displaying posts 1 to 25 of 57

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: My Bargain Bucket 6
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #1
This isn't gonna be a thread about stripping the engine and rebuilding the engine as I would have no idea where to start.. this is a project of being an absolute beginner with no clue what I'm doing and using purely the people who are kind enough to help me on this site as they have so far and what I can find on the internet.

I've wanted a 6 for a while now as my first car was a 1.4 306 and I loved it, just wish it had more poke, so this was the perfect opportunity in my eyes after I just rolled my £200 fiesta into some comfy bushes...

I bought a rough and ready Blaze 6 off ebay with no history, in the dark when it was raining with 2 months mot left on it. Think I was asking for trouble but got away with it sorta...

So got it an MOT within a week and it passed with only advisories, 2 front tyres, rear discs, rear axle minor play and front reg plate nearly unreadable. Phew!Big grin

So stuck some new PS3's on the front and got some discs and pads for the rear and off I go.

Initial changes were easy, new interior light cluster as the switch was broken, new glove box as previous owner decided to use screws and araldite to keep it shut rather than just pop a new lock in... Door check straps were missing so fitted a new pair, new rear parcel shelf cause the boot connector was missing, new passenger foot well cover as again was missing and new reg plates . Most done from a single trip down the scrappy for £20 Thumbs up

As the car has no history I had no idea when the cambelt was last changed, this is definitely not something I'm gonna do, so took it to the good guys at Pug1Off for a new cambelt and waterpump and service. I also asked them can you have a look around the car and just check there is nothing that is going to make me cry... And nope seems all good, the rear beam does need doing but not the end of the world Smile So about £600 later new cambelt, waterpump, abs sensor, a new oil cap and fuel lines changed happy days.

So after some clear side repeaters to she wasn't looking too bad...

Decided to fit an original gear knob and get the drivers seat re-trimmed to, makes a hell of a difference. This was the nasty smelly seat I took from an old phase 1 xsi I was driving around on for a week or so though...

This is the seat before the retrim

And this is it after and fitted, £80 well spent I'd say! Big grin Decided to fit an original gear knob to makes a big difference!

Starting to gather a few parts now to fit so hopefully get them on before FCS on the 3rd June Smile some new alloys that need a clean and some new rubber on them before they go on:

Got a front splitter that needs a lick of paint before going on and still need to fit the rear discs... and some new clear front fogs Smile she will be looking good soon hopefully!

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 13:43
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Good lad buying a 6, I also wanted one for ages and my second car was a 1.6 meridian 5 door when I was 18. Now 27 and on my 3rd 6 just love them. blaze looks good clean with lots of black so good choice with the black cyclones

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 20th May 2016 at 14:49
sergioiacobucci

Senior User

Post #3
Looks great mate....most people don't like them but I love a Blaze!

Phase 1 silver track car
335i daily
Posted 20th May 2016 at 15:43

Regular

Post #4
Thanks yeah need to get some paintwork sorted before it will look properly clean, that's one of my next steps when I find the monies Smile cant wait to get the anthracite alloys on! There is something about the 306, i had an ibiza then a 207 then a fiesta now back to the 306 feels like home. Yeah I love the Blaze to, definitely a marmite colour though

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 20th May 2016 at 16:26
deeturbo

Regular

Post #5
Wow, that seat! Not seen one that bad before.

Do you mind me asking where you got the retrim done, looks great now.

What was up with the fuel lines?
Posted 21st May 2016 at 20:44

Regular

Post #6
Yeah was terrible, made the whole interior look rubbish, I did cheat a bit with the retrim.... got it done in suede in a very similar colour as it's allot cheaper than alcantara and doesn't wear as quickly or easily. Cost £80 instead of £140 and done by a company called Autotrim which is one guy in Milton Keynes done a great job Yes
http://m.autotrimmer.co.uk
The fuel lines were perished in the engine bay and we're leaking slighty at the joines

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 21st May 2016 at 21:45
deeturbo

Regular

Post #7
That's great, they're not too far from me.

Yeah the little short ones from the plastic to the fuel rail?

Mine don't look to good, I'll replace them before they get any worse.
Posted 21st May 2016 at 21:52

Regular

Post #8
quote:
Yeah the little short ones from the plastic to the fuel rail?

