displaying posts 1 to 25 of 28

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Silver (fox) ph1 GTi from Denmark - daily/semi ring tool project
testacorsa

Post #1
Hi all!

I've been reading on here for a while, and finally I got my own 306 GTi, so thought I would start a little project thread.

There are not many GTi's about in Denmark, and even fewer ph1's, which had to be the one I wanted, ofcourse Roll eyes

I looked for a while, and finally got tired of that, and got the only one for sale, and what you could call a project car with 200.000 miles on the clocks - so only just broken in Big grin
The car has no history what so ever, and I have no idea if it still has the original engine/box.

It doesn't look too bad, and all the wear indicator stuff like the seats, is in pretty good nick.
No doubt it was loved in the past, but it has had 3 owners in two years, which has taken it's toll.
It drives ok, but has completely knackered brakes, with sticking calipers and 3 different tires Huh?

There is plenty of those little things to do, like rattles, knocks, missing bulbs in the instruments, misaligned doors etc etc.

Anyways... here he is:

Sorry about the lack of photos - I completely forgot to take more.

The plan is to take this to the ring in the summer. I never did any car racing, but a lot of gokarting, but all my mates traded theirs in for wives, houses and babies, so I decided to start looking for a track day toy instead. I am now 38, and have had this dream for many many years, so why I never got going before, I just don't know - but better late than never, aye?

I got home late with the car, due to driving very slow, as the brakes kept overheating and rattling my teeth loose. I got out of bed again good and early, earger to get a better look. I took it to my little garage that I have rented for 10 the past years now, about 25km / 15 miles from Aarhus, where I live.
It's in the country, with plenty of fresh air, and always fresh coffee and cakes being served from the wife - love that place Smile

I started with a wash, including stripping all the door, boot and window seals. I was surprised about the amount of crap that was behind those.

Seems clean enough...

No wait...

Ahh... much better Smile

I dicovered a bit of rust under the tail lights as well. The lights seem to rest on only two small tabs, which will slowly bite their way into the paint, eventually causing rust.
Crappy design, but what can you do? I attacked it with a dremel, and small sand paper disks, treated it with turtle rust treatment, and good ole hammerite anti rust.

I was very sceptical about hammerite, when I forst tried it, but my siters old rusty 1994 micra got a lot of rust treated like I just did with the 306, and two years on, the rust hasn't come back! That really impressed me, as it wasn't even painted on top, and some of it was on the wheel arches. Last time around, it got a few (new) spots treated again, and I tried some presto zink primer this time - also brushed on, and it rusted through in a matter of weeks No
I guess you can't expect any primer to be water tight, but the hammerite anti rust is, and it works.
A little tip by the way: just use acetone as thinners, instead of the expensive hammerite thinners; it works just as well for me, and costs pennies Thumbs up

That's it for now - more to come later Smile

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 13:44
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Here is his English brother!

Posted 18th Apr 2014 at 22:27
testacorsa

Post #3
That looks minty fresh Smile

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 18th Apr 2014 at 22:44
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Diablo Phase 1 here.

Despite the high miles yours is looking nice, I'm sure with some work on the mechanicals you'll have a great car to enjoy!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 18th Apr 2014 at 23:48
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Looking very nice Thumbs up

Do you get the heated seats in the Danish 6?

Just Drive It
Posted 18th Apr 2014 at 23:53
mcvite

Regular

Post #6
Nice looking phase 1 gti you have purchased there mate,enjoy Thumbs up

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q486/mcvite/
Posted 19th Apr 2014 at 05:09
testacorsa

Post #7
Thanks for the kind comments Smile

rallyestyle wrote:
Looking very nice Thumbs up

Do you get the heated seats in the Danish 6?

yep it does have heated seats, and they even work. First Peugeot I've ever had with both heated seats AND central locking working Smug LOL

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 19th Apr 2014 at 07:40
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
For the mileage that looks in great condition. Good luck sorting all the issues. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 19th Apr 2014 at 09:02
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I bet the heated seats are lovely!

