displaying posts 1 to 25 of 74

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: steam supercharger?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i currently have a test car (1.4 306)

and i plan to try something rather,emmet brown.

hear me out and give me some advice/critasisms here.

Genral idea.
boil water on your exhuast to make high pressure steam. pump it into turbine attached by a belt to the engine. thus recycling otherwise waste heat energy back into kinetic energy

bit more complicated explanation.
i plan to remove the power steering pump to provide an easy mounting point for the tirbine hopfully using similar belts and pulleys.
i would like to try a hybrid tesla turbine (they seem simple and reletivly effficient compact etc)

the steam side will be a closed loop system with a reseviour, condensor, feed pump and boiler coil wrapped around the exhaust pipe. there will be a bypass/blow of valve for when not in use and an electric solenoid will controll flow (on/off)

i hope to gain 10bhp. i havnt seen anythign like this done before. i work with large scale fridge and ac systems so i know a bit about highpressure systems and think it may have its merits.

as i said this will be a test done on my 1.4 as a proof of concept i dont plan on butchering the gti just yet.

my main driving point for this route of crazyness was wen i was told less than half of petrols chemical energy is released as kinetic the rest is heat.

so what do you guys reacon?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 03:50
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I reckon you are drunk and should go to bed!

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 04:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I reckon you've clearly taken a pound of crack and need to give it up.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 09:50
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Go for it i say, whats the worst that could happen? (the engine blows up in your face?) Dunno LOL

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 10:09
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
honestly3k wrote:
the engine blows up in your face, the pipes explode spraying boiling water over the inside of the car giving you third-degree burns

Okay, I'm sold on the idea.

Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 10:11
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
How will you calculate feedback between the accelerator and turbine speed?

Have you seen how much water steam engines use LOL the weight of water carried will I think outweigh the increase in power.

If you want an extra 10hp just make a soft cut out for the alternator

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 11:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I'm sure someone's already done this before as a project, I'll see if I can find it.

Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 11:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Found it.

Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 11:52
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Laugh my ass off

Love it Owain, especially the rallye stripes!

Clapping

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:01
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
monkeyman wrote:
If you want an extra 10hp just make a soft cut out for the alternator

http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/electronics/gmc/free-power/prod_488.html

Check out those 48" rims on Owains hybrid LOL

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:06
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
monkeyman wrote:
Check out those 48" rims

Obviously I tried getting Pro Race 1.2s, but they didn't have them in the right offset and hubcentric spacers are well pricey.

Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:08
atterz

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Legend.

owain wrote:
A GTI-6 with a good dashboard and the seats down can outsprint an E46 M3 in July.
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:13
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Laugh my ass off

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:22
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Laugh my ass off

That's awesome!
Posted 5th Nov 2011 at 12:39
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
atterz wrote:
I reckon you are drunk and should go to bed!

i was stoned and i did go to bed after i posted it Smile

in heinsight i dont think it could actually be classed as a supercharger. more like a steam turbine engine assistor or somehting like that.

think about it more logically. if your cars 50% effecient that means theres the same amount being wasted as heat. so my hopeful 10bhp is a piddly figure. effectivly i could get another 75bhp out of my 1.4. i know in the real world it will be nowhere near that.
but still i think waste heat recovery is an avenue worth looking down.

i know the other 50% of heat energy isnt all located in the exhaust but i still reacon there enough there to run a fair sized turbine.

as for maintainging throttle speed im clueless. i was hopeing a tesla turbine would with its unique and efficient design just work regardless. failing that i could link up a regulator valve to match throttle speed. (im pretty good with my high pressure gas systems being a fridge and ac engineer)

i understand untill the exhuast is hot enough to produce high pressure steam the turbine attached by a fan belt ancilary will have a parasitic effect. this should be well overcome the steam kicks in

also tesl turbines can be ran in a closed loop system. meaning it should be reasonably compact. i have removed my battery so ther plenty of space there for stuff.

im hoping to do somethign a bit weird here. if it works ive done something rather unseen before.

the world is changed by men in sheds not laboratories

Posted 6th Nov 2011 at 22:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Yes, but also by men in sheds who know what they're doing.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 00:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
owain wrote:

and hubcentric spacers are well pricey.

