displaying posts 126 to 150 of 254

Pages (11): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last

Author Subject: 306 Maxi project
Joep

Regular

Post #126
Great job! I follow this thread with great interest!

I would love to start on a project like this once... but my bank account tells me differently Sad

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 6th Jul 2017 at 08:44
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #127
Today was door day; remember the NUR carbon doors I got my sticky paws on?
They needed some tidying, and also prepping for paint.
Out came the wet and dry..

Initial look at how much sanding required to rub flat the paint where the stencilling back to the carbon was.

Good progress, and I was impressed with the quality of the finish underneath

As I went I figured I'd sand enough back to look at masking up the edges of a door number square

Did a little masking and just a quick flick of primer over to see how it would look. Think it came out alright, might go for it.

Also had some cracks to deal with where the carbon door skin joins the original metal frame. So I dug out the crack and then got filling. Kevlar first, then Dolphin Glaze.

Proceeded to get to a point where I'm happy with it, so next stop will be primer. The only thing is there's so many nooks and crannies on a door that it took 7hrs to do this today, so the thought of having to do it all over again on the other one doesn't fill me with enthusiasm!

On a different note, i picked up my two sets of dual rate coilover springs today, so the struts move one step closer. Need to sort wiper seals tho before building them up.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 7th Jul 2017 at 21:52
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #128
Hell I hate doing doors.
Groundhog day again with the other door today. Did the whole blocking it down to the carbon.
Also did some POR15 rustproofing underneath and drill some more drainage holes as well.

Discovered my carbon door inner panels are a little different to my existing one, but worked out everything should cross over ok, but I'll need to get the drill out and rivet some brackets in to make it work.

Did the whole crack repair malarky again, and the weather helped enormously with curing times etc.
And finally managed to get the buggers in primer by the end of a very long day.

I masked the outline of a door number square into the door, so if it's gone well, I'll have a carbon outline when I peel back the masking tape. Only time will tell with that one, whether it's a) square, Cool visible, and C) kack, or cool..

Not much of an update I know, but God, some sweat has gone in to these today! Don't know what the weather has in store for us tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get them in paint, and possibly even tackle the rear hatch and filler flap, at least to primer if not paint..

Hope you're all having a decent weekend on the cars - even better if driving the buggers!
Cheers
Iain
Posted 8th Jul 2017 at 22:23
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #129
More doors yesterday..
Started out with flatting down the primer. All good.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vm4ijx]
[/url]

Before painting I used a sharp blade to cut around the masking on the door number square to keep the edge as defined as possible.
In colour! Ended up reverting to my primer gun to get better paint flow.

Got a decent finish out of the gun..

It worked.. (relief) Didn't want to have to re-prep all that so I'm glad it came out ok. Pretty subtle. You need to look closely to see the carbon, which is basically what I was after.

Then as I couldn't do much with the doors for the rest of the afternoon (superb drying weather though) I turned to buffing. Decided to hit the NSR panel; went through the various wet and dry grades and ended up at 2000, then used a polish and a wax.

Job done. I'm no bufty, (far from it), but it was the one opportunity to get it looking well before moving on to other jobs.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 22:16
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #130
Thumbs up cant wait to see this all done attention to detail
Is top notch!
Great work Ian!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 09:34
gretsch-drummer

Regular

Post #131
Eeeek, You shouldn't wax fresh paint for at least a month after painting. The fresh paint needs to breath and let the solvents evaporate fully. If you wax too early, the solvents will become trapped and will cause 'solvent pop'

Ph1 Cossack 6'
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 12:17
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #132
good knowledge thanks mate, might clean that top layer off then! Will double check what I've used.
Then again maybe some of the 28deg days we've had will have helped things along a bit..
Cheers
Iain
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 13:30
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #133
Top work Iain Thumbs up

You need to sort all your old Photobucket pics out m8 .....Whistle
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 17:17
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #134
Yeah I know Damo. I've got them in to Flickr, but I'm lacking a spare 40hrs to do anything about it!
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 19:22
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #135
RallyeRed wrote:
Yeah I know Damo. I've got them in to Flickr, but I'm lacking a spare 40hrs to do anything about it!

