displaying posts 201 to 225 of 331

Pages (14): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last

Author Subject: Bianca Ratlye
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #201
The reason I sold the TVR was actually because I had much more fun driving this as you end up going 10/10ths when you want to. To say I was gutted when the hose popped out would be an understatement, having already had a near miss when the exhaust cam pulley rotated shortly after the cambelt.

I didn't really have any time to spare, so since it was taxed and MOT'd I just left it on the road (where some kind idiot hit it over new year, probably p**sed). With an impending house move I had to see whether she was genuinely bust or if I had to organise a car transporter, so I used that as motivation last night to get it full of water and run up. It's been up to fan temp and back down to stone cold again with no issues seemingly.

When it was working it was an absolute HOOT to drive on the road, the TranX diff is amazing. The pirellis have gone a little bit hard after all my time working away, but you can still exploit the massive ability of the diff on roundabouts.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 12th Feb 2014 at 07:32
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #202
Ok so time had marched on since it first dropped its coolant at 60. I had moved house (had to get my old one ready to rent - mission) and am about to move back from rented housing to my own place so will need to move it again. Been on holiday, got the golf, sold the HDi, had the inlaws over from SA etc. Time soon passes you by!

Ghetto.. I had it moved to Rugby on a transporter as I didnt dare risk it for the 60 quid it cost. I then had no real time to do anything with it due to unpacking etc until after my holiday - as the mrs is still in South Africa I seized the chance. Took rad off, realised that the feet were incorrect so swapped the rubbers out to elevate it a touch, refitted the original rallye lower hose not the one from the xsara engine (as there seemed to be a sharper point to the 3 prongs against which the clip sits), then made 125 percent sure the c-clip seated and also added a little jubilee though i'm not sure how much help it offers. Ive taken it out these last few nights and all seems well so far, done maybe 50 miles with no coolant issues. Why Peugeot didnt just fit a spring clip ill never know. To have done all that work and be scuppered by something so simple, and yet so difficult to do different was very frustrating. In fact the car on the whole was frustrating as it was firstly a cambelt issue, then a water pump issue, then the coolant issue, all stemming from a precautionary cambelt change. Even now the genuine water pump is quite noisy, but sod changing that again.

Lots of things I can be doing now without making a major mechanical change. it still has super flat paint but I can now start to give it tlc. I wont do too much to it mechanically as our house purchase completes next month and she will need to relocate up the road. Aim is just to keep doing a few miles here and there and keep checking. It has 100 percent water in atm which obviously needs changing. Has a few random clunks at low speed but ill work those out later!

Oh and some petrol on a rag worked wonders on the battle scarred rear quarter. Polisher up next!! Bumper deffo needs some touching up though, nobbers!

OK so I have started to take steps to make this thing look a bit more presentable. The car has had horrendous paint finish from the day I bought it, very matt with absolutely zero shine to it (except the drivers door which was changed early on). I had treated myself to a number of detailing products over Xmas with this car in mind, sort of a good benchmark to practice on. This will drag on over a few posts as I don't have the time in the evenings to do everything atm.

Lots of wonderful paint contaminants:

Went over the car with Auto Finesse Iron Out to get these sorts of things out.. Quite effective, and expected really: (Purple is iron based particulates reacting)

Even the wheels got in on the action, but this is of course expected given the immediate proximity to the brake pads..

Whilst waiting for the Iron Out to do it's thing I used some Auto Finesse Citrus Power bug and grime remove to go around the boot and clean all the moss and ming out of the shuts, and did the scuttle panel too which was growing things.

After that I whipped out my Megs G220 polished and used a Lake Country cutting pad with some Menzerna PF2500 to bring about some shine on the first panel. I popped the indicator out the front wing as I had the arch liner out anyway, and proceeded to turn this:

Into this:

Bit of a difference, and highlights what i'm faced with across the whole car. I called it a night here as I had other things to get on with. This is a 50/50 type shot on the roof after trying to polish a small spot..

See how the shine just completely disappears lol..

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 19:48
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #203
Good to see some progress on this Si Smile

So where abouts are you living now mate?

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:29
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #204
Looking good and getting better - looking forward to seeing updates. Good to see a few Rallye project threads getting updated atm.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:35
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #205
Living in Rugby now chap. I've only been working here 5.5 years so it's about time I moved over lol. It was sparked off by a promotion last year really, hence the Golf too as I am no longer doing mega miles. Big grin

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 13:12
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #206
Excellent work mate. My Rallye also suffers from dull paint and fade, hopefully will be able to bring some life back into it with a DA polisher and some 3M compound.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 13:20
mcvite

Regular

Post #207
Looking very nice mate Thumbs up

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q486/mcvite/
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 13:40
testacorsa

Post #208
That was a good read about a nice car, with a very nice subframe Smile

Shame about the cooling problems, but I'm glad you escaped any damage, but get that waterpump sorted!

