displaying posts 1 to 25 of 74

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: 106 Rallye SC - an update
khj100

Senior User

Post #1
Well some of you may be interested (some of you wont!) in an update on what's going on with my 106 Rallye track car.

You may have seen it in its previous guise out on track before. It started life over 3 years ago as a standard S2 8v Rallye. Having driven jimmy_boy and dhampton's 106 16v previously, I knew it was the perfect replacement for my GTi6 on track so I didn't waste any time in modifying it. 16v engine went in, rollcage and seats, KoniSport suspension and GTi6 brakes.

The week I first got her

And after 16v and track prepping

I enjoyed it like that for quite a while before getting bored of the weaknesses of the 106; particularly its top-end power and lack of traction out of the tight and twisties. After deliberating over my pennies, I eventually bought a set of fairly mild Catcams along with KMS engine management and a Quaife ATB. That sorted out many of the frustrations and I ran it like that for another year or so. It was rolling roaded at around 160bhp at the fly which translated to a good balance of power and handling on track. However, yet again I got bored and couldn't decide what to do.

With all the work Rich has put into developing the SC kit for the 306, and the rest of you who are all going down the boost route, I pretty much decided that I'd have to do the same to keep up with you all! GMC Motorsport pretty much have the market cornered on the TU kits, although Wayne Schofield is developing a similar kit I believe. Anyway, the big dilemma for me was determining what i actually needed. I was worried that there were hidden costs that I couldn't expect up front, not least things like the mapping so I went down the route of buying a complete "working" car on the theory that at least the cost was known.

In possibly the worst decision I made, I bought a well-known supercharged Saxo from one of the SSC members - featured in a couple of mags (in fact, the same PFC edition as mine and Dave's Rallye!). The big difficulty with a car like that is putting a value on it. In retrospect, I paid considerably over the odds considering that it meant doubling up on a few things I already had (KMS, Quaife box, the engine itself) and the fact that I ended up covering a lot of the very problems I was trying to avoid.

Anyway, here's the Saxo as I bought it

And the important bit!

Anyway, once I got the car, I couldn't resist a quick last minute trackday at Cadwell Park. Even though the Saxo was a similar spec to my Rallye, it felt quite different on track - different suspension, different tyres and power steering, not to mention the boost! Because the power is so progressive I found it really hard to detect a discernable difference to my cammed 16v in the Rallye.

At one point I was following what I thought was an Mi16 205. That would typically have been about the same pace as my Rallye, so I figured if I was quicker then it was a sign of the extra power.... I can't begin to tell you how gutted I was when he was gradulally edging away down the straights! I breathed a sigh of relief talking to him in the paddock later, when I discovered it was carrying a T16 engine!

Cadwell Park trackday

Following the Turbo'd 205

Anyway, I didn't get much more running that day, as about half way through the day the aux belt tensioner driving the supercharger decided to dismantle itself. The belt must have jumped and then reseated itself on the inner race which stayed on the block. I limped back to the pits fearing the worst and was kind of relieved when it was something so simple with no further damage. Although when it happens less than 50 miles after buying the car it makes you wonder!

Picking up the broken bits!

The one that got away

And the bit that didn't!

My 1st priority, as was always the plan, was to remove the engine from the Saxo and get it shifted on as quick as possible. I managed to do the majority of the mechnicals in one day; removed the engine and box from the Saxo, replaced them with a spare std 16v that I had from Taz's track Saxo that I broke (which was going to be my base engine for my own project).

Engine out of Saxo

Standard engine back in

The biggest issue was the wiring. The loom on the supercharged engine was a hybrid of a late style VTS loom (3 plug ECU i guess) and a KMS loom.

It didn't take long to realise there was no saving it in its current state; no way that was ever going to run a standard engine again! Not helped by the fact the previous owner had gone a little overboard covering everything in 3kms of red insulation tape - clearly to cover up their abominable wiring efforts!

Our only other option was to use the loom that had belonged to the donor engine - in some ways easier hooking it up to the engine it came off as all the sensors were correct, but complicated as Citroen had changed the body-engine loom connector between phases.

The only feasible solution was to completely swap all the looms for the original Mk 1s that I had. It took a while to swap it all over, but I'm glad we did it properly and left the new owner with pretty much a standard car.

