displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: track driving/cambelt
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Just wondering if driving on track rather than road is likely to have any bearing on the longevity of the cambelt??

My belt will prob be around 26/27k old by the time i go to the 'ring next, and all the cambelt scare-mongering that goes on here made me wonder if it posed a higer risk than normal driving?

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:02
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #2
Get it done, less for you to worry about then. it's cheaper than a new engine and the aa to recuse it from germany.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:08
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
id say so, if your thrashing f*ck out of it your putting more strain on the belt. You're still well under the recommend 36K though.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:12
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Well whilst there is SOME logic there, if i fully subsriced to that way of thinking I'd get it changed every week...

(EDIT thats in response to mark by the way)

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:13
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Probably depends more on how you drive - it'll be the sudden speed changes that do it in, slamming your foot to the floor will put a right old yank on the belt, whereas if you're tootling around gently that never happens.

If you've got the money, get it changed. I'm sure it'll be fine without, but it'll be a big load off your mind.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:33
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #6
braymond wrote:
Well whilst there is SOME logic there, if i fully subsriced to that way of thinking I'd get it changed every week...

(EDIT thats in response to mark by the way)

LOL its going on a big journey tho, few miles of autobahn, then a hammering on the track, then autobahn home to. (every road is autobahn if your going to germany, even the uk ones Wink )

on a serious note tho, did u change the idlers and tensioners when u last did the belt? it's usually them that'll fail and take out a timing belt.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 28th Apr 2011 at 21:54
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
High lift cams and stronger valve springs also contribute to increased belt fatigue, not sure what you are running but its a factor tt consider. I'll be doing mine every year from now on Wink

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 4th May 2011 at 14:04
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
daveyboy wrote:
High lift cams and stronger valve springs also contribute to increased belt fatigue, not sure what you are running but its a factor tt consider. I'll be doing mine every year from now on Wink

I guess its always going to come down to wallet vs peace of mind...

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 4th May 2011 at 15:17
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #9
Every 30k should be fine, it's half what Peugeot reccommend so you would be unlucky to snap a belt inbetween those intervals Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 4th May 2011 at 15:27
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
on my engine it will probably never cover 30k. prob 1k a year road miles and 1k a year track miles. what would be the recomendation on the belt for the above? also got to bear in mind that the engine doesn't use the standard timing holes due to the cams etc im running so would need to go back to the engine builder to get it back spot on again?

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 4th May 2011 at 15:30
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
rallyeash wrote:
on my engine it will probably never cover 30k. prob 1k a year road miles and 1k a year track miles. what would be the recomendation on the belt for the above? also got to bear in mind that the engine doesn't use the standard timing holes due to the cams etc im running so would need to go back to the engine builder to get it back spot on again?

On mine the cams have been timed up already and then the cams have a line scribed on each one which lines up with another scribed line on the head. It's highlighted in red paint so it's easy to find although I do have to remove the rocker covers to see it. This way once it's all tensioned up with the crank pinned if it's not on the marks I can just loosen the adjuster bolts on the pulleys and tap the lobes around with a wooden drift (won't damage the cams at all) until the timing marks are all spot on again. I'd say a belt change every three years if you are'nt clocking up the mileage would be more than safe.

Harness bars
Posted 4th May 2011 at 19:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
owain wrote:
Probably depends more on how you drive - it'll be the sudden speed changes that do it in

This. Whilst track use will be harder on the belt - not so much the revs, more the extra heat in the engine bay deteriorating the rubber faster, although if you have stronger valve springs and higher lift cams that won't be helping - most of the damage done to a cambelt from stress is actually the shock from starting the engine, or slamming it into a lower gear without rev matching.

The best thing for a track car is to keep an eye on it as you usually see the rubber starts microcracking and the teeth start polishing the flanks up as the belt compound perishes.
You'd probably best just changing it every two years at a minimum.

For 30 quids worth of belt personally I'd just stick a new one on whilst it's laid up in the winter for a service.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 4th May 2011 at 19:42
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
daveyboy wrote:

I'd say a belt change every three years if you are'nt clocking up the mileage would be more than safe.

head will probably be off by that time with the addiction to more power...

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 4th May 2011 at 19:58
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #14
Was just about to say it's more likely going to depend on how good you are at heel and toeing on down shifts than acceleration. Basically what Phil said

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 5th May 2011 at 02:12
allye

Regular

Post #15
Fit a gates belt, if its fitted with the gates tensioner device, gates with replace the engine if it fails! (first post, wooooo)

205 Van SC'd GTI6 - because why not
309 Goodwood V6 - sold
205 Rallye GTI6 - Bent
Posted 5th May 2011 at 04:30
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
allye wrote:
Fit a gates belt, if its fitted with the gates tensioner device, gates with replace the engine if it fails! (first post, wooooo)

that 205 looks the bees knees! get some pics and info up prono! Thumbs up

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 6th May 2011 at 02:31