Posted 19th Apr 2014 at 09:20
testacorsa

Post #10
So, another day in the garage went by Saturday.
I spend more that 8 hours out there, but got a bit less done than expected.
It was just one of those days, where things didn't go quite to plan.

The day started good though, and I started it by opening the presents I got for it, and took a photo Smile

I got parts from both kfzteile.de and aepdirect.com.
I hadn't ordered by aep before, and was a bit nervous, as I had decided to get the majority there, because they supposedly only stock OEM parts, and pretty cheap too. The parts arrived quickly, and both oilfiler, and rear disks came in peugeot boxes. The discs were NOS, but with only very minor rust spots. Only thing was the rear brake pads, which were from apec, which I haven't heard of before. All in all pretty satisfied.
Kfzteile.de is the cheapest German online part store that I know of. They have both very cheap (read: crap) parts, and OE stuff. The rear caliper repair kits were for 30mm pistons, and not 32mm, but other than that no faults. I have shopped there 10 times or so now, and only two minor mistakes have been made.

I wanted to change the gear box oil, as I couldn't use 2nd gear until the oil was warm - it just wouldn't go in, without really forcing it to. I have learned my lesson from earlier PSA cars, and got the only oil I ever found to work, the specified 70w80.
I wanted to order 3 liters, but it must have slipped my mind, as the receipt only said two, so it’s running a bit low now, as nothing came out of the level checker hole.
I expected muddy oil to come out, because of the bad gear changes, but instead the finest honey ran out Shock
Lyckily the oil must have been the typical 75w90 or something, because the gears changed a lot better with the new oil right away - pheeew.

Then I decided to change the thermostat and the coolant to the new red stuff.
It's important to flush the system very well, as the two types of coolant don't mix, and supposedly turn to a gelly like substance. So of the old thermostat went, along with the housing, as it was gunked up by the seals.

I checked both the old and the new thermostat in hot water, and the old one worked just fine, but the gasket was very old and cracked, so I decided to change it all.

I then soaked the housing in boiling water with citric acid, so loosen up the gunk and lime scale, which always works nicely. The citric acid will clean copper and brass too, just don’t leave it in for too long...
I carefully scraped the stuff of with a screwsriver, taking only what had become loose, and the then soaked and repeated, untill it was clean.

I then put it all together again, with the new thermostat, and filled with hot tap water. I started the car, and bled the system, and drove a few miles, and drained the water again. I was actually going to do a descaling/degreasing with dishwasher tabs, followed by citric acid, then clean water, but decided it wasn’t nessesary by the looks of the cylinder head water outlet.

I then set up a way to flush the system. I took the upper hose off on the thermostat housing, and put a garden hose up into it. I blanked the exposed outlet with a piece of hose stuffed shut with a rubber thingy and a bolt. Then i turned on the taps, and let the water run for a few minutes. I had both the radiator cap, and the buttom drain off. The water was a bit rusty, but soon cleared.

I then bled the system again, started the car, let it get hot, and drained and flushed for a last time.

I had to cut a new gasket, because I forgot to get one, but it all went together well.
Then things started to go wrong, as I started bonking Tired, as I didn’t bring any food along, because I was just out to do a few quick fixes Roll eyes

I filled the radiator with coolant and destilled water 50/50 mix, and started the car, but I completely forgot to loosen the bleed screw on the thermostat housing, so the car got hot for a while. God knows how hot, but it was enough to make me paranoid about the head gasket. When i loosened the bleed screw on the heater matrix, it steamed out under pretty high pressure, but as i realized my brain fart, and loosed the thermostat housing bleed screw, the car swallowed a lot of coolant after a short while in blind panic. I used a coke bottle with an o-ring, which worked a treat, and it held itself, as long as there was something in it.

The biggest scare was when the car, after i bled it, steamed out of the exhaust Cry
Thinking back, I think it must have been sprayed in to the throttlebody by the heater matrix bleed screw, when I bled it. I saw oil in the water too, but that could have been the new fluid cleaning old stuff out.