Special needs wiring!

Main 12v permanent live supply from the battery!

I made a few other changes in the interior too. The Saxo had a custom flocked dash which would have looked ridiculous without any of the guages in it. So again I swapped that back to the standard dash from my 'spare' Saxo and wired back up all the standard switchgear.

I also swapped the seats with a friend who really wanted the wrap round Evos and replaced them with his equivalent normal ones. I contemplated putting a heater matrix back in the car too as I did have a spare but it looked as though all the standard bulkhead openings had been fibreglassed over to keep them watertight and I really didn't fancy trying to hack my way through that.

I also swapped the Hi-spec 4-pot brakes over, replacing them with a set of GTi6 ones with some spare DS2500 pads. After a few bits of cosmetic tweakery, some chicken wire on the front bumper, removal of the chav rear lights it was ready to sell.

It took a little while, and a couple of attempts at photography, to get any genuine interest (had a lot of timewasters though!) but I was really chuffed with the end result. For a while, I considered keeping the car and maybe leaving it over in Germany. It was worth so much more than the money I was selling it for, but I just couldn't justify it in the end.

It ended up going to a couple of chaps from Hull who were looking for something cheaper to use on track than their Scoobs. I believe WhiteRallye's boss knows them, and sent me a pic of their latest mods. I have to say, I quite like it!

Original flocked dash

Standard dash swapped back in

For sale!

I think the new owners liked the odd decal or two!

Anyway, with the Saxo gone, I was ready to start on my Rallye. First priority was to tidy up the interior and engine bay a bit. Both had begun to show signs of age having had the engine in and out so many times over 3 years and with no protection for the footwells.

After sanding them back and removing all the weird tar-y shit that Peugeot put down in the footwell, it didn't take long to respray them (well, technically it took 2 attempts since Halford's definition of Indigo Blue is completely different to Peugeot's!).

Masked up engine bay

And interior...

And all painted up (and a bit too shiny!)

I also took the opportunity to make a few other mods before putting the engine in. Firstly, I'd had a few problems with the rear brake compensator valve in the past, every now and then sticking at random, giving me far too much braking to the rear and making the back end very lairy. I figured it was as good a time as any to stick a bias valve in so had to run new brake lines from the master cylinder down to the rear calipers.

The other problem affecting the Saxo very badly was fuel starvation. Even though it had an uprated in-tank pump, it seemed that on anything less than about ½ tank, the sloshing around meant it just couldn't pick up enough fuel. I bought a 2nd hand set swirlpot and braided line setup from one of the 106 Rallye chaps, along with a 2nd external pump and filter from Tweeks.

It took a little bit of thinking to route the fuel lines down the car so they were away from any exhaust tunnel heat and any wandering feet and I ended up running through into the scuttle tray where I mounted the filter. The other issue was switching from the -6 JIC fittings used for the braided lines to the standard push/clip fittings used on the plastic fuel rail. After a few failed attempts, i managed to find reducing unions the right size and got it all to work.

The only other big change inside was the wiring. I wanted to use the display guages that the Saxo originally had, a KMS AFR display, a separate Alpha lambda display (driven by a separate sensor - a good sanity check) and the mechanical boost guage.

Unfortunately, the Rallye dash doesn't really have much space for that, so I chose to remake the centre panel. I also wanted to wire up a separate switch for the fuel pump circuit (since the KMS runs it all the time the ignition is on) and a fan override to allow greater control over the engine bay temps.

Once I figured out the wiring layout, those weren't that difficult at all. The harder problems were 'simple' features that I needed to keep in case I wanted to MoT the car - particularly the hazard switch. I don't know if you've ever looked but the switch has 8 pins and does far more than just turn the lights on and off! Took quite a bit of time to figure it out and make it work on a simple 2-pin on-off switch. I had a similar problem with the heated screen (which used a timer relay by default and turned itself off) and the 4-way interior fan rotary switch.

Finally, Anyway, quite chuffed with the end result. Probably the hardest thing was cutting the carbon fibre sheet for it all to sit in, and then working out how to mount things!

Custom dash

So with the interior pretty much sorted, the brakes, fuel and interior wiring done, all that was left was the engine. I got a replacement aux belt tension from GMC (a rather complicated piece of kit, with the tensioning done by hyraulics!) and took the opportunity to replace the idler pulley which seemed to have some play in it too at the same time (a mistake, as the brand new one had the same amount of play!).

