displaying posts 76 to 100 of 280

Pages (12): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last

Author Subject: Custom Cages at discount rates!
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #76
I can get the measurements off the other hoops if you like guys.
It's alright them saying send the shell to them, but then you've got to pay to have it shipped to them, have it rectified, and then find a slot to have it fitted again, and lose your week of work for sorting it out too LOL

I might be able to do something with the spare hoop materials, depends if I get time, it set the cage back a fair bit what with having to install it twice Whistle

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 17:43
rikky 🦔

Post #77
i want to see bono's! i don't think the problem is massive, it's just not how i expected it and you look at the diagram on the site... Blink

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 17:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
The main hoop is OK Jim, the a-pillar hoops kink inwards before they meet the front of the roof, and hence miss the shell by miles before coming back in to touch about halfway along the top of the door.

The tunnel brace that goes to the main hoop has too much bend on it however, so it needs 3 degrees taking off both bends otherwise it doesn't come anywhere near fitting the main hoop - it's about 2 inches short, once fettled and the ends feathered with a soft pad it's a good fit though:

Like I say, they'll be a decent cage when fitted right, just needs a lot more fettling than normal to get it fitting.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:07
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #79
the cage on Lee Etches's Touring car go to the front turrets and clears the stock wiper motor fine, did notice it was a rose jointed linkage LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
It's these two kinks they've put in here:

That are the problem, there's too much rotation between them and the main bends, so the fire the corner between them out into the middle of the car.

Unfortunately it looks like Rikky got the short end of the stick by buying his before everyone else, he got to be their test dummy I think Doh

Email me!
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:15
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
i have pics! unfortunately i left before i saw your post about wiper motor. i forgot my camera lead Sad so i can't upload them till tonight, but the A pillars follow the shell perfectly, no kinks

///M5
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
So your a-pillars are the same as the ones I've made then?

Quality control at it's finest Doh

I shall see what the motor fits like tommorow, rebuilding some Bilstiens today I'm afraid Smile

Email me!
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #83
woo! pics! Ninja

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 18:44
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #84
What, of farked Bilstien parts? LOL

Email me!
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 22:20
rikky 🦔

Post #85
phillipm wrote:
I shall see what the motor fits like tommorow

and i shall be bashing it with a hammer if i cant get my motor back in LOL i hope it does anyway Unsure bonos maxi / martins maxi is alright

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 22:30
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
Well, your bars end closer to the shell with the a-pillars, so it should be better if anything

Email me!
Posted 8th Jul 2009 at 22:32
rikky 🦔

Post #87
bono has shown me his, looks like it should, but his cage was fitted at Custom Cages many moons ago and so i bet they made it fit right there and then, prior to the off the shelf kits being produced. since then like phil says maybe the material has changed but bending techniques not altered thus resulting in ovrly bent tubing somewhere, or some other reason. either way they havent been checked to a shell for a long time and are subsequently all wrong (apparently)

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:34
puglover Banned!

Post #88
doesnt really surprise me, most things which come flatpack dont fit for shit. its almost expected to have to make them fit yourself.

phill seems to be doing a good job though Smile
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #89
Doh

I'm just making sure it's fitted properly is all Smile
Made sure everything fits as close as possible so it can be stitch welded to the shell, and I've pre-stressed the main hoops and doorbars so the structure is stiffer, and it helps the shell stay in shape in any minor offs, just in case.
There's a few area's I'd put some extra tubes in if it was my own cage but that's for another day LOL

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:42
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #90
rikky wrote:
bono has shown me his, looks like it should

Of good length too! LOL

///M5
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:36
rikky 🦔

Post #91
i must admit bono i will be taking more care cutting my dash up than you did LOL you have savaged it without a care, i will be being careful for i am an arteest

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:38
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #92
i wanted it to be neat, but getting a dash back in is a complete arse, i just gave up and let loose with the jigsaw.
My hint for getting the dash back on with the bar behind it is go at the dash with a blowtorch, get the plastic nice and squishy then ram it into place, screw down and you have a bespoke smooth fit item Wink

///M5
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:41
rikky 🦔

Post #93
dash is flocked. i am not taking a blowtorch anywhere near it LOL woulda' been a good idea to cut to shape beforehand but hey nevermind

i literally have nothing behind it though, i'm hoping it aids fitting a bit. all the plastic from behind the glovebox etc is cut away and all the relays are relocated so not in the way either

gotta see where phil puts this dash bar yet, that will be interesting cos i don't see how that will clear the wiring but we'll see

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:45
bono

Seasoned Pro

Post #94
it's the windscreen air ducts that are most in the way.

///M5
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #95
rikky wrote:

gotta see where phil puts this dash bar yet, that will be interesting cos i don't see how that will clear the wiring but we'll see

I can tweak it a bit to where you want it if you have somewhere specific in mind, within reason, so long as it meets the cage at the bend on either side it'll be the same strength-wise.

Personally I would have had it running across the top of the dash and bent to fit the windscreen but there's no way this one they've supplied can go there, has to go through the steering column shroud as per bono's, or just above.

It'd've been nearly as fast just to make you a custom cage LOL

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:49
rikky 🦔

Post #96
to be honest i've cut a lot from behind away as all the matrix is gone anyway and its a minimal wiring loom too so really nowt there. the actual moulded area for the main centre vent on the rear of the dash is there but can be chopped out easily, which i may do tonight in that case

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:49
rikky 🦔

Post #97
i dunno phil, but this is my dash's rear:

http://www.rikky.net/upload/dash_rear.jpg

Hmm

all that wiring is tucked up nicely now and out of the way. i'll be cutting the other palstic bits out but trying not to disturb the mounting area in the middle

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 01:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #98
Looks like it should just go if it's in the same place as Bono's then.

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 02:04
rikky 🦔

Post #99
wow i am struggling to come to terms with how much MORE dash has to come out. nearly all that bottom bar needs to be chopped, or atleast the corners to clear the cage i think, all the sides Sad and i'll have to put a cut in it to clear the vents.. Sad looks like i'll be cutting it and reflocking it Doh

Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 02:07
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #100
Got one of these in stock Whistle

Email me!
Posted 9th Jul 2009 at 02:10

Pages (12): first .. 3 [4] 5 .. last