Author Subject: steam supercharger?
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #51
owain wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
You're a nob

IT'S WORKING!!!

I used my uncanny ability to read between the lines and came to this very conclusion some time ago Big grin

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:05
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
daveyboy wrote:
m306 wrote:
forum expert you say? maybe i should ask him where to put my stickers Wink Laugh my ass off

If I did'nt think it would make you cry, I'd tell you exactly where to put yer bloody stickers! LOL

LOL i knew you'd like that one Jim

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:06
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
owain wrote:
m306 wrote:
i thought common sense says you don't answer technical questions and give advice if you don't know what you're talking about??

Oh crap, I definitely did not get *that* memo. That's me out then.

to be fair though you have helped alot of people with your project thread based on not knowing what to do so i think there is an exception to the rule Thumbs up

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #54
m306 wrote:
owain wrote:
m306 wrote:
i thought common sense says you don't answer technical questions and give advice if you don't know what you're talking about??

to be fair though you have helped alot of people with your project thread based on not knowing what to do so i think there is an exception to the rule Thumbs up

Owains a nob's methods are sound, find every possuible combination of doing it wrong, whatever you are left with, however unlikely, must be the right way to do it. Then post up a funny thread about it, WIN.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:13
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
daveyboy wrote:
m306 wrote:
owain wrote:
m306 wrote:

Owains a nob's methods are sound, find every possuible combination of doing it wrong, whatever you are left with, however unlikely, must be the right way to do it. Then post up a funny thread about it, WIN.

LOL too true

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
I educate through fail.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:16
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
owain wrote:
I educate through fail.

yes and you end up showing the right way, unlike some who say the wrong way. hope that makes my point clearer?

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:22
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Absolutely. Tell you what though, Jimmy boy better be in the shed making himself a boiler.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:38
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #59
too right, i want to see this creation come to life. wheres the "this thread is useless without pics" banner when you need it?

come on Jimmy, the world is waiting on you to give us the power of steam

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 00:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #60
The world witnessed the power of steam about 150 years ago Wink

Harness bars
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 02:44
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
daveyboy wrote:
The world winessed the power of steam about 150 years ago Wink

Some of us aren't that old though so didn't get to see it LOL

No I mean for cars, I just couldn't be arsed to specify as it was too late

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 06:58
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
the world still runs on the power of steam. and probably will for the forseeable future

nearly every power station today uses heat to make steam to spin a turbine. from coal fired to nuclear.
if you can only see victorian steam engines when i mention steam then its your loss.

and that advice on the brake discs is the next best/cheapest thing if you dont have a dial guage or dont want to pay a garage etc. i even said myself that it probably wont show much if anything. its just a quick method that will show severe warping is present.

as for this project, your right it has ground to a hault. i have the high pressure steam side sorted. i can produce a constant 90-110psi of steam coming from a 1/16 nozzle. i have the feed pump, condenser and all valves and switches i need (i think).

the missing link is the 300 pound tesla turbine, and seeing as ive just shelled out for a new enigne fitted. i cant really afford one right now.

until then i have myself a rather large steam cleaner come kettle.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 11:19
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #63

i will take pics of my progress but in all honesty so far its a copper pipe wrapped round my 1.4 exhaust and not a lot else spare a pile of bits in the corner. youll note ive also stepped it down from a supercharger to an electrical power source.

here is a crude picture of the general design. its not to scale and doesnt show wiring. its basically a combined organic rankine cycle. juding by the measurements of the tesla turbine i plan to aquire combined with the resevoir and condensor rad i already have. the whole system should fit comfortably in my engine bay where my battery used to be (boot relocation) and weigh about the same as one.

the whole system should have less than a litre of water in it when completed and due to the closed loop nature shouldnt need constant refilling.

untill i have the turbine i dont plan on mounting much else as id rather not have to do it twice.

sorry to dissapoint but this thread gonna be dead for a while Sad

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 12:22
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
Forget the engine, put all your time and money into this Thumbs up

Where's all the extra parts going to fit? Roof rack? Trailer? Boot?

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 12:41
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
jimmyhackers wrote:
the whole system should fit comfortably in my engine bay where my battery used to be (boot relocation) and weigh about the same as one.

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 12:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
jimmyhackers wrote:

nearly every power station today uses heat to make steam to spin a turbine. from coal fired to nuclear.

Yep, I see them all the time, driving down the M1, causing tailbacks as they overtake each other, bloody inconsiderate power station drivers.

jimmyhackers wrote:

and that advice on the brake discs is the next best/cheapest thing if you dont have a dial guage or dont want to pay a garage etc. i even said myself that it probably wont show much if anything. its just a quick method that will show severe warping is present.

You do realise that a 'warped' brake disc 99.5% of the time isn't warped, yes? It's either crap behind the hub (in which case only the dial gauge on the car will see it), or it's pad deposits on the disc changing the friction u over that spot?
So chances are, your method will show sweet FA unless you do what I did once, and get some solid brake discs glowing red and then hit a puddle full of slush/ice, and turn the disc into a cone.
You won't need the table then, 'cause you can see all the surface cracks on the discs where it's stretched.
That and it looks like a pringle.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 12:51
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
good to see you offering that nice little trinket of info on the post before i got there.

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 13:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
Yes, I forgot that just because you read a thread before someone else you should post bo***cks on it Wink

Although, seems to work for most threads on here LOL:

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 13:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
theres a name for people who get off on shitting on other peoples days.

regardless of what mechnics 101 says. you can detect brake warping/pitting with nothing more than a straight edge.

seeing as the man didnt have a dial guage i thought id tell him the next best thing

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 13:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #70
jimmyhackers wrote:

sorry to dissapoint but this thread gonna be dead for a while Sad

Hyper

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 13:43
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
phillipm wrote:
jimmyhackers wrote:

You do realise that a 'warped' brake disc 99.5% of the time isn't warped, yes? It's either crap behind the hub (in which case only the dial gauge on the car will see it), or it's pad deposits on the disc changing the friction u over that spot?
So chances are, your method will show sweet FA unless you do what I did once, and get some solid brake discs glowing red and then hit a puddle full of slush/ice, and turn the disc into a cone.
You won't need the table then, 'cause you can see all the surface cracks on the discs where it's stretched.
That and it looks like a pringle.

Thankyou Philip, thought I was talking to a brick wall there for a second. Nice to have someone who knows what he's talking about give some input, good trusted reliable input.

2010 megane rs250
Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 15:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #72
4 more for the lockdown Ninja

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Dec 2011 at 15:26
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
Hmm

http://www.nordicgreen.net/startups/article/ranotor-develop-steam-engine-powered-hybrid-trucks-together-scania-and-volv

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 11:02
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
Copyright claim coming Jimmy LOL

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 20th Jul 2013 at 11:55

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]