It took a while to find a belt the right length and to get it all tensioned up well but eventually had that all sorted and dropped the engine in as quickly as it had come out. We were getting close now but there were a couple of problems to overcome; firstly, the physical logistics of getting the front end back on.

Engine back in

It appears in PSAs infinite wisdom that they made the front end of the 106 and Saxos surprising different behind all the plastic. Firstly, the crossmember (on which the intercooler and rad sit) actually seems a little higher on the 106 and secondly the greater curve on the front of the bonnet means there's much less clearance underneath it. Sean's favourite bit of the project included anglegrinding the hell out of the front slam panel.

Bumper on...

....but with about 2" too little clearance!

After removing quite a lot of the panel, and after a trip back to Demon Tweeks to find a few extra bits of silicon hosing to allow us to reroute the boost pipes, we managed to get the bonnet shut!

Final challenge was the front bumper which, after growing weary and just wanting the front end sorted so I at least stood a chance of making the pre-booked Donington evening trackday for a much needed shakedown, I resorted to hacking apart with a jigsaw. Given the less than precise approach, it actually ended up looking quite alright!

After some bumper hacking

So, the final hurdle; the wiring. Having studied the engine loom that came off the Saxo in close detail there was no way I was running that on my car (bare wires twisted together and covered in insulation, great swathes of unused wires just chopped off and bound together with yet more insulation. Plus I had the reverse problem I'd had with the Saxo - the chassis plugs on my Rallye wouldn't accept the Mk2 engine loom anyway.

To keep things really tidy, I wanted to use the complete standard 16v loom coupled with a KMS adapter (to avoid needing any separate wiring at all). Unfortunately there were a few difference which took quite some figuring out with support from QEP. After running a couple of extra wires into the loom we were all ready for the first trial start up.

Embarassingly, it took the majority of a day for 4 of us to try and debug 'starting problems', tracing every wire, output signals from relays and the ECUs, searching for a 5mV leaks through the chassis, only to discover that my new race battery clearly didn't have enough grunt (having not been charged for a while) to turn the engine over quick enough! A set of jump leads and the Avensis towBEAST and she roared into life on the first attempt!

So, having a matter of days earlier declared "i'm not even going to try and make Donington", I was done in time (albeit it came down to the last half hour before leaving!). We loaded the car on the trailer, still with a list of jobs to do when I get there including filling some gearbox oil!

The first couple of laps on the track were probably the most gingerish ones i've ever done but I just wanted to get some heat into everything and see whether everything held.

I pulled back into the pits after three 50% laps to be greeted by plumes of smoke from under the bonnet. Fearing the worst, I grabbed the fire extinguisher, and lifted the bonnet carefully. Fortunately, it just appeared to be fluids burning off heatwrapped manifold; it'd sat in a pool of traction oil for a couple of months in the corner of my garage so not surprising it was saturated! I also noticed that the charger belt had shed a rib in just 3 laps, which I suspected it might - a 6-rib belt on a 5-rib alternator pulley isn't a good combination.

Satisfied there was no major problems, I was just feeling smug when a chap came over and said "looks like there's loads of smoke inside the car"... Panic levels back up again, I noticed that the smoke appeared to be coming from around the top of the fuel pump housing, which turned out to be the ridiculous heatshield (made out of some flammable material!) which covers the fuel tank from the exhaust. The exhaust was sitting possibly a bit high and may even have been touching this. Either way, it was smouldering away red hot about 1" from the fuel tank!

I managed to douse it with water and no damage was done, but that kind of put a dampener on the rest of my evening. I did another couple of outings of 2 laps each, with a little bit more commitment, but I kept coming back in to check the exhaust. From what I could tell, it certainly feels good.

Anyway, the finished product

So, a short list of things to fix - primarily those that involve fire, and it'll be out for its next outing at Croft on 21st June.