I did not sleep well that night, and the next day the car gurgled when cold, so I was afraid the gasket had actually gone. I drove almost 200 miles yesterday, and had no time to bleed again before setting off. I didn't take it easy on it, because I was so mad about it all.
The whole family was together at my moms, for an Easter lunch, and I promised my brother in law, that he could take it for a blast. Somehow the system then bled itself, and the car never even got up to 90 degrees, and fell down to a steady 84 for cruising. It hasn't used any coolant either. I think I might have gotten away with it, but I'm a bit of a wreck still Dunno

The car drives better, since I changed the thermostat, so that is a plus. The temperatures have gone up by about 3-4 degrees, so I guess the fuel mixture is a bit leaner by that operating temperature, and burns better. Thumbs up

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 12:37
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Lots of good work going on here. As others have said, clean looking car, should polish up nicely.

Hope you got away with the coolant problem - when I changed my coolant the first time I couldn't make it bleed through initially even though the bleed screws were open. Ended up pouring some of it in through the top hose which is what I should have done to start with.

When I changed the gearbox oil I asked Peugeot dealer how much to put in, and the dealer was definite that 2L was all that was needed to fill it to the correct level - there will still be 100+mls in the cavities and clinging to the inside of the gearbox even after draining it, so filling it with 2L will mean there is more than 2L in there. That was 3 years ago so I'll change it again this year I think.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 11:52
testacorsa

Post #12
Thanks Mik.

Makes sense to pour some coolant in at the top. I will keep that in mind for next time.

I also read several places that 2L should be enough, but the level check did say otherwise.
How much short it is, is hard to tell though, but probably not very much - not enough to harm anything anyways.
Yeah, changing again after 3 years is probably not a bad idea, as it's pretty easy to do, compared to changing synchros!

Done a bit of stuff today already. The weather was nice, the sun was out, and it was pretty warm, so
I decided to go back inside and solder some stuff LOL

I had no light in the window switches, and the electric mirrors didn't work.
So I started with the mirror "joystick", and had a tough time finding out why that one didn't work Hmm

Cleaned that up with an old toothbrush, and some of this stuff:

It's really the best stuff I know of for old electronics. Kontakt 60+ (the + is important)both cleans, makes better connections, and protects against corrotion.

I then took apart the window switches, and found small bulbs inside, that were all past it. I had no way of knowing which size was the correct one, but luckily I found this thread. I went out and got three 12v 60mA bulbs, and changed them out. The two switches for the passenger windows, were very easy as the don't need to be soldered.

lift the top of with a small screwdriver

Take a pair of small pliers, and gently persuade the yellow insert out

Then unwrap the old bulb, and wrap the new one in. The legs on the new bulbs were too short, so i had to cut two new slots, so they could reach.

The drivers side window switch had to get the bulb soldered in, but it was pretty straight forward.
The light came back on, and the light were working, but 60mA seems like a bit much on the drivers side switch, as it is much brighter that the others.

What is pretty weird though, is that the two switches in the drivers door, work in opposite ways;
A push in one direction make one window go up, while it means down on the other Confused.
It's not as simple as rotating one of the switches, as there are non symmetrical slots for them in the door card, so they only go in one way.
Is that normal??

The drivers side switch is also very easy to push down, while the others offers some resistance, and have that nice comforting "click". Pedantic stuff? yep! Blush - but it's bloody annoying!

The mirror switch worked a treat - sort off. I can go up/down on the drivers side, and left/right on the pass. side, but when I open the door, I can go left/right on the drivers side too, but the left speaker stops working LOL
- Door loom time, I guess...

I also had an intermittent airbag light coming on, but that one was nice and easy; Pulled the plug under the seat apart, sprayed with kontakt 60+ = problem gone Clapping

Now out for a blast in the nice weather, but maybe go round to pump the left rear tire first, as it looses one bar of pressure over night Razz

P.S. If someone has a set of the 15" inch wheel trims that came on the S16 or the 5 door XSi in the UK (I believe)
I am interested in those, if they are in (very) good condition, so please come forward Smile
I need a few other bits and bobs as well, like the fogs, heated seat switches and such small stuff.