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 18:33
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #209
Cheers for the kind words guys. It's been a long time coming to fruition, but with 21 months in South Africa in there I've not done too badly really. Had I known I was going for that long I would've sold it, not swapped engines!! The water pump is really annoying. I bought a genuine Peugeot one and i had an unbelievable dry bearing noise when warm. After swapping it for a warranty replacement it's better but not perfect. I'm not touching it atm!

It will be some time before it sees a show or a track - I have to build up trust in it, and in honest finish some parts of it off (i.e. secure the oil cooler lines further). I need to replace the passenger front wheel arch which popped out last year and subsequently shredded itself!

Tonights efforts consisted of a further coating of iron out (given the amount I found yesterday) left to dwell for 5 minutes whilst I went off to the shed to find my Smartwheels wheel cleaner to do the pass wheels and the hosepipe (epic wheel cleaner, leaves nothing behind when neat, 3:1 mostly good enough). Worryingly though there is a strong smell of fuel near the rear arch, so hopefully whatever was allowing fuel to leak previously is obvious(the irony is, he night i lost the coolant i was trying to deplete the fuel level to look for a leak that had appeared).

Much the same story as last night:

It took me the sum total of about 45 minutes to pull off the Rallye sticker on the bonnet (in little bits lol), but at least underneath is an example of virgin paint. The efforts on the front wing match it nicely, so I appear to have got it as good as can be with 2 layer paint.

I did find time to take it for a hoon though, another 15 miles on the clock and it's behaving itself nicely. It still seems to run very cool but I had noticed that previously. It's going to take a few nights to complete it in little steps, and the Mrs appears this weekend from SA so that's this weekend taken care of in advance!!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 19:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #210
Last night it lashed it down, so all I did was order some replacement slimline fans since a reputable dealer who built the car my equipment came from managed to fit two Spal blowers to the back of the rad... I kind of need this to work in conjunction with airflow if I intend to use it on a cooldown lap..

Tonight I found a spot of time after work to introduce the car to my friend Mr Clay:

Wore out half a clay bar in terms of maximum times you could fold over, with it repeatedly looking like this:

Since I then needed to hose the car down, I quickly managed to get some Auto Finesse Citrus Power Bug and Grime remover all around the boot shut (as brown crap comes out every time i pressure wash the car) and all around the rear 3/4 windows and petrol flap.

Before:

After:

That does me for tonight - took it for a little drive and all seems ok still, taking i to work tomorrow to show it off (whilst it's working lol). It's still early days and obviously will take some time to ensure i'm out of the woods.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 19:51
matt_w

Post #211
Just found this thread for the first time - what a transformation from page 1! The car is a real credit to you, keep up the good work
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 12:01
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #212
Looking good Si, keep it up mate.

Coming a long way in terms of cleanliness from the mouldy boot shuts etc Laugh

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 14:09
mcvite

Regular

Post #213
Looking good mate,perseverance will eventually pay off,well done Thumbs up

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q486/mcvite/
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 14:33
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #214
Is busy lashing down outside but still remains so obvious which panel has been polished thus far lol.

cheers for the words, going to be mainly cleaning type updates coming in the next few weeks. House move coming!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 17:31
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #215
Lovely Rallye, don't break it - sell it....to me Big grin

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 18:02
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #216
Not for sale, but if i decide to it would probably go whole for the sake of ease!!

Top tip - save interior jobs for rainy days!

Given it was completely lashing it down I set out to complete some interior jobs - i.e. find why my centre console didn't light up. It's a little different than my HDi was, and given none of the 4 bulbs lit up I expected to find it unplugged (as with everything else on this car, formerly owned by a muppet), but to my surprise all 4 bulbs were blown. Fortunately, having scrapped numerous heaps of s**t over the years i've amassed a few of the correct bulb, and managed to sort this out pretty easily.

Bombsite:

Light at the end of the tunnel:

Seen the light:

Afterwards I took the clocks out to find why I had dark spots at 40, and 5000RPM as per this pic:

The two bulbs looked ok on visual inspection, but failed continuity - in the bin they went and in go two more spares:

Success! Another two minor jobs off the list.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 19:53
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #217
tvrfan007 wrote:

Light at the end of the tunnel:

Seen the light:

One of my jobs to do over the weekend too. Been putting it off for a while now so got to get it done while I wire in the gauges.
Cars tidying up pretty well, keep up the good work Thumbs up

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url &amp; =
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 21:03
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #218
On a 6 with ac its perhaps just the two weird bulbs that twist on from the back of the bulb holder, my hdi had those. These are 4 off bulbs like the ones in the dash clocks, that pull out the holders... Only they had been there a while and I could barely get my child like hands in the corners to pull those two out lol, did it gingerly with pliers.

She is starting to take shape!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 25th Apr 2014 at 21:19
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #219
I had a spot of time yesterday so though i'd tackle the bonnet. It had been destickered previously, ignore the bottom left corner - my mate did that on a whim about 6 months ago to see if it would shine nicely.

