displaying posts 176 to 200 of 408

Pages (17): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last

Author Subject: Mik's Rallye
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #176
Just noticed mik, ph3 tailgate and spoiler don't look right on your car,Wink

I would be willing to let you have my ph2 tailgate and get rid of that ph3 one for youYes

Thumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 10th Feb 2013 at 18:00
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #177

Yeah I know looks $h!te doesn't it. Might hang onto it for now though... Wink

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 13th Feb 2013 at 22:18
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #178
I've cleaned up both sill seams, back to bare metal, key with sandpaper then Electrox (spray and brush) then stone chip over the top.

Except for this bit which is either impact damage or incorrect jacking allowing rust to start (hole not caused by rust - I cut it open to see inside sill as it definitely needs seam welded patch). Will be sorted soon.

Also doing front corner of sills under bottom corner of wing - only a bit of surface rust but belt and braces with drill wire brush, Deox gel, more wire brush, sandpaper, Dinitrol rust converter, will be sanded down to bare metal (except for pits) Electrox, enamel and finally wax before screwing it back together.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 21st Feb 2013 at 22:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #179
Got one of the last brand new driver's side sill seals in the country from a dealer in Penryn today - and only cost £18.60 posted. Apparently these are NLA from Pug now. Mine on the car were both split through people's heels catching on them. Got a SH passenger one on ebay.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Feb 2013 at 14:01
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #180
Been cleaning up the C5 wheels lately, finally got to put a nice fresh coat of Peugeot Iron Grey on them this evening. Hopefully I'll be able to get the lacquer on sometime over the weekend. I want the paint to go off properly for a couple of weeks in the hope that putting wheel weights on will do minimal damage to the paint, as they use clip-on ones. Still got the tyres to sort as well. I've decided to go either Continental Premium Contact, Yoko AD08 or Dunlop Sport SP01. BTW lovetyres.com is showing Michelin PE2s in 195/55-15 with 4-6 day availability at...wait for it... £145 per tyre! LOL Not at that price.

The idea was to get the Rallye MOT'd at the beginning of March. Missed that deadline but never mind.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Mar 2013 at 22:28
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #181

Pic of the first two finished C5 alloys. The colour is Peugeot Iron Grey, which is a gunmetal grey colour - a bit like Cossack Grey but with a slight hint of blue in it - but not as blue as it looks in the pic. I went into the shop to buy Cossack Grey but on the spur of the moment picked up the Iron Grey instead. Hope the colour looks OK on the Cherry Red car. These two wheels have been lacquered and now I need to let them go off for a couple of weeks before tyres are put on so the clip-on weights do not mangle my nice new paint too much. Halfords touch up primer was good for filling in minor blemishes, it is quite high build.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 20th Mar 2013 at 22:26
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #182
Been doing some painting - back box, new OE centre section, heat shield, and I've finished the C5 wheels. I'm also doing the wheel arch lips and rear calliper carriers. With all the painted parts curing inside due to low temperatures outside we've got the downstairs loo/car parts store and the kitchen/ car parts prep area, as well as the spare room/parts store. Luckily the missus is in a patient mood!

Back box satin black over Bilt Hamber Etchweld:

New OE centre section painted with high temp silver curing in the downstairs loo:

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Apr 2013 at 21:23
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #183
Bog paint oven! Love it!

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 2nd Apr 2013 at 19:13
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #184
Cheers Matt - it is still there but back in the garage tomorrow. S'pose I'd better pack up the 6 C5 wheels in the spare room too.

Work over the Easter break...

Painted rear caliper carriers to match fronts...

OS wing unbolted at bottom to sort out underneath, only a tiny bit of surface rust, now coated in Electrox and red enamel. Will be waxed before reassembly.

Part of fuel tank bracket removed, very rusty but as the 2 parts are almost £100 from Pug, like coskev I decided to refurb rather than replace.

Close up of fuel tank bracket putting after coating with Electrox. Now overcoated with stone chip and clear wax applied before putting back on car.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 5th Apr 2013 at 23:35
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #185
Looking good those parts mikCool

That tank strap will be a good test for the bilt hamber electrox, as its been pretty rusty!

Presume you de-rusted in deox c?

Posted 5th Apr 2013 at 23:40
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #186
I'm about two days behind you doing the exact same to my car, I'm debating fillering holy hell into the bars to make them look neater. I think I'm just going over the top now

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 5th Apr 2013 at 23:41
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #187
Looking good, gonna name you mik the magpie as the like nice shiny things LOL
Posted 6th Apr 2013 at 07:12
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #188
This is all stuff i want to do to my car.. just haven't got round to it yet.

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 6th Apr 2013 at 08:14
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #189
coskev wrote:
Presume you de-rusted in deox c?

Deox gel wrapped in cling film. Worked quite quickly as I'd scraped and wire-brushed it mostly shiny beforehand.

I thought about filling the pits too, but they provide a good (!) key for the electrox and I put black stone chip over the top which I thought would hide them, which it did a bit.

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
I think I'm just going over the top now

I know what you mean by going over the top - this started as a basic tidy-up but I've ended up replacing a fair few bits and pieces.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Apr 2013 at 10:57
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #190
Car is in the garage now for VTS P2 rack, LF wheel bearing, fixing the sill ('before' pic above) a new OE exhaust mid section and heat shield, fixing some sort of fluid leak and a MOT. I'll put some pics up when I get it back.

