displaying posts 101 to 113 of 113

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]

Author Subject: Wayne, don't look, shiny things.
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
So in buying these you could almost negate the need for bigger torsion bars? Unsure

Just Drive It
Posted 11th Sep 2009 at 05:03
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
Well, you get the effect of going up just over 1mm on the torsion bars, as I said, great if you're only lowering the car 30-40mm Smile

Edit - the later tweak to get more adjustment from the nitrogen pressure will be a free retrofit upgrade for these dampers anyway, if you want it, it's just some higher temperature seals I'm having made for the reservoirs.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 11th Sep 2009 at 05:13
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #103
Clear as dish water phil Razz
Basically spring rate is adjustable......... But only you can adjust it LOL

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 11th Sep 2009 at 05:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
Pretty much - you can fine tweak it with the gas pressure if you like, but mainly it'll just let you get the rear ride height spot on more than anything.

When I get the new seals made up, you should be able to get 30lbs/inch from the gas pressure at it's highest, if you want it, but be aware that adjusting gas pressure on a damper changes other characteristics of the damper - I can advise on the best compromise for each specific application for that anyway.

Basically, it's like the shim stacks - can you adjust them?
Yes.
Does it change the way the damper works?
Yes.
Do I recommend you do it yourself without some advice?
Errr....LOL

It's easier just to have the spring mech. changed for spring rate changes, but like I say, if you want advice on a gas pressure change, just shout.

If I've confused anyone - look, shiny dampers, tell me what rate you want and I'll set it! LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 11th Sep 2009 at 06:01
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
phillipm wrote:

If I've confused anyone - look, shiny dampers, tell me what rate you want and I'll set it! LOL

Laugh

I think i will play safe, sort the front out how i want it and then get you to sort the rears out to match that Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 11th Sep 2009 at 14:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
Well, if you spec. the spring rate assist (you don't have to have it), then basically the assist levels are are 15lb/inch, 25lb/inch
or 50lb/inch.

Then, if you like, you can fine tune the rate with the gas pressure up or down by ~10lb/inch.

edit: Spring rates updated.

Email me!
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 23:52
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
Can you make it so the standard torsion bars work to a point, then the spring rate assist takes over, kind of like a progressive spring? Bit softer for the start of the travel, getting firmer the more travel you have? Or would you end up with a soft spring rate turning immediatey to a 'hard' spring rate, followed by severe oversteer into a wall?

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 23:43
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #108
It'd require some parts making, and it's doable, but I'd be concerned about getting it to come in accuratly as there would be no preload on the system in the 'soft' bit which would normally take out any slack. Hmm

edit again:
Think it's possible, but the extra parts would be about ~

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:10
puglover Banned!

Post #109
thats kinda what i was thinking but more use the air springs on a preload and progress into fat torsion bars so its softish and taken care off with small bumps but anything big like taking a corner is nicely firmed up.
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:17
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #110
Yours should to some extent because of how low it is on the torsion bars.

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:17
puglover Banned!

Post #111
so when do you want some money off me then LOL
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #112
When I've finished building them back up LOL
Just waiting on the Nitrogen bottle @ the workshops getting refilled at the weekend and they should be ready to go.

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 01:47
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
Picture of the standard length ones, with shorter body + shaft.

Email me!
Posted 7th Oct 2009 at 07:21

Pages (5): first .. 3 4 [5]