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 22nd Apr 2014 at 15:15
testacorsa

Post #13
Haven't updated in a while, because this happened Cry

I was gutted to say the least, and felt like kicking the shid out of the stupid teenage rampage deer that decided to play chicken with me, and lost out big time. It hit directly in the middle of the front, just after I had let of the gas, doing a mini spint from 0 - 4rd gear. Luckily the deer died instantly, and the damage could have been much worse, if it had hit the windscreen, and a-pillars too.
That said, a lot got ruined. Bonnet, both headlights, grill, hockey sticks, radiator, fan, bumper, aux lights, and number plate (70£ a piece in Denmark - not even kidding!) Doh

It stood for a few days, as I didn't feel like doing anything to it at all. All the work I just did, was ruined. I had just had the front apart for cleaning, and a few spot repairs, including taking the headlights apart, and shining those up. And of course the fresh new coolant ran out too Angry

Well... "dry your eyes mate", and so I did, and found a little silver 1,4 in Germany for 200 Euro!
Cars in all other countries in europe are just so dirt cheap compared to Denmark.
It had a decent front end, including the double reflector headlamps, with height adjustment.

I borrowed a friends E60 530d and a trailer which must have been tailored around a 306, as it fit with 0,5cm to spare each side, and 5cm to the rear. Everything went smooth, and I got the 1350km (840 miles) done in 17 hours total, which wasn't too bad. That BMW just eats that autobahn - lovely car!

So this was 4 days ago, and now I have a 3 months old Nissens radiator, and a diablo front bumper coming, hopefully this week - so getting there Smile

I got started yesterday, taking the face of the 1,4. It definitely hasn't been washed much, as it had a thick layer of dirt, especially in every gap, which had literally grown together. I took the new headlights apart (de ja vu), and gave those a good clean. It was a bit of a struggle to get the reflector out, but it finally popped, by prying it out with two paint mixer sticks, and holding the light between my legs.

The two adjustment points can be unhooked with a thin long screwdriver There are small locking pins, that have to be levered out, but the last fixing point I had to use force, as I couldn't reach the locking pin on that one.

The reflectors had a hazy look to them, just as the last set of headlight i cleaned out did Roll eyes
Even though the lights are more or less sealed, they have air vents, where stuff will get in, including oil fumes from the engine.
It's a bit hard to photograph, and the difference is even bigger as what you can see in the photo - so well worth doing!

Last time I did this, I was surprised how fragile the reflective layer was, and I managed to polish some of it off.
This time, I was really careful, and only used a damp microfiber cloth, and soapy water. That did just fine, and I finished them of by cafefully polishing them with a towel.

One of the frames had lost most its chrome:

So I got this foil I knew from work. Its a bit thick, and can't be heat wrapped like the kind you would wrap a car or a van in.
But I gave it a go, and it turned out pretty nice. Behind the glass, it's even better than the other frame which was in pretty good nick

Face transplant good to go Thumbs up

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 9th May 2014 at 12:21
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Oh mate, wounded for you. Was reading it with great interest. Seems you have as much luck as I do.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 7th May 2014 at 19:19
gretsch-drummer

Regular

Post #15
Nooooooo!

You're fixing it up right?

Ph1 Cossack 6'
Posted 7th May 2014 at 20:04
testacorsa

Post #16
Thanks Si - hopefully this thread will pick up in a more interesting direction again Smile

@gretsch... It will get fixed - or at least I'm working in that direction, but I'm not expecting anything these days.
I have had a fair bit of bad luck lately, and ironically I knew this accident was coming - well not exactly, but I just had a gut feeling that something was bound to happen.

In other news... I just scored a set of these puppies:

They are super light! - ghetto OZ super leggera FTW Clapping
32 ish £ for the set hihi

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 7th May 2014 at 21:59
mechanical_repairs

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Bugger, always sad to see, are you going to repair?

