Post #276
hah its a hard balance between keeping it clean and verging on ocd LOL

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 1st Aug 2013 at 10:35
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #277
I've been cleaning up the KD Racing strut brace I got from Tarret. Cleaned off some rusty bits, etch primed and painted satin black. I've ordered some bolts from Pug - 6923 G6 (I think) anyway they are M8 x 125 x 20mm, which is 4mm longer than standard. Hope to have it on next week.

Now I need to get up the motivation to get under the car and put some firegum on the join at the rear of the cat. Having faffed around with the exhaust a lot I'm a bit unmotivated. Need to give myself a bit of a talking to and sort it tomorrow.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Aug 2013 at 22:03
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #278
Here is the Daveyboy repair to the rear of my cat. Much nicer then the 'before'pic a page or so back I'm sure you will agree.

After fitting the Pug OE undertray, my next aero improvement is to fill in the bit between the front of the undertray and the bottom lip of the bumper in the pic here:

I've had a look at my wife's 08 Ford Focus which has a plastic filler piece of a similar shape. If the measuring goes OK, I may use one of these cut to fit, aval on ebay for £38 or so. Getting a 1.1m wide piece of ABS seems to cost about that, and this material is the right thickness with strengthening ribs etc. Should fit with bit of dremel cutting disc action but we'll see.

I've had to reseal both the front and rear exhaust joints several times (OE mid section, Klarius pattern rear, both almost new), as the Holt's Firegum doesn't seem to work as well as I thought. Or maybe I'm just cr@p with exhausts. The day before yesterday I got both joints well sealed, but I didn't properly centre the cat and middle silencer and they were touching the heat shields all day today (especially decelerating) and the noise set my teeth on edge. So I've just had another go now, and got it nice and centred, but now it sounds like it did before I started the other day, OK but with a slight blow if you listen hard. Well I think I'm going to have to let it stay like that. I used a whole tube of Holt's Firegum and got it everywhere but the joint design doesn't seem particularly easy to get gas tight.

But the good news is I've checked both CV boots and neither of them have popped off again yet.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 9th Aug 2013 at 20:48
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #279
I got the new slightly-longer bolts from Peugeot today (6923 G6, M8 x 125 x 20mm), and couldn't resist getting the strut brace installed straight away.

I took it for a quick test drive afterwards. I wasn't expecting a day and night difference, and I didn't get one either. But more subtly it turns in better around sharp corners, feels a bit flatter, and there is noticeably less scuttle shake when on rutted roads. No noticeable difference on smooth roads at moderate speeds. But definitely worth it overall.

Also got an oil filter and sump plug washer as it's due an oil change shortly. Better get on Opie Oils and see what is around.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 13th Aug 2013 at 22:43
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #280
Some noticeable difference is niceCool

Have you set it to pull the strut tops inwards slightly?

A lower brace gives you about the same difference againWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 13th Aug 2013 at 22:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #281
Yes Kev, to get the bottom bolts in I had to flex the brace slightly. Took a lot of care not to cross thread the bolts and did not over-tighten.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 13th Aug 2013 at 22:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #282
Changed the oil this morning, I've gone for Millers 10w40 competition triple ester synthetic and a Pug OE filter. Some would say it is overkill, but I like using top quality oil, and Opie Oils had a handy 20% discount when I bought it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Sep 2013 at 18:09
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #283
like the strut brace, never bothered with one

always forget this is the lad fae Golspies Rallye who was round trying to diagnose my faulty wiring loom back in 2010!

small world LOL

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 18th Sep 2013 at 15:41
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #284
Undertrays always finish them off nicely Mik

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 18th Sep 2013 at 16:12
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #285
Good work!

I find the best use of the upper strut brace is it gives me something to lean on when working on the car Laugh

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 18th Sep 2013 at 17:16
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #286
Been a while since i've seen this thread Mik, Sounds like i've missed quite a bit now!

Love the work you've done to that strut brace. I think i really need to look at sorting mine out properly now that FCS has been and gone.

Regarding the under tray, i'm a little jealous as mine decided to disintegrate right where the bolts sit on the Sub frame.
Might have to invest in a new one i think!

You've also reminded me that i need to give 'Daveyboy' a ring at some point to sort out my top mount. (i did say within a couple of months at the time) I kinda got sidetracked!!

