displaying posts 26 to 50 of 54

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Creating a blue print for a Maxi rep
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #26
phillipm wrote:
I have to say I've never seen the point of taking something as well balanced and adjustable as a 306 and then sticking old ford subframes, suspension and drivetrain under the shell.

You've basically then got something that handles, goes and steers like a shonky old Ford disguised as a 306. A car that's only really sought after for it's handling characteristics...

By the same token, I can't really see why folks would build HB 450hp cars in FWD!!?? Power understeer must be entertaining, even with a competent LSD!?

The 306 may be adjustable and balanced but in FWD format. I much prefer rear/4WD.... I may even get myself a Nissan 200SX rear end, graft that on and mate it up to the YB/saph 4WD front end.

As I say, it's still pie-in-the-sky but it's been something I've been toying with for a while. Will spend a bit of time having a think about the best way to approach this but when all is said and done, I'll do as I please...

Thumbs up

TT
Posted 15th May 2016 at 12:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #27
because they dont drive anything like any other 450 bhp engine.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th May 2016 at 12:49
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
I have some wide arch FG front wings in the garage if anyone wants them

Was considering this route myself but it's not affordable for me

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th May 2016 at 13:07
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #29
adam b wrote:
I have some wide arch FG front wings in the garage if anyone wants them

Was considering this route myself but it's not affordable for me

Where you based, how much you want for them and what condition they in???

TT
Posted 15th May 2016 at 15:38
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #30
I think some of my comments have been misconstrued, and perhaps some folk aren't really contributing to the idea behind the thread.

The moment any of us start tinkering with cars, and some of us have tinkered more than most, the comments of why do this, why do that look pretty shaky to say the least.

We should embrace the notion that folk are trying to improve their cars, especially if they're seeking ideas.

I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to YB and RWD my 306, but I was trying to stimulate ideas behind widening the track on the front. Anyone that has tinkered with mounts, camber, castor, wishbones and ARB's is no different - they're trying to gain something that Peugeot didn't give them. I've got some Cossie stuff left over from a 480bhp 3dr track car hence my musings.

Look at Ford motorsport alloy TCA's and comp struts (original 909 stuff or remade versions) - they look incredibly similar to the wishbones that are out there for Peugeot wide track stuff and much cheaper if you know where to look.

We're all in the same box, just differing skills, methods, objectives and budgets. I feel sure there's some component cross over potential to a project idea like this that goes beyond spacers but stops short of bespoke engineering.

Cheers
Iain

Posted 15th May 2016 at 22:08
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Yeah same boat mate. I hope satchwell come up with the answer. I'll be using a ml 5 speed so hopefully some of this will work with mine

Cheers for starting this thread

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 15th May 2016 at 22:13
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #32
Tarmac terror wrote:
Giving serious thought to going down the Maxi route with the Rallye!! However, it will probably feature my (currently) part built YB and saph 4WD F/R subframes.....
Have al;ways had a hankering for a 4WD 306 since I saw Andy Burtons way back in the day.....

However, this wont happen until I finish the Skyline, probably by early Jan 17.

On a related note, does anyone know if there's a massive difference between the MC Racing kit and the AC-Sport one?? I can see a roadtrip with van to the south of France at some stage perhaps!!??

Will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest..

TT

The MC photos are watermarked aren't they, but the AC stuff doesn't offer any photos of the kit other than a complete car. They do offer a lot of kevlar underbody protection which looks nicely done and you don't see it anywhere else, which at least suggests they can mfr to a decent level themselves?

Given the cost and effort though to go a pick it up, I think I'd rather be ordering from Maxi motorsport! If you get stung by customs for import duty as well then you'll end up paying more than purchasing here..
Posted 15th May 2016 at 22:18
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
There is already a Dimma 306 running Saph Cosworth running gear, I nearly bought it about 10 years ago. I took it for a test drive and have never been so disappointed in my entire life. Heavy and agricultural spring to mind, I've never driven a Ford Cosworth, but I can't imagine I would like it given how this 306 drove. The drive home in the Rallye afterwards was enlightening and I really appreciated how good a car it is.

Keep to the original plan! Main hurdle is front and rear widening, it can be reasonably easily achieved depending on how deep your pockets are. Speak to Harry Hockley motorsport, they have done front and rear suspension for 106 Maxi's, can't imagine a 306 would be msiively different.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 15th May 2016 at 23:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
In my eyes there's a big difference between trying to improve or enhance what Peugeot did to start with, and honking a Pug shell over some mashed together jap and ford subframes and drivegear and hoping it drives straight most of the time Wink
And this is from some that helped wedge a TVR V8 in the back of a 306....

The only really difficult part about widening the track is the driveshafts, and fortunately there the Pug out CV knuckles are pretty interchangable with bigger Pug models that have wider shafts. But if you're wanting to put proper power down then you're better off with custom shafts and joints anyway.

