displaying posts 1 to 25 of 130

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: spoilt brat needs opinon on engine modifications
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
as some of you already know my engines probably gone bye bye.

upside is my rents feel so badly for me. so this bday there matchin my 3500 ive already spent and saying i can have what i want done to my engine on the understanding i make it reliable and not superpowerful.

this is a bit of a shock as i havnt had a bday or cirmbo present since i was 16 (im 24 next month) due to the police catching me grow cannabis in my bedroom :s

so.........i want my engine to be reliable. as in rebuilt so nothings going to suprise me within the next year at least.

so full rebuild.......however so i dont make the msae mistake twice. what can i get for 3500 performance wise after a full rebuild.

im thinking tb's and cams

is this doable?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:25
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sell the shiney bits from your P1 and buy a better built, more powerful and reliable car....thats Type R EP3 facelift cash you're talking there.....dont waste it on the 6, she will soon find something else to break as soon as you have her where you want her.....trust me!

No offence but as you have already been told, throwing 3.5K at a P1 and not even on the engine is nothing short of mental LOL

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:30
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Low Boost Supercharger conversion Superman

/thread

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:30
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Don't spend it on the six

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:35
aphyx

Regular

Post #5
jimmyhackers wrote:
as some of you already know my engines probably gone bye bye.

upside is my rents feel so badly for me. so this bday there matchin my 3500 ive already spent and saying i can have what i want done to my engine on the understanding i make it reliable and not superpowerful.

this is a bit of a shock as i havnt had a bday or cirmbo present since i was 16 (im 24 next month) due to the police catching me grow cannabis in my bedroom :s

so.........i want my engine to be reliable. as in rebuilt so nothings going to suprise me within the next year at least.

so full rebuild.......however so i dont make the msae mistake twice. what can i get for 3500 performance wise after a full rebuild.

im thinking tb's and cams

is this doable?

LOL LOL LOL

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:38
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
honestly3k wrote:
Sell the shiney bits from your P1 and buy a better built, more powerful and reliable car....thats Type R EP3 facelift cash you're talking there.....dont waste it on the 6, she will soon find something else to break as soon as you have her where you want her.....trust me!

No offence but as you have already been told, throwing 3.5K at a P1 and not even on the engine is nothing short of mental LOL

im shocked.......... yes i am mental. hence why i love my 306 gti6. when i was looking for a car i saw numerous other cars and thought.........what piles of w*nk, or ooo i like that.....oh shit insurance........bo***cks, i honestly dont think theres a better looking hot hatch out there. (and for the races ive had its performance is still pretty much top dog in its class)

i basically have had a 1.4 5 door phase one white 306 since i started driving and always intended to get a gti6. i saw this car about to be broenn and went NOOOOOOO. and i saved it i . now i am not letting this automotive classic go to the scrappies.

i could of bought a (better condition) phase 2 or 3 but still i prefer the way the phase one looks. i bought this car and now im happily stuck with it.

i want some advice of what i can expect to get done for my money. the main aim is reliability. any power gains after that is a bonus.

thanks for your replies so far

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:41
aphyx

Regular

Post #7
Chip in 500 and get a proper build low boost by Rich, I doubt you'll find any issues with the engine if you go that route

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 17:45
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
If you want some thing "fast" get a scooby, for the '6 Id put money into good brakes, good tyres, a lightweight set of wheels, and uprated suspension. Rear hybrid ARB, uprated torsion bars and dampers, front Bilstein/eibach setup.

The engine as standard cant be "tuned" much without getting expensive. Some cams will be about £1k fitted, maybe an extra 5-10 hp. Throttle bodies will be about £1500 with new management and with the cams should get you over 200hp, but then thats £2.5k which could get you a second '6 to strip as a track toy.

The '6 rewards good driving skills, spend the money on some advanced driver training, or go for your basic track license, these skills can be easily transferred.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
3500 should get you a nice month with some nurses and a padded cell Thumbs up

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:14
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
You could prob get a fully forged bottom end and have the head head reworked for under 3 grand Thumbs up I'd then think abouth a tb set up with cams etc Big grin
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:17
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I think Colin and I are collecting the car next week ? Can have a good chat about the engine then if you like Thumbs up
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:19
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #12
bigbadbowen wrote:
You could prob get a fully forged bottom end and have the head head reworked for under 3 grand Thumbs up I'd then think abouth a tb set up with cams etc Big grin

4.5k plus mapping though these days Sad

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:21
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
i shud co co.

bang for buck its gota be a charger kit

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:24
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
argh.....its a tuffy

i didnt really want to take the p*ss. my parents said upto 3500 and i was kinda hoping maybe a bit less. i think asking for more money to get a supercharger will be.......excessive.

i want reliability over loadsmore power right now. i can imagine a 250bhp supercharger being more expensive thn tb's.

bear in mind i plan on other lightweighting modifications in the future so hopefully my brakes or suspension shouldnt need uprating. or am i totally wrong on that one ?

everything except the engine and gearbox is fine. i know the engine needs work and im not so sure about the gearbox. 3rd felt a bit ......funny/slightly grindy at times so i may need a new one.

i cant find rich on the members search. or do i just ring up lynx engineering?

