displaying posts 26 to 50 of 130

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: spoilt brat needs opinon on engine modifications
aphyx

Regular

Post #26
jimmyhackers wrote:
perhaps i need to.........narrow my horizons on the whole power increase. it looks like i cant get much from my motor without serious bucks and whatever way i go i have to keep going that route. i.e. its silly buying throttle body and cams if i eventually plan on getting a sc (hence my silly plan i explain later on)

my motor when working did make me smile every time i drive it. hence me not being to bothered about more bhp (more mpg wouldnt go a miss though) this all still depends on whats actually gone wrong and wether its worth keeping the engine. could be a silly 2 minute job (fingers crossed) or maybe a 10 hour job that isnt so......bad which i think leaves plenty of scope in the budget to do other things. maybe a new sensor to increae mpg etc

im gonna drop a naff bombshell and say id kinda like to get an electric water pump. just becuase it doesnt seem expensive or complicated to install. i like its potential for increased cooling capacity. releasing some bhp, removing the prang of sitting in traffic on a hot days, quicker warmup tempretures, plus a few others. basically i wouuldnt mind trying one out, yes i know the risks of when it brakes big trouble. and yes i know ill get about 5% bhp gain if that and the same in mpg gains.

but in the long run its less of a no goiing back route as other methods and if prooved reliable (or even better than standard pump). it has an easier possibility of transfering to any other engine or engine modification i get in the future. if my engine is cooled more effectivley from it, it should in theory improve a s/c cars reliability?

Confused

what

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 21:58
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
yep. lke i said its all up to speculation at the moment. i just want to get an idea of whats out there. i dont really want to spend the whole 3500 or anywhere near it really. id like some one to take my engine and now gearbox in heinsight apart and tell me how much to make it normally fixed then how much extra to do extra things. and depending on what price for what increase in what area and ill go from there.

but as i said if its 4000 for a low boost sc not including getting my engine and gearbox fixed, i cant do it. seems that throttle bodies will be the same kinda price so......

i want some other options. in the same way i dont want those options to be dead money i.e. say if in the future ill need a better version of them.

im best of saving for low boost after im confident the engine and gearbox are reliable enough to warant spending more money on. i may even find that after its all nice and new (running normally) i dont want any more power for the next few years, and this thread was all in vain Razz

sorry guys (maybe), thanks for the advice so far

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:08
darzmat

Senior User

Post #28
aphyx wrote:
jimmyhackers wrote:
perhaps i need to.........narrow my horizons on the whole power increase. it looks like i cant get much from my motor without serious bucks and whatever way i go i have to keep going that route. i.e. its silly buying throttle body and cams if i eventually plan on getting a sc (hence my silly plan i explain later on)

my motor when working did make me smile every time i drive it. hence me not being to bothered about more bhp (more mpg wouldnt go a miss though) this all still depends on whats actually gone wrong and wether its worth keeping the engine. could be a silly 2 minute job (fingers crossed) or maybe a 10 hour job that isnt so......bad which i think leaves plenty of scope in the budget to do other things. maybe a new sensor to increae mpg etc

im gonna drop a naff bombshell and say id kinda like to get an electric water pump. just becuase it doesnt seem expensive or complicated to install. i like its potential for increased cooling capacity. releasing some bhp, removing the prang of sitting in traffic on a hot days, quicker warmup tempretures, plus a few others. basically i wouuldnt mind trying one out, yes i know the risks of when it brakes big trouble. and yes i know ill get about 5% bhp gain if that and the same in mpg gains.

but in the long run its less of a no goiing back route as other methods and if prooved reliable (or even better than standard pump). it has an easier possibility of transfering to any other engine or engine modification i get in the future. if my engine is cooled more effectivley from it, it should in theory improve a s/c cars reliability?

Confused

what

green temp sensor i think. its mentioned in another post of his, someone said it may be running on choke(i think) and thats why his mpg was so bad.

EDIT: then again if he gets a replacement engine, its sensor will probably be fine

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:09
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
temp sensor, lmabda sensor, idle sensor was iffy at times.

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:15
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
and another argument for the ewp. i can always get a new engine if it does fail and my engine goes pop Razz and maybe that engine wont need new sensors.

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:18
davewagon

Senior User

Post #31
I don't think I'd be able to look my parents in the face if I took £3.5k from them and spooged it on a bloody 306!

Spend the bare minimum getting second engine swapped in there, your gearbox will probably be fine with an oil change an some new rods, and spend the rest on a good holiday or towards a house.

That with your suspension refresh work should a good, capable '6.

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:40
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
For christ sake don't spend it on the 6 mate, been there done that. Like others have said, get another engine chuck it in and enjoy it, maybe put money in e isa etc.

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:45
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
buy my china and have a good car!!!

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 24th Nov 2011 at 22:49
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
ive got this weekend off hopefully, so i plan on doing some more ivestigative work. So flywheel is getting inspected. So is starter motor and while im at it i may aswell whip the inlet off to check my valves. Im still suprised so many people on a gti 6 forum are telling me not to spend any money on a gti6. Might be a simple case of a new starter motor. Can anyone else suggest other areas to investigate that will be easy? Thanks again guys

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 07:23
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
ive got this weekend off hopefully, so i plan on doing some more ivestigative work. So flywheel is getting inspected. So is starter motor and while im at it i may aswell whip the inlet off to check my valves. Im still suprised so many people on a gti 6 forum are telling me not to spend any money on a gti6. Might be a simple case of a new starter motor. Can anyone else suggest other areas to investigate that will be easy? Thanks again guys

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 07:23
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
You could buy a really nice sorted car for under 2.5k and then sell the bits off your current one. Then you don't have to p*ss about wasting money on an engine swap.