Carl

C.G.Cars of Leicester, Peugeot/Citroen/Renault specialist Tel: 01162 624498/07799 405184 WWW.CGCARSLEICESTER.CO.UK
36 narborough road south, Leicester LE3 2fn

MOT station now open, tests £35 with a free retest.
Recovery available with a recovery unit, for those not so local jobs

Also offer the loan of a free courtesy car 306 dturbo
Posted 7th May 2014 at 20:55
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Where did you learn the expression "brain fart"? I don't hear it often but I laughed when I saw that, it is normally UK/Australian specific. Mind you a lot of Danes sound like English native speakers with English-sounding accents and everything, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Gutted for you about the accident, but at least the whole car wasn't FUBARed. Love your attention to detail in putting it back together.

I've got a set of "ghetto superleggeras" on my car, which is a Rallye so I thought they went with the Rallye lightweight ethos. Are you going to paint them? I did mine in Peugeot Iron Grey, which goes well with my Cherry Red car. And with the spare as well that is almost 19kg lighter, most of it off the unsprung weight.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 7th May 2014 at 20:58
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
mechanical_repairs wrote:
Bugger, always sad to see, are you going to repair?

Carl

Thought that's what he's doing with the 1.4 to cannibalise?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 7th May 2014 at 21:00
testacorsa

Post #20
Thanks chaps Smile
Yep, the 1,4 is the organ donor.

Haha, I don't know where i picked that up Mik, but it's a good expression that really paints a picture.
Yeah, we Danes have a lot of English lessons, starting in the 3rd grade already, so most of us "young ones" usually know the language pretty well. I don't sound like a native Englishman though - far from it.

I think I'm going to use XSi hubcaps, and just paint the rims black. - If I can find any, that is.

It's not to anyone's taste, but to me they look nice, and very french. I actually spent hours figuring out what kind of alloys they were, until I finally found out, that they where wheel trims Blush Big grin

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 7th May 2014 at 21:42
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Really gutted about the accident...fortunately if the chassis legs aren't bent it is just a case of putting new, unbroken bits on really so not too bad.

Oh, and great tip on using foil wrap of some sort in the lights! I took mine apart and cleaned them up but a refresh like that would really look great! You can buy the indicators for really cheap through UK ebay/Carparts4less. I'll definitely be taking my lights apart again and freshening them up!

Posted 8th May 2014 at 10:25
ozonehostile

Junior User

Post #22
Lovely attention to detail, hope you didn't break anything too important in the deer incident!

Current Peugeot stable:

'99 306 gti6
'02 306 hdi estate
'97 306 Dturbo
'94 106 rallye 16v
Posted 8th May 2014 at 10:50
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Oh Deer...

Glad to see you're repairing it though. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 8th May 2014 at 13:21
testacorsa

Post #24
@retropug Thanks man. Yeah the foil worked fine, just hope it will handle the heat inside. Thanks for the tip on indicators. Aepdirect have some for cheap too.

@ozonehostile (what a name - lol) Thanks. I am a bit of a perfectionist sometimes, so It's a bit hard for me to own a 200.000 mile shed Big grin

@aaron Indeed! Smile I'm not giving up on that thing, before it has at least one lap on the ring on it!

My silver Fox thread

My wanted add
Posted 9th May 2014 at 19:10
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
testacorsa wrote:
@retropug Thanks man. Yeah the foil worked fine, just hope it will handle the heat inside. Thanks for the tip on indicators. Aepdirect have some for cheap too.

@ozonehostile (what a name - lol) Thanks. I am a bit of a perfectionist sometimes, so It's a bit hard for me to own a 200.000 mile shed Big grin

@aaron Indeed! Smile I'm not giving up on that thing, before it has at least one lap on the ring on it!

I think I'm going to use the aluminium mirror tape stuff that is for heat reflection...should withstand the heat and look good. I had a peek through my glass today and the frames of mine have both completely lost their chrome.

Lap the ring...you won't regret it!

Posted 9th May 2014 at 20:46

Pages (2): [1] 2