Ohh no ...didn't realise it will take that sort of time ?

Iain did you get hold of some Wing Mirrors like I also have but in Carbon ?
I thought I saw some pics but they are all gone ?
Like the touring car ones ..fixed to the body & the glass only moves ?
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 19:57
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #136
Yeah I think it'll take a while to pick through all the thread and add new photo links back in!

It sounds like we have the same mirrors. These are mine:

Cheers
Iain
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 21:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #137
RallyeRed wrote:
Yeah I think it'll take a while to pick through all the thread and add new photo links back in!

It sounds like we have the same mirrors. These are mine:

Cheers
Iain

Yep ....but mine are standard plastic & yours are good old Carbon ...(((((((( where & go on how much ?
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 22:57
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #138
From Tony at Maxi Motorsport Damo. I can't honestly remember the price. If you went to the MC Racing site their price in Euro's is roughly where you in end up in GBP give or take.
Posted 12th Jul 2017 at 18:28
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #139
RallyeRed wrote:
From Tony at Maxi Motorsport Damo. I can't honestly remember the price. If you went to the MC Racing site their price in Euro's is roughly where you in end up in GBP give or take.

Ok brill Iain Thumbs up
Posted 12th Jul 2017 at 19:16
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #140
Quick update; last weekend decided to repaint the car again, as you do.
I'd got away without any issues after polishing it a bit early, but I just couldn't get it quite as good as I wanted to.
Having painted my doors using my primer gun (1.7 nozzle) and a little adjustable regulator at 35psi I got such a better result, I wanted to go again on the actual car.
The weather was due to play ball, so followed hours of flatting, and masking getting ready.

One thing impressed me was how tough the paint was in taking the flatting and sanding prep before paint. I can be confident in the finish if I could get it how I want it.

The painting is the quick and easy bit once all the masking is done!

Well, it came out so much better than first time, and I'm really pleased with it now.
I guess it's just going through a process of trying and learning as you go.

Also found myself a white ph1 hatch locally, which 1) saves me a paint job on that and 2) Mean't I could clean it up and fit it straight away. £12 well spent! Not a perfect colour match but ok for now and will benefit from a good polish too.

And everything back together the next morning.

Just picked up some new top mounts. Went eccentric alloy type in the end as I think the bearing will tolerate the camber and castor on this set up better than a standard type. Need to weld in my turret tops now, but I think I've got mostly family time coming up this weekend, so progress might slow back down for a bit.

I've also come to the realisation that I'm not going to make my deadline for the Sprint I had booked in at Curborough next month, so I've handed my entry back Sad

My axle is ready to collect now, which will take me a big step forward, but I'm still missing some big bits of body work as well as a wheel in each corner (which I've heard is important) so I'll need to move my deadline on a bit, whilst still keeping myself honest..

Cheers
Iain

Posted 21st Jul 2017 at 13:11
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #141
Brilliant update Iain Thumbs up
Keep them coming m8:.....glad to read your pleased now ..
Posted 21st Jul 2017 at 14:40
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #142
I've been to Curborough quite a few times lately.
Hope to see you there soon!

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 21st Jul 2017 at 21:36
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #143
Was there Friday a week ago - with Metro 6R4.net lot and a fella I know who was shaking down his RS1700T for the first time before the Eifel rally last week. Only passengering tho! A certain Craig Breen popped along as well Smile

As predicted didn't get alot done this week.. Managed to fit my door and glass, with motor mech etc, then the next day the door seal. Unlike when I go to paint the sun shines, when I do doors or seals it rains! Still, I suppose thats the best way 'round.

Sorry for the crap pic, it was dark at 8pm the other night! I just plonked these on, but they seem to line up with the back end very well.

Was soo tempted to put my new carbon mirror on at this point but to be completely honest I couldn't remember where I'd put them (somewhere extra safe), and I'll still need to flat and polish, so better off not yet.

I also picked up my driveshafts this week after my mate had them the redo the CV joints, just as well as the company that extended them didn't break them down with much sympathy. All sorted now though.