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 09:14
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
^^^^^ What he said. Smile
Or, if you want to keep yours, just change the engine. Its not worth rebuilding unless your chasing big power imo. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 09:36
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #38
jimmyhackers wrote:
Im still suprised so many people on a gti 6 forum are telling me not to spend any money on a gti6. Can anyone else suggest other areas to investigate that will be easy? Thanks again guys

While you have you head up there you might want to 'investigate' the inside of your own arse.

Strip and inspect a gearbox- £200+removal and refitting vs S/H forum box £50-£100

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 12:25
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
quote:
[quote="daveyboy"While you have you head up there you might want to 'investigate' the inside of your own arse.

thanks for the info ill get round to doing so after ive finished inspecting the inside or your mom with my cock

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 18:33
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
jimmyhackers wrote:
quote:
[quote="daveyboy"While you have you head up there you might want to 'investigate' the inside of your own arse.

thanks for the info ill get round to doing so after ive finished inspecting the inside or your mom with my cock

LOL

Straight out of my humour style at work lingo Wink
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 18:37
aphyx

Regular

Post #41
jimmyhackers wrote:

Save the time and effort and just bosh in a 2nd hand lump, will save you the ballache

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 18:38
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
I'd leave it as is and just have the lump taken out by me or Colin next week ? Colin has a few engines so take your pick Thumbs up

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 18:39
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
no worries ill leave it alone spare a good clean, i get my weekend back now Smile cant wait to find out now what was wrong and get my car back to normal. I may steer clear of any performance increases.in hindsight i was more than happy with the car and i know a better condition engine with all the sensors etc working properly can can only mean the car gets better. Do you know when your collecting it? thanks for the info

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 20:02
b11 bob Banned!

Post #44
jimmyhackers wrote:
no worries ill leave it alone spare a good clean, i get my weekend back now Smile cant wait to find out now what was wrong and get my car back to normal. I may steer clear of any performance increases.in hindsight i was more than happy with the car and i know a better condition engine with all the sensors etc working properly can can only mean the car gets better. Do you know when your collecting it? thanks for the info[/ put a pair of twin 45 carbs on throw all your sensors away put on a dizzy and away you go car running sweet and a end to your problems and it wont cost you anywhere need anywhere near 3 k

205 GTI6 235 bhp at 7400 rpm
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 20:18
b11 bob Banned!

Post #45
jimmyhackers wrote:
no worries ill leave it alone spare a good clean, i get my weekend back now Smile cant wait to find out now what was wrong and get my car back to normal. I may steer clear of any performance increases.in hindsight i was more than happy with the car and i know a better condition engine with all the sensors etc working properly can can only mean the car gets better. Do you know when your collecting it? thanks for the info[/ put a pair of twin 45 carbs on throw all your sensors away put on a dizzy and away you go car running sweet and a end to your problems and it wont cost you anywhere need anywhere near 3 k

205 GTI6 235 bhp at 7400 rpm
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 20:22
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
What happened to the steam turbine?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 21:00
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
im using the experimental 1.4 as my cars out of action. Cant really work on it when i need it, i have most of the parts i need for making high pressure steam i.e. Valves, pipe, heatwrap, condenser coil etc. just need the right turbine and dyno setup. Hoping to replace or augment my alternator. I think linking it to the engine directly is a little to complicated. Would be nice to prove it on this and transfer to my gti eventually. Would be a few cheaky extra bhp + mpg. Would also make the electric water pump even more....benificial. And i can get loads of ac + refrigeration stuff for free. The system should be pretty compact and weight under 15kg

Posted 25th Nov 2011 at 23:25
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
jimmyhackers wrote:
no worries ill leave it alone spare a good clean, i get my weekend back now Smile cant wait to find out now what was wrong and get my car back to normal. I may steer clear of any performance increases.in hindsight i was more than happy with the car and i know a better condition engine with all the sensors etc working properly can can only mean the car gets better. Do you know when your collecting it? thanks for the info

Monday I think ?
Posted 26th Nov 2011 at 00:03
peetypug

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Are you planning on keeping the car for a long time?
If so, spend as much of the 3.5k as your comfortable spending

Good engine, cambelt pump fluids etc - £750 NOT PUGPLUS!!!
Rebuilt gearbox - £200?? (miles)
Stainless exhaust - £150/£200 (second hand)
Better suspension setup - £600 (have you already done the wishbones etc)
Decent tyres on some refurbed wheels £450/£500

That's what I would do anyway

Cherry rallye - DOB Thursday 29/04/1999
Team Rallye - the leaner, meaner, better looking sister of the GTI6 Big grin
roland rat wrote:
You sir either live for the 6 or have a mental retardation to still be repairing this!

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fecking temperamental. 
Posted 26th Nov 2011 at 00:16
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
peetypug wrote:
Are you planning on keeping the car for a long time?
If so, spend as much of the 3.5k as your comfortable spending

Good engine, cambelt pump fluids etc - £750
Rebuilt gearbox - £200??
Stainless exhaust - £150/£200
Better suspension setup - £600 (have you already done the wishbones etc)
Decent tyres on some refurbed wheels £450/£500

That's what I would do anyway

Where can you get a custom stainless exhaust system for £200 anyway? Cheapest i can find (well ive been to one place!) is around £300 Thumbs down

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 26th Nov 2011 at 00:20

Pages (6): 1 [2] 3 .. last