Post #152
No still no luck yet mate. Angry

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 01:10
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #153
Do you have problems engaging every gear or just selective gears?
Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 01:16
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #154
The gearbox feels fine 90% of the time and i can easily select every gear, but when it all starts acting up i cant select any Wink

I did try spacing the clutch cable out by fixing a nut into the end of the cable and it's helped it a bit, i.e doesnt happen as often now Hmm

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 01:20
hman205

Regular

Post #155
did you try to see if there was any movement when under load?

Another Broken one

Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 01:49
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #156
There's fook all movement mate, trust.

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 02:58
mabgti

NV motors

Post #157
I had this problem when i had a bent linkage... very hard to tell... but when the engine warmed up.. the link bent a little more and it would be harder to get in gear..

swapped with a set of MILES solid ones and its been ok...

i do have a worn clutch cable which is due for removalYes but i also noticed that the subframe pivot was worn causing a little notchiness!

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 00:35
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #158
mabgti wrote:

but i also noticed that the subframe pivot was worn causing a little notchiness!

It's more than a little notchiness,Worst thing I found was was trying to engage the lower gears (coming down),feels as if the travel of the linkage is going past its limit.i.e as if the the cap is going past the holder.I gave it a bit of a boot through the whole range goes like a good one it's a bit floppy on the stick ,but I've never driven one with a quickshift so I can't compare it.Sorry I havn't got back to you on this will but I've been up to my pits in stuff.

pet hate, the cat
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 00:55
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #159
Going on what Martin has said I would suggest checking the join under the gearstick. If there is play it could explain the "floppy" feeling and maybe why it wont select as it should.

The only other suggestion I would have is to check that the cable is fitted 100% correct (I'm sure you have). Check it is in all it's clips on the subframe and that the rubber bit going through the bulkhead is sat in correctly.

I did have a similar fault on a 205 and the grommet looking part had popped back out of the bulkhead giving the inconsistent feeling.

good luck

Ryan
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 01:30
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #160
Marty, the gearstick feels much better now i;ve removed the quickshift, and i've now got Miles's adjustable group N rods. Feels much 'tighter' now so at least thats something Wink

Thanks Ryan, the gromet you mentioned that goes into the bulkhead - i noticed when fitting the cable both times it wouldn't slot in properly so it isn't flush with the bulkhead.

Never thought something so small could cause this, but now as you say it happened on your 205 i'll try plug it in properly.

Trouble is the master cylinder is right in the way Hmm

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 03:15
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #161
neeh, that's the servo not the MC, you can reach up from the r.h wheelarch right to where the grommet on the end of the cable is, arm in front of the subframe under the bottom hose.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 03:28
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #162
Meh

ok mate, thanks for that Flowers

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 03:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #163
np! changed the cable and the 2 nylon bushes on my zx today, thank feck I cleaned and painted everything withing the last 2 years LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 04:32
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #164
Ok i had a look at the cable grommit which sits infront of the bulkhead. Had about an hours wiggling and all sorts but couldn't get it closer to the bulkhead - so i assume its where its meant to be. Hmm

Fortunately, my aircon pipes and heat shield are non existent so i had relatively decent access but that servo is still right in the way to get a decent look/push.

Still open to suggestions Wink

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 22nd Mar 2009 at 21:11
blu

Regular

Post #165
the clutch pedal mechanism isnt jamming up is it? e.g the spring is not doing what it should do?

Cant believe this is still on going, i bet your sick of it!
Posted 26th Mar 2009 at 05:30
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #166
Berger had a problem like this with his Rover, of sorts. My first thought reading this is that it is clutch, and not box (complimented by the fact new linkages and a new box failed to solve it).

I googled and googled and googled when Berger's car was playing up as we rebuilt the gearbox, the linkage and it had a new clutch and it still bloody did it - but when stone cold it was absolutely fine.

At the end of muchos googleage I found this really helpful self diagnosis from a BMW product recall on E36 BMWs.

----------
A transmission which is difficult to shift (especially into first gear) is primarily a clutch related problem and only in isolated cases a failure in the transmission itself. The following diagnostic tips will assist in troubleshooting a clutch, gear shift linkage or transmission problem :

IMPORTANT :

Engage the parking brake and assure that no people or objects are in the vehicle's path.

1) Run the engine at idle speed.
2) Press the clutch pedal to the floor.
3) From the neutral stick shift position engage first gear.

If first gear is difficult to engage, hold the stick shift at the resistance point (approximately half of the total stick shift travel) with constant force. Then switch the ignition off with the other hand.