Yeah exactly! Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 21st May 2016 at 22:00

Regular

Post #9
Got my alloys on, very happy with the new look Smile

Also gave it a bit of a clean with help from my mate and his now sparkling trophy

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 13:44

Regular

Post #10
Just a couple of things managed to swap out the rear discs and pads, never done that before on any car so was quite happy how simple it actually was and definitely needed it!

My new brembo discs and pads Smile

And I swapped out my bulk head heat shield for a stainless steel one from pug_306, even though my engine bay is pretty filthy still lifts it a bit Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 13:58
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #11
Needs black masks! LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 22:36

Regular

Post #12
Maybe but I think that may make the black look a little OTT but that may change Smile

So I have fitted a spare wheel cage so I don't get a load of sh*t from my misses if I get a puncture and can't sort it, stuck one of my old cyclones in Smile

Took out the old rubbish head unit to find someone had botched the install and twisted and taped the cables together so when I pulled it out everything came apart... Thumbs down

Managed to get that sorted by an autoleccy and got a new unit fitted Smile

Swapped out the standard door speakers for some Alpine SXE-1275's which is 100% better especially as mine would cut out intermittently and buzz...

Old:

New:

Got a manifold decal off of Rikky which makes the engine bay a little cleaner but next job is to give it a good scrub!

Painted the calipers red with some hammerite, not a pro job and needs another coat but I think it sets off the alloys quite well Smile

Before:

After:

Still need to fit a upper steering column, front fogs, front splitter and door wiring loom.

Anyone know a good way of prepping the splitter to make it look original? Ideally I don't want to paint it cause I want it to match the colour of the grill.

Got a few pics from FCS where its looking pretty good if I do say so myself Big grin

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 14:09

Regular

Post #13
So small update fixed a few niggly things that were bugging me, first of which was the up and down movement of the steering column, which seemed to be caused by the upper bearing. I bought a unit from another 6 on ebay, fitted it and it made the drive so much better! It felt a little like the car floated over the road but not in a good way, now you can get allot more feel off the road through the steering wheel... so old one out

New one in

Looks like you can get a replacement bearing though as it says 'Nadella Deltaflex DG 138 PAT BTE' not sure where you would source this from though?:

Then I fitted an OMP upper strut brace with some slightly longer bolts from peugeot as suggested and it fit like a glove, but then I noticed the servo depression hose was looking rusty and crap and the oil cap was leaking again so replaced that to made a nice difference and an easy swap, happy days Smile

Old hose out, new hose in Smile

The the clutch cable clip snapped, so got to work replacing that, no pics as it is a horrible job where you can't see much anyway but the thread on here was a huge help with the replacement and it seems it was way overdue as it has made the clutch so much nicer and softer and no longer crunches into reverse! Woop! I also noticed a couple of subframe bolts were missing which was a bit of a worry as they seem pretty critical, got a couple of replacements and they went in smooth, was so happy I didn't hit a sheared bolt or something!! Also got some mist jets to fit fingers crossed I won't have any issues with the spray direction Smile

Also picked up a free rear beam off of Dave (Gnrlee), thanks mate! Just waiting to find the monies to get it rebuilt will have to be after new year now as Christmas has skinted me No but fingers crossed will be done soon! I am a little worried about giving it to Jord to refurb as it looks horrendous so tempted to offer it as a replacement for imaxles cause i don't care if I give them a knackered beam...

Here is the beam in question:

Whats peoples thoughts on the beam?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 14:46
rikky 🦔

Post #14
just paint that black and sell it on ebay as refurbished Whistle

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 16:06
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
I'm happy to take that in px Thumbs up

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 16:36

Regular

Post #16
Oh cheers, that makes life simpler Smile Ill be in contact after new year sometime if that's okay?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 16:41
robthe6

Senior User

Post #17
Good stuff buddy! We need to have a banbury 6 meet! LOL

1997 ph1 bianca GTI6 - The looker
1996 ph1 Sigma GTI6 - Dead Sad
1999 Red Rallye - The Daily
2005 Nissan Navara D40 - Family car
1968 Mustang Coupe - The dirty little secret
Put ya foot down, put ya foot down we'll loose em easy!
Posted 16th Dec 2016 at 10:31

