displaying posts 1 to 25 of 232

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: My 306 race car build
dixon

Regular

Post #1
As it started off life as a gti-6 and is still a 306 (albeit now a 1.8) and I read through the forum regularly and enjoy theses type of threads I thought you guys might have an interest in following my race car build.

I’ve decided to start racing properly now so the track day 205 has gone, being replaced with a newer eligible car.
I will be competing in the Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship in 2008. Class C (1400 – 1800cc)

After going through the feasibilities and costs of many cars I narrowed my choice down to a 1.8 16v Peugeot 306 XS.
But finding the model spec I wanted with a decent shell etc wasn’t so easy!
But just at the right time a white 3 door non sunroof 306 gti-6 came up for sale. As it’ll be stripped right back to the shell and all new stuff including engine will be going in anyway, the model difference wasn’t a problem.

So a bank holiday trip down to the tip of Cornwall armed with a tent to pick it up. (The other half took some convincing that this was a great idea though!)

After a couple of weeks stored on my parents drive (Thanks!) while I cleared room on my drive for yet another pug I parked it up and started attacking it.

Out came the engine first. Which has gone to a good home in a friends 205 (Spikey).

Then I stripped out everything that isn’t vitally essential; ABS, Air conditioning, Power steering etc. And some other heavy bits that will be replaced with smaller/lighter equivalents.
Then gave it a good clean and shine up.

In the mean time I did some shopping, in the form of some throttle bodies, engine management, bucket seats and snap off steering wheel.
(Thanks Sam)

Then stripped the inside and dash out completely.

Unfortunately in the 306 the sound deadening in the foot wells are a solid ‘tar like’ substance stuck to the floor rather than insulation in the 205 that could just be lifted out.

It started looking like this…

I tried cutting it, peeling it, scrubbing it but no luck so had to melt it with a hot air gun and scrape it out.
And I chose one of the warmest day’s we’ve had for a while to do it! That was warm in there! Lol

This left me with a sticky mess on the floor. So got a rag covered in petrol and got scrubbing.
This brought it up quite well in the end.

It doesn’t look much but when I bagged it all up after and put it on the scales it came to just over 6kgs!!

All gutted and empty I then took the car down to Colin Satchel who is fitting the cage for me and sorting out the suspension and a few other goodies at the moment.

Some early pics of the cage going in:

Sorting the ride height:

Tasty new gear stick Big grin :

Solid engine mounts:

In the mean time Sandy has started building up the engine for me.
A rough guide to the spec is:
XU7J4 Alloy block engine
Custom steel rods
Custom forged pistons
Shillaber head
JRE bespoke cam profiles
Solid lifters/double valve springs etc
Sandy Brown/Colin Satchell TB set up (twin injectors)
Custom 4-2-1 exhaust manifold to match JRE cams

Some pics of the bits bought so far:
Head…

Rods…

Cams…

Bodies…

I think that covers it all up to now, the suspension is currently being finished ready for me to pick up the rolling shell with dummy engine fitted next week to bring home and carry on with my bits. Spraying, brakes, dash, doors and other interior stuff etc. Then will hopefully be off to maniflow to have a custom manifold made and then back to Cornwall to fit and map the engine when Sandy has finished building it.

Hope you enjoyed the read, I’ll keep it as up to date as possible as it progresses.
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 22:52
dixon

Regular

Post #2
And some pics of the cage nearly finished…

Pillars gusseted:

Seat mounted:

Bulkhead cross bars and steering column bracing:

Oh and the servo blanking spacer:
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 22:53
puglover Banned!

Post #3
nice thread mate welcome to the club. Just wondering how you got the windscreen out? are they bonded down as well??
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:00
dixon

Regular

Post #4
Thanks.

The window was well stuck, had to be smashed!
Which wasn't an issue as I'll be fitting a heated one as I've removed all the fans and demisting stuff. I had also cracked it anyway trying to remove the rear view mirror, whoops! :s
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:04
xmdbmx

Post #5
v.nice shouldnt have used a SIX tho!!!!!!!!!!

mike
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:05
Larrye-Rallye

Senior User

Post #6
Interesting stuff!

White Rallye No angel (Silkolene 5w/40 Pro S, ITG Pro filter, Denso Iridium Power IK20 sparkplugs, Nissens Radiator, Sachs Advantage Dampers, Brembo OEM Discs, Ferodo DS2500 Pads)

140,000 Miles gone, currently broken!

Close encounter with the ring! Photo Evidence
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:06
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
xmdbmx wrote:
Erm then it wouldn't be eligable to run in the class he wants to then Doh LOL

Nice work tho. Which i had the patients/time to do something like thatSad

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:10
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Sequential box?! Which one are you going for? Ever think of buying an ex- production tourer and swapping the engines? The money that you must be spending on this car must come close to the price of an ex tourer?

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:14
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
xmdbmx wrote:

The 306 maxi's use the same engine this guy is, and some of them make over 300bhp, albeit at about 10500rpm.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:16
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
pete_rallye wrote:
xmdbmx wrote:

The 306 maxi's use the same engine this guy is, and some of them make over 300bhp, albeit at about 10500rpm.