Diagnosis 1:

If first gear now engages completely, there is a problem in the clutch system.

Example : The stick shift moves to the end position without any additional pressure applied.

Explanation:Because the clutch does not uncouple completely, a residual torque is transmitted to the transmission input shaft when the engine is running. This inhibits the release and meshing of the sliding sleeve, in the transmission, at the end of the synchronization process. Turning the engine offrelieves the input shaft of this torque thus simulating a completely uncoupled clutch.

Possible causes for a clutch problem as per Diagnosis 1 above :

A) Input shaft taper splines not lubricated properly / grease dried out.
B ) Clutch disc difficult to move on transmission input shaft.
C) Clutch disc wobble.
D) Air in the hydraulic system of clutch mechanism.
E) Release bearing defective or difficult to move on the guide sleeve.
F) Clutch disc or pressure plate broken / worn out.

Diagnosis 2:

If the stick shift remains at the resistance point, there is a problem in the external gear shift linkage or in the transmission.

Possible causes :
A) External gearshift linkage binding (shift rod joints stiff).
B ) Stick shift bellows boot incorrectly installed (positioned too high or too low on the stick shift lever).
C) Sound deadening between the outer gear shift linkage and the body incorrectly installed and/or distorted.

Possible causes inside of the transmission:

A) Faulty synchronization.
Cool Internal gear shift linkage binding.
----------

In Bergers situation, the box was f*cked - it had a bent selector inside the box, gay. Since you already said above that your solution in emergencies at green lights is to hold it against first, kill the engine, and it slots in - you have a clutch problem for sure.

You have a new clutch (was the release bearing new?), a new cable, and you've replaced the fork bearings as I understand it, but I still feel that the fork is not working correctly. It is a push clutch I assume? I've only seen it on one occurance where the fork was bent, and i've seen another with a bent clutch pedal itself. Both were very bizarre circumstances though.

Nice - bent one on the right obviously.

Taking the above list and looking at it logically:
A) Input shaft taper splines not lubricated properly / grease dried out - I presume you put a dab of moly grease on the input shaft splines before placing the box on?
B ) Clutch disc difficult to move on transmission input shaft. - Pretty much same as above
C) Clutch disc wobble. - would hope not, as you've fitted a new clutch and I presume adhered to the correct pressure plate torques and tightening pattern - and that the clutch is aligned properly.
D) Air in the hydraulic system of clutch mechanism. - n/a in this case
E) Release bearing defective or difficult to move on the guide sleeve. - Was this new with your kit? I see it on P2.
F) Clutch disc or pressure plate broken / worn out. - n/a, new clutch

So to me, it's a misbehaving fork either cause it's f*cked or your cable is snagging somewhere (or indeed where the cable reaches the fork, the steady is flexing - the cable anchor point), or your friction plate is sticking on the splines of the input shaft. The latter also explains why you appear to encounter clutch crawl when you start with it held in first in emergencies.

Apologies if the above is not applicable, or not helpful - i'm not familiar with the GTi6 clutch set-up. It would be useful to see a picture of the fork your cable actuates within the bellhousing, i'm off for a searchy. I'm by no means an expert on Peugeots, so tear this apart if you feel like it.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 27th Mar 2009 at 12:55
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #167
i wish you would sort it willi, the suspense is killing me!!.
nice info tvrfan dude.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 27th Mar 2009 at 13:41
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #168
Thanks for that tvrfan.

Yes i've changed the fork (with the new gearbox which was guaranteed to be fully working). And all fork bearings which were correctly greased.

Just had a quick read through and the gearbox/clutch feels fine 80% of the time (dispelling the above diagnosis), and it will either start playing up when in heavy traffic where your constantly using the clutch to pull off etc, or when your driving it hard.

The only milisecond warning you get is the clutch pedal/biting point dropping right down to the floor.

If i'm driving hard, say i'm in 3rd and leave it in 3rd whilst at 4k revs for a minute and then floor it to change into 4th - it won't go into 4th, only after rolling a hundred meters or so it will go in.

When it starts playing up, i'm usually stationary - either after a blast in the car and i've slowed down for traffic or as above i've been in heavy rolling traffic for a while. And when this happens i cannot select any gears. If i try put the car in gear (with the clutch down and car running) it won't go in, but you can feel as your say pushing it into first, you can feel the car trying to move forward. It's as if the clutch has essentially gone?

If you turn the engine off, put it in gear it goes in fine, however when you turn the car back on (with clutch down and in gear) the car will try and move (so you have to brake) which subsequently stalls the car.