After it's bedded down for a few days, the next steps are to stick my Catcams in and see what kind of power it makes then. In retrospect, I'd also probably have gone for a larger charger (if anyone wants to swap a nearly new C30/74 for a /94 let me know!) to give me more flexibility. The previous owner has a RR graph for 251bhp as it stands and the cams should see a reasonable increase I'd hope (judging by the percentage gains they give on an NA engine). I'd also like to get some decent wheels (although to say they've been painted by a 9-year old, the ones that are on it in the pictures are ok). I'll be having to sell my cyclone mountain though, since they won't fit over the Hi-specs.

And after that I really dunno.... Give it a year until I get bored again!

Just as a footnote, I'd also like to publicly thank Sean (smighall), Dave (dhampton) and Rich (E) for their hands on help, along with the ever-wise Mr Walker for his knowledge of boosts, Pete for turning up just in time to encourage me to get the jigsaw out and anyone else who's advised along the way.

Final spec

Engine:

1.6 litre 16v GTi Engine
Omega Forged low compression pistons
490cc Pico injectors
Std cams
Rotrex C30/74 supercharger
Custom 160mm Aluminium crank Pulley
Five rib drive belt
GMC idler and tensioner system
GMC pace front mount Intercooler
GMC pace Aluminium radiator
BTB exhaust manifold, heat wrapped
BTB exhaust system
(wondering what my Supersprint 4-2-1 and Pugsport would be like...!)
Pugsport Sump baffle
Custom enlarged sump +1L
Up rated 11" Spal fan
Mocal Oil cooler for engine oil
Mocal Oil cooler for Supercharger traction oil
Mocal Catch tank on Custom aluminium Bracket
Aluminium Header tank
K&N breather filter
K&N Air filter
KMS ECU and ignition driver
KMS adapter loom
KMS wideband with digital display
3 Bar map sensor
Sytec 255lph external fuel pump
Sytec motorsport filter
AH fabrications swirl pot
Braided fuel hose and -6 Earls fitments
4.5Bar Fuel Pressure regulator
NGKr Spark plugs
Samco blue hoses

Gearbox:

VTR gearbox
Firdanza lightened & balanced flywheel
Helix Cerametalic paddle clutch
Quaife ATB differential
Quaife Gearset
Shot peened and polished internals
Group N Gear linkages

Suspension:

Konisport adjustable dampers all round
Lowered 30mm front and rear
Grp A engine mounts

Wheels and brakes:

Unknown brand wheels
R888 track tyres
Hi-Spec 4 pot calipers
23.8mm master cylinder
285mm vented discs
Braided hoses
Carbone Lorraine RC5 pads
Tilton brake bias valve

Interior:

Resprayed interior (Indigo Blue)
Safety Devices 8-point cage
Sparco Pro2000 seats on Sparco subframes
Sparco 6-point aircraft style harnesses
Sparco 330SN suede wheel
TAZ quickshift
Momo gearknob
Varley Redtop 20 motorsport battery
FIA battery cut-off
Ignition and starter button rewired
Custom carbon fibre dash panel
Custom dash loom
Apexi boost gauge
KMS wideband display
Alpha AFR display

Exterior:

Std exterior
Bumper mods to accommodate coolers

Trackday, trackday, trackday Hyper
Posted 11th Aug 2008 at 01:05
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Fantastic effort.. looks uber Devil and definately Superman

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 07:46
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
khj100 wrote:

greeted by plumes of smoke from under the bonnet. Fearing the worst, I grabbed the fire extinguisher, and lifted the bonnet carefully.

Commonly known as 'Wampy Hose Syndrome'

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 07:49
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #4
Good write up Kev, that Saxo was a proper weapon just waiting to kill somebody Yes

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 08:08
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
looks very nice, did it save you any money doing it this way rather than buying all new? with all the chopping around on the front end wont the body at the front of the car flex? as that slam panel does hold the front together. maybe a strut brace would help tighten it all up should you notice any flex when giving it the beans.
that manifold wrap eventually caught fire on my car when covered in engine oil , keep an eye on it or replace it as it would be a true horror story if that lot went up at croft!!!

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 14:28
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Excellent KevThumbs up

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 15:53
khj100

Senior User

Post #7
Cheers all Thumbs up

quote:
did it save you any money doing it this way rather than buying all new?

That's my only frustration. I think I was blinded a little bit by naivity. In the long run, had I gone for it new, I'd have had all the bits I needed (and nothing else), it'd all have been brand new and warrantied (no £150 tensioners the day after buying it!) and I'd have avoided a lot of frustration making good other people's work. But you live and learn!