Are they still 1800's tho Pete? I know it doesn't make that much differance rally, just interested

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:21
redrallye

rimjaw

Post #11
Nice spec Shock

Nice car Yes

You have too much spare cash! Laugh

Team "310bhp/tonne" Devil Devil

Team "Old Skool Kool" Happy

Team "Faster than a standard 6. No really, both of them are"
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:38
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Thought they were 2L...

This is going in the Coombe Saloon car championship isn't it? Are you rose jointing at least one engine mount to stop them snapping from shell flex or not? Should be a quick car! Just watch out for those evos Ninja

Nothing to see here
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:41
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Nice thread, keep it updated and good luck with the project Thumbs up

340 horses
Posted 22nd Nov 2007 at 23:50
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #14
very nice mr dixon! any estimate on completion date then? Give him some free time to finish mine Wink .

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 00:13
rikky 🦔

Post #15
very nice work. that tar sound deadening comes out with heat and a chisel, but looks like you've sorted it anyway. good work, love seeing project threads

Laugh @ rainbow stylee wiring, i insulated all mine black

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 00:21
spencer

Senior User

Post #16
SteviePut wrote:
xmdbmx wrote:
Erm then it wouldn't be eligable to run in the class he wants to then Doh LOL

i think mr bmx meant he should of used the shell from an xs or somthing instead of breaking off another 6 Sad

good project though and looks like some quality work done Smile

PH2 306 GTI 6 Big grin
Team Nile ™
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 00:31
forest1981

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Cool keep us posted

ps3 i.d kyamtoby

Ex GTi-6 owner Sad

Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 01:34
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Looks good Thumbs up where's the 6 enggine gone?

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 01:50
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Keep up Jon Razz

The car looks very good so far Dixon, there is a serious level of dedication so far already, as well as a lot of time spent i imagine.

Keep us updated! Yes

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 02:30
kip76

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Fantastic work, feeling a bit inspired for a bit of fettling (alright ripping more excess crap out) over the winter now...

By the way why remove the servo?

Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 04:46
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Back on topic then Kev, sorry for misreading and responding.

This is the project that will prove what the 1.8 16v XU7JP4 engine can have done to it as has been discussed previously.

I await the final push and testing/results

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 04:58
dixon

Regular

Post #22
xmdbmx wrote:

I knew I'd get a response like that from some but I'd hardly say I was ruining it though!
But it was about the only straight 3dr non sunroof white ph2 around when I was looking.
Plus I made nearly all the cost of the car back selling the bits I didn't need.

pete_rallye wrote:
Sequential box?! Which one are you going for? Ever think of buying an ex- production tourer and swapping the engines? The money that you must be spending on this car must come close to the price of an ex tourer?

I wish it was a sequential Sad But they arn't allowed in the Combe Saloons and are well out of my budget. Its a normal H pattern box, just with a much tighter throw and extended closer to the steering wheel.
There are quite tight/strict regulations in the Combe championship so I'd still probably have to remove half the stuff on an ex touring car anyway I think. All the suspension for example would have to be new.
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 05:46
dixon

Regular

Post #23
adam b wrote:
Thought they were 2L...

This is going in the Coombe Saloon car championship isn't it? Are you rose jointing at least one engine mount to stop them snapping from shell flex or not? Should be a quick car! Just watch out for those evos Ninja

Yeah the Combe Saloons class C.
Nope all the engine mounts are solid, but with a well built and balanced engine and real solid shell it shouldn't be too bad. Be some nice vibrations and harmonics though! lol Big grin

matty_rallye wrote:
very nice mr dixon! any estimate on completion date then? Give him some free time to finish mine Wink .

I'll be picking up the shell on Sat but the engine probably wont be finished untill the new year Sad Have a bit of a wait for the piston at the mo as it's been hard to find someone to make them up.
So yours will probably be built before mine!
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 05:52
dixon

Regular

Post #24
thugpuggin wrote:

In to a mates white 205 which is up and running well already, I think he's registered on here actually (spikey)

kip76 wrote:
Fantastic work, feeling a bit inspired for a bit of fettling (alright ripping more excess crap out) over the winter now...

I find it gives a much better feel to the brakes and for a car that is race use only there isn't much need for one. I found my old brakes to be over servo'd on track and a little harder to heel and toe in the heat of the moment'! It'll have a nice big set of 4 pots on there to help out.
Plus the added weight saving and more room to get the cross bracing through to the front struts.
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 06:01
puglover Banned!

Post #25
dixon wrote:
thugpuggin wrote:

In to a mates white 205 which is up and running well already, I think he's registered on here actually (spikey)

kip76 wrote:

I find it gives a much better feel to the brakes and for a car that is race use only there isn't much need for one. I found my old brakes to be over servo'd on track and a little harder to heel and toe in the heat of the moment'! It'll have a nice big set of 4 pots on there to help out.
Plus the added weight saving and more room to get the cross bracing through to the front struts.

i was just going to ask you about the servo. Are there any disadvantages on the road? i would have thought alot more pedal effort would be needed.
Posted 23rd Nov 2007 at 06:05

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 .. last