It won't do it when cold (well i can't rememeber) - but thats because i never drive it hard when cold.

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 27th Mar 2009 at 16:15
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #169
Ah no worries, i'm Si btw.

I suspected that you had a new fork but I thought i'd put that out there. The hot scenario, post ragging, is what does it for me. It's clearly a temperature related fault as something is expanding and binding. If the clutch wasn't new i'd be looking at a lazy or broken friction plate spring. Sad

Understanding it a little better - if you'd changed from 3rd to 4th after a few seconds, and driven sedately for that one minute instead of 4k in 3rd - it still plays ball and you could select any gear?

It worries me that the clutch is a brand new'un and it still does it just like the old one did. It makes me think either your flywheel is distorting in some way or the clutch splines just bind on the shaft - there are only so many things capable of moving your bite point - and you've refreshed most of them.

See here:
How your clutch works
The little diagram halfway down.

You push your clutch, kill the engine, and put in gear. Start up and it crawls - the drivetrain MUST be connected.

Train of thought:

It happens when in traffic or after a thrash - something is hot.
Something hot, pretty much must be metallic to respond and pick up/bind

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 27th Mar 2009 at 18:25
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #170
tvrfan007 wrote:
Understanding it a little better - if you'd changed from 3rd to 4th after a few seconds, and driven sedately for that one minute instead of 4k in 3rd - it still plays ball and you could select any gear?

Thanks again Si.

Yep, it will go in fine if driven sedately. As will all gears.

As you said it's got to be a heat related problem, changed everything logical. The clutch that was on the car when i bought it was only 5k old - and when removed it almost had as much meat on as the new one. See below:

Also old vs new friction plates

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 00:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #171
No worries dude, just throwing my 2 cents in

It's deffo something binding, but what and why. lol. I read you'd changed the oil a few times - it is the correct grading I assume? Smile

Ok so a bit more googling around the subject reveals this:

It's from an RX7OC, a download of a clutch replacement manual and troubleshooting guide as above. Quite a handy guide anyway so posting it up. Unfortunately we've covered it all! lol..

Also found this, which is a good read:
Troubleshoot your Clutch Problems

(It is worth noting I don't think resurfacing of the flywheel is necessary for every clutch change, it depends on why you're changing it)

Ok moving on - Do you get clutch judder at all, on either high or low bite points? Problem being i suppose with the fact its trying to crawl when it has the problem, you wont actually be able to tell then.

....Flywheel Ninja

Would hate to tell you to change it, only for the problem to still be there. Flywheels are a b*tch of a job. Dry By any chance, did you take a picture of your flywheel during last box off?

I'm wondering if it had heat rings on it (and perhaps runout, but you'd need to measure this)- perhaps the previous owner rode the clutch like an old lady. I'm wondering if the previous owner to you changed the clutch because of this problem, then got fed up and flogged it.

(Buy a lightened flywheel! Devil )

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 06:18
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #172
or theres plenty of standard ones out here that you could get for just the postage!!
ive got 1 you can have for the postage.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 13:34
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #173
thanks again Si, the oil i use is the peugeot stuff so defo the right grading. i definately know the guy sold me the car knowing thhis problem existed, as in the test drive he was driving it like a girl and let me have it for 300 quid below his asking price LOL

and no there's no juddering Wink

i'll try find some pics of the flywheel, but i hope you appreciae i need to know the exact culprit before changing anything else as i'm fed up of taking the box off and apending money on stuff that isnt fixing it now Sad

The only picture i have of it Doh

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 16:54
mangledmetal

Seasoned Pro

Post #174
wil, can we have a list of things you've changed on the car, in a simpole list format??

Going through the gates of Hell Backwards, in a ball of flames!

I'll, save you a place!!
Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 16:53
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #175
Replaced:

• Clutch and cable had been replaced 5k prior to me buying.
  • Clutch and cable replaced by myself a few months after buying the car thinking it was a poorly alligned clutch / duff cable by previous owner causing the said problems.
  • Gearbox changed with new white fork bearings as well as another new cable.
  • Various box oil changes throughout ownership (Using Peugeot supplied oil).
  • Group N gearbox and engine mounts.

• Replaced since this thread:

• Gear Linkages
  • Genuine Peugeot Clutch Cable
  • [bullet]Removed spring under clutch peddle

Team Ducati 748
    2003 Subaru Impreza STi
    Posted 28th Mar 2009 at 17:01

Pages (8): first .. 6 [7] 8