I've been looking again at tyres to put on my freshly painted C5 wheels, and in the absence of Michelin PE2s in this size, the realistic alternatives for decent sporty tyres in 195/55-15 seem to be:

Dunlop SP Sport 01 (only aval in H speed rating but this is still 131mph so shouldn't matter)
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
Continental Premium Contact 2

And the guy was recommending Uniroyal Rain Experts but they don't look all that sporty to me and I think he had them confused with the now-defunct Uniroyal Rainsport. He did offer Toyo T1-R but I said I wanted something better than that.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Apr 2013 at 20:32
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #191
In the garage?!?!Shock

DIY FTMFW!!!Thumbs up

Got a ph2 vts rack to go on mineCool
Have you fitted new track rods/TRE's?Thumbs up

Posted 19th Apr 2013 at 16:07
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #192
Rain experts are indeed not to be confused with RS2's

If i was keeping 15" wheels, I would stomach the smaller sidewall and get 195/50 Michelin PS3's
AD08s ar supposedly one of the best Summer tyres you can get, But obviously not great in rain

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 19th Apr 2013 at 16:11
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #193
Kev, don't know yet, will check in with the garage but they looked pretty tidy, not even much rust on them and boots looked good too.

Finally gone for Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response 195/55-15 85V as the reviews looked good and similar placings in several different tests to Continentals. Not much choice for non-energy saving people mover tyres out there so after endless nut-scratching that's what I came up with. There is a new tyre called Dunlop BluResponse which according to the tyre bloke is going to be very good, but is not available in this size for a few months yet.

I'm getting them put on the painted up C5 "steelies" in the next few days. Then when the car comes back I'll bolt them on and see how it goes. Wahey!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Apr 2013 at 18:15
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #194
Well I got the car back this evening and after a bit of quick wheel-changing (off with the Cyclones fitted with ditchfinders and on with C5 steelies and Dunlop SP Fast Response 195/55-15) took it for a spin with new alloys and tyres. The VTS rack is superb, and combined with the nice grippy tyres, new front struts and bushes, ball joints, discs pads etc and other stuff it is fantastic to drive. I got a bit of heat into the brakes as well, and they are now bedded in nicely. The sill wasn't too much of a drama in the end, has new metal welded into middle and outer sill, needs to be cleaned up and painted.

Pics to come. My wallet is lighter now, crumbs I don't want to add it all up over the last year.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th Apr 2013 at 22:30
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #195
Pic of sill repair and C5 wheel installed.

The sill repair wasn't too bad in the end, and was all cut out, but in a couple of years it would have been needing major surgery.

The inner sill was OK with some surface rust, and the middle needed about 3" by 10" cut out, and replaced with a section cut from a new OE middle sill I got on ebay for £10.

The inside of the outer sill was looking crusty, and over a foot of it was replaced with a section cut from a 5-door sill. All metal was painted with Bilt Hamber Etchweld prior to welding, and the outside was done after welding. Tonight I sacrificed one of the 60cm lances from the Bilt Hamber wax, and used it to spray Electrox zinc primer inside the new sill section, specifically to get coverage of the the welds and the bottom seam inside the sill.

Next step after letting the Electrox dry will be to shoot Dynax S50 cavity wax into the sills, A pillars etc.

The wheels painted in Peugeot Iron Grey look darker than I thought (compare to pic without tyres where they look much lighter), but look OK. Thanks to Spire Tyres in Salisbury, not only did they get me a decent price but also used Aluminium weights that are easier to get off when the wheels need rebalancing. They will also fit tyres bought elsewhere and get a lot of clientele via word of mouth.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd May 2013 at 23:17
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #196
Done some work today, but not as much as I thought. I drilled the sideskirt rivets out to 6mm ready for the riv nuts and dealt with some paint lifting around the rivet holes, Electrox and paint.

After drilling, removing flaking paint and priming:

Passenger sill painted:

Rivet holes done but some surface corrosion under the seal primed only and still needs painting - the front bit of the sill under the new paint is new due to incorrect jacking and rusting in previous photos:

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th May 2013 at 00:10
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #197
Just been pulling out the rear quarter panels to prep the inside rear of the sills for rustproofing. Found this very helpful guide:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=149113

...and got them off with no problems apart from breaking the first 3 clips before I got the knack. Oh well, hopefully the seals and screws will hold them in place and I'll redistribute the intact clips accordingly.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th May 2013 at 17:56
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #198
I got the quarter panels out...

And both sides have sound deadening that just pulls out...

but the bottom of it sits right in the bottom of the sill and has been keeping the moisture in as the bottom sill seams aren't sealed and water/salt can get in...

and you can see the salt in there but the rust is minor luckily...

so this was scraped and hosed out, then with some isopropol alcohol to dry it off, then Dinitrol RC900 rust converter the length of both sills both sides of the centre sill bit until it leaked out the seams.

Tomorrow will be shooting copious quantities of Dynax S50 in there.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th May 2013 at 21:06
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #199
Great work and pics MikThumbs up

You can see from your pic how jamiek_uk2000's car has rotted in that areaThumbs down

Posted 6th May 2013 at 22:29
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #200
Cheers Kev, yes that end of the sill is lower so water will sit in there. Any water from leaks plus a nice salty mixture blasted up through the seam gaps will eventually cause rust.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 7th May 2013 at 22:02

Pages (17): first .. 7 [8] 9 .. last