Author Subject: Mik's Rallye
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #251
mik wrote:
russbez wrote:
I have managed to get access to a rivnut gun

can i ask what length your M4 allen flat-head bolt
i was thinking 20/25mm would be long enough?

I used 16mm length bolts which was perfect.

Bolts are M4, washers are M5 (for total approx diameter of original rivet heads as the holes in the skirts are quite big), and stainless splined rivnuts have M4 thread with 6mm outside diameter (1mm wall thickness), which required slight enlarging of the rivet holes.

Rivnut link is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170778239746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks Yes

i have a funny feeling the holes in my arches have already been Enlarged by last owner

did you take your doors off when doing it???

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 11:17
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #252
No need - doors didn't get in the way at all.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 24th Jun 2013 at 17:24
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #253
Rich black masked my headlights for me Love Looks fantastic on a red car, and is very OEM-looking but a subtle improvement - well it would as the lights are OE parts not some aftermarket tat. The lenses had the odd scratch but they look much better after sanding down the scratches with 2500 grit and then a lot of polishing with cut and polish wax to make the plastic transparent again.

Now my rattle-canned bumper has had a chance for the paint and clearcoat to go off I've sanded it with 2500 grit and polished with Turtle Wax cut and polish (called "colour restorer" IIRC). It now looks much better than I ever thought it would and the colour match is surprisingly good with the original paint on the wings and grille. This pic exaggerates the bumper/grille gap - I'll tweak it in due course as it is a bit of a faff getting the plastics off again and I'm enjoying driving it at present. The only question mark over rattle-canning will be the durability, a paint shop painting a bumper would use adhesion promoter and a plasticiser in the paint, but I have not. Still it only started out as an experiment on a second hand bumper, so if it lasts a couple of years I'll be happy. At that stage I can either do it again with improved techniques or just get a shop to paint my brand new unpainted OE bumper which is sitting in the loft.

The bumper turned out so well I've decided to have a go with rattle-cans at the nasty dull and crazed bonnet. The plan is I'll paint strip it back to bare metal, prime with Bilt Hamber Etchweld and then a coat of yellow high build primer as I've found that red paint doesn't cover well over grey. Sand that back to within an inch of its life then several coats of Cherry, then a couple of days later sand that down with 1200 and two coats of lacquer on top. A couple of weeks after that I can sand with 2500 and polish to a shine. Even if I can't get it to showroom standard it will still be an improvement on the current state of it. And I can always strip it again for a professional to do.

I've also bought an Autoglym clay kit and have only done the driver's wing so far - what a difference, the clay really does get all the embedded road dirt etc off the paint. I'll work my way around the car as time allows.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 09:29
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #254
Looks really nice Smile pleased you're happy with the black masks. As said already; sorry I didn't get the time to sand out the scratches!

Richies Project Rallye

Electrical work carried out in Portsmouth

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 14:05
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #255
I'd seriously have a good think about doing the bonnet with cans, I understand what you are saying with have a go but it is so hard to get the paint on even enough to get that nice flat shiny finish. Bumpers and to be honest Anything not flat is fairly easy but a bonnet will stand out like a sore thumb.

Also I'd say the amount of tins you will need to get anywhere near adequate coverage will cost about the same as having someone blow it over if you are prepared to do the initial prep and flat and polish.

Good on you if you do have a go, I always have a look when I see this updated as you've done a really good job so will look forward to see how you get on with trying it.

Ryan
Posted 26th Jun 2013 at 16:10
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #256
It's food for thought Ryan, thanks for that.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jul 2013 at 23:41
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #257
My local cheap bodyshop would charge £45 to paint a bonnet off the car Mik, i'd phone round and get some prices, you'd easily spend that in rattle cans

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 2nd Jul 2013 at 08:18
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #258
Cheers Matt I've been talking to paint shops for a while - all a bit more expensive than that. I'll think about it some more, no major rush, enjoying driving it at present. After claying the rest of the car the bonnet looks even duller though.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 18:49
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #259
Got a KD Racing (or looks just like one) strut brace from tarret off here. I've always favoured that design as I think it is stiffer than the OMP or E-tech designs. Losing the adjuster bit would stiffen it even more, as well as lightening it. Not as well made as the never-used OMP-type Raceland one I've got sitting in the garage though, e.g. the welds are a bit blobby. It has already been reshaped with a hammer at one end. As related elsewhere, the brace almost touched the ECU cover when I got it, even when sitting on top of the bolts so it was sitting 8mm above where it would sit when bolted down. Last night I "tweaked" it with the hammer and got some more clearance, though it will need a bit more. I haven't taken the bolts out to see how it sits, as I want to get new, longer bolts before I do that. While I quite like the green colour, it has seen better days and doesn't suit the theme of the car so will be painted either Cherry Red or satin black to blend in a bit more.