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:36
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #15
try typing in rich_w

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #16
Second hand charged cars swap hands for not much more than 3.5k

Harness bars
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:43
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
dont get a boody subaru as they aren`t particulary fast even with £££££££ chucked at them, dont buy an evo as they rot out, dont spend it on ya six (hypocrite) by a turbo civic mate loads of fun

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 18:58
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
ah i missed the underscore. :S in all honesty i dont think i can afford the insurance if i get 250bhp or 400bhp. im 23 nearly 24, 2 years no points, no claims. even with my dad insured on it. (he is now and it dropped mypremium by 200 quid).

i wouldnt mind a supercharger in the future but not right now. problem i face is any parts i replace now may need replacing once again when i get a sc, so id like to try and be smart about it and ask for any parts that need replacing to be uprated to a spec capable of 250-400bhp. like a better gearbox if mines knackerd etc. we shall see..... ill ring them and get ideas on what what will cost. etc

thnaks for the help, its appreciated as always

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 19:00
gman

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I would just slot another engine in from a trustworthy member on here. The chances are that the engine will be fine, and a lot cheaper than rebuilding your own.

Didn't you say your parents are matching your 3.5k saved, therefore you have 7k to spunk? If so, and you are hell bent on wasting it on a 15 year old peugeot, then I would chuck in some decent b6 bilsteins and eibach springs, decent brake pads, tyres and refresh bushes and any other handling components.

You will then have a car that wont be any quicker in a straight line, but will handle much better. Then come to your senses and put 5k away towards a deposit for a house!

1992 Onyx Black 205 GTI-6
2005 Honda S2000 (Sold)
2002 Audi S3 (Sold)
2005 Clio 182 Trophy (sold)
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 19:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
nope ive already spunk 3.5k on it doing suspension steering etc. thats what there matching, thast why they feel guttred for me and have finally decided to get a me a bday + crimbo present after nearly 8 years of not doing so.

in the same way im not wanting to come back with a supercharged gti6 covereed in frills and spoilers and million of new shiney parts. cuz im not taking advantage. im not even that comfortable with them doing this in the first place.

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 19:12
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Like I said have a chat with colin about your engine options Thumbs up
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 19:18
jungle jim

Senior User

Post #22
bigbadbowen wrote:
Like I said have a chat with colin about your engine options Thumbs up

Yep, I did that... and now she's a gem. Although I have no idea how much I have spent on it in total yet... must add up the receipts one day. Still it makes me smile every time I drive it.

200+ secret squirrels hiding under the bonnet with 4 wide mouth frogs...
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 20:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
perhaps i need to.........narrow my horizons on the whole power increase. it looks like i cant get much from my motor without serious bucks and whatever way i go i have to keep going that route. i.e. its silly buying throttle body and cams if i eventually plan on getting a sc (hence my silly plan i explain later on)

my motor when working did make me smile every time i drive it. hence me not being to bothered about more bhp (more mpg wouldnt go a miss though) this all still depends on whats actually gone wrong and wether its worth keeping the engine. could be a silly 2 minute job (fingers crossed) or maybe a 10 hour job that isnt so......bad which i think leaves plenty of scope in the budget to do other things. maybe a new sensor to increae mpg etc

im gonna drop a naff bombshell and say id kinda like to get an electric water pump. just becuase it doesnt seem expensive or complicated to install. i like its potential for increased cooling capacity. releasing some bhp, removing the prang of sitting in traffic on a hot days, quicker warmup tempretures, plus a few others. basically i wouuldnt mind trying one out, yes i know the risks of when it brakes big trouble. and yes i know ill get about 5% bhp gain if that and the same in mpg gains.

but in the long run its less of a no goiing back route as other methods and if prooved reliable (or even better than standard pump). it has an easier possibility of transfering to any other engine or engine modification i get in the future. if my engine is cooled more effectivley from it, it should in theory improve a s/c cars reliability?

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 21:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
You can't fix the engine you've got, don't start breaking the new one before you've got it.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 21:40
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
You have £3500 to play with and you're thinking of putting in a different waterpump instead of cams or charging? Did I read that correctly? Crazy

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 21:46

Pages (6): [1] 2 3 .. last