Or just pick the welder up, buy some tube and get on with it. LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th May 2016 at 00:06
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #35
Maximotorsport were really good, gave me a price for the parts i needed including delivery to my door (well my works door) and approximate delivery date, though they were ready before expected.
I am fiddling around with the front suspension at the moment, wings are back off for trimming and reshaping the part that fits under the headlamps. Definately need the wishbone moving forward 20mm over standard to stop the wheels fouling the arches and bottom of the wings, with bigger diameter wheels.
I think most people previously have trawled the net and the forum for tips and tricks as what to do when building their own Maxi or Dimma. Or if you have loads of money just take it to a garage and say "build me one of these". Yeah there are a few options of how to go about it, each to their own and what fits the purpose.
Posted 16th May 2016 at 11:38
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #36
Thanks for your input mate, much appreciated.
That 20mm extra forward position you need will be all in extra castor presumably? Sounds a lot though.
Do you think your steering rack will cope ok with the change in position?

I've done a fair bit of trawling, but I think folk go a bit vague in relation to stuff like spacers and so on for fear of criticism. I've yet to see exactly what is being done to existing wishbones. One thread I found suggested that Dimma in Belgium can still provide components?
Posted 16th May 2016 at 21:44
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
I was under the impression that the dimma wishbones were very similar to the standard ones in terms of being pressed steel, but longer or had been cut then an extension welded in.
I could be talking BS though, my memory can be terrible Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th May 2016 at 21:58
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
prism7guy wrote:
I was under the impression that the dimma wishbones were very similar to the standard ones in terms of being pressed steel, but longer or had been cut then an extension welded in.
I could be talking BS though, my memory can be terrible Laugh

I've definitely seen some like you describe, look almost identical to standard, just longer. Not sure if they are from another peugeot or if they were specially made by Dimma though. Some nice tubular ones would be what I aim for though!

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 16th May 2016 at 22:59
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #39
I'm pretty sure they were cut and shut standard items too mate.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 16th May 2016 at 23:03
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #40
yeah, cut ant shut with added castor angle and the top mount moved outwards.

satchell wishbones will do that too, without having two welds in the middle of the arm.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th May 2016 at 23:15
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #41
Does anyone know what custom wishbones are costing? The idea of cut and shut originals is maybe not the best. In theory they're a simple thing to make but depends how the mfr load up the value of their research and IP.
Posted 17th May 2016 at 07:42
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #42
youre probably looking at around £5-600 for just the wishbones.

the satchell front end is around the 2k mark, but its a fully strengthened subframe, wishbones, hubs and revised rack height.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th May 2016 at 10:25
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #43
I have only seen pictures of the longer Dimma wishbones, they look like pressed steel, galvanised items.
Enquired about buying just the wishbones on their own, but was told that Dimma Belgium would group lots of items together then ship them over, so could wait for months to get them, no idea on price though. Aren't those Maxi wishbones available from Peugeot Sport for £900?.
Posted 17th May 2016 at 10:39
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #44
On Martin Jones's thread from a while back on his rallying exploits with Jon Fossards old Dimma http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=87633
He posts a pic of the wishbones in posts 16-18
It doesn't appear to be an extended arm, but an OEM arm 40mm wider. I am sure I have seen a post somewhere of an extended arm, but this looks more OEM to me. He describes it as a Dimma arm.
Dispatch van perhaps?
The truth is out there somewhere!
Posted 17th May 2016 at 10:59
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #45
welshpug! wrote:
youre probably looking at around £5-600 for just the wishbones.

the satchell front end is around the 2k mark, but its a fully strengthened subframe, wishbones, hubs and revised rack height.

That's good to know thanks mate. Always figured the subframe could greatly influence the (positive) outcome of something like this, but seldom see it mentioned. Are they using 307 hubs in these as well?
Posted 17th May 2016 at 11:01
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
~£500 for a pair of wishbones in T45, maybe a knats cheaper in CDS.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th May 2016 at 11:01
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #47
http://www.mikadoracing.com/annonces/detail_annonces.php?id_annonce=1774051&categ=7

Just found this, on my tea break at the moment.
Posted 17th May 2016 at 11:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #48
I believe its a 406 hub they're using, its 307 on their 106 kits as they needed a more positive location due to where the steering arm is.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 17th May 2016 at 12:38
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #49
Nice, but I think Phil has them on price somewhat! Are you turning this kit out yourself Phil? I can see in your sig you're no stranger to roll cages by the look of it.. Forgive me if you've covered this before I'm a bit newer to site judging by your post count.
Posted 17th May 2016 at 12:57
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #50
welshpug! wrote:
I believe its a 406 hub they're using, its 307 on their 106 kits as they needed a more positive location due to where the steering arm is.

Do 406 uprights/hubs take the same size damper do you know? I'm not very familiar with 406 stuff.. how about driveshafts? Clearly Brembos would bolt on so thats an easy win... Thumbs up
Posted 17th May 2016 at 17:06

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3