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on anything flammable, I can promise you that!

Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 16:03
garry

Regular

Post #8
Looks excellant mate, looking forward to Croft. For once I actually understand a conversion thread, as it is remarkably similar to my conversion.

Do the boost hoses collapse under vacum? Mine do!

205 GTI6 S
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 16:45
khj100

Senior User

Post #9
Laugh

They don't appear to, Garry. I'm not entirely sure how to test that with the engine loaded up, but it appears fine when revved unloaded. There's not many sections of unsupported hose - all the straight bits are lined with ally tube.

As you say, Croft will be a test for all of us!

Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 16:50
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #10
Awesome conversion kev! Hopefully i'll get to see this in action when i've finished sortin my car out and manage to get to a trackday again!Cool

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 17:34
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Quality thread! Cool Thumbs up

Love all the project threads which have appeared recently!
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 18:20
mabgti

NV motors

Post #12
Quality transplant...

Would love to see this on trackNinja

Check the charger bracket, if you can fit some washers under the bracket spacers as GMC had some warping issuesYes

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 18:52
chris_306gti6!

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
awesome convertion and good thread to read.

will have to book a passenger lap in this one next time i'm at a track day with you as it'll be a little different to how i remembered it
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 18:53
zac

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Great read. Cool

Hit the limiter in 6th gear at 169mph (GPS - TomTom on the German autobahn). Still pulling like a train too. Cheers

- Phase 3 GTi-6 (409hp 'charged weekend toy)
- Phase 2.5 Rallye (daily driver)

R.I.P Pete Sims
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 19:11
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Superb thread & quality conversion Kev!
Well doneThumbs up

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 19:30
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Nice.... Coversion, and write up

Cant wait to start on my SC.

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 19:58
khj100

Senior User

Post #17
Cheers for the positive comments all Thumbs up

Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 21:23
RichardE

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Looks good mate!
I bet it flies!!

Volvo XC60 SE Lux Premium AWD + Appearance Packs + Various Options
  • K&N Panel Filter
  • Polestar Tuning Chip
  • All Weather Tyres
  • (355BHP & 507NM Torque)

Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 21:43
    mr whippy

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    Wow, nice work!

Team not a 306
    Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 21:50
    joney

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    quality work kev, I hope you enjoy it on track and haven't broken the bank too badly in the process! I've always been a fan of the 16v rallyes, so it's cool to see it get taken yet another step further! Cool

"That bit's flat"

P1 2.0 8v XSi track-Slag -sub 9:00 on the Nordschleife with toyo R888 tyres and 140bhp Big grin

200SX now on the road... just gotta make it handle like the 306 did now!
    Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 22:13
    khj100

Senior User

Post #21
    joney wrote:
    quality work kev, I hope you enjoy it on track and haven't broken the bank too badly in the process! I've always been a fan of the 16v rallyes, so it's cool to see it get taken yet another step further! Cool

Cheers Joney.

Bank has been well and truly shafted for many years now... so what's another few grand, eh!? Doh

Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 23:16
    silver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Cool

(The car that is)

R.I.P Pete Sims aka PeteGti6/PlatinumSix
    Posted 1st Jun 2008 at 23:37
    mechanical_repairs

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    Looks a superb job and very well done by the look of it, i personally Love it

Well done,

Carl

C.G.Cars of Leicester, Peugeot/Citroen/Renault specialist Tel: 01162 624498/07799 405184 WWW.CGCARSLEICESTER.CO.UK
    36 narborough road south, Leicester LE3 2fn

MOT station now open, tests £35 with a free retest.
    Recovery available with a recovery unit, for those not so local jobs

Also offer the loan of a free courtesy car 306 dturbo
    Posted 2nd Jun 2008 at 02:50
    sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Fantastic job Kev and a really well written story, think you'll have a very long pax-lap queue! Wink

Steve Big grin

Posted 2nd Jun 2008 at 02:49
    n111k rb

Senior User

Post #25
    Wow simply amazing work there.

That car looks like a proper project with all the custom work thats gone into it.

Nice to see someone doing it all properly.

Good job Thumbs up

Hopefully get 2 see this in action one day.
    Posted 2nd Jun 2008 at 03:33

Pages (3): [1] 2 3