displaying posts 26 to 50 of 57

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: My Bargain Bucket 6
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #26
So did a few bits at the weekend. Finally got round to fitting the new fogs and changed the gearbox oil for total 75w/80 gear 8. Much needed I'd say now the gear change between 1st and 2nd when cold is now allot smoother.

Nice new fogs Smile

And still got some nice shiny bits to go on soon Smile

Took a trip to trax which was good fun, only 306 on show that I could find which was a bit of a shame...

Hoping to do Bedford Autodrome on the 20th Nov first track session so fingers crossed all goes well!! Big grin

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 18th Oct 2017 at 12:48
99rallye

Regular

Post #27
Good luck at Bedford.....you'll be hooked after that!
Posted 18th Oct 2017 at 15:42

Regular

Post #28
Thanks yeah just hope nothing pops! Can't wait to finally drive it like its meant to be driven Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 18th Oct 2017 at 15:46
99rallye

Regular

Post #29
It will be fine. They are built to take a fair amount of abuse. Just make sure you do proper warm up and cool down laps
Posted 19th Oct 2017 at 13:11
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #30
Those gear linkages are fun to install!,..
But a great upgrade! At least they wont split and pop off! Thumbs up

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 19th Oct 2017 at 14:59

Regular

Post #31
Yeah not sure whether to attack from the top or bottom at the mo... do you get good room if you take the battery tray out? Also heard they can be noisy which is a bit of a worry...

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 19th Oct 2017 at 15:30
99rallye

Regular

Post #32
I did mine from the top, it wasn't too bad. Just a bit fiddly and required a bit of patience! Put something underneath the car if you do it from the top to catch the pins when you drop them.
Posted 20th Oct 2017 at 13:54

Regular

Post #33
So small update thought as I was replacing the injectors may as well tidy up the fuel rail so old ones out and new ones in Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 31st Oct 2017 at 13:44
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Get your pics and vids up from Bedford! Thumbs up

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 22nd Nov 2017 at 08:48
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Looking good Oliver ....
Good luck and hope you had a great time at Bedford Thumbs up

Keep the updates coming m8
Posted 22nd Nov 2017 at 18:47

Regular

Post #36
So had a bit of a car day last weekend and managed to get front powerflex wishbone mounts fitted and rear partner p bushes. Defo needing doing as the old pbushes were knackered! Espeicially drivers side, this could have been from not having the subframe bolts in when I bought the car...

So old Pbushes off

And replacement fitted:

Powerflex mounts fitted, were much more of a pain than expected but got there eventually Smile

Need to replace the passenger side ball joint, but looks like it is riveted on so that could be fun, I have ordered the 16mm replacement and will also need to order a drill and angle grinder...

Also replaced the lower engine mount bush a sthe old was very perished and had a slight tear, you could see the mount was sitting towards the bulk head to, so old one hacked out and new one nice and snug Smile

Also removed the front brake lines and fitted braided replacements, the union was bit of a bugger drivers side but managed to undo with the help of vice grips Whistle

So nice new braided lines, used the gunsons easybleed kit to which worked a treat Smile

So bedford has came and went after all the work on the front end feels like I may have overlooked the rear, the front felt like it was on rails but the rear was a shopping trolley as some of you may have seen the vid on facebook...

Bedford November Oh dear...

Taken from a diy cam mount that worked perfectly btw, also attached it to drivers head rest to reduce the risk of stabbing me in the face and added plastic moulds on the end which isn't in the pic Smile

Got some good pics though Smile

You can just see Simons Rallye about to fly past me in the last pic Smile

So on the to do list:

- Rear braided lines and new brake fluid
- Passenger side ball joint
- New tyres all round
- Kam racing gear linkages
- Clutch and cambelt + waterpump

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 27th Nov 2017 at 13:20
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Ah was just gonna say you can see my rallye poking out. Rear looks to be giving you no confidence at all!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 27th Nov 2017 at 14:05