I can make you some, but by the time they arrive they'll have invented diesel-electric.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 00:31
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Nice one Phil, I'll drop you a PM Thumbs up

Jimmy - I think you should do it. Because I think it would be fantastic. Like a kind of forum Scrapheap Challenge. Bear in mind not all the wasted energy from an engine goes in heat, a fair bit goes in sound as well, and much of the heat is going out of the exhaust whether you like it or not.

Plus the added weight of the water, extra kit, pipes etc would easily counter any power gains. Personally though I don't think that should stop you. I think you should get the biggest bag of weed you can find, retreat to the shed and start a project thread. I would absolutely subscribe in a second.

Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 08:41
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #19
owain wrote:
Nice one Phil, I'll drop you a PM Thumbs up

Jimmy - I think you should do it. Because I think it would be fantastic. Like a kind of forum Scrapheap Challenge. Bear in mind not all the wasted energy from an engine goes in heat, a fair bit goes in sound as well, and much of the heat is going out of the exhaust whether you like it or not.

Plus the added weight of the water, extra kit, pipes etc would easily counter any power gains. Personally though I don't think that should stop you. I think you should get the biggest bag of weed you can find, retreat to the shed and start a project thread. I would absolutely subscribe in a second.

I am absolutely convinced this is a great idea. Have you considered harnessing the wasted sonic energy too? You could weld a bass bin on the end of the zorst and in a clever reversal of technology convert the noise into electricity. SERS.

Get in your shed now and load the bong. We are waiting.

Hens teeth rocking horse poo Cossack Ph1.3
Posted 7th Nov 2011 at 09:21
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
i better start putting my money where my mouth is, ....right next to the spliff Razz

another sad note that most peopl kinda do but dont realise.

nearly all of our electricity is supplied by some form of steam turbine. this new nuclear fusion bo***cks,tokomaks etc........

essentially all just steam engines.

and for the joke about harnessing sound, its been done, its called a turbo. all sound is, is vibrating/moving air. the reason your turbo exhaust is still noisy is because its harnessed only some the the frequencies

the paradox is about this is that weve harnessed a shed load form the exhaust gas flow why not the exhauist gas heat? the peltier/seebeck route seems a more elegant solution but is way to expensive to get a good enough system to replace your alternator.

Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 00:27
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
When did you last see a portable steam turbine power station? I want one!

Email me!
Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 00:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
jimmyhackers wrote:
nearly all of our electricity... essentially all just steam engines.

and for the joke about harnessing sound, its been done, its called a turbo.

we've harnessed a shed load form the exhaust gas flow why not the exhauist gas heat?

Whilst there is some extremely questionable science and reasoning there, I reiterate my *need* to see this done, and I don't think you should let little things like physics and common sense get in your way. Whilst I would never advocate the use of drugs, I'm sure any judge would be understanding and appropriately lenient in this case, especially if you took him out for a country hoon in your new Doc Brown motor.

Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 08:09
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
phillipm wrote:

www.gyroscope.com

Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 13:07
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
in all honesty id say inventions like this are not put into production due to customer stupidity.

most motorists find it hard enough to check there oil level and tyre pressure once a week.

asking them to make sure a water resevoir other than the radiator is topped up is beyond most (motorists) ability.

Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 13:12
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
jimmyhackers wrote:
phillipm wrote:

www.gyroscope.com

I think if we hook a few of those up to the national grid instead of the coal powered plants, there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people when they flick the kettle on in the middle of *insert favorite program here*

Lets think, the small(ish), fairly efficient old double-compound action steam traction engines weighed what, about 7-10 tons? And were rated at a constant-use of 4 or 5hp?
Now, even if you let them build pressure reserves up and ran at a loss (i.e, using more steam than you're producing), you could boost that at peak to about 40hp or so, for a few minutes, until your pressure dropped off.
Thats with a boiler the size of your car?

Your other problem with recovering the heat energy out of the exhaust, is you ideally want to collect it as close to the head as possible, and if you do manage to do that anywhere near to the energy extraction you need, it's going to mean your cat never gets hot enough to work properly.

You might, just might, be able to run the alternator (or an auxillary alternator) off a combination of the water jacket heat and exhaust heat, as BMW have been hoping to do, although in their case it's hooked up to an electric assist unit on a turbocharger which boosts the effiecency of the engine too. And they haven't got it to work properly yet either. And it weighs a shitload.

Email me!
Posted 8th Nov 2011 at 13:34

Pages (3): [1] 2 3