displaying posts 226 to 232 of 232

Pages (10): first .. 8 9 [10]

Author Subject: My 306 race car build
gti-dan

Regular

Post #226
what has happened to this thread? has the OP still got the car and racing? or have i missed something?

p.s. with twin staged injectors / 8 injectors etc use twice as much fuel?
Posted 28th Feb 2010 at 20:16
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #227
gti-dan wrote:
what has happened to this thread? has the OP still got the car and racing? or have i missed something?

Dont know about the car or owner, but twin staged will not use twice the fuel, you use smaller injectors on each position.
Posted 28th Feb 2010 at 20:20
edcherry

Post #228
OP does still have the car and as far as I know will be contending in the CCRC Saloon car championship again this season.
Posted 28th Feb 2010 at 20:21
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #229
gti-dan wrote:

I believe it's because 2 smaller injectors meter the fuel more accurately (and possibly atomise it more effectively) than 1 larger injector, particularly at low RPM/idle (where overfuelling can cause bore wash) when you can switch off one bank of injectors completely.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 28th Feb 2010 at 20:26
jcphat

Seasoned Pro

Post #230
Loveers of Quality need to read this thread- old but priceless!!

New Forum same high quality intellectual debate!
Team Zimmer™
Posted 28th Feb 2010 at 22:32
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #231
24seven wrote:
gti-dan wrote:

I believe it's because 2 smaller injectors meter the fuel more accurately (and possibly atomise it more effectively) than 1 larger injector, particularly at low RPM/idle (where overfuelling can cause bore wash) when you can switch off one bank of injectors completely.

It's done to produce more power, at low engine speeds, where the intake air is also moving more slowly you need to have the injectors closer to the valves as the fuel can drop out of the airstream and give rough running, poor throttle response and high emissions. Having the injectors that close though does'nt provide the best mixture with the air at higher RPM as the fuel is'nt in the fast moving air for long enough to atomise properly and hence does'nt give such a good 'burn' wasting potential power. So by switching to a set of injectors furter away fron the valves (Often firing directly into the open ends of the throttle body trumpets) you can combine the low speed tractability of the 4 injectors close to the valve with the top end performance of the further spaced injectors, you don't necessarily use any more fuel as they seamlessly switch from one set to the other at a given RPM/load but it must work as X-Sport racing found an extra 20 Hp when they went to an 8 injector setup on their Mi16 engines 205 racer. Someone will probably come along soon and correct this but I'm reasonably confident that thats basicly how it works Wink

P.S. Love reading this thread Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:30
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #232
daveyboy wrote:
24seven wrote:
gti-dan wrote:

It's done to produce more power, at low engine speeds, where the intake air is also moving more slowly you need to have the injectors closer to the valves as the fuel can drop out of the airstream and give rough running, poor throttle response and high emissions. Having the injectors that close though does'nt provide the best mixture with the air at higher RPM as the fuel is'nt in the fast moving air for long enough to atomise properly and hence does'nt give such a good 'burn' wasting potential power. So by switching to a set of injectors furter away fron the valves (Often firing directly into the open ends of the throttle body trumpets) you can combine the low speed tractability of the 4 injectors close to the valve with the top end performance of the further spaced injectors, you don't necessarily use any more fuel as they seamlessly switch from one set to the other at a given RPM/load but it must work as X-Sport racing found an extra 20 Hp when they went to an 8 injector setup on their Mi16 engines 205 racer. Someone will probably come along soon and correct this but I'm reasonably confident that thats basicly how it works Wink

P.S. Love reading this thread Smile

That is how i understand the theory too, and how i have seen it documented many times.

F1 cars for example have injectors firing into the trumpets to get them as far way from the port/valve area as possible, to atomise the fuel at those high rpms.
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:44

Pages (10): first .. 8 9 [10]