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 18th Sep 2013 at 20:24
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #287
Russ, yes it was that chap from Golspie, really good bloke. Basically sound car needing some TLC, he'd bought it from an old bloke who was keen to get it back. Now I've replaced most of the front end and done all that work I'm keeping it. New bits, brace and Xsara rack makes it feel brilliant.

Matt, I got that undertray off ebay, rusty bolts were all that remained of the original. I was wondering what difference it would make to fuel economy, only a little really, maybe 5%. Will see what adding a couple of extra bits does in the way of further improvements.

cjm, yes, strut brace is very handy for leaning on while admiring the engine bay.

Rich, any chance you can salvage it with a couple of bits of rigid plastic to spread the load around the bolt holes? I'm going to get my top mount done as well, as these cars need a bit of extra strengthening around there. Going to chock the mount with 3mm alloy angle as well.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th Sep 2013 at 01:12
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #288
Well i have a crack down the side of it, not much i can think of doing to improve it other than bolting a plate right over the top.
Problem is that it's still going to be there!

I'm thinking about getting hold of a welding kit at one point and self teaching. Smile

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 19th Sep 2013 at 23:09
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #289
Last week drove the car to Ireland, after 300 mile drive north arrived Dublin on the ferry, down to Cork, then back to Dublin for the ferry, then 300 miles home. The car was brilliant to drive, even after hours at the wheel. All the work so far has paid off. A sorted Rallye is a dream to drive.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 28th Sep 2013 at 00:09
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #290
mik wrote:
Last week drove the car to Ireland, after 300 mile drive north arrived Dublin on the ferry, down to Cork, then back to Dublin for the ferry, then 300 miles home. The car was brilliant to drive, even after hours at the wheel. All the work so far has paid off. A sorted Rallye is a dream to drive.

Agreed! Smile I'm glad i was also part in improving your car hehe Thumbs up

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 28th Sep 2013 at 08:42
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #291
Yes the black masks really suit it and the bonnet is nice and easy to close now.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th Sep 2013 at 00:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #292
mik wrote:
Going to chock the mount with 3mm alloy angle as well.

I usually just weld some 3mm chocks in whilst repairing the mount anyway, easier than wedging some alloy in afterwards.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th Sep 2013 at 01:36
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #293
Phil, when I get Jim to do my engine mount cradle I'll get that done as well - agree it is neater.

Finally did the engine chocks tonight. I couldn't find any alloy thick enough locally so used some 4mm steel and bashed it into a right angle, filed it down and the results look OK, though quite chunky. I put them in tonight and will test the difference driving to Nottingham tomorrow. All the engine mounts are new OE, but there was still a bit of engine movement.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 7th Oct 2013 at 20:50
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #294
The chock works quite well up until a few thousand miles in, after that it gets a bit more movement.. Doesn't help that my engine mount is fubard anyway.
Has Jim changed his price for the engine mount these days?

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 8th Oct 2013 at 18:36
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #295
Just got back from a 300 mile drive, car went really well and a good improvement even though I've got new engine mounts, just 8mm less movement. I can see why it would loosen up, the rubber buffer will get deformed gradually.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Oct 2013 at 22:01
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #296
Tonight I installed the front undertray section. I used a Mk 2 Ford Focus front undertray section that is fairly close in size, mainly needed the ends cut off and new holes drilled. Some fettling still to be done to make it perfect, but here are the results so far.

Here is the piece and the cardboard template:

...a "before" pic...

...and an "after" pic with the piece installed.

Basically I did it to clean up the underside, as the factory undertray leaves this bit open with stuff hanging down. It might smooth out airflow a bit and direct air through the rad slightly better.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Oct 2013 at 20:17
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #297
I have SORNed the Rallye for winter having done 5K miles since May, but I'll be getting the leather upholstery ready to install, and finishing the undertray etc. Around spring I'll finally be getting the paintwork done. Maybe.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 27th Oct 2013 at 19:57
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #298
Looks good that mik Smile

Mines sat in the garage abit unloved since I bought a derv daily driver Wink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 27th Oct 2013 at 20:10
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #299
At least you can take the Rallye off of the road Big grin, Not sure she'd like the winter much haha.

Mine is sitting outside on the drive knowing she's still gonna be my winter work horse.
I do like what you've done with the under tray btw.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 06:49
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #300
Almost feel guilty about using the '6 as my daily now, 16 now, almost as old as my 205 when I got it and that gets rested in a cosy garage all winter.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 28th Oct 2013 at 22:14

Pages (17): first .. 11 [12] 13 .. last