Clearance after a bit of careful bashing:

Needs a little bit more though before it will fit, as pic was taken sitting on the strut bolt heads, not attached to the car.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 19:07
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #260
You must remember Matt lives in the Black Country MikYes ,lots of things are available for £45 that would cost a lot more elsewhere!!!!Big grin

Not a sniff you would get a bonnet painted for that round hereNo not a good job anyway.Cost me £180 for sideskirts,grille,hockey sticks and a mirror capAngry

If you lose the adjuster on strut brace you can't set it up then,according to PhilipM on here you should have the strut tops pulled in slightly with the braceYes and it worksCool
Had set mine so it was pushing out slightly,changed it to pull the strut tops inwards slightly and I got a better turn in and less under steerThumbs up

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 21:14
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #261
Have you picked up a de-cat yet?

Cheap new Magnex ones from Tweeks:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnex-Decat-Pipe-Peugeot-306-GTI-6-1998-2-0-16V-XCRPP34-/200939304601?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec8ea7699

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 21:49
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #262
No not yet, missed that bargain Devil one due to poor admin. Thanks for the link.

Good tip on strut brace, sounds like a plan.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Jul 2013 at 23:01
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #263
Took it in to get new CV gaiter today, and got it checked over prior to a trip to Scotland this weekend. Apart from the broken rad overflow pipe on the 1000-mile Nissens rad (sure it was broken when I got it but as I didn't open the box for 2 months so I don't have a leg to stand on in terms of getting it exchanged) and a corroded number plate bulb holder it is in fine fettle. Apart from Daveyboy fixing the tube on the rear of the cat on Wed it is all ready for Scotland.

Wahey!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 19:37
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #264
Enjoy your drive up to Scutsland! Smile

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
You'll need to throw money at the car. Not on parts. Just stand near your car and throw loose change at it, I find this increases performance for a short period of time
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 8th Jul 2013 at 22:49
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #265
where you going ?

My Rallye project thread
Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 12:26
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #266
Edinburgh for a mate's birthday.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 9th Jul 2013 at 17:23
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #267
I've done 700 miles in the last week and the car has gone really well. Last night I got Daveyboy to weld a new tube at the rear of the cat that split and was temporarily fixed on the last page. He did a fantastic job and it is a million times better.

Jim also noticed a loose CV boot (the clip on the big end had come undone), and it had been that way for some time as there is grease everywhere, including probably several hours travelling at 75mph in the last week. I drove home at a slower speed to attempt to fling out the minimum amount of grease. I'm sorting a new boot tomorrow.

Do these cars have a reputation for throwing CV boots? I ask as this is about the 4th time in 2 years at 3 different garages I've had to get a CV boot re-secured or replaced.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Jul 2013 at 17:18
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #268
I had to replace mine on the last set of Driveshafts.
They're a pain to change over as the clip doesn't seem to want to do up in the fashion that is needed.

they now supply plastic boots instead of the rubber type, but i don't know if thats because they're cheaper.

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 18th Jul 2013 at 22:41
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #269
mik wrote:

New rear sill clips which are now NLA from Pug. I've salvaged the old ones which can be re-usd with some new sticky stuff.

Thumbs down

would it be possible to use double side tape to hold the skirts more securely?

some of the stuff i have used for number plate fixing is pretty secure, but not as permanent Tigerseal etc

My Rallye project thread
Posted 30th Jul 2013 at 11:45
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #270
That orange stuff in the pic is covering the OE sticky sponge-like double-sided tape on the new clip. Works well and allows a bit of movement. I'm sure you can get the same stuff somewhere like Homebase or B&Q.

I found those original new clips on ebay, and one of the types is still available at the dealer. Added to that, a PO of my car drilled a hole in the rear arch and put a screw through the skirt into it (there is a pic on here somewhere). My skirts are staying put no worries.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th Jul 2013 at 20:02
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #271
yeh i seen that, rivnuts are the business!!

wish i never started LOL

got soo many niggles sorted i guess, cars been off the road over a month

i will double check with Peugeot pretty sure my local didnt have any of the few types that i did ask for
got some generic looking ones but they arent 100%

My Rallye project thread
Posted 30th Jul 2013 at 20:14
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #272
No, I mean the stainless self-tapper at bottom left of the pic below. Drilled by a PO, so I did one in the other side to make it match. Looks as if it was always like that. It does secure the top rear edge of the skirt, which is probably why the PO did one side...though I don't know if I would have done it myself if one side hadn't already been done already...

Oh and excuse the touching in of stone chips, looks a lot better than that now as it has been sanded flush.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th Jul 2013 at 23:16
rich306

Seasoned Pro

Post #273
AT least you've covered up your stone chips lol, mine are still prominent on the car!

Richies Project Rallye

jamiek_uk2000 wrote:
- Top Tip!!!
Posted 31st Jul 2013 at 06:38
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #274
sorry didnt word that very well

Yeh i seen the self tapper, you have a pm

My Rallye project thread
Posted 31st Jul 2013 at 09:02
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #275
Russ PM replied.

I'm resisting the temptation to spend money respraying things and get the paint too immaculate as then I'll start getting OCD about chips. Keep it clean and tidy, touch in stone chips to stop deterioration and just use the car I reckon.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 31st Jul 2013 at 18:11

Pages (17): first .. 10 [11] 12 .. last