And finally, today I went over to Andy's to collect my lovely new axle, incorporating the Briddgecraft 40mm wide-track spacer and stub axle. This axle is 21mm TB's, hybrid ARB, GpA 205 tarmac dampers, Baker BM mounts. Needless to say everything else new/reconditioned throughout. Better than new I would say. Andy does a top job, and without doubt is the man for axles.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X2hhzk]
[/url]

Sadly I didn't have time to fit it today, but I'm looking forward to it!!!!
That's all from me for now.
Cheers
Iain
Posted 23rd Jul 2017 at 20:33
Twangy

Senior User

Post #144
looking good iain

wayne mcardle
Posted 24th Jul 2017 at 22:13
robthe6

Senior User

Post #145
top job! looks mega!

1997 ph1 bianca GTI6 - The looker
1996 ph1 Sigma GTI6 - Dead Sad
1999 Red Rallye - The Daily
2005 Nissan Navara D40 - Family car
1968 Mustang Coupe - The dirty little secret
Put ya foot down, put ya foot down we'll loose em easy!
Posted 25th Jul 2017 at 10:02
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #146
Thanks fellas.
Got a sneaky hour on it this afternoon.
Thought I'd bolt the beam up. Heard folk say don't do it by yourself etc, but figured it's only a few bolts, how hard can it be? Fortunately not very!

Jacked it up and realised straight away keep the beam mounts fairly level would help the mount bolts thread their way through the boot floor better, so put some hard board under the rear-most mounts.

I rolled it under to get close and realised I needed to jack the end up even more to level it out so used whatever came to hand. It wasn't taking a lot of weight. Then afterwards I could use the trolley jack to pump the mounts through the holes and tighten the nuts up.

And home:

Didn't really torque it up, as at some point it'll end up sitting back down on the ground, and that's probably the time to roll it back and forth a bit then tighten things up fully.

It all went very smoothly and only took 20mins from start to finish, so chuffed with that. Especially as it seems like a big milestone.

I've got new discs and pads coming, so when I get those I can bolt them up, along with new studs, and finally finish off the rear brake lines, then the back is done mechanically.

With any luck I should be able to slap the other door on by the end of the weekend. Have also remembered to satin black paint the trailing edge of the window frame this time, so will need to go back to the one I've already fitted to do this.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 22:20
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #147
What wheels you going for ?

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 28th Jul 2017 at 19:14
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #148
Brakes are done Smile
Top job by a fella near Stockport Gaz Watson (he's on Facebook)

Posted 28th Jul 2017 at 21:14
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #149
birk wrote:
What wheels you going for ?

Hi Dan
I've got Speedline Turini's for my Road biased 17"s with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups

But I also had these in 18"s for the rallycross tires I have

Unfortunately these were the ones that turned out to be Ford centre bore with Es Cos offset (ET25) not what they were originally supposed to be. I've still got them, but need to find a cossie owner to sell them to! Would love to replace them with Peugeot specific ones in 18" when I have a spare grand...

Whats the score with your Dimma these days? Is it up and running and being used or are you working on the turbo conversion still?

Cheers
Iain
Posted 28th Jul 2017 at 21:21
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #150
Got pretty much a full day on this today. Decided to tackle the NS door.

As I mentioned before the inner panel on these doors is ph1, so some the door furniture fittings needed holes drilling to fit my ph2/3 (?) door cards.

With that done I could rivet them. This pic is after fitting up the wiring and starting with the seals, handles, and locks.

A scary moment - sorting the hole for the door lock

Plenty of carbon in this door skin!

9 hours later, a fully fitted door, with working lock, refurbed seals etc is complete!

One of the little wins along the way was sorting out the check strap thingy. By overhauling that I've got rid of the hair curling 'crack' crack' when I open and close the door. I'm also please to say it closes with a very re-assuring 'thunk' which sounds a lot more Mercedes than Peugeot.

I think I've cashed in all my garage tokens for the weekend in a one-er today, so I reckon that might be it for the weekend for me!

Have a good one
Iain
Posted 29th Jul 2017 at 22:09

Pages (11): first .. 5 [6] 7 .. last