Regular

Post #18
Thanks, still a long way to go and allot to learn! Yeah would love to see what my 6 eventually could look like, apart from a bag of bolts in a cool wrapper haha

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 16th Dec 2016 at 15:26

Regular

Post #19
So had my MOT and sorta went as expected failed on the trailing arm play, rear fog light out, head light aim and parking brake efficiency... So replaced fog bulb, turns out I put the headlight bulb in upside down Whistle, so spun it the right way up, tightened the handbrake cables under the centre console and then onto the beam... So Ryan (pug_306) had a low milage vts beam for sale and a trip down to chambers for fitting:
New beam going in

Gotta say a big thanks to those two!! Life savers!!! And very knowledgeable lads!!

Then time for the retest and other than a close call on emissions nearly a clean sheet Big grin

So looking to get a new CAT soon and a couple off ball joints should fly through the next one, but wanna look at getting a full stainless system this year and replace the sportex kit as it's a bit too loud at the mo.

Replaced the door pins to stop the doors clunking open and shut and still a few more bits to do but got a years more motoring to get it all sorted happy days!! Thumbs up

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 14:47
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Looking good.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th Feb 2017 at 18:55
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Bet it's handling alot better now buddy ;-)

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 19th Feb 2017 at 19:31

Regular

Post #22
Yeah it was very skitty before like the rear end was trying to overtake me on tight corners but its now so much more planted!

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 20th Feb 2017 at 12:23
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #23
this is starting to look really tidy big thumbs up Smile definatly agree that blaze is a marmite colour u either like it or u don't. and i love my blaze 6 lol
Posted 20th Feb 2017 at 14:54

Regular

Post #24
Cheers mate, yeah the blaze is my favourite colour tbh I also like how it stands out in the car park compared to all the blue/silver/white cars everyone else has. Thought I'd do a small update been slow progress as just moved, but I now have a drive woop!!! Big grin

So managed to get a door leak after replacing the drivers door, had to replace the wiring within the door as the replacement door was ph2 and my door was wired for a ph3 or something like that... Ended up removing most of the inner door membranes so decide to patch up the holes with dust sheets and happy days, leak cured! Doesn't look the best but atleast its hidden and functional... Whistle

Got some new metal pressed plates, the old were okay just thought they looked good and couldn't resist...

Also got some shiny bits! Picked up a second hand scorpion backbox and a nearly new Klarius centre section from DeeTurbo (thank you!)and an OEM cat from Carl Chambers, so new system ready also picked up all new OEM clamps and CAT fitting kit from the local dealer... Will hopefully, once its on, be able to drive for more than half an hour without needing a handful of anadin...

Gotta love shiny bits...

This a pick of the klarius section (bottom) against OEM (top) pretty good match id say but guess ill know once it's fitted

Also fitted those little white hockey stick clips as both mine were broken and it was annoying and looked crap when they kept popping out, while I was at it sorted the drivers side headlight beam aim, turned out to be a load of green crap over the connectors so gave them a good clean and happy days Smile

Then thought I best give it a bit of a clean Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 14:47

Regular

Post #25
So I haven't done a huge amount since the last update but thought I would update anyway...

I gave the 6 a service, oil, oil filter and plugs and changed the pipercross foam cone filter for a k&N and think this was well over due!

The plugs were looking good after 20K Smile

I also cleaned the ICV as the engine kept dieing when using the clutch to come to a stop, it seems the revs dropped too low and the ICV wasn't catching the revs before it died... Hasn't really made a huge amount of difference. I think because it was a little rusty. So my new ICV arrived today and hopefully will fit it later on if it doesn't rain Smile

I have replaced the ebay cat with an OEM cat and the sportex backbox with a scorpion system the car sounds so much nicer now! No more headaches and I can actually talk to the passengers Smile I also sprayed the rear wiper arm as it was looking a little tatty Smile

I've replaced the bonnet with a moonstone bonnet which I've sticker bombed with around 700 stickers.. I also painted the badge black. This is only temporary till I get the original bonnet repainted. Think it is very much a marmite look... I quite like it though Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 16th Aug 2017 at 10:39

Pages (3): [1] 2 3