Regular

Post #38
Yeah gonna get decent tyres next time not Avons and may look at getting the beam recond. I wasn't even going very fast which was the annoying thing, I knew if I pushed the back end would have a mind of it's own. I pushed on the last lap of the day spun twice and got black flagged lol then that was enough for me.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 27th Nov 2017 at 14:24
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
I’ve got a beam coming off Mine if you need part ex and want to keep yours road worthy

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 27th Nov 2017 at 18:03
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Didn't see anywhere what shocks you're running? Can only be so many things at the back and I can't believe it's the Avon tyres.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 27th Nov 2017 at 21:15

Regular

Post #41
They are VTS shocks that came with the beam as they were in better condition than the oem shocks. I would love to get a B12 set eventually or GAZ.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 28th Nov 2017 at 10:15
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Looking Great Oliver ...don’t forget above tyre pressures too when on track m8 ...that can cause big issues also Thumbs up
Posted 30th Nov 2017 at 06:54
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
I would've suggested the same, but i think much less of an issue than normal. I had been finding all day that the wet track was really keeping them down. I went for 22/24 cold and was barely getting them hot on the windy but wet day. (This was also on road tyres due to the rain.)

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 2nd Dec 2017 at 15:46
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
I tend to do three laps, immediately check pressures, then four/five and do the same. Start at road pressure and work down to about 30psi hot.

Nothing to see here
Posted 2nd Dec 2017 at 22:41

Regular

Post #45
So small update I have had my clones refurbed and ready to go on with two new pilot sport 3 tyres Smile

Changed the power steering fluid over and now the pump is much quieter Smile

Then came out my house just before I was meant to drive to Gatwick to find this Sad

Took the inlet manifold off and had a gander, looked like it was coming from the oil pressure sensor:

So ordered a new sensor and a ptfe gasket before I went on holiday and now it's mostly back together, just waiting for the weekend to put the manifold bolts in and a couple pipes. I've ordered some SS nuts with an extra 5mm in length to make up for the thicker gasket. Fingers crossed all is well when I can start it up again as MOT on the the 19th Feb :/.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 16th Jan 2018 at 13:46
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Random that your sensor decided to start spewing oil out, but lucky that you were vigilant enough to spot it before driving a long journey!

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 17th Jan 2018 at 09:27

Regular

Post #47
Yeah it was coming through the pins in the sensor it seems... bit annoying as the sensor doesn't actually plug into anything so not really needed...

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 17th Jan 2018 at 10:00
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
It should be for your low pressure light iirc. Granted you’ll have big problems if it ever came on, but yeah.

Handy for cranking after periods standing and that’s about it..

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Posted 17th Jan 2018 at 22:17

Regular

Post #49
But I don't think there is anything to read the sensor, i read up its only used on the PH1 engine as far as I can tell.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 18th Jan 2018 at 13:15

Regular

Post #50
Another small update, managed to get through the MOT with a clean sheet after sorting the mistakes I made fitting the new strut and using the spare wheel I had woop!! 12 more months of tinkering and playing! 

As I said in a previous post managed to fix the oil leak to roll of the drive and have the drivers side spring snap:

As I rolled it back onto the drive the spring decided to gauge through the sidewall of the tyre... they were on limits as it was anyway so not the end of the world just kind of annoying so two new front tyres needed...

Managed to get the strut out and it turns out it had snapped at both the bottom and the top, thought that a bit weird but means I get to buy some new shiny bits Smile

So I managed to get the spring off and replace it and stick the strut back in to get it mobile again, but have ordered some new KYB Ultra SR dampers, need to stick the nearly new OEM springs on and Im going to buy some new dust boots, bump stops,  bearings and top mounts to suite Smile

Me and the misses are in the process of buying our first house so probably won't get it all fitted till April but look forward to seeing how the Ultra SRs perform Smile

Decided to fix a minor leak from the brake vacuum pump with a new o-ring Smile You could tell the old o-ring was  well past it, very easy job and defo recommend if yours is leaking.

You could tell the old ring was leaking from the bottom down the side of the engine bay:

It was very brittle and perished too.. snapped when taking it out...

So back on with new o-ring (44mm x 2mm) and fingers crossed no more leaks Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 26th Feb 2018 at 13:32

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3