Masked up 50%

Polishing done and a few 50:50 shots to show what i've been trying to correct.

After that I polished the other half but naturally the fading light made it a little difficult to see. It's difficult with white polish on a white car.

So took advantage of the nice weather today, and have spent all day outside. Mostly in the garden though, but found a bit of time for the Rallye. Today I bring you more proof that this car was formerly owned by a bodge artist of epic proportions....

I refitted the front arch liner and cleaned the front wheel up whilst it was off, then set about finding out why I had been losing fuel - but only when filling up. I had noticed, though couldn't fathom why, that the leak was proportional to how much I pulled the trigger on the fuel pump!!

As per earlier posts I had already changed the filler elbow for a new one, so I knew it wasn't that. The arch liner was already off, so having a quick sniff in the wheel arch I got a suspicious whiff of fuel halfway up the filler. Only one thing for it, off it comes....

Of course, this is the bit where one and one come together...

Oh look, there is some very professional looking masking tape there... clearly OEM... I must investigate further...

Oh deary me, the masking tape was hiding a massive blob of epoxy, which you can guarantee has been attacked by the petrol.. What a bodge..

So why is there a hole there? Well my friend, that one I do have the answer to... I have a roll cage.. which bolts to the rear wheel arches... which someone's obviously drilled with no regard for what was in the arch!!

I'm at a loss for words.. so this pic sums it up for me:

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 19:55
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #220
Today was a slow day. I was meant to go to work but couldn't be arsed so sacked it off. Managed to get a bit done on the car at least, but as ever i'm avoiding major mechanical jobs as I don't want to immobilise it before a house move!

So, time to sort out the dodgy rear washer jet. It had worked once, but recently the pump just whirred away and nothing happened. I needed to take the spoiler off anyway to sort out a couple of spots of rust, so off she came:

Quick scrub of the shut, again there was more ming growing in here. Auto Finesse Citrus Power again.

So, whilst that was taking effect, I stuck a big needle into the washer jet.. it spurted some black filth out at me like a tube of paste lol.

So, in with the needle again, only this time it spat at me like a naughty child!

After this it still wasn't pumping, so off with the nozzle! Quick wash in a bucket and tap it on the roof...

Nice! Put it back together and... ta-da!

I suspect it was just bacterial growth, from the stagnant screenwash sitting in the tube for so long whilst I was in Africa. We get it with oil systems at work quite a lot, where the conditions are just right for bacteria to propagate.

So, touched up these spots of rust quickly whilst I was there:

And took the lights out to clean all the moss and ming out!

After that, I hoovered an absolute ton of s**t out the back! Bit more respectable now. Smile And that'll do for tonight.

Short of continuing to polish it, not much more I can do now without taking big stuff apart.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:14
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #221
In case you get blocked washer jets again, soaking them in vinegar tends to remove whatever's in there, be that gunk or dried up washer fluid.

Looking good!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 5th May 2014 at 19:57
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #222
It all came out fine. No bothers. Smile

More fun and games this evening:

I set about finishing off polishing the bonnet, as I thought it could be a bit better than it was before.

Nice and shiny

So I thought given that i've finished the front driver wing and the bonnet, I may as well protect them from the daily crap that's reaching the car..

Time for the Werkstat Acryclic Kit. Prime goes on first as a base prep layer, Jett goes over the top as an acrylic sealant, and Glos to finish it off with a top coat.

After all, it's motorsport intended... even says so on the labels!

Comes out with a cracking top shine, massive transformation from the tippex finish it had before.

Wink

After that, mundane job of sorting out my oil cooler pipe routing through the front of the arch and replacement of the broken arch liner on the front passenger corner.

Wheel off for a good clean with Autosmart smart wheels! Epic epic epic wheel cleaner, nothing it doesn't shift even on it's 'weak' 3:1 dilution ratio.

Nonetheless, broken one out!

New one in!

And that does me for this evening! Waiting on my replacement filler neck now from eddy. Smile

Oh, one last thing.. here's the damage to the rear left corner from Christmas after seeing some petrol on a rag - massive improvement. Not even seen the polisher yet this corner. Big grin

Becomes:

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 23rd Nov 2017 at 20:18
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #223
Looking great, top work Love

I keep catching that dent in the bonnet when i look, sort it out quick haha! Razz

Just Drive It
Posted 6th May 2014 at 21:20
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #224
Hadn't even noticed that tbh. I'll never get the bodywork mint, but it'll look respectable. The neighbour at my old house was an absolute c**t, and when I was in South Africa he was flinging his wheely bin lid against the car so there are deep scratches all the way along the top left hand side.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 6th May 2014 at 21:25
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #225
Anyone any tips for removing the rallye stickers quickly? Mine don't seem up for coming off willingly.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 6th May 2014 at 21:30

Pages (14): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last