibly is on the same level as expecting people to ignore a road sign because the font is a bit off? That's ridiculous.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:20
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
stan_306gti6 wrote:
people wouldn't *need* a speed limit to be shown to them so they know what speed to travel at

This is another terrible point on your part I just noticed, and yet again shows your "I know best" attitude. That sign has been set by a guy who knows exactly what roadworks and hazards are ahead of you, has cameras to see accidents miles ahead and things going on that you can't possibly see, and they just plain and simple know better than you do what's a safe speed.

But no, I'm sure you know better than them, so just plough on through at whatever speed because it's 3am, don't worry about the guys standing in the road trying to work without having to shut the road, for your benefit. You just clatter through them and let someone else explain it to their kids.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:24
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #42
No, I'm not. What I'm saying is Owain, the very fact that we are treated as people who cannot think for ourselves means that if the Government has decided we are to live in such a 'Nanny State', then they ought to ensure that their overbearing controlling nature is without fault. They cannot possibly attempt to rule people in such a way if they too are making the mistakes.

I agree it's extremely petty, and thus shouldn't be happening, I'm merely trying to explain why people are deciding to fight what does at first appear to be a 'silly' thing to argue against if you have been caught by these cameras.

If we as a population were treated with more respect and the Government didn't treat us all as 'idiots' then the vast majority would be able to make sensible, well judged decisions and feel as if they are respected enough to be able to do this. Yes, you will get idiots out there who can't/won't do this and I think the enforcement agency should come down hard on these people, however the majority would I think have a better quality of life and have higher respect for the Government as a result.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:30
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
So you think there should either be no rules at all, or every possible thing down to the font of road signs should be governed to the millimetre? That's what you're saying?

I think if you stopped reading the Daily Mail quite so much you'd realise that we're incredibly free to do more or less whatever we want in this country, as long as it's within some well-defined rules that are largely (although not entirely, I admit) there for the benefit of the country as a whole.

FFS you'd think we were living in Syria the way you're moaning on. Governments are like teachers: they're not there to be liked, they're there to do a job because the likes of you and I have absolutely no idea what goes into running a country, and we'd f**k it right up if these people weren't there to push us in the right direction.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:34
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #44
owain wrote:
So you think there should either be no rules at all, or every possible thing down to the font of road signs should be governed to the millimetre? That's what you're saying?

Yes

owain wrote:
Governments are like teachers: they're not there to be liked, they're there to do a job

I wish they would start doing a decent one then.

owain wrote:
because the likes of you and I have absolutely no idea what goes into running a country, and we'd f**k it right up if these people weren't there to push us in the right direction.

This made me Laugh my ass off
I'm not sure that they do either to be honest mate. No

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:48
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
Well Stanley if those are your opinions then best of luck to you Thumbs up

Thanks for wanting to waste all our money. Oh, and read some proper news once every so often so you can realise quite how good we all have it.

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 18:52
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #46
owain wrote:
realise quite how good we all have it.

In comparison to what/who exactly? Unsure

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:03
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
Oh I dunno, the massive majority of countries in the world?

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:05
Chris28190

Senior User

Post #48
stan_306gti6 wrote:
owain wrote:
realise quite how good we all have it.

In comparison to what/who exactly? Unsure

Take a look at other countries stan and you'll realise Thumbs up

Ok look at Russia, Iran and china for example.

Cherry Rallye '99 - Sold
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:18
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #50
Ok, so you're comparing us to other countries, fair enough.

How about comparing us to what 'we' used to be, back in the day when Great Britain really was 'Great'. There are so many issues, not just traffic offences to discuss. How you can say we need the Government to "push us in the right direction" when they take an easy picking £60 fine from you or me for going 5mph over the speed limit then give an illegal immigrant a free house, whilst freely admitting they've completely lost count of how many immigrants we have within our borders and haven't the foggiest idea who should be here and who shouldn't, yet apparently these people are pushing us in the right direction. If that was the case, I'd hate to see the wrong direction!

That was just one example, but you get the idea. I think it's terrible the way we are forced into living into this Nanny State, yes you're right Owain, we *do* have it better than a lot of other countries and regimes, but 'we' as a country are worse off now than we were say 20 years ago. Yes

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Mar 2013 at 19:23

Pages (